PDA

View Full Version : The Shaq and Kobe Chronicles

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Alright...this week we had the begging for forgiveness...

followed by the GLARE and "Next Question..."

and move into Kobe's 0-10 performance (mind may be in other places)...

over to Shaq...who said...

``If you've got a Corvette that runs into a brick wall, you know what's gonna happen,'' he said in a halftime interview on ABC's ``Monday Night Football.'' ``He's a corvette. I'm a brick wall. So you know what's gonna happen.''

LMFAO...that should be interesting...

And Shaq didn't stop there...you gotta love the guy...never minces words...or pulls punches...I'm still baffled why certain LA fans think Shaq is an ass...

``A lot of people think you have to have a relationship to play together and win championships. That's not true at all and it was evident. But you have to have respect,'' O'Neal said. ``Were we ever close? Not really. Did I respect his game? Of course I did.''

O'Neal said he didn't find out that Lakers coach Phil Jackson had been fired after losing to the Pistons until seeing it on the NBA's Web site.

``Now usually when something like that goes down, I'm either the first or second to know about it,'' he said. ``So when he was fired without my knowledge, I knew some changes were going to be made.''

Bryant told ESPN last week that he couldn't reach O'Neal to talk to him before the trade because he didn't have his phone number. O'Neal told ABC's Al Michaels he had no reaction to that.

``Because I know how he really is. I've been trying to say that for eight years. But you have to look at the individuals and see what type of people that they are,'' he said. ``I've always done things the right way, I've always done things the classy way.''

Game on Saturday...and may the righteous get their due...and the unrighteous run into a "brick wall..."

ALinChainz
12-21-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm sure Kobe will try and look tough and like he wants some should Shaq lay a little on him should he drive to the basket.

Truth be told, Kobe would shit himself if truly faced with Shaq kicking his ass.

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Christ...wouldn't you?

It's hard for me to fathom though...Kobe using Shaq's name during his talks with the police...

True or not...you just don't do shit like that..."He paid off all the women he slept with..."

lmfao...

Kobe just didn't have time to do the same...

well...hopefully now...he'll have to pay a lot...

ALinChainz
12-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Like a little kid, justifying it to the cops ....

"WAAA .... Shaq paid those girls off, why can't I?"

Unwritten code I guess ... then the shit with Malone ... he isn't real smart.

Why young guys like that get married so soon when they turn pro ... all that pussy in every city being thrown at you ... only human.

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 03:23 PM
I've tried for 2 or 3 years to explain why I think Jordan was better than Kobe ever will be...

Here's Skip Bayless...who's one of the better ones...who nailed it on the head...

check out this article...it's perfect...

especially when he talks about Jordan...Shaq and Malone...who was his only real ally on the team...

Kobe vs. Jordan (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/041217)

there's some funny shit there...

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Because the same Kobe who is invincibly confident in his strengths is astonishingly unaware of his weaknesses.

Because the same Kobe who can be so worldly and bright can also be so sheltered and dumb.

Because Kobe is lost in his own private universe.

Kobe doesn't get it. Michael always did.

One of the classic lines from that article...

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 03:25 PM
sheltered and dumb...lmfao...funny shit...

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
And this one is just as good...and even more true...

good stuff...

Letter to Kobe: Shut your Piehole (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/041216)

He needs to move the fuck on...

ALinChainz
12-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Excellent article.

Always liked Bayless, although I wouldn't say Kobe was the better "pure shooter".

Both Allen and Bayless got it right.

"I didn't have his number."

LOL

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 03:43 PM
If you look back to Jordan's early career...his early knock was his inability to shoot...

much was said about Kobe as well...

I think the mistake that is made is that Kobe made it to the NBA earlier...therefore that glaring weakness was noted earlier...

he's improved his shooting for sure...and people are comparing that improvement to Jordan's...while Kobe is younger...

thing is...you only have to look at shooting % to see that Jordan just made more shots...period...

and he did drive the lane more as a young player...but it didn't take him long to nail people from everywhere...

by 87, 88 and 89...Jordan was deadly from anywhere on the floor...

as far as PURE shooters go...I don't know that either of them at the early stages of their careers were pure...

if you didn't check out the letter...scroll back a bit Al...and click on that link...it's another classic...lmfao...

ALinChainz
12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
And this one is just as good...and even more true...

good stuff...

Letter to Kobe: Shut your Piehole (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/041216)

He needs to move the fuck on...

And most importantly ... he needs to shut the piehole.

Whitlock is always good for some disagreement on The Sports Reporters too ... big black dude. Think he writes for the KC newspaper.

Kobe's dad told him not to get married, and if I remember right, no pre-nup .. though I find that hard to believe.

Seems like when Jordan was being recruited, I thought they touted him as an excellent outside shooter. Then again, long time ago now that I think on it, so I may not remember.

He's right about the wife though ... he he he ... take THAT Kobe.

ALinChainz
12-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Yep, he didn't do what he should have ...

DENY EVERYTHING.

:D

"Kobe, you don't want to end up like Stringer Bell. He got his cap peeled by a gay stickup man and a bean-pie salesman. "

lol

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Actually...thinking back...to the winning shot against Georgetown in the NCAA championship game...

that pure 17 footer from the wing...

nothin' but net...

you may be right...

of course...the natural thing to do is to remember the OTHER parts of his game...

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Yeah...I almost pissed my pants when I read that fucking line...hilarious shit...

Brett
12-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Shaq & Kobe = Two egotistical morons who ruined the Lakers.

With that said, I don't miss Shaq. I do miss winning, so maybe I do miss Shaq. ;)

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Shaq & Kobe = Two egotistical morons who ruined the Lakers.

With that said, I don't miss Shaq. I do miss winning, so maybe I do miss Shaq. ;)

ruined the Lakers?????

dude...they both...key word there...both...brought you 3 NBA titles...

lmfao...perhaps some of us are a little NBA spoiled...;)....

and lmfao on your last comment...

I'm sure in all of the holiday cheer my brother...you'll secretly throw a toast Shaq's way...

because without him...we'd still be wondering what happened to the Lakers...

Well...maybe the toast oughta goto Jerry West...who shoulda never gotten pushed out...

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 04:27 PM
That being said...if Kupchak can find a way to nab an athletic center...or at the very least...a couple of athletic big men...they'd be in business...

they oughta be huntin' for someone like Eddy Curry...or Tyson Chandler...

Brett
12-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Eddy Curry doesn't show up 90% of the time, fucker is a head case. We don't need anymore of those. Never thought much of Chandler's game, of course playing on the Bulls, nobody looks like they have game.

Fuck dude Kobe is 26, Shaq is 32, they should have had a lot more than 3 titles. They fucked it all up, fucking prima donnas.

I am spoiled as a Laker fan, but I also realize this shit got broken up too fucking fast. This team is decent, but so inconsistent night in and night out. Beating Sac, losing to Wash and Memphis at home. Unpredictable. Fuck it's like sitting through 1993 all over again.

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Curry may be maturing this year...look at his stats...

like I said...you need an athletic center on that team...a guy like Hakeem was (not necesarily as good...IMO)...

I think Curry has turned a corner...and would be able to move with Odom and Kobe...and be a solid big 3 there...

that would make the supporting cast that much better...

Chandler is the same as Curry...they are just young...

not everyone can bounce up as fast as Kobe did...lmfao...and you said it best...Chicago hasn't exactly been the creme de la creme of the NBA...

Brett
12-21-2004, 04:42 PM
I like Chris Mihm, but he's definitely not the answer at center. Good back up though, actually a great back up. Man if they had some of these role guys last year, guys like Chucky Atkins, Mihm, Jumaine Jones (who has been awesome), a confident Brian Cook, Butler, hell even Tierre Brown, they'd have had enough to beat Detroit. Maybe we can get Shaq back just to test my theory on this. :)

Curry has worlds of talent, I know he's having a solid year, maybe playing here would be a good change of scenery. Not sure what the Lakers would be willing to give up for him.

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Well...that's the question...you'd have to give up some of you bench...

I'm sure Chicago would look at Atkins and Mihm...or a Butler and Mihm to get him...not sure what the money would look like though...

I honest to christ think that LA is close...

They keep that bench together...and the role players...

and get an athletic big man...

and have Kobe mature into a guy that pulls others in with him (and I've seen them play this year...and Kobe at times does this...but more often than not...shoots from whereever he is)...

The Lakers can be incredible...

Look Brett...shit happens in the NBA...the Chicago ownership runs out one of the greatest teams of all time...

and essentially...that's what happened in LA...but...perhaps it's what needed done...Shaq has had that toe injury...and been a bit lazy in his recovery...and getting in shape...but...LA could have spun it like that...

instead of letting Kobe lead them around like a fucking lap dog...

If LA gets passed it though...I agree...their bench is good...their role players are good...

they just need more than Kobe and Odom...and they do need Kobe to live and breathe team in more than statements...they need him to nail it every day...

Brett
12-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Dude I'm with you 100% on that, agree on it all. I keep waiting for them to play more consistently, they're just not. I see Rudy T on the sidelines pulling his hair out over there. Poor bastard, and he thought cancer was hard. I'd be disappointed if they traded Caron Butler, kinda like his game. Wouldn't be too thrilled about dumping Atkins, we're kinda thin at guard.

I'm not sad Shaq is gone, just bummed it fizzled out the way it did. Plus it bothers me the Lakers traded a Hall of Famer when he still had a little left, they never do that. It just really got to be an ugly situation that Jerry Buss was just sick of, and he went with the younger guy.

Need an athletic center who can rebound and block shots and they'd be set, I agree.

POJO_Risin
12-21-2004, 05:28 PM
So they aren't far...but...where we won't agree on...is Kobe's style of play...

he needs to learn to consistently bring in the role guys...and I hate to say it...ala Jordan...

he gets a servicable center...and brings the others in...

and you have a winner...especially with Rudy T...

Kobe...and only Kobe...can bring consistency...it's his team...and he has to say more than "brotherhood..."

he has to play it...

Brett
12-21-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm not arguing with you, the Lakers don't win when Kobe scores 40. They win when he gets 25-30 with 8-10 assists and 6-7 boards.

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Agreed...

I was watching the game the other night...

and Kobe was off...0-10 in the second half...instead of throwing it around the horn...he kept chalking it up...

didn't make any sense...

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 01:35 AM
What's the Lakers record for his triple doubles I'm wondering?

Brett
12-22-2004, 02:45 AM
Magic has the all-time record for the league, I'm guessing it's 50 or something. Oscar Robertson probably would have the record if they kept the stat back then.

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 03:33 AM
Since Oscar averaged a triple double one year...I would concur...

what I was saying though...

is what's the Laker's record this year for his 3 trip doubs?

I know he has at least 3...maybe 4...

Magic has the record...

I know Fats Lever had a boatload of them as well...

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 03:34 AM
How about that name...Lafayette Lever...Nuggets I think...

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 03:46 AM
Here's the top five trip doubs...

Jesus...fucking Oscar averaged a trip doub for a season...

but...if you take cumulative stats...he fucking averaged a trip doub for his first 6 SEASONS...

of course...there were only 9 teams...and he was a 6'6" guard...

but damn...that's impressive...

and he's the only guard to ever lead his team in rebounding...

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Forgot to post them...

fuck it...

Big O

Magic

Wilt

Bird

Kidd

Brett
12-22-2004, 12:34 PM
I think the Lakers are 2-1 in Kobe's triple-double games.

ALinChainz
12-22-2004, 12:48 PM
http://www.nba.com/canada/Basketball_U_on_Doubles-Canada_Generic_Article-18071.html

Magic Johnson of the Los Angeles Lakers and Larry Bird of the Boston Celtics are the NBA's all-time leaders in triple doubles. During their illustrious careers, Magic had 138 total triple doubles, while Bird had 59. Both were generally regarded as the premier players of the 1980s, with Bird winning NBA Championships in 1981,1984, and 1986 and Magic winning titles in 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987 and 1988.

A quadruple double is to have double digit number totals in four of the five categories. This is an extremely rare occurrence, having happened only four times in NBA history, the last time being by David Robinson of the San Antonio Spurs on February 17, 1994. In a 115-96 win over the Detroit Pistons, Robinson had a monstrous game, with 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 blocks.

ALinChainz
12-22-2004, 12:49 PM
NBA ALL-TIME TRIPLE-DOUBLES LEADERS
Includes games played through April 10
Oscar Robertson 181
Magic Johnson 138
Wilt Chamberlain 78
Larry Bird 59
Jason Kidd 46

1961-62 vs. 2001-02
Includes games played through April 10
Player PPG RPG APG
Oscar Robertson 30.8 12.5 11.4
Jason Kidd 15.0 7.3 10.0

http://www.nba.com/features/kidd_tripdub_feature.html

Brett
12-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Hmm they didn't keep the stat when the Big O played, I guess they're going back now through all his stats to find them. Still that's pretty good that Magic is only 43 behind him, considering Oscar averaged a triple double for an entire season!

POJO_Risin
12-22-2004, 04:46 PM
They didn't keep the stat Brett...but it's an easy one to check...

they kept the stats for blocks, points, assists and rebounds...so you'd just have to create a database to figure it out...

the shit that I wanted to post last night...was what Al posted...

During that season Brett...the Big O had a triple double in half the games he played in...

and I forget what the percentage was in which he had more than 15 boards and 15 assists...but it was ridiculous...

even in that era...it ranks as one of the great seasons of all time.

and think about it...during his first six seasons in the NBA...OSCAR ROBERTSON'S CUMULATIVE STATS WERE A TRIPLE DOUBLE...

six seasons...that's unfuckingbelievable...

and he's generally not talked about as the greatest of all time...but should...

he had skills as a 6'6" player never before seen...kind of like Jordan...

apparently if you are a black guy going against mostly whites...it doesn't count...lmfao...

POJO_Risin
12-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Yesterday sums it up for me...

Kobe is a leader in stats...

Shaq is a leader period...

He's big enough to let Wade have a bigtime role on that team...and look how it comes back to the team yesterday...

nonames and WADE...and they dominated that OT...

Odom kept the Lakers in it...Kobe threw rocks...