PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bryant would apologize to Shaq for comments made to police

ALinChainz
12-16-2004, 02:19 PM
December 16, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Lakers star Kobe Bryant wants to apologize to former teammate Shaquille O'Neal for mentioning his name during a police interview last year.

Bryant appeared on ESPN's ``Pardon The Interruption'' and ``NBA Shootaround'' on Wednesday and said he never meant to bring up O'Neal's name when he was being interrogated by police officers. The interview came after a woman accused Bryant of raping her.

``I would apologize for any harm that I brought him and his family,'' Bryant said of O'Neal.

The Heat will play the Lakers on Christmas Day, the first meeting of the two teams since O'Neal was traded. Bryant wants to speak to O'Neal then.

Bryant was accused of sexually assaulting the woman at a Colorado resort where she worked in June 2003. The Lakers star maintained they had consensual sex.

Prosecutors dropped a sexual assault charge against Bryant on Sept. 1 after the woman said she no longer wanted to participate in the criminal case. She had filed a civil suit against Bryant about three weeks earlier.

During Bryant's interview with investigators, he said he heard O'Neal had paid up to $1 million to various women to keep quiet about situations like his own. O'Neal, who now plays for the Miami Heat, dismissed those allegations as ``ridiculous.'' There have been no published reports of O'Neal ever being accused of any sex crimes.

The former Lakers center was informed of Bryant's allegation last September, and the relationship between the two was strained throughout the 2003-04 season. After the season, O'Neal demanded to be traded.

``I never intended in any way to mix him into my troubles and difficulties that were going on at the time,'' Bryant said Wednesday. ``Things kind of got blown out of proportion and people really ran with that stuff. I just apologize to him for that.''

Bryant said he has passed the word to O'Neal through a mutual friend that he would like to discuss the matter.

``December 25 sounds like a good day to me to kind of talk to him and tell him I never meant in any kind of way to bring any of his personal business out,'' Bryant said.

Bryant also answered questions Wednesday about the recent spat with another former teammate, Karl Malone. Bryant has accused Malone, who is recovering from knee surgery, of making a pass at his wife at a game last month.

Malone's agent said last week that his client didn't plan to return to the Lakers because of comments Bryant made in a radio interview questioning Malone's intent in rejoining the team.

``To me it's water under the bridge,'' Bryant said Wednesday. ``I just kind of want to move on from it. We just go our separate ways.''

Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-lakers-bryant&prov=ap&type=lgns)

DLR7884
12-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Kobe is a bitch.

DLR7884
Only out for himself.

ALinChainz
12-16-2004, 02:35 PM
I hope Shaq absolutely hammers him in that game on Christmas Day.

And Malone is there giving him a standing ovation.

Carmine
12-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
I hope Shaq absolutely hammers him in that game on Christmas Day.

And Malone is there giving him a standing ovation.

Agreed! Shaq needs to give Kobe a good, old fashioned.....

Brett
12-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Shaq is a fat lazy prick who insulted the Laker organization, he can go fuck himself. May he tear his ACL and be out for the rest of the year. He's a complete and total self-centered ass.

And Kobe needs to STFU and just play ball. He has a big mouth and says the wrong damn thing everytime he talks to the press. It's nice he wants to apologize to Shaq, should have apologized last year when you morons had 100 games together after this went down.

Since Shaq can no longer move, I doubt he'll be doing much hammering anyone. Kobe'll just jump over him.

But make no mistake, Kobe is a dumbfuck. Shaq is just a prick too. Both of these idiots ruined the Lakers with their childish horseshit.

Carmine
12-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Both of these idiots ruined the Lakers with their childish horseshit.

True enough....Shaq should still kick his ass though.

ALinChainz
12-16-2004, 04:19 PM
I don't know if I agree with it totally.

Shaq looks to be in prime condition and is playing well.

The toes injury did make him out of shape no question.

Kobe is the one who dismantled the Lakers, he was leaving if Shaq was staying, Shaq just decided that the Lakers chose Kobe over him.

Phil Jacksin states in his book about Kobe.

In my view, Kobe ran the both of them out of there.

They 3-peated, so I don't know if "ruined" would describe them and if itwas the term, I would sway the blame to Kobe, not Shaq.

The record with Kobe, and not shaq, is much worse than the record of the team with Shaq, minus Kobe.

Brett
12-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Look dude the Lakers made the right choice, Shaq is 32 going on 40, Kobe is 26 and in his prime. If they had to make a choice for the team and the future, the right choice is Kobe.

Wow man, guess we have different views of Shaq. Games I have seen, he looks slow, lazy on the offensive glass as usual, missing a lot of easy shots. If you think he looks to be in prime condition, then dude you've never REALLY seen Shaq then. The 1999-2000 version of Shaq was PRIME condition, he was incredible that year. Miami's going nowhere.

Whatever Kobe is a fool, I don't like Shaq either. I don't even watch the Lakers anymore, I'm just sick of all of this shit. Ruining the team for me. Just can't get away from this fucking shit. I was hoping once Phil and Shaq were gone, Kobe would just shut up and play ball.

ALinChainz
12-16-2004, 04:55 PM
21 ppg (60% FG)
11rpg
3 assists
3 blocks

Not terrible, playing more defense than Ive seen with a bad hammy on a 17-7, 1st place club. Shaq may not be what he was, but he's making everyone around him better. Been watching Shaq since his freshman year at LSU. Should have been on the dream team instead of Lattener. Have seen him live against the Pistons (not last season though).

Kobe shooting under 40% on a 12-9, 3rd place club. Scoring yes, but the other players aren't defined in any roles yet in my opinion.

I'll agree with Kobe shutting the fuck up though, he makes worse everytime he opens it.

Jackson coached jordan and Pippen, just find it interesting his opinion of Kobe.

Brett
12-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Yep those are the same shitty numbers Shaq had last year, and that's with playing with Malone, Kobe, and Payton. Who's he playing with now besides Wade? Nobody. And against weaker centers.

Kobe's assists and rebounds are up, he's already had 2 or 3 triple-doubles this year, and I think he passes too much actually, if that's possible. When guys make shots, they win, when he scores 40 they've lost. The Lakers suck, they're lucky to be 12-9. But they are sitting in 3rd behind Sac and the best team in the league right now in Phoenix, that isn't anything to be ashamed about. Shit that's a great record considering what they have. Shit they got a better record than the Pistons no? Kobe's shooting will improve, he always starts off slow, that doesn't worry me. What worries me is they blow. :)

Oh and yeah Kobe's scoring is up....from last year, but not really from what he's been doing the last 3 or 4 years. He was averaging 28-30 points a game with Shaq.

The Lakers play in the West, Miami has beaten up on bad Eastern conference teams, and lost to every good team they've played. And I'm not sure they've beaten a Western Conference team this season. So come on now, 17-7 is nothing to write home about, considering 4 of those wins are against Washington too.

We'll see on Christmas Day which team looks better. Personally I think neither of them are very good.

I've never seen a player fall faster from grace than Kobe. Almost unbelievable.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-16-2004, 08:02 PM
File this one in the "I don't give a fuck" department....

And I say that as a Laker fan....

Seriously, all of this hyped up crap about Kobe apologizing to Shaq, what Shaq would say back to him, who gives a fuck ??

And people wonder why the NBA has an image problem....

If they were smart, they'd be focusing on the good stories of the year, like the starts by the Suns and Sonics, the emergence of Lebron James into superstardom, and stuff like that....

redblkwht
12-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
File this one in the "I don't give a fuck" department....

And I say that as a Laker fan....

Seriously, all of this hyped up crap about Kobe apologizing to Shaq, what Shaq would say back to him, who gives a fuck ??

And people wonder why the NBA has an image problem....

If they were smart, they'd be focusing on the good stories of the year, like the starts by the Suns and Sonics, the emergence of Lebron James into superstardom, and stuff like that.... I totally
agree, Lebron has so much upside. I was the biggest sceptic of this
cat last year as the new King, im believing now.
He does cause some interest to me, not watching much since my
bulls went down in 1999 ..lol the Cavs will be dominant within 2 yrs.

Brett
12-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Lebron is going to be very good, I was a big skeptic, but he's looked real good this year.

Like I said, Kobe just shut the fuck up and play. You should have apologized to Shaq last year you tard. Lameass PR shit.

Have to say though, Kobe and the Lakers looked pretty damn good destroying the Kings in Sacramento last night. Who the fuck saw that coming.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-17-2004, 07:42 PM
They're a more athletic team this year, no doubt about that....

Whether that will translate into more wins as they play more as a team, we'll see....

Brett
12-17-2004, 07:49 PM
They actually have more shooters now than they ever have. All these guys that can hit big outside shots, they never had that during the title years, save for Derek Fisher and Horry at times.

They're not big enough play with the big boys, I'm sure Shaq will dump 35 on them, but they are more fun to watch. Who knows, all I know is I was dreading watching that game when I turned it on.

Roth & Roll
12-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Keeping Kobe and letting Phil Jackson walk away was a mortal sin.

Fuck the Lakers.
A no-class organization.
Right Bert?

POJO_Risin
12-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Say what you want about Shaq...but Laker fans should be kissing his ass...because without him...you don't have a threepeat...

funny how quick fans jump on a fucking guy that took them to the fucking mountain top...

Here's a guy who has ALWAYS had a big mouth...a simple case of when you are winning...it's good...and when you aren't...it's bad...

he asked for more money...and should have fucking got it...like Jordan before him...he deserved it...because he brought them back to glory...no matter what you say about it...

as far as Kobe as a player...you can ignore his shitass shooting percentage all you want...but he's just a bigger version of Iverson...shoot up a ton of shots...and you score a ton of points...

I will agree...he probably does pass the ball to much...but it's good to see he's figured out that there are other players on the team...to bad it's after the fact of having good players...

lmfao on Malone...looking to score with little Mexican girls...which is fantastic stuff...

and Kobe wanting to apologize to Shaq for telling the police that Shaq bones women?...then...mysteriously having it appear in the press right after having said it?

Yeah...class stuff...breaking the code...to save your own ass...

Kobe is a piece of shit...

a good player...in today's game...a great player...but in the overall picture...a good player...

Shaq? He's 32...been in the fucking league for what..12 years? Weighs over 300 pounds...had bad feet...

The guy is fucking hilarious on the mic...stays out of trouble (other than having a teammate throw his name to the cops as being a fucking cheat)...talks like Ali...loves LA...still goes there and throws a ton of money around to the needy...

yeah...he's an ego-maniac...

wow...an egomaniac in the NBA? No way...but he's always backed it up with performance...always...

No...he's not the player he was 5 years ago...but how many 32 year old CENTERS were...

Kobe needed to shut the fuck up LAST YEAR...and the year before last...and kept Shaq with them...

it wasn't Shaq playing shitty that cost them...

it wasn't Kobe playing shitty that cost them...

it was seperate camps that cost them...plain and simple...

and you know what? You can blame Kobe for that...but mainly...

you can blame Jackson for that...

I'm sick of fucking people saying it was a mistake dumping him...but the guy can't fucking handle dissention worth shit...and when he's not winning titles...he's a fucking whiny little bitch...

blaming Kobe for him getting ousted? Dude's won 9 titles...9 fucking titles...if he would have handled the situation 2 years ago...insteand of giving fucking Kobe books on fucking Karma...maybe he'd still be there...

fuck Phil...

As for now? The Lakers have an intriguing team...

I like their athleticism...

I agree with Va...and Brett...they don't have the big men to compete with the West...

I don't think they are playing over there heads...but right where they should be playing...a borderline playoff team...who's capable of exploding at any point...as they did against Sacramento...

They'll improve as the year progresses, and who knows who'll end up playing center for them as the year progresses...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-18-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
lmfao on Malone...looking to score with little Mexican girls...which is fantastic stuff...

Can't say I blame him, she's fuckin' gorgeous.... ;)

POJO_Risin
12-18-2004, 01:14 PM
C'mon...there are better out there...

ask Kobe...