PDA

View Full Version : Can i Have a review of Skyscraper?

VHII
12-19-2004, 06:41 PM
I have all the classic VH cds and eat em and smile. i was gonna buy skyscraper but someone told me it wasnt that good. Can i get a review for it?

teamaa104
12-19-2004, 07:43 PM
boo, they lied

Figs
12-19-2004, 07:47 PM
What do you think everyone is going to tell you on a site like this? They're going to tell you it's awesome. I like "Damn Good" but could take or leave the rest of the album.

Mezro
12-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Great songs but the production kills it. If you like a glossy/layered sound then Skyscraper is for you.

Mezro...go buy ALAE instead...

academic punk
12-19-2004, 08:07 PM
The worst mis-step of Dave's career. He clearly took note of Van Hagar's COMMERCIAL success with 5150 (an album that sucks ASS), and wanted to emulate that.

Instead of building from Eat 'Em and Smile (which I think is one of the top 3 albums of Dave's CAREER), he took a complete turn in the opposite direction. Songs like "Just Like Paradise" and "Stand Up" aren't that far removed from the pop of "Why Can't This Be Love?", and, come on, there is NO comparison between the opening moments of EEAS with Dave and Steve Vai's guitar having a conversation and then EXPLODING into Yankee Rose and that lame plink-plink-plink on Knucklebones. Talk about phoning it in! Same thing with Shyboy as opposed to The Bottom Line - MAJOR disappointment as far as what the guitar'n'bass duel offered on the follow-up.

Damn Good is worthwhile, as is Hina. I've always HATED Hot Dog and a Shake and Perfect Timing.

So there you have it - the bulk of the good stuff (and some of the crap) is on The Best, abut the two very best songs aren't.

Bill Lumbergh
12-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Yeah, the production screams "80's hair band", but most of the songs are GREAT. Definitely worth buying........highlights for me: Damn Good, Knucklebones.........get it.

VHII
12-19-2004, 08:11 PM
thanks everyone

PHOENIX
12-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Sending this the DLR/VH forum.