PDA

View Full Version : Dan Marino Quits...

Troy
02-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Article Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1724780)

MIAMI -- Dan Marino resigned as senior vice president of the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday, only three weeks after accepting a job to return to the team he quarterbacked for 17 seasons.

"I have decided that it would not be in the best interests of either my family or the Dolphins to assume the role as the team's senior vice president of football operations," Marino said in a statement released by the team.

Two days earlier, team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Marino was having second thoughts about his role, which had yet to be defined.

Sources told Mortensen then that Marino discussed his future with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, but it was not an indication that Marino would resign. Huizenga had offered to give Marino some time off after the Super Bowl to think about the change in lifestyle his role will require.

"I am disappointed in Dan's decision, especially since I think he would have made an outstanding football executive," Huizenga said. "But I understand his reasons, and I support his decision to reorder the priorities in his life."

Marino and Huizenga had often discussed the notion of the franchise favorite's return to the Dolphins, and the marquee move of an offseason front-office shakeup seemed to be Marino's hiring.

What Marino's role exactly would be -- or whether he indeed would have one -- was expected to be determined in the next week.

Marino denied Mortensen's report before taking the air for CBS' Super Bowl XXXVIII coverage. But 48 hours later, he made the move.

"When it became clear that Wayne was looking to bring in a high-level football executive, I approached him about the position," Marino said. "I knew it would involve a significant lifestyle change but after further reflection, it became clear that those adjustments were ones that my family and I are not prepared to make at this time."

Marino played for the Dolphins from 1983-99 and took them to the 1985 Super Bowl, where they lost to San Francisco. He holds league records with 61,361 yards passing and 420 touchdown passes.

A new position was created for Marino, who had planned to leave his analyst job for CBS Sports and HBO in order to come back to the Dolphins.

Huizenga said the Dolphins will begin searching for "a senior executive who has an extensive football background" to join Miami's management team and oversee football operations. It has not been determined if that person would have the same title Marino was given in his short stint as an executive.

The organizational reshuffling came after Huizenga stripped head coach Dave Wannstedt of having final say in personnel matters, a move prompted by two straight seasons without a playoff appearance by the Dolphins, the first time since 1988-89.

After a lengthy search for a general manager, during which at least seven candidates were interviewed, the team chose to promote Rick Spielman from senior vice president to GM. Spielman, though, would report to Marino, who was placed behind only Huizenga and team president Eddie Jones in the Dolphins' executive hierarchy.

Concern also was raised about Marino's ability to work with Wannstedt. Marino has had a strained relationship with Wannstedt in the past; Marino retired reluctantly in March 2000, two months after Wannstedt was hired as coach.

At the Jan. 12 news conference announcing Marino's hiring, Huizenga seemed angered by a question about the perception Marino's hiring would be little more than a cosmetic move.

"Here's a guy who's on CBS and HBO and making four jillion dollars a year to work there," Huizenga said. "He's not going to quit a job like that to come here for somebody to say it's just a figurehead job. This is serious business here."

ALinChainz
02-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Some shit I just don't get. Seems like a big waste of time. All of a sudden, he doesn;t have the time, something is up. He isn't some idiot who didn't know how clubs are run.

Polk High
02-03-2004, 08:54 PM
I think he realized he can't be drunk everyday and hang out w/ joe namath on the sidelines picking up sideline reporters

Troy
02-03-2004, 10:13 PM
I don't know. Maybe he realized how sweet a deal tv was. Maybe it was just me, but he seemed sort of sad when the guys said goodbye to him. Maybe it was just an act. Maybe he still holds some kind of grudge... I never knew he reluctantly retired in 2000. He couldn't move anymore I thought he felt he had to.

Sarge
02-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Marino was through in 2000
He needed to retire.
It's a shame about the job. Maybe he got in there and saw exactly what his role was and said forget it..

ALinChainz
02-03-2004, 11:16 PM
It was time for him to go. The achilles is a bad deal all the way around.

They made the big stink about that reporter asking if they were just creating a position for him. Huizenga stepped in for Marino and gave the guy hell.

Now he quits before he gets started, just seems fucked.

Troy
02-03-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm sure it was because he found out he couldn't get Kurt Warner! ;)

ALinChainz
02-04-2004, 12:00 AM
There is still a possibility that they try and get Mark Brunell to be their starter in 2004. They would like to have an upgrade at the position for sure, and are one of the teams going to Houston to watch Henson work out.

Troy
02-04-2004, 12:07 AM
I think Brunell would be a good fit there if he can still scramble well.

ALinChainz
02-04-2004, 12:15 AM
I think he would be too. He should still have enough legs to keep himself out of trouble. He should be able to make Chris Chambers a better receiver and bigger red zone threat, and this past season riding the bench saved his body from its normal wear and tear. Got a good running game for the stellar play-action. He would give the Fins a chance to win sooner than later. Add Henson to that and get Marino to do a little tutoring.

DLR7884
02-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Chris Chambers would be a star if he were on any other team besides the Dolphins.

DLR7884
Is he a free agent?

Troy
02-04-2004, 12:41 AM
I agree 100%. Chambers is wasting away down there. They need a sold #2 also.

Troy
02-04-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty sure he's not a FA. I could be wrong though.

DLR7884
02-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Well, last year was his 3rd year.

So he may be restricted.

DLR7884
They do need a #2 WR worth a damn.

redblkwht
02-04-2004, 02:05 AM
He probabally found out he couldnt fire wanny the weiner..
They need a legit QB to contend period.

DLR7884
02-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Yeah Wandstadt (sp?) is a complete bozo.

Example....2002 regular season....some of you may remember this.

It's the first drive of the game and Ricky rips off about a 47 year run down to the 1 yard line, on maybe the 3 play from scrimmage.

He was close to scoring, but not very...Wandstadt decides to challenge the ruling on the field even though it is first and goal at the 1 yard line and his offense moved the ball about 70 yards in 3 plays.

Well, the challenge failed, to nobody's surprise, and the Dolphins scored on the next play. So he basically wasted a timeout for his team within the first 3 minutes of the game.

Nice job coach.

DLR7884
You're a real winner.