PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Supervisors Propose Gun Ban

BigBadBrian
12-16-2004, 09:57 PM
San Francisco Supervisors Propose Gun Ban

Wed Dec 15, 8:30 PM ET U.S. National - AP

By LISA LEFF, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - City residents will vote next year on a proposed weapons ban that would deny handguns to everyone except law enforcement officers, members of the military and security guards.

If passed next November, residents would have 90 days to give up firearms they keep in their homes or businesses. The proposal was immediately dismissed as illegal by a gun owners group.

The measure — submitted Tuesday to the Department of Elections by some city supervisors — would also prohibit the sale, manufacturing or distribution of handguns, and the transfer of gun licenses, according to Bill Barnes, an aide to Supervisor Chris Daly.

Firearms would be allowed only for police officers, security guards, members of the military, and anyone else "actually employed and engaged in protecting and preserving property or life within the scope of his or her employment," according to the measure.

Barnes said Wednesday the initiative is a response to the rising homicide rate and other social ills, noting: "We think there is a wide benefit to limiting the number of guns in the city."

Gun Owners of California, a Sacramento-based lobbying group, quickly called the ban illegal. Sam Paredes, the group's executive director, said state law bars local governments from usurping the state's authority to regulate firearms.

"The amazing thing is they are going to turn San Francisco into ground zero for every criminal who wants to profit at their chosen profession," Paredes said.

How many residents would be affected by the ban is unclear, since California does not require residents to register handguns that are kept in a private residence of business.

Washington, D.C., is the only major American city that currently bans handgun possession by private citizens. Andrew Arulanandam, director of public affairs for the National Rifle Association, said San Francisco would be remiss to use that city as a model.

"If gun control worked, Washington, D.C., would be the beacon. However, it's the murder capital of the United States," he said.

In San Francisco, five of the 11-member Board of Supervisors submitted the measure directly to the Department of Elections — one more than the minimum needed to get the measure on the ballot without signatures from registered voters.

The city's voters have frequently championed liberal causes. In the last election, a nonbinding ballot measure to condemn the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and immediately pull out U.S. troops immediately passed with ease.

If approved, the weapons ban would take effect in January 2006.

ELVIS
12-16-2004, 10:08 PM
"If gun control worked, Washington, D.C., would be the beacon. However, it's the murder capital of the United States,"

That was my response prior to my reading of this rediculous proposal...

BrownSound1
12-16-2004, 10:36 PM
I personally blame San Francisco for the pussyfication of Van Halen.

Now as far as the gun ban...only the criminals will have guns. ;)

Jesus Christ
12-16-2004, 11:43 PM
he who lives by the sword will die by the sword.

classicdude
12-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Didn't Morton Grove Illinois (aka "Moron Grove") try the same thing some years ago?

Somewhere, Charlton Heston is uttering the "cold, dead fingers" line.....

Lou
12-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1

I'll say this much about Frisco, the person most responsible for the Van HALEN bootlegs we have today lives out there. Without him, a lot of this shit wouldn't be spread.

TLR
12-17-2004, 12:47 AM
I'm going to use the old line: It's not the guns that kill people. It's the people who kill people. Period. Get rid of the assholes, not the guns...

BrownSound1
12-17-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Lou
I'll say this much about Frisco, the person most responsible for the Van HALEN bootlegs we have today lives out there. Without him, a lot of this shit wouldn't be spread.

I could have done without Frisco's contribution of Sammy Hagar though.

Big Train
12-17-2004, 02:51 AM
To quote the Cunt:

Getting all of us ready for a police state. Slowly they will infiltrate the rest of our lives.

One day they will be telling you which church to go to. Laugh now then remember this post when it goes down. Then I will be laughing, if it's still legal.

By yourself a copy of Orwell's 1984 for Christmas. (And another copy of the VH too. You know, for the car).

Ford, I hope you remember this when you get on your horse about conservatives "shitting all over the constitution".

DEMON CUNT
12-17-2004, 04:18 AM
The handguns out on the streets right now; being used to rob liquor stores and kill people, came from you gun nuts. They were stolen from the houses of law abiding citizens just like you gun nuts.

After they steal your gun, you go and out buy another one for them to steal! This seems counterproductive to me.

Hey Rambo, you don't need a handgun like you don't need a shoulder mounted rocket launcher.

Keep your shotguns. Hell, I don't care if you have a sawed off for protection, just no handguns! Who are you? Dirty Harry?

If you are convicted of using a handgun in a crime you should go to jail for fifty years manditory. No parole.

Christ used no weapon.

DEMON CUNT
12-17-2004, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
To quote the Cunt:

Getting all of us ready for a police state. Slowly they will infiltrate the rest of our lives.

One day they will be telling you which church to go to. Laugh now then remember this post when it goes down. Then I will be laughing, if it's still legal.

Fuck yeah! That's some of my finest work. Fuckin' full on prophesy, bro!

Ford, I hope you remember this when you get on your horse about conservatives "shitting all over the constitution".

HA! HA! This is 100% pure Big Train bullshit. What about the Patriot Act? Who's responsible for that?

The Constitution is for everyone, not just gun owners.

FORD
12-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Given the fact that homosexuals will likely be the first in line for the BCE concentration camps, you would think gun ownership in SF would actually be increasing. :confused:

BigBadBrian
12-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
Fuck

The Constitution is for everyone, not just gun owners.

"We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans."
-- Bill Clinton, March 1, 1993, USA Today

DEMON CUNT
12-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
"We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans."

Do you have this tattooed on your ass?

Mezro
12-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1

Hey, hey, hey...Hagar lives in Marin County.

Mezro...we had nothing to do with that motherfucker being in VH...

Mezro
12-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by TLR
I'm going to use the old line: It's not the guns that kill people. It's the people who kill people. Period. Get rid of the assholes, not the guns...

I don't think a gun ban is the answer but I'm pretty sure this will pass.

Mezro...I don't own a gun (never will) but responsible adults (without a history of mental illness or a criminal record) should always have the right to bear arms...

Big Train
12-17-2004, 01:43 PM
HA! HA! This is 100% pure Big Train bullshit. What about the Patriot Act? Who's responsible for that?

The Constitution is for everyone, not just gun owners. [/B][/QUOTE]

Pure Cunt bullshit right there. The point I'm trying to make (and your trying to ignore) is that the Constitution is not just being "shit on" by conservatives, liberals are all over it too. Liberals would love to legislate their thought patterns as well. Take a walk around Cambridge, MA, where the town has to PAY for stupid signs that say "Hate Free Zone".

DEMON CUNT
12-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Pure Cunt bullshit right there. The point I'm trying to make (and your trying to ignore) is that the Constitution is not just being "shit on" by conservatives, liberals are all over it too. Liberals would love to legislate their thought patterns as well. Take a walk around Cambridge, MA, where the town has to PAY for stupid signs that say "Hate Free Zone".

I agree. Waste is rampant. However, the patriot act is much more of a threat to our freedom than a few (probably expensive) signs.

The signs are a local issue. The Patriot Act applies to all of us.

Big Train
12-17-2004, 01:55 PM
You don't think removing the 2nd amendment affects us all?

I don't own guns, don't even care for them, I just think it is odd that this is being allowed to proceed. Probably because they have some much good fortune last year with gay marriage, why not push the liberal agenda further, at least on a local level?

And we are agreed about the waste.

ODShowtime
12-17-2004, 02:44 PM

boy, it must have been tough to reach that concensus

DEMON CUNT
12-17-2004, 02:56 PM
You don't think removing the 2nd amendment affects us all?

I don't own guns, don't even care for them, I just think it is odd that this is being allowed to proceed. Probably because they have some much good fortune last year with gay marriage, why not push the liberal agenda further, at least on a local level?

It's not really about removing the 2nd. It's about the interpretation of the word "militia (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=militia&r=67)"

I don't think happiness and safety are part of some ilberal agenda. It's really what we all want.

One day we'll all realize that it is not right vs. left or red vs. blue; it's the "top 1%" vs. "bottom 98%."

aesop
12-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Why do think SFians would be happier without guns? It sure hasn't done shit for the crime rate in DC...

DEMON CUNT
12-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by aesop
Why do think SFians would be happier without guns? It sure hasn't done shit for the crime rate in DC...

Got proof?

FORD
12-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

"There oughta be limits to Freedom" -- George W. Bush

"Things would be a lot easier if this was a Dictatorship -- so long as I'm the Dictator" -- GWB (3x he's said gone on record saying this)

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you have to focus on" -- GWB

ODShowtime
12-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by FORD
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you have to focus on" -- GWB

Wow, that's a pretty wise statement from the old fuckface. He obviously stuck to that strategy in '04.

Ford, can you supply more context for that one?

Nickdfresh
12-17-2004, 03:38 PM

It's kind of tough to judge the failure of gun control in D.C. when they live next to a state, Virginia, where the criteria for buying the latest and greatest "semi-automatic" versions of military small arms is:

A.) Have pulse

B.) I swear I am over the age of 12, really mister!

C.) I really, really promise not to wipe out my entire high school class with this Chinese made AK-47

Big Train
12-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
It's not really about removing the 2nd. It's about the interpretation of the word "militia (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=militia&r=67)"

I don't think happiness and safety are part of some ilberal agenda. It's really what we all want.

[/B]

The bottom line is that's how it stands..until it is removed from the constitution, interpretating it is not their job.

You critize the Patriot Act while condoning and approving this...hypocrisy.

Mezro
12-17-2004, 04:53 PM
SFians

San Franciscans.

Mezro...SFians is that Burning Man world from The Matrix...

aesop
12-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
It's kind of tough to judge the failure of gun control in D.C. when they live next to a state, Virginia, where the criteria for buying the latest and greatest "semi-automatic" versions of military small arms is:

A.) Have pulse

B.) I swear I am over the age of 12, really mister!

C.) I really, really promise not to wipe out my entire high school class with this Chinese made AK-47

That's true,however, most crimes are comitted by stolen handguns, not registered semi-auto versions of military-issue. Good point though about the proximity to Virginia. And Philly, and Jersey...

Nickdfresh
12-17-2004, 04:55 PM
How about insuring that we restrict gun access to the sane, and upstanding citizens? Something the NRA seems to fight tooth and nail.

How about insuring that we have a criteria for buying firearms that is at least as restrictive than the criteria for getting a driver's licence?

Nickdfresh
12-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by classicdude
Didn't Morton Grove Illinois (aka "Moron Grove") try the same thing some years ago?

Somewhere, Charlton Heston is uttering the "cold, dead fingers" line.....

Nope! Chuck Heston says:

Big Train
12-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
How about insuring that we restrict gun access to the sane, and upstanding citizens? Something the NRA seems to fight tooth and nail.

How about insuring that we have a criteria for buying firearms that is at least as restrictive than the criteria for getting a driver's licence?

Those are much more logical things and something I would be willing to support. "Just saying, nobody can have them cause we don't think it's right anybody should" is not the way the country is run.

ODShowtime
12-17-2004, 06:36 PM
"Just saying, nobody can have them cause we don't think it's right anybody should" is not the way the country is run.

Sure it is dude. A HUGE part of my lifestyle is illegal "just because" - not one shred of credible, scientific evidence to support it's ban. And what I'm talking about has been credited for 1 death ever, and it was reported from some shitbag activist doctor in the U.K.

if you meant just guns, you're right. There would probably be quite a few ugly standoffs.

Big Train
12-17-2004, 07:47 PM
I knew I should have been more guarded with that statement...and your right OD.

Drugs are a whole other debate.

In this case, it's bullshit. This is amendment #2 we are talking about, obviously it was a high priority to our nations founders. We can just selectively starting editing them out in particular geographic regions.

Viking
12-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Let the fairies ban guns. They'll be crying to Sacramento for more taxpayer money to put cops on the street in a year.

Now, if only that fuckin' earthquake would hit that geologists have been warning us about for years, this would all something to sit around and laugh about while we drink beer in our old age. "Hey, remember back in '05, when the fruits and nuts in Frisco thought they were going to ban guns, and on the eve of the vote, the whole fuckin' thing snapped off and slid out into the ocean? HAW HAW HAW, the Left Coast Lunatics said that Bush used some superweapon reverse-engineered from alien technology, and the fuckin' Baptists swore that God smited them! HAR HAR HAR. Personally, I gotta side with the Baptists on that one." :D

FORD
12-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Viking
"Hey, remember back in '05, when the fruits and nuts in Frisco thought they were going to ban guns, and on the eve of the vote, the whole fuckin' thing snapped off and slid out into the ocean? HAW HAW HAW, the Left Coast Lunatics said that Bush used some superweapon reverse-engineered from alien technology, and the fuckin' Baptists swore that God smited them! HAR HAR HAR. Personally, I gotta side with the Baptists on that one." :D

Nope. Not considering Jeb has already made implied threats against the entire city.....

Jeb Bush jokes people of San Francisco may be endangered

JACKIE HALLIFAX, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

* Printable Version
* Email This Article

(11-12) 21:22 PST TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) --

Gov. Jeb Bush joked during a Florida Cabinet meeting Wednesday that the people of San Francisco may be endangered and, "That's probably good news for the country."

The subject was environmental land and at the time Bush was looking at a map showing locations with a lot of different wildlife.

"It looks like the people of San Francisco are an endangered species, which may not be a bad thing. That's probably good news for the country."

People in the room broke into laughter

"Did I just say that out loud?" the governor asked.

San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown wasn't too worried by the comment, according to spokesman P.J. Johnston.

"When he finally stopped laughing, he said, 'I'm sure this is a tongue-in-cheek comment. I'd feel a little better if the governor would send me one of his alligators; I've got a supervisor that needs companionship,"' Johnston said.

Johnston also said he didn't think residents of San Francisco would be much disturbed by what the governor said.

"By and large San Franciscans have a good sense of humor and will not be dreadfully offended," Johnston said, adding that he wished people in politics would also "lighten up."

But the head of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force didn't see anything funny in the governor's comment and believed it to be anti-gay because of San Francisco's large gay population.

"It's extremely insulting," said Matt Foreman. "But of course I would say that gay people in Florida are far more endangered than gay people in California."

Bush told reporters he was just joking and added another quip: "Don't call Willie Brown."

Bush spokesman Jacob DiPietre later explained the governor's thinking: "The Cabinet was talking about endangered species and everyone knows that Republicans are an endangered species in California."

Bush has been amused by California before. In mid-August, the topic was Gary Coleman, the former child actor who jumped into the California gubernatorial recall race.

"I'm glad that Gary Coleman lives in California," Bush said. "A guy like me that believes in limited government probably would have a tough time against a fellow like that because he probably symbolizes smaller government."

Coleman took the comment in stride.

"I don't know about Jeb Bush," he said. "But if I become governor, I will represent the little guys, the people that big people tend to step on when they want to get somewhere."

Nickdfresh
12-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Let the fairies ban guns. They'll be crying to Sacramento for more taxpayer money to put cops on the street in a year.

Now, if only that fuckin' earthquake would hit that geologists have been warning us about for years, this would all something to sit around and laugh about while we drink beer in our old age. "Hey, remember back in '05, when the fruits and nuts in Frisco thought they were going to ban guns, and on the eve of the vote, the whole fuckin' thing snapped off and slid out into the ocean? HAW HAW HAW, the Left Coast Lunatics said that Bush used some superweapon reverse-engineered from alien technology, and the fuckin' Baptists swore that God smited them! HAR HAR HAR. Personally, I gotta side with the Baptists on that one." :D

Charles? Is that...you Charlie?

Mezro
12-18-2004, 02:29 PM

Now, if only that fuckin' earthquake would hit that geologists have been warning us about for years, this would all something to sit around and laugh about while we drink beer in our old age.:D

(Raising hand) Don't forget I live here brother Viking.

Mezro...raise a brew over my crushed Mezro shell...