PDA

View Full Version : Interesting...

BrownSound1
12-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Just noticed that over on the Peavey website that they no longer list the 5150 series amplifiers in their amp list. Also, they don't have anything but the Wolfgang Vault in their guitar list...no other mention of Wolfgangs but that one.

Now...the guitar thing I'm not surprised by, we all knew about the Charvel alliance with Ed months ago. However I'm a bit surprised by the apparent disappearance of the 5150. Could it be that Edward has FINALLY gone back to using Marshalls? Or is there another amp company that has snatched him up?

Figs
12-17-2004, 12:01 AM
I read on another board that the 5150 was re-named the 6505...

Cathedral
12-17-2004, 03:06 AM
Whatever the dealio is, I haven't gotten an offer over $600.00 for my 5150II half stack.
It's gonna have to sit in shame for a few years until the nostalgic market for them comes around.

Meanwhile, I'm shopping for a Soldano Lucky 13 rig.
And believe me, they don't go up for sale until they are damn near dead and buried.
But new, they cost a fucking fortune.

Nitro Express
12-19-2004, 01:06 AM
I don't think the 5150 amps will ever be really that collectable. There's a ton of them out there and Eddie started using them when his career was in decline. The 5150 is the sound of Van Hagar.

Old Marshall Super Lead 100's are collectable and Eddie Van Halen had a lot to do with that. Everyone knew Marshalls were good amps but Eddie is the one who really turned people onto the old Super Lead.

One thing I wished I would have bought was a Musicman EVH model guitar. Those are collectable.

I think the Peavey made gear will just be good equipment for a good price used. Since when has anything made by Peavey been collectable?

BrownSound1
12-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Super Leads were popular long before EVH started using them...Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and countless others used them. I think Edward first turned people on to the idea of having their Marshalls hot rodded, when in fact his were not.

Eyes of the Night
12-20-2004, 03:33 AM
Interesting indeed ...

Glad I have a 120 watt head ... that's hot rodded in the sense that most if not all are 100 watters ...

I think that would be COOL as fuck if he endorsed marshall ... now that he's old and grey ...

BrownSound1
12-20-2004, 06:41 PM
100 watts...120 watts, your ear couldn't distinguish the difference in loudness between the two. Before you could hear a difference the wattage level has to DOUBLE. See I'm of the school of thought that when using a tube amp like that it is better to have lower wattage....they distort easier on the power amp section. See like Ed's old Super Lead, they have no pre-amp volume like these new amps...most of what you heard breaking up was the power amp, which is why you have these Hot Plates and Power Brakes for sale. That's where your ballsy distortion comes from.

Eyes of the Night
12-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Interesting ... lmao

Found out that I hate digitech ... bought a turbo flange and digidelay used as an echo ...

I may have to change the batteries though ...

200 bucks back into my pocket today on that return ...

GAR
12-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Whatever the dealio is, I haven't gotten an offer over $600.00 for my 5150II half stack.
It's gonna have to sit in shame for a few years until the nostalgic market for them comes around.

Be real to yourself and just take the depreciation hit, because that money will get you that much closer to a Boogie or Soldano.

I learned the hard way not to let shit sit and "appreciate".. the money turns around faster and you come "up" again faster dollarwise by working the dough into new gear, or other gear you can buy and sell.

I've done that with drumkits I think Ive mentioned before.. buy a whole kit for a grand, then part it out to break even and keep some of the hardware. Or cymbals..

Cathedral
12-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Gar, this amp can sit and rot away to nothing for all i care, lol.
I don't need to sell it to buy a new rig, so i am against giving it away at the moment.

My problem is not being able to find a worthwhile Soldano at this time.
But i like the Boogie idea also, I'll check into those as well.

Thanks!