PDA

View Full Version : Expos' move to D.C. on verge of collapse

Lou
12-16-2004, 08:15 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-expos-washington

Washington's baseball dream 'close to dying'

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
December 16, 2004

AP - Dec 14, 5:09 pm EST
More Photos

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Baseball's response to Washington's lawmakers was strong, swift and ominous. Or, as Mayor Anthony A. Williams put it: ``The dream of 33 years is now once again close to dying.''

On Wednesday, Major League Baseball shut down business and promotional operations indefinitely for the team that has been relocating from Montreal. Baseball essentially gave the city 15 days to change its mind about a new financing plan, or else the search could begin anew for a permanent home for the troubled franchise.

At issue is a measure passed late Tuesday by the District of Columbia Council, which voted to approve the Expos' move to Washington if private financing is used for at least half the cost of building a stadium. Baseball has been adamant that a stadium be funded with 100 percent government money up front, as stipulated in a September agreement negotiated with Williams.

``The legislation is inconsistent with our carefully negotiated agreement and is wholly unacceptable to Major League Baseball,'' said Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer.

Season-ticket sales were immediately halted, and the 16,000 fans who have made $300 deposits can ask for a refund. The stadium store, which had sold more than $100,000 in caps and other merchandise over 3 1/2 weeks, was shut indefinitely at the close of business Wednesday. The unveiling of uniforms with the team's new name, the Washington Nationals, was postponed. A hiring freeze was implemented.

Only the baseball side of the operation will continue to function as usual, although the sudden drop in revenue will hamper general manager Jim Bowden's ability to sign players.

``Don't expect us to spend a lot of money at this point,'' team president Tony Tavares said. ``We will continue to try to the make the team competitive, but I don't expect to us to be a big buyer.''

Washington has until Dec. 31 to work out an arrangement acceptable to baseball. That's when the agreement with the city expires, allowing baseball to reopen the process of selecting a permanent host city. The Council could reconsider its vote in light of baseball's reaction, debating again the issue of how much tax money should not be used to fund a sports facility in a city in dire need of better schools and other public services.

Whatever the possible compromises, the days are running short.

``We'll use them all, every minute of every hour of every day, and all of us move to the middle,'' Williams' spokesman Chris Bender said. ``It's ninth inning, second out, we have to make it happen.''

DuPuy did not address where the team would play its 2005 home schedule if the deal with Washington falls through. It remains unclear whether baseball would move the franchise to Washington's RFK Stadium on a temporary basis, remain at Montreal's Olympic Stadium or go to another city.

The developments were stunning to fans who have been waiting for baseball since the Washington Senators move to Texas following the 1971 season.

``It's like you're in a 100-yard dash, and you're one yard away from the finish line,'' said Charlie Brotman, longtime Senators public address announcer and a prominent advocate for baseball's return. ``You're beating everybody, and all of a sudden you've got a cramp, and you lose. It's raining on our parade.''

Council Chair Linda W. Cropp proposed the private financing amendment, which was approved 10-3 after she threatened to withhold support from the overall package, which then passed in a 7-6 vote.

``I am not trying to kill the deal,'' Cropp said. ``I'm putting some teeth in it because I'm really disappointed with what I got from Major League Baseball.''

AP - Dec 14, 5:08 pm EST
More Photos

The September agreement estimated the cost of building the ballpark and refurbishing RFK Stadium at $435 million, but critics claimed it would cost far more. The proposal, as initially approved by the council on Nov. 30, called for Washington to issue up to $531 million in bonds to cover the cost.

``We had a deal. I believe the deal was broken, and the dream of 33 years is now once again close to dying. I would say close,'' Williams said.

Meanwhile, some of the communities that had lost out in the bidding for the team prepared to resume their efforts to lure the franchise.

``If the opportunity arises for the Expos again, we are going to be standing there along with everyone else,'' said Will Somerindyke Jr., head of a Norfolk, Va., baseball group.

Somerindyke's organization has returned the deposits it collected on nearly 10,000 season tickets and almost 100 luxury boxes during its drive to get the Expos. He didn't think it would be difficult to get those deposits back.

Officials in Portland, Ore., were uncertain how to interpret the developments.

``We need to wait to see how Major League Baseball assesses this so we can respond,'' said Drew Mahalic of the Oregon Sports Authority.

Northern Virginia's group had hoped to build a ballpark near Dulles International Airport.

``We hope that the District of Columbia will be able to fulfill the terms of its agreement and succeed in bringing Major League Baseball back to this region,'' Virginia Baseball Stadium Authority spokesman Brian Hannigan said.

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman went to baseball's winter meetings last weekend trying to attract attention to his efforts to lure a team. But he could not offer a firm stadium plan.

``It's just a glint in my eye, at this point,'' he said.

Washington has lost teams twice before: The original Senators became the Minnesota Twins after the 1960 season and the expansion Senators moved to Texas 11 years later.

``Here we are back where we were five years ago -- the nation's capital, the center of the world, a city of possibility, aspiration and ambition and opportunity, and a city that cannot do what it says it's going to do,'' Williams said. ``I'm saddened that we can go so far in five years and step back so far in five minutes.''

DLR7884
12-16-2004, 10:18 AM
The D.C. counsel is by far the biggest collection of retards in the United States.

Then again, the people of D.C. voted them in.....these are the same morons that voted Marion Berry back into the mayor's office after his crack bust.

By the way, he won a seat in Ward 8 this year.

He had over 93% of the vote.

DLR7884
It's not all the council's fault....the poverty stricken population of D.C. asked for this....they don't want baseball anyways.

Lou
12-16-2004, 11:10 AM
You gotta wonder though what they'll do if they don't get a deal. I'm guessing they'd just keep them in D.C. temporarily. I don't know how you'd move back to Montreal now.

Carmine
12-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Lou
You gotta wonder though what they'll do if they don't get a deal. I'm guessing they'd just keep them in D.C. temporarily. I don't know how you'd move back to Montreal now.

2005 only??? Then move them again?

BITEYOASS
12-16-2004, 10:40 PM
How about Las Vegas! Put the team there, cause they got a shitload of money.

twonabomber
12-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
The D.C. counsel is by far the biggest collection of retards in the United States.

yeah, but good for them for saying "fuck you" to MLB. cities go in debt to build stadiums for losing teams, good to see it finally going the other way.

Figs
12-16-2004, 11:26 PM
I don't think teams should ever get public funding. Fuck that! They don't add enough to the economy to justify it. If a team can't survive on their own revenues let them fold.

I don't think DC is a great choice anyway. Any serious baseball fan in DC roots for the Orioles. It will take a long time to build a fan base.

redblkwht
12-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
How about Las Vegas! Put the team there, cause they got a shitload of money. I for one thought Puerto Rico was
a decent & different venue..
Why not LV or PR? id do it before december 31st, doubt it would
happen so close.

Lou
12-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Honestly, New York might not be a bad option. Put a team in Brooklyn, I bet it builds up a fanbase quickly.

steve
12-17-2004, 09:10 AM
There's no doubt the team would do well in DC. There is so much disposable income in DC and the nearbye burbs it is insane.

But what baseball is proposing is extortion. Baseball asked for DC to put together a stadium plan - not demand the city pay for it alone.

The main reason folks argue the stadium/team would be good for teh city is you put the new ballpark in SE on the Annocastia and then the area gentrifies.

The problem is, that area is already starting to gentrify WITH OR WITHOUT the ballpark.

The DC real estate game (as well as nearbye burbs) is crazy. 2 BR crappy condos for 450K, condos in trendy neighborhoods in Adams Morgan and Dupont Cir for 700K, frame houses in 60s neighborhoods for 700K, McMansions for 1.2 mil 20 miles from the city.

If baseball's proposal is that a new ballpark would allow them to bulldoze all the poor people out of a 2 mile radius of the stadium, they have already been beat to the punch by condo developers.

Figs
12-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Steve - are you mad they scrapped the plans for a stadium in Arlington?

DLR7884
12-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Let's get this clear. D.C. came to baseball and they had a deal...now they are backing off that deal. Fuck D.C.

I live in Northern VA, we'll gladly take the team. I'm no longer an Orioles fan because Peterpuffer Angelos is a fucking tightwad.

MLB didn't come to D.C. with an offer, D.C. came to baseball.

Let's remember that.

DLR7884
Baseball should take the team to Portland, OR and play in a minor league stadium.

steve
12-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Figs
Steve - are you mad they scrapped the plans for a stadium in Arlington?

The Arlington sites would have had the best views of the monuments. A player could have pulled a Babe Ruth by pointing at the Washington Monument - which just would have been cool.

But no - Arlington, DC...it could go either place, no diff to me.

Baseball is a great game. I go to a game once every couple of years now, and as a kid I was HOOKED on it. But the problem is "Major League Baseball" is totally corrupt and I don't want to give them any of my money. Looking the other way with steriods, extorting stadium money from small market cities, tilting the rules in favor of more profits for NYY, Red Sox, etc. It's no fun to see the Yankees (and now the Red Sox) win every year. Teams like LA, SF, Chicago Cubs, NYY, NYM, Red Sox, Seattle, Atlanta...they win a lot of games because they either have a huge metro area and produce a lot of revenue to BUY players that way, or their owner happens to own a lot of TV stations (Atlanta), or thgey get Japanese to watch (Seattle has the largest market in the country if you count Japan).

The Pittsburgh Pirates, Milwakee, Cinci, Tampa don't have a chance in hell to win in a system like this.

MLB is extorting money from DC, plain and simple.

Ironically, baseball needs DC/DC region a LOT more than DC needs baseball. Baseball is a dying sport. Putting the sport in the 5th largest market in the country could give it a shot in the arm.

If baseball doesn't grow (they would need to change the league mucho to do so), I think you could see a lot of small market teams collapse in 10 or 15 years.

IF the team doesn't go to DC, putting a team in Portland or Norfolk or Buffalo ain't going to do shit.
What baseball should do if the team doesn't go to DC is think of mergin gMLB with the Japan leagues...THAT would be freaking cool and get a lot more people to watch.

Roth & Roll
12-17-2004, 11:18 PM
The people of D.C, are quickly finding out what the people of Montreal have known about Bud Selig and his cronies for years - that they blackmail governments and the public in general to pay for stadiums by threatening to contract/move the franchise if they don't obey their demands. I'm sure the D.C. area has more pressing needs that public funds should be spent on than subsidizing a billionaire's baseball team.

BITEYOASS
12-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Hell, for this they should release Martha Stewart, give her a damn pardon. Cause this scumbag Bud Selig has done more harm to this nations past-time than some home-makers inside trading ever did. Put him in a damn federal pounding in the ass prison!