PDA

View Full Version : Strat stripes on a Wolfy!? ...

Eyes of the Night
12-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Wella I tried ...

I started 3 days before I saw the "how to stripe a strat" thread and didn't have the foggiest of what I was getting into ...

Now after reading that thread I easily missed 4-5 steps ... I mean the shit ain't that bad and not bad at all for a rookie who felt that taping the Wolf everytime I changed strings wasn't good enough ...

Didn't even bother with Ed's new stripes that go on the Wolf ... just kinda winged it and came up with it almost ... there's no way strat stripes from that Kramer that I fooking dig the most out of any of his guitars is going to fit on da Wolfy ...

I'll redo it someday because I obviousley missed most of the prep of the paint ... I dig it though ...

http://eyes5150.homestead.com/files/Eyes/019.jpg

Yup going to have to sand that bitch down but kinda looks cool though the concept of just white with the black stripes going all the way around ...

http://eyes5150.homestead.com/files/Eyes/023.jpg

Sarge
12-22-2004, 04:07 AM
I think that looks great.

it's hard to put a custom finish on something and have it come out looking perfect..
Sarge

Eyes of the Night
12-22-2004, 04:47 AM
Word up Sarge! Sup brutha? ...

Hey did you happen to see what kind of half stack was in the background?;) ...

Plus it's kinda hard to sand something that has a coat over it already of whatever it is ... that's why the white fell or dripped to the back bottom where I'm going to sand it ...

The OG color was black with ivory trim ...

Think I will add a lil more "franky" into it next time ... I really dig the black stripes over the white ones towards the neck ... looks "addidas" kinda ...

Eyes of the Night
12-23-2004, 08:55 AM
This was the 3rd and last pic THAT day I was going to upload ... thanks fuckers who read my shit and not replied ... I see how you all are! lmfao

http://eyes5150.homestead.com/files/Eyes/011.bmp

Eyes of the Night
12-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Is that a satanic symbol on the back?;) ...

ThrillsNSpills
12-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Looks good man.

How does it play? I never got into Wolfies myself but I know a lot of people like them. I'm surprised you took the Dtuna off. I've got a steinberger bass with a switch that takes the E to a D and it's much easier to switch.

DLRdelight!
12-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Well i own a wolfgang myself and it plays very well. Can get the job done for practically anything

Eyes of the Night
12-26-2004, 06:39 PM
The Wolfgang, specially this one plays like a BUTTER ... smooth, very smooth ... I had the amber wolfgang once but it played like shit? ... trippy ...

Took the Dtuna off because I have it "floating" ... it's an unatural float because there's a chunk of wood Ed put there for the bridge to be recessed ... "ultimate tonality" ...

Fuck that, I want it to WAIL ... the dtuna would of gotten in the way as far as keeping it in tune while locked ... woulda been unstable if I'd left it on ...

GAR
12-27-2004, 03:21 PM
I would remove the hardware then, if you missed a few steps, and try to "age buff" the top to match the back which I like the most of all on this guitar:

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's (whatever) and get a thing of grade 3-zero and 4-zero steel wool (#000, #0000) and rub the top down in one direction, parallel with the strings.. just going up n down using 000.

THEN once you start to see the lines begin to blur, switch to the 0000 for a finer finish, which will somewhat polish it smoother but don't go down to the wood.

If you see wood fibers coming up after a few strokes of the 000, start instead with the 0000. Rub the whole guitar down like this to dull it completely, then get some Turtle Wax Polishing Compound (in the green tin) and some terry cloth material, like a fucked up towel, or the inside of a tube sock cut down the middle and exposed..

The polishing compound won't make the remaining paint completely shiny but will make a nice, smooth surface and will seal it a bit.

Steel wool=$3.29 a bag
Polishing compound is like, $2 bucks from Autozone or Pep Boys Auto.

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 02:26 AM
Looks good in the pics, but my problem is walking out on a stage with another mans trademark.
I used my Frankenstriped axe live once, but the whole damn time i played i felt like a poser.

It is a wall ornament now, and the guitar is in desperate need of restoration. This year marks it's 20th birthday in my possession and it is screaming for it's pearl white finish to be brought back.
It's still in tact underneath the Halenization, lol.

It's an Aria Pro guitar and i am looking for the stock guts to rebuild her. all i need is the wiring for all the push/pull knobs and switches.

Eyes of the Night
12-28-2004, 06:34 AM
"I used my Frankenstriped axe live once, but the whole damn time i played i felt like a poser." -CAT

Well Cat, that's because you ARE a poser:p ... kidding ... lmfao ... yeah, you and all your "digi this, digi that" ... Multi fake shit up the yahoo ... buwahaha! kidding;) ...

Yeah, THATS the thing about the hardware gizar ... I never took it off and nearly, if not warped the fuck out of my maple, from leaving it out in 45 degree weather for a couple hours to dry ... 3 times!:o ...

Fookin' speed:rolleyes: ...

She's my franky though, I felt her come back alive as each stage went along ... either that or it was THE drugs;) ...

DrMaddVibe
12-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Follow Gar's advice...I'd also use a glaze afterwards...that's just me though.

DrMaddVibe
12-28-2004, 09:32 AM
I forgot...Looks AWESOME.

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
"I used my Frankenstriped axe live once, but the whole damn time i played i felt like a poser." -CAT

Well Cat, that's because you ARE a poser:p ... kidding ... lmfao ... yeah, you and all your "digi this, digi that" ... Multi fake shit up the yahoo ... buwahaha! kidding;) ...

Yeah, THATS the thing about the hardware gizar ... I never took it off and nearly, if not warped the fuck out of my maple, from leaving it out in 45 degree weather for a couple hours to dry ... 3 times!:o ...

Fookin' speed:rolleyes: ...

She's my franky though, I felt her come back alive as each stage went along ... either that or it was THE drugs;) ...

LMMFAO, You're a funny dude.
Got a few questions though, why you hiding the 5150 and the Peavey logo's with tape?
And what tubes are you running in that beast?

That Wolfie was used when you got it, right?
I'd hate to think you did that to a new axe cause that's just a sin, bro, lmmfao.

Oh, and my setup will smoke the one you have proposed on more than one level.
Maybe we can have a forum Jam-Off once you get it all together?
A little friendly competition amongst friends?

The advantage would be yours of course seeing as i haven't played regularly for a few months now. :)

Matt White
12-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Very cool paint job Eyes! The wolfie looks hella kewl!:)

Eyes of the Night
12-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Got a few questions though, why you hiding the 5150 and the Peavey logo's with tape?

And what tubes are you running in that beast?

That Wolfie was used when you got it, right?

Maybe we can have a forum Jam-Off once you get it all together?
A little friendly competition amongst friends?

Wella, I'm hiding everything but the "II" because I don't want peeps to know what I'm playing when they go "that dude has some phat tone, what is he playing through?" ... Lol;)

Stock tubes ... what else is there that you would recomend?

FJamoff is a cool idea ... I was just going to upload some 1 min audio or video clips from a shitty 30 dollar webcam tonight ... you would smoke me, you know that ...

I'm like the Kurt Cobain of Rock ... was tought you can play sloppy if you have tons of passion ...

Used? For 1598.00 I sure wouldn't hope so! ... buwahaha True though, about halfway through after the paint RAN like a bitch I was saying "did I just fuck up this axe?" ... a tear gleamed from my eye, shook it off and in the end or as of right now she plays like BUTTER!

Oh and that setup was or is pretty much thrown out the window cept for da flange, chorus. and phase ...

Actually was thinking TC Gm7, you know just stick it in the effects loop and let her be ... until I found out she doesn't read anything dropped under E flat and my mission to keep it as dry as I can and let the II do her work naturally would be thrown out da window ...

Eyes of the Night
12-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
Very cool paint job Eyes! The wolfie looks hella kewl!:)

Gracias ... I have an Ibanez dt200 Destroyer on its way that I'll stripe too ... but prob custom stripes and or colors than the ones that are found on the cover of WACF ...

Cathedral
12-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Eyes
Wella, I'm hiding everything but the "II" because I don't want peeps to know what I'm playing when they go "that dude has some phat tone, what is he playing through?" ... Lol;)

Stock tubes ... what else is there that you would recomend?

FJamoff is a cool idea ... I was just going to upload some 1 min audio or video clips from a shitty 30 dollar webcam tonight ... you would smoke me, you know that ...

I'm like the Kurt Cobain of Rock ... was tought you can play sloppy if you have tons of passion ...

Used? For 1598.00 I sure wouldn't hope so! ... buwahaha True though, about halfway through after the paint RAN like a bitch I was saying "did I just fuck up this axe?" ... a tear gleamed from my eye, shook it off and in the end or as of right now she plays like BUTTER!

Oh and that setup was or is pretty much thrown out the window cept for da flange, chorus. and phase ...

Actually was thinking TC Gm7, you know just stick it in the effects loop and let her be ... until I found out she doesn't read anything dropped under E flat and my mission to keep it as dry as I can and let the II do her work naturally would be thrown out da window ...

WoW, you did that to a new axe, shame shame on you buddy, lmmfao.
It looks great in my opinion, don't get me wrong. I guess my point of view is from the perspective that i've done all that already and wish i hadn't, lol.

As for those stock Sovtek tubes, they are garbage and have very little warmth for that amp.
I highly recommend a set of JJ's from Eurotubes to wake that fucker up. you will be amazed at how much better the amp will sound with them installed.

Here's the link so you can do some research on them, but you won't be sorry if you give them a shot.

Eurotubes (http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm)

By the way, Ed's Frankie looked like shit up close, but it just wouldn't have the right flavor if it looked like glass.
We had a 5150 Kramer of Ed's that toured the Guitar Centers when i worked there many moons ago. It looked like shit as well, and his action was set very high compared to my Charvel.
I have no clue if it was adjusted by anyone during it's trips, but i was told it was the way Ed used it.
It was a treat to noodle where my once great hero's hands noodled when he was a decent musician.

I am glad to see you finally have some decent gear though. That rig will bring you many years of enjoyment i do believe.

Roth On!

GAR
12-29-2004, 08:14 PM
I would get a set of the new Groove Tubes reissues for the 6CA7!!! (oh, like I take my own advice ever) Hey, I am on this one!

Take the amp to a guitar tech and adjust the plate voltage to 700Volts. If the power transformer chokes out and wont go that high go as high as it can, then get a Variac till you find out how long the stock tranny will last running at 140.

I do notice the first-year 5150s transformers were custom made.. oversized probably indicates a higher possible tweaktitude for higher plate voltage, thats' just an observation here..

But boosting the input voltage with a Variac will turn up the output voltage and get you close, but if the stock shit Peavey tranny only goes to 525 then go to Mojotone.com and get a custom one that will do up to 650-750 output on them Big Bottles. You'll get a softer compression, deeper low end resonance, cleaner sounding and faster sizzle on the distortion and crisper harmonic overtones rippling off the higher notes when doing single-string tricks and excercises..

Eyes of the Night
01-02-2005, 05:36 AM
GAR, if I ever go on tour your're my TECH!!! ...

650-750 it is then ... peavey techs said "it's the way ed wants em" and that I would blow many of tubes up and that it would be expensive ...

Not if I beef up the voltage and tranny it sounds like ... what about the bias? ... what does that do? ...

GAR
01-03-2005, 03:10 PM
The Bias is the number of fiberglas treads on the..

GAR
01-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Sorruy - I cunt help it..

Try "google" with search terms such as "amp tube bias biasing" or a combination of them.

That's your amptech lesson of the week: Google. Now get a pot of coffee and 12 free hours of reading and studying open between changing diapers. You can do it..

Eyes of the Night
01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
http://eyes5150.homestead.com/files/guitarfiles/~mr0001.wav ...

There's an audio clip for ya'll ...

GAR
01-13-2005, 03:43 PM
I think I'd like to get a 5150-II because it has a built in monitor to the R-hand side I didn't know about.

http://eyes5150.homestead.com/files/Eyes/023.jpg

Peavey's always been ahead of other manufacturers in the Mixed-Media products - who's pic is that for your screensaver?

Eyes of the Night
01-15-2005, 10:39 PM
My daughter ... and it's a photo ... lmfao and on the very left is a scooby band aid ... and on the cab is a cut out addy for those beefy strings which btw are too beefy ...