PDA

View Full Version : Drum Backing Tracks

Panamark
02-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Actually Rosiepants made me think of this one.

Drum backing tracks. NOT MIDI. Anyone ever seen these somewhere on the web ? I would love to get hold of recorded drum tracks for popular metal songs. (Or even Drums and Bass). The only drum tracks I have ever seen is Midi shit.

What about Junyore ? (Or any of the other drummers here)
Maybe they can mike up a kit and we can request our backing tracks ?? :D

Otherwise do any of you fellow musicians know where I can get a hold of drum tracks ??

Junyore Grades
02-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
What about Junyore ? (Or any of the other drummers here)
Maybe they can mike up a kit and we can request our backing tracks ?? :D Otherwise do any of you fellow musicians know where I can get a hold of drum tracks ??

Sorry Panamark,
I wish I had the equipment and software to do this, but I don't. I've tried recording drum tracks, but never could get a real good sounding track. They all came out sounding like they were recorded in a gymnasium and usually 'bleed' onto other tracks.
As far as the web goes, shitty midi's is all I've ever found, and very few of them. Have you checked your local music store? I know, usually, they have drum instructional videos, but I'm not sure about straight tracks.
You mentioned "Kariokey", or however it's spelled. It made me wonder if you hade one of these tapes and a 4-track, if you could take off individual tracks, like a master? Hmmmm??

Panamark
02-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Ah no worries Junyore.

I wonder if there are any other drummers that visit here that do have their own soundproofed room with a proper mic and mixer setup ?
Im surprised no drummers offer this as a service on the web ?

laerdh
12-18-2004, 08:01 AM
Cubase SX and Drumkit from Hell ... With these programs you can make your own drumbeats and convert them in to *.wav, *.mp3 and so on. It's really cool.

BrownSound1
12-18-2004, 12:36 PM
I have used midi tracks before by doing some modifications using Cakewalk. I would then record them with reverbs and what not and make them .wav files. I actually had some pretty convincing drum tracks by doing that.

Now, finding a midi of just drums and bass might be somewhat difficult. So use Cakewalk or some other sequencer program and mute all of the instruments you don't want. Then record them as .wav files with reverb or other effects to make them more "alive" sounding. I had one that I was most proud of for Kashmir....I had phase shifting and the whole nine yards on the drums. The cymbals had that "swish" and a run down the toms had that familiar "woosh" sound. For the wav editing I used Soundforge.

BrownSound1
12-20-2004, 01:47 AM
Oh I forgot to add that I use Cubase for everything now...

Rikk
12-20-2004, 01:54 AM
I record my own drums for my stuff. I've gotten some excellent sounds. Some even practically studio quality (though my drummer needs to be mic'd differently than when I am playing).

Basically, the key for me is a room that is a bit open (several feet on each side...I don't like tiny drum rooms), no compression (it ruins the sound), make sure the kit is tuned (so many people actually miss this shit!!!), and I use an AKG condenser mic as overhead...plus an SM-58 on the bass drum, another next to the snare and another about two feet back from the floor tom. I actually use the condenser track loudest in the mix. I got a drum track once that I swear sounded better than so many studio albums you buy in stores. With the whole band, it sounded incredible...a lot of depth, a lot of detail, and a lot of boom!

davegian
01-13-2005, 09:16 AM
I use a demo of Fruity Loops v5 (easily downloaded), and it's amazing for what I need to make drum tracks. There's a lot of techno sounding drums and whatnot, but also some very real sounding drums. You can make up to 77 different patterns, which is a crazy amount IMO. I've never have used more than eleven. Then you switch to song mode and arrange your (up to 77) patterns into any order you want. You can even have them overlap or whatever you want. EXTREMELY EASY to use! You just drag the patterns to where you want them in the song.

When you're done just export the track as a wav. file and open it in whatever program you use to record, in my case Cool Edit Pro, but I'd like to get my hands on Nuendo.

The only downfall to the demo is that you can't save the actual drum tracks that you can edit-- only the wav. files which are uneditable. By uneditable, I mean you can't change where a particular kick drum beat goes etc. You need to pay for the full version to do this. What I do to make up for it is jam along to the drums w/ my guitar and make changes as I go. I keep Fruity Loops open for a few days at a time until I'm completely satisfied.

Hope that helps :rockit2:

Figs
01-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I record my own drums for my stuff. I've gotten some excellent sounds. Some even practically studio quality (though my drummer needs to be mic'd differently than when I am playing).

Basically, the key for me is a room that is a bit open (several feet on each side...I don't like tiny drum rooms), no compression (it ruins the sound), make sure the kit is tuned (so many people actually miss this shit!!!), and I use an AKG condenser mic as overhead...plus an SM-58 on the bass drum, another next to the snare and another about two feet back from the floor tom. I actually use the condenser track loudest in the mix. I got a drum track once that I swear sounded better than so many studio albums you buy in stores. With the whole band, it sounded incredible...a lot of depth, a lot of detail, and a lot of boom!

Hey Rikk, what do you record onto? I've been looking into buying a multitrack recorder mainly for the drums. It seems like you need to drop a thousand US to get a digital 4 track simultaneous recorder.

Panamark
01-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Found a guy on the web that sells drum backing tracks for
$25 each. (You can request whatever song you like)

Jim Mc'Carty.

http://www.drum-tracks.com/

the tracks are ok, I suspect
some of it is generated, but not bad for $25.

Gets you out of trouble just for simple jamming etc.

Panamark
01-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Oh Jim gives you three tracks for free (that he has recorded previously) in that $25