PDA

View Full Version : D-Tuna question

DVH225
12-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Caqn it go on my Jackson Dinky DK-2 when I get it? Or does there have to be an Original Floyd? Please help, I really want to add a D-Tuna to my Jackson...But I don't know if I can or not.

Help is appreciated,
DVH225

Also, it is a left-handed guitar...Does it affect that in any way?

The trem on the Dinky is a Jackson Double Locking System..I don't know if it is Floyd patented or not...Somebody please fill me in...

Eyes of the Night
12-19-2004, 01:11 AM
It's sold by itself so my thinking would be sure it's for "all locking tremelos" ... not just for the floyd ... should say it right on the dtuna box ...

Or go to freagin' D-tunamelt.com ...

I don't use mine ... you can have it ... got a pedal? flange, echo ... floated my wolfgang so I took it off ... play in Dropped D allz de time anyway! ...

Van Grunge!

DVH225
12-19-2004, 11:41 AM
PM me with what you are looking for, and I will see what I can do...

BrownSound1
12-20-2004, 01:42 AM
The D-Tuna has got to be on a Floyd or a Floyd-licensed vibrato that uses the same type of tuning and bridge locking system.

Eyes of the Night
12-20-2004, 03:52 AM
Are you %100 shizure? ...

BrownSound1
12-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Yes I'm 100% sure, as I've got two of the bastards. Of course you can check out The Official D-Tuna Website (http://www.dtuna.com) if you don't believe me.

The system will only work with a Floyd Rose or Floyd Rose licensed guitar with the long locking screw, where the fine tuner on the bridge presses directly on the locking screw.

Eyes of the Night
12-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Never doubted you ...

Just wanted a trade from DVH!:D ...

whodat
12-21-2004, 11:22 AM
whats makes the d-tuna so much better than another

whodat
12-21-2004, 11:23 AM
how do you guys feel about playing on a strat squier as a beginner?

whodat
12-21-2004, 11:24 AM
thoughts on the mxr evh phase 90?/ anyone every use one?

Eyes of the Night
12-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Dtuna allows you to drop your highE down to D by pulling a lever that releases a patentned doohickey Ed came up with ... so it makes sense that it only works with floyds because seems like all the other trems' specs are different ... it simply wouldn't fit ...

For beginner? Sure be like everyone else ... if I were to start out again I'd buy a JACKSON dinky ... around the same price range too ...

I myself will soon own an EdPhase90 ... just so I can say that I have one ... lmao

BrownSound1
12-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Ok, you've got two questions there, so let me address the first one. The D-Tuna was designed so EVH could change the tuning of his E string to D, without having to unlock the locking nut on the Floyd Rose...to my knowledge there is no other solution for this on a Floyd Rose vibrato system. Check out the D-tuna website...a link is one of the above posts.

Now as far as Squier Strats go...I don't like them. They're ok I guess for beginners, but for 350 bucks you can get a Fender Standard Strat...Musician's Friend price.

Matt White
12-21-2004, 11:44 AM
I wonder if the David lee roth-tuna will work on a floating floyd?!?

whodat
12-21-2004, 11:45 AM
in all seriousness the his patented wa wa pedal..does it simulate his sound

BrownSound1
12-21-2004, 06:28 PM
What type of wah are you referring to?

Nitro Express
12-30-2004, 02:50 AM
I think he's reffering to the EVH signature MXR Phase 90 peddle. It's not a wah wah peddle, it's a phaser. A wah wah peddle changes the tone or volume of the guitar by manipulating a peddle back and forth. A phaser takes the signal of the guitar and puts it out of phase with itself. A phase 90 takes the the signal 90 degrees out of phase.

I have an original script Phase 90 from the 1970's and I just bought the EVH limited edition Phase 90 made by Dunlop. To be honest, I think the EVH peddle sounds a tad better than my original. It's also nice to plug into my 9 volt power supply instead of having to use a battery. It's also nice you have that bright blue indicator light. The baked on enamel paintjob actually looks cool. I like the Script switch. It's kinda nice to change the color of the sound from weaker and smoother to edgier and harder.

I like it.

As far as the D-Tuner goes, you have to have the Floyd Rose bridge where the string clamp bolt it raised and lowered by the fine tuning knob. These things won't fit an Ibanez type bridge eventhough it's very close to the Floyd Rose design. You have to be careful because the D-Tuner won't fit all Floyd Rose licensed bridges. Usually the cheeper than crap bridges are the ones it won't work with.

You also need the Floyd set hard down like Eddie likes it for the D-Tuner to be stable. It won't work on a floating bridge.

Nitro Express
12-30-2004, 02:56 AM
As far as the EVH signature Phase 90 being a magical box that gets Eddie's signature sound, it won't do that for you. Most of Ed's sound comes from his hands. You have to play like him. The right guitar, pickups, amp, and speakers surely help but the right equipment will never get you anywhere if you can't get Ed's vibe on and cheap setup with your bare hands.

What the peddle does do is add some flavor to the sound. Kinda like how you add garlic or oregano to food. Too much is bad and not enough is bad. It's basically some special spice for the rice.

GAR
12-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Most of Ed's sound comes from his hands. You have to play like him.

While playing around once in a while, I have found my own hands have made me come, too.

Let's just say: I'm usually in good hands. Often.

Actually quite alot. And I'm getting more callouses from that than any other kind of play.

- anyone for tennis?

GAR
12-30-2004, 02:06 PM
SQUIERS are RIGHT NOW the very best guitar value in all my memory in music stores:

Guitar Center here in Pasadena has 'em on sale for $99 bucks.

They're made in China now.. big deal. They got straight necks on 'em so those stupid Chinks over their are doing something right with their lil' shrimpy Gookerized monkey-paws, and G-d bless 'em for it!

In 1980, Crown City Jewelry and Loan was selling Univox and Teisco strat copies for $169.99

FAST FORWARD 25 years..

::future_mobile_sequence::

ZZZZZHHHHHHHHH..... bINK..

mMKAY~!

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm

In 2004 dollars, that would be equivalent to $394.03 AND WITH TAX that's another thirty bux here in California (8.25% added sales tax) and thats according to U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, no lie.

25 years ago, the same neck for the money would hardly be adjustable, the pickups were shit, there was no Custom Parts industry to speak of except DiMarzio and Bill Lawrence HARDLY.. and the fretwork back then was laughable:

LOOK at these shit frets on this Univox: nice body, nice veneer flame on the top, binding on the neck looks sweet BUT THE FUCKING FRETS ARE 1/16" OF AN INCH TOO SHORT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3771441377

(no the case didn't come with it neither - that was another $29.95)

YES I think the Squier is a fooken GRATE buy. Buy it, upgrade it with a hot bridge pickup, take it to a local guitar shop to lower the action and mill the frets and it'll be a screaming guitar and a hell of a buy for $99 dollars GODDAMN you young guys have it good.

NEVER say "the good old Old days" Catfist, because they're here. They're just not for us!