the rolling stones- changed rock music forever
elvis- introduced sex into music
the kinks- one of the first bands to use distortion
arethla franklin- changed women in music

DLR7884
12-16-2004, 10:02 AM
In no particular order:

1. The Beatles-obvious.

2. Black Sabbath-started metal as we know it.

3. Led Zeppelin-showed that a rock band can be diverse in their music.

4. Pink Floyd-talk about kicking open a new door to psychodelic music.

5. Any black (african american) guitarist who played the blues before 1960.

DLR7884
I think #5 is the biggest influence of them all.

FORD
12-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Almost impossible to limit it to 5, but I'll take a shot.....

Elvis Presley - wasn't the first to combine white country with black r&b to create a form of music that Alan Freed would later name "rock n roll". Others like Bill Haley actually did it first. But Elvis did it better. Both with his voice, and certainly visually.

Chuck Berry - Once Elvis established the crossover appeal, it was easier for black performers to market their music to a white audience and Chuck Berry was among those who was right there ready to do so. And thank God, because the one thing Elvis could NOT do was actually play guitar (Scotty Moore was OK though). The Rolling Stones and Ac/Dc would not exist without Chuck Berry. For that alone he deserves a mention.

The Beatles - Music in 1962 was a fucking joke with the possible exception of the Beach Boys, and even Brian hadn't hit his best material yet. Most of what occupied the charts were plastic teen idols manufactured by the record industry who neither played instruments or wrote songs.

Four kids from Liverpool with goofy haircuts changed all of that bullshit. There's nothing more I can say about the Beatles, or Lennon/McCartney as songwriters that hasn't been said a million times. The sad irony today is that music today looks a Hell of a lot like it did in 1962 :(

Bob Dylan - say what you want about the man's voice, but his songwriting influenced an entire generation. Even the previously mentioned Lennon/McCartney.

The Who - Distorted guitars, smashing instruments on stage, rock operas, a drummer who played like a lead instrument. While other bands of their generation (no pun intended) might have had more hits, there's simply no questioning the power of the Who. Listen to "Live At Leeds" and tell me another three musicians plus a singer who can make that powerful of a noise. From about 1969 - 1972, nobody could touch 'em.

Tragic that Moon left us so early. Just as tragic that the young generation of today thinks their entire musical catalog is a bunch of fucking commercials, :(

loss of fools
12-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Tragic that Moon left us so early. Just as tragic that the young generation of today thinks their entire musical catalog is a bunch of fucking commercials, :( [/B][/QUOTE]

i know what you mean but im only 16 and fucking love the who im just glad i got to see them this year they we amazing