PDA

View Full Version : What three songs that were left off The Best

academic punk
12-21-2004, 09:10 PM
were you most disappointed not to see represented?

(Note: work from the DLR band and Diamojnd Dave - since they were released AFTER The Best do not count)

Mine:

Damn Good (A rare moment of intimacy, nostalgia, and sentimentality from Dave. And manages to express it without resorting to Hagar-isms)

Coconut Grove (The softest side DLR had revealed to the public to that point. Also, some of his most souldful singing. I wish THIS had been on there rather than Easy Street)

Night Life or Hammerhead Shark (yeah, it's my thread, and I'm already being a pussy by breaking my own rule of three and naming four. One is yet another side of Dave, the other some good hard rock, surpassing the likes of "It's Showtime")

DavidLeeNatra
12-21-2004, 09:18 PM
I just got back from relaxing...I paint to relax and listened to ALAE while I was working on a naked chick in purple...hammerhead shark is a great song...so are the other two you mentioned...but I downloaded the nitelife-vid two days ago...

shit...why do I get asked to pick something everytime...I fucking CAN'T...

lms2
12-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Im with you Natra... After seeing the Nightlife Video... I am really into that song now.

DLR7884
12-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Nightlife is one of the best covers the DLR has ever done.

DLR7884
Hands down.

Bill Lumbergh
12-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Fuck, I thought I was the only one who dug Hammerhead Shark. Cool.

Vivian Campbell
12-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Fuck, I thought I was the only one who dug Hammerhead Shark. Cool.

Count me as another guy who likes Hammer Head. I love the "Beep bop belula bitty bop shoo wow!" verse. So simple, yet so fun!

academic punk
12-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
Count me as another guy who likes Hammer Head. I love the "Beep bop belula bitty bop shoo wow!" verse. So simple, yet so fun!

Hey, cool, we can all form a little "Hammerhead Shark" fan club.

BTW, Viv, if I'm not mistaken you're DLR quote is from a Penthouse interview back in '86. Am I right? Good rules to live by.

Big Troubles
12-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Id say Baby's On Fire, Easy Street/Coconut Grove and fuck I dont know???? Last Call is a good tune too....

fanofdave
12-24-2004, 02:25 PM
1. Damn Good

2. Experience
(.....man, that philosophy runs right through you....)

3. Night Life

If Dave doesn't do another kicking rock album, I'd love
to hear a collection of blues tunes from DLR. The brother
has got soul in the voice.

Big Troubles
12-24-2004, 11:08 PM
Tell the Truth and Sensible Shoes are good soul/ bluesy songs. Damn, Im really on a ALAE kick. ;)

TwoFoolsAMinute
12-25-2004, 11:23 PM
That's Life -- It was kinda a hit, don't know why it wasn't on there. It had a video and everthing.

Damn Good -- I'm not a huge fan of this song.. Is it the only Roth power ballad? But it again was something of a hit. shouda been on there.

#3 I'll go with "Experience" or "Tell the truth". Nice bluesy side of Roth that would round out the cd.

Mr Badguy
12-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Experience (totally under-rated)

Drop in the bucket

That`s life

Marlowe01
01-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Experience

Tell the Truth

Damn Good

*there are other songs that could have made it or replaced others, like "Coconut Grove" or "Drop in the Bucket", but the three I've mentioned were ESSENTIAL, but didn't quiet make it on there. To me, it doesn't really matter since I have every single album, but it could have been a little bit better and made more money because of it.

ashstralia
01-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Hey, cool, we can all form a little "Hammerhead Shark" fan club.

i'm in.

Bad Muthafucker
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Tell the Truth and Sensible Shoes are good soul/ bluesy songs. Damn, Im really on a ALAE kick. ;)

i've been on an ALAE kick for about 4 to 5 years now! and still am!

Bad Muthafucker
01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Tell The Truth instead of Sensible Shoes

Damn Good instead of Hot Dog And A Shake

Drop In The Bucket to finish off this epic instead of Land's Edge

The reason I say one song INSTEAD of another is because, keep in mind, there's only 80 minutes to a CD. If I could just ADD those songs without deleting any of the existing ones, then certainly I would because the more Dave, the better. But anyway, enough of my rambling...

DlocRoth
01-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Oooh, thats ballsy.

Replacing Hot dog.

academic punk
01-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I happen to HATE Hot Dog...the goofiest lyrics in Dave's career (in a bad, Tommy Lee giggles at it kind of way), and a really hackneyed, cliche chord sequence. Some people love Vai's solo - but to me its just acrobatics (and he does in fact trip and lose his fingering at one point).

Yeah, that tune makes me cringe.

SEnsible Shoes howveer I like a lot. I wouldn't want to see that replaced on The Best.

I also like Land's Edge, though it's definitely not the best performance of Dave's career. Though Experience would be preferable to it.

Mezro
01-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Tell the Truth

Coconut Grove

Drop in the Bucket

Mezro...maybe Experience, Sunburn...fuck...too many...

bigc
01-23-2005, 05:08 PM
drop in the bucket definitely

I like it...the surprise at the end of ALAE

Last_Child
02-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Tell The Truth!

Damn Good

Easy Street

and I think "Hot Dog & a Shake" Suck.

cwsmith17
02-26-2005, 01:44 AM