PDA

View Full Version : 7 9-11s in a day?

Seshmeister
12-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Current death estimates for the South East Asian earthquake.

Sri Lanka: 10,800 dead
Indonesia: 4,500 dead
India: 2,958 dead
Thailand: 839 dead
Malaysia: 44 dead
Maldives: 32 dead
Burma: 30 dead
Bangladesh: 2 dead

BigBadBrian
12-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Let's see how much financial aid the UK gives. :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
12-27-2004, 07:46 AM
What a horrible disaster.

Let's not politicize this eh B3?

Phil theStalker
12-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

We should give awards for posters like Sesh.

:spank:

ODShowtime
12-27-2004, 08:43 AM

The scale of this is enormous. I read that Sri Lanka is 1,000 miles from the epicenter of the quake. :eek:

BigBadBrian
12-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
What a horrible disaster.

Let's not politicize this eh B3?

No, let's do. Don't you have the balls? That was the reason Sesh started it in the Frontline. :gulp:

Ally_Kat
12-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
No, let's do. Don't you have the balls? That was the reason Sesh started it in the Frontline. :gulp:

and compared it to 9/11, even though 9/11 was a man-made disaster and this one was a natural disaster.

Nickdfresh
12-27-2004, 01:19 PM

Last I heard it was 22,000 and counting. No, we shouldn't. It's not about balls, it's about taste.

LoungeMachine
12-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Last I heard it was 22,000 and counting. No, we shouldn't. It's not about balls, it's about taste.

I agree w/ Nick.

This goes beyond borders, and politics, and agendas.

This is human.

Not that it matters, but I have 2 close friends attending a wedding in Jakarta as we speak, and have not heard from them.

ODShowtime
12-27-2004, 02:13 PM
I don't know if I'm ever gonna be able to take a nap on a beach again. No bullshit.

Catfish
12-27-2004, 04:24 PM

What the hell does this mean, Sesh? That 9-11 must not have been that bad?

Who are you to say that, bro? Jesus!

Don't you think there's a difference between a NATURAL disaster and being attacked by faceless pussies in a cowardly fashion?

LoungeMachine
12-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Sesh was putting numbers in perspective.

Nevermind. It obviously went WAY over your head.

Go back to what you know, posting racial slurs and talking about men's anatomy.

Catfish
12-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Sesh was putting numbers in perspective.

Nevermind. It obviously went WAY over your head.

Go back to what you know, posting racial slurs and talking about men's anatomy.

No he wasn't dumbass. He was doing exactly what I said he was.

Go back to feeling up your gay brother, dude.

Cathedral
12-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
and compared it to 9/11, even though 9/11 was a man-made disaster and this one was a natural disaster.

I'm confused about the comparison myself. an act of man and a natural disaster are two completely different things.

LoungeMachine
12-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Sesh can speak for himself, but as I read it, he was merely putting the NUMBERS into perspective.

Poor comparison?
maybe.

But I get the intent, I think.

We'll let Sesh tell us himself.

Catfish
12-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Sesh can speak for himself, but as I read it, he was merely putting the NUMBERS into perspective.

Poor comparison?
maybe.

But I get the intent, I think.

We'll let Sesh tell us himself.

Go fuck a chimp, dummy!

BigBadBrian
12-27-2004, 06:04 PM
I agree w/ Nick.

This goes beyond borders, and politics, and agendas.

This is human.

Not that it matters, but I have 2 close friends attending a wedding in Jakarta as we speak, and have not heard from them.

Oh Bullshit. That is with a capital B. You and Nick weren't posting in this forum when the earthquakes hit Iran were you?

Fuck no.

Sesh was.

I was.

Ally was.

Cathedral was.

Hell, Catfish posts primarily at DDLR now (I had over 5000 posts at that place myself until Von experienced the "Big Crash") and probably was on here then.

But usernames "LoungeMachine" and "Nickdfresh" were nowhere to be seen during the fucking drunken Scotsman's rant about US aid during that fiasco. Aid, which I might remind readers, in which the US outspent THE REST OF THE FUCKING WORLD TO AN UNGRATEFUL FUCKING NATION.

Now.....

Once again....

The US is once again....

Leading all other nations in the humanitarian effort.

The US has already donated 15 million in aid. Not a lot, but a start.

The 25-member European Union, to their shame, has thus far only been able to come up with a measly 3 million Euros. :rolleyes:

Fucking cheapskates.

LoungeMachine
12-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Before my time here B3. Forum history of which I'm unaware.

I just dont see it as a contest. We give because we CAN, because we SHOULD, and because we CARE.

REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE REST OF THE WORLD DOES.

Let them LIVE with their own guilt.

As to the Iran earthquake, I too supported US AID.

Just not in here.

So feel free to kick my ass

Catfish
12-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Oh Bullshit. That is with a capital B. You and Nick weren't posting in this forum when the earthquakes hit Iran were you?

Fuck no.

Sesh was.

I was.

Ally was.

Cathedral was.

Hell, Catfish posts primarily at DDLR now (I had over 5000 posts at that place myself until Von experienced the "Big Crash") and probably was on here then.

But usernames "LoungeMachine" and "Nickdfresh" were nowhere to be seen during the fucking drunken Scotsman's rant about US aid during that fiasco. Aid, which I might remind readers, in which the US outspent THE REST OF THE FUCKING WORLD TO AN UNGRATEFUL FUCKING NATION.

Now.....

Once again....

The US is once again....

The US has already donated 15 million in aid. Not a lot, but a start.

The 25-member European Union, to their shame, has thus far only been able to come up with a measly 3 million Euros. :rolleyes:

Fucking cheapskates.

:rockit:

Guitar Shark
12-27-2004, 06:12 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, Brian has a point...

Catfish
12-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Before my time here B3. Forum history of which I'm unaware.

I just dont see it as a contest. We give because we CAN, because we SHOULD, and because we CARE.

REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE REST OF THE WORLD DOES.

Let them LIVE with their own guilt.

As to the Iran earthquake, I too supported US AID.

Just not in here.

So feel free to kick my ass

Shut your mouth you donkey dick!

LoungeMachine
12-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
As much as I hate to admit it, Brian has a point...

Hard to see the point without knowing the history, GS

I'll read up on the threads he speaks of before commenting further.

Catfish
12-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Hard to see the point without knowing the history, GS

I'll read up on the threads he speaks of before commenting further.

What a pussy you sound like!

Seshmeister
12-27-2004, 06:39 PM
I wasn't having a go at anyone.

It's fucking impossible to imagine 23 000 people being killed in a single event. I was trying to put it in some sort of perspective.

Because it's 'over there' I think we don't feel it affects us but it shouldn't be like that. Why should a dead baby you've never met in Thailand mean any less or more than a dead baby you don't know 50 miles away?

That's all I meant.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Catfish
12-27-2004, 06:41 PM
That is a lot of dead motherfuckers.

Living a few blocks from the beach makes me think now!

LoungeMachine
12-27-2004, 06:49 PM

It's fucking impossible to imagine 23 000 people being killed in a single event. I was trying to put it in some sort of perspective.

Because it's 'over there' I think we don't feel it affects us but it shouldn't be like that. Why should a dead baby you've never met in Thailand mean any less or more than a dead baby you don't know 50 miles away?

That's all I meant.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Thanks, Sesh.

Just as I thought.

LoungeMachine
12-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Catfish
That is a lot of dead motherfuckers.

Living a few blocks from the beach makes me think now!

unfuckingbelievable.:rolleyes:

Catfish
12-27-2004, 06:59 PM
unfuckingbelievable.:rolleyes:

You have no idea what I'm talking about and Sesh does, you dumb fucking jabroni!

Go back to munching on your sister's rancid beaver!

LoungeMachine
12-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Catfish
No he wasn't dumbass. He was doing exactly what I said he was.

So much for that theory

Seshmeister
12-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I'm confused about the comparison myself. an act of man and a natural disaster are two completely different things.

I notice noone has used the phrase 'act of God' which opens a whole can of worms...;)

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 01:41 AM
I notice noone has used the phrase 'act of God' which opens a whole can of worms...;)

I know i have no need to go there with you, we understand each other as much as we can agree on with that subject, so i ain't going there again, lol.

But worm soup with a side of crackers sounds tasty indeed, Mmmmm Mmmmm Good!

BigBadBrian
12-28-2004, 07:48 AM

I took a course recently in Geography specifically dealing with disasters, both natural and manmade.

Natural disasters of this type usually bring casualties of this order as recently as several times in the last fifty years, particularly in India and Bangladesh. Horrific, huh?

Have a nice day. :)

Nickdfresh
12-28-2004, 08:44 AM
The death toll has been updated to 32,000 this morning. Sri Lanka has raised their toll by 6,000 alone.:(

BigBadBrian
12-28-2004, 09:12 AM
The death toll has been updated to 32,000 this morning. Sri Lanka has raised their toll by 6,000 alone.:(

A pity really, considering most of these nations didn't heed tsunami warnings from the United States fearing it would interrupt their tourist industry. All hail GREED. :gulp:

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 09:16 AM

Update: we're at 40,000 now and still climbing:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/ap/20041228/ap_on_re_as/quake_tidal_wave

In Sri Lanka a train was derailed by the waves. 1,000 people right there. This is just horrible.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 09:21 AM
80K and rising

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Jesus Christ it doubled just now? God help those poor people. I read an article titled "Asia loses entire generation of children"

Puts things into perspective, something I need often.

Nickdfresh
12-28-2004, 09:35 AM
A pity really, considering most of these nations didn't heed tsunami warnings from the United States fearing it would interrupt their tourist industry. All hail GREED. :gulp:

Really B3? I didn't know we could predict 8.9 Ricter scale earthquakes. After that WMD debacle, I don't think our word means much at this point. Do you?:rolleyes:

Especially in the part of the world where its never happened before.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Jesus Christ it doubled just now? God help those poor people. I read an article titled "Asia loses entire generation of children"

Puts things into perspective, something I need often.

Media reporting 40K

I have 2 friends staying in Jakarta right now for a wedding, and they say the numbers to be announced will be 80K.

I try and imagine what we'd be thinking/doing if it had happened of the one of OUR coasts. Tsunami warning systems or not

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 10:54 AM
I have 2 friends staying in Jakarta right now for a wedding, and they say the numbers to be announced will be 80K.

I'm glad to hear your friends are ok.

Many parts of Sumatra (and probably other countries too) haven't even been reached yet. The toll will rise in the coming days and weeks even. 100s of Americans are still missing.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm glad to hear your friends are ok.

Many parts of Sumatra (and probably other countries too) haven't even been reached yet. The toll will rise in the coming days and weeks even. 100s of Americans are still missing.

thanks OD

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 03:38 PM
We're at 59,000 and counting:

Asia Disaster Yields Its Dead, Toll at 59,000

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20041228/ts_nm/quake_dc&e=1

BigBadBrian
12-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Really B3? I didn't know we could predict 8.9 Ricter scale earthquakes. After that WMD debacle, I don't think our word means much at this point. Do you?:rolleyes:

If they don't want to listen, fuck them. They have their own leaders to blame. I guess their leaders can blame our leaders for not being "trustworthy," although the NOAA is totally seperate from the CIA et al. It's just a pity they didn't want to "listen."

Especially in the part of the world where its never happened before.

I guess God's plan of thinning the herd is in progress. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
12-28-2004, 06:54 PM

That's the way Osama Bin Laden thinks.

ODShowtime
12-29-2004, 09:00 AM
I'm starting to get concerned about the horrible festering conditions with 1000s of bodies rotting in tropical heat and the sitting water and destroyed sanitation. This can lead to terrible outbreaks and even new diseases springing from the mass. This could reach a global scale if we're not careful.

LoungeMachine
12-29-2004, 09:14 AM

If this is a joke, shame on you.

If you're serious, shame on you:mad: :mad:

BigBadBrian
12-29-2004, 09:56 AM
If this is a joke, shame on you.

If you're serious, shame on you:mad: :mad:

I'm serious. Deal with it. :gulp:

BigBadBrian
12-29-2004, 09:58 AM

People over there are probably building new houses in the same locales as we type right now. :gulp:

Editted by TripleB Enterprises for a stupid spelling error. :D

LoungeMachine
12-29-2004, 10:00 AM

Tens of thousands of innocent people, largely CHILDREN die, and it's either funny, or "God's plan" to you?

I really dont know what to say.

If it had wiped out Manhattan would you have honestly made the same post?

I doubt it.

BigBadBrian
12-29-2004, 10:03 AM
People over there are probably building new houses in the same locales as we type write now. :gulp:

Also, before you accuse me of being a racist, my wife is Asian originally from that part of the World.

So politely Kiss my Ass. :D

It's a Tragedy to be sure...but do a little research. Like I said earlier...tsunamis like this really aren't a common occurrence, but when they happen every decade or two in that part of the world, results like this ARE common.

:(

BigBadBrian
12-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Tens of thousands of innocent people, largely CHILDREN die, and it's either funny, or "God's plan" to you?

I really dont know what to say.

If it had wiped out Manhattan would you have honestly made the same post?

I doubt it.

Tsunamis are not typical of Manhattan. They are of SE Asia. End of Geography lesson. :D :gulp:

Nickdfresh
12-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Tsunamis are not typical of Manhattan. They are of SE Asia. End of Geography lesson. :D :gulp:

No! No they are not! Not on this scale anyway. Are 8.9 magnitude earthquakes common? What line of reasoning are you attempting to employ here, That they deserved it for living on the coast? WTF is that about?

LoungeMachine
12-29-2004, 11:10 AM

No shit.

Way to miss the point.

Forgot who I was talking to.

LoungeMachine
12-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Also, before you accuse me of being a racist, my wife is Asian originally from that part of the World.

So politely Kiss my Ass. :D

It's a :(

That's YOUR guilt talking

But I guess in your mind being a racist is ok because you married outside of your race.

Pathetic.

BigBadBrian
12-29-2004, 03:15 PM
That's YOUR guilt talking

But I guess in your mind being a racist is ok because you married outside of your race.

Pathetic.

Yeah...I married an Asian so I could justify my inner feelings.

I guess that makes sense to some.

Not to most people, though. Live on, LM. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
12-29-2004, 03:51 PM
If they don't want to listen, fuck them. They have their own leaders to blame. I guess their leaders can blame our leaders for not being "trustworthy," although the NOAA is totally seperate from the CIA et al. It's just a pity they didn't want to "listen."

Where are you getting this 'report' from? This is the first I've heard of it.

I guess we can throw abortion into the God's plan catagory, eh B3?

Nickdfresh
12-29-2004, 06:09 PM
A wave of destruction

Indian Ocean's tragic tsunami mandates massive relief and a new warning system

12/29/2004

Of the most common of nature's destructive forces - fire, water and wind - water is the easiest to underestimate. Perhaps because it is so common, so essential and usually so tame, its power to destroy is often overlooked. But when was the last time wind or fire took more than 50,000 lives?
The disaster around the edges of the Indian Ocean is cataclysmic in its breadth and unfathomable in its depth. The earthquake-born tsunami that crashed around the ocean's perimeter is a calamity unlike any in memory. A third of the dead are thought to be children. Disease brought on by unburied bodies and other unsanitary conditions could raise the death toll tens of thousands more.

Natural disasters are the lot of mankind, of course, but while we have not eliminated the threats of tornados, hurricanes or floods, many parts of the world have become expert at warning of their arrival. But for the foolishness of some storm-watchers, for example, it hardly seems possible for a hurricane to cause a single death ever again in this country.

Unfortunately, tsunamis are harder to predict than hurricanes or, once formed, even to spot. Not all undersea earthquakes produce these giant waves, for example, and even when they do, the wave is hardly more than a ripple until it reaches the shallower depths of a continental shelf.

Still, a warning system exists in the Pacific Ocean, which has been more likely to produce these killer waves. The network was created in 1965, a year after a magnitude 9.2 quake sent tsunamis crashing into Alaska. In terrible hindsight, the absence of such a system serving nations of the Indian Ocean is a towering failure, especially given the relative ease with which a system can be established.

A basic structure of seismic sensors and tide gauges could be set up within two years, a representative of the U.S. Geological Survey's national earthquake information service told a reporter. That would be an important start, but producing warnings is the easy part.

More difficult is ensuring that people in the path of a tsunami get the message in time to flee. In poor societies such as many of those bordering the Indian Ocean, television and Internet access is nothing like it is in wealthier nations. Even if the warning were received by a national government, how would the news be spread?

That problem will not be easily solved, but with the grim events of the past few days still before the world, it is clear that the work must begin. The financial cost of this disaster - to say nothing of its emotional toll - will be staggering. If only a few thousand more people survived, the work of establishing a warning system would have been worth the effort.

First, though, must be the quick work of responding to the reality of this current disaster. Bodies must be buried or cremated. Food, shelter and clothing must be delivered to survivors. Sanitation must be provided. And it all needs to happen now.

All nations should be prepared to help, especially those, like this one, whose vast resources can help to keep the death count from spiraling even higher. This is a human disaster of staggering proportions. To make a difference, human kindness, generosity and ingenuity must flow in equal proportion.

BigBadBrian
12-29-2004, 09:11 PM
I guess we can throw abortion into the God's plan catagory, eh B3?

No. The tsunami was God's plan...as harsh as it seems. The freewill murder of infants by their mothers is not. Those mothers will answer for their actions one day. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
12-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Why would God care about the abortion of fetus' if he feels nothing about wiping out, what is it now, 80,000 self-aware, sentient people in one stroke?

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/2004/december/ogrish-dot-com-tsunami_aftermath.jpg

Praise Jesus for killing the little brown folk so I can have cheaper gasoline and more beach front property! God bless America! "I am proud to be an American..."

Nickdfresh
12-29-2004, 09:41 PM
A tsunami comes in:

Here (http://www.ogrish.com/archives/tsunami_images_and_tsunami_video_of_tidal_wave_Dec _29_2004.html)

BigBadBrian
12-29-2004, 09:51 PM

Praise Jesus for killing the little brown folk so I can have cheaper gasoline and more beach front property! God bless America! "I am proud to be an American..."

Yeah, all the victims were brown folk you fuckwad, as these survivors can attest: :mad:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041228/capt.dll11012281357.thailand_quake_tidal_wave_dll1 10.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041229/i/r2448806704.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041228/capt.dll10812281851.thailand_quake_tidal_wave_dll1 08.jpg

Nickdfresh
12-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Yeah, all the victims were brown folk you fuckwad, as these survivors can attest: :mad:

I wonder if they feel more privileged to be part of "God's plan," or to have escaped the grasp of the almighty?

BigBadBrian
12-29-2004, 10:19 PM
I wonder if they feel more privileged to be part of "God's plan," or to have escaped the grasp of the almighty?

Why don't you fly down and ask them. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
12-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Why don't you fly down and ask them. :gulp:

No, God has that part of the world zeroed in for depopulation. Not a good idea.:(

Nickdfresh
12-30-2004, 03:20 AM
Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Posted: 6:01 PM EST (2301 GMT)

Thousands of Americans unaccounted for

The U.S. State Department is working to find thousands of Americans unaccounted for days after powerful tsunamis struck countries bordering the Indian Ocean.

No exact numbers are available, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said, but "we're working at any given moment 2,000 to 3,000 names now that we're looking for."

"We shouldn't assume the worst. ... There are often Americans who are outside of the regions that directly suffered who might not have gotten in touch."

Authorities have reported more than 80,000 deaths in at least 11 countries after Sunday's tsunamis that were triggered by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake. (Full story)

Boucher said the department was getting about 400 calls per hour from concerned relatives seeking their loved ones.

"In many cases, we are getting lists of these people out to embassies," Boucher said. "Embassies then are able to track them down or hear from them or identify them."

Names are constantly being added to the list as new calls come in from families, he said.

Boucher said 12 Americans are known to have been killed -- seven in Sri Lanka and five.

People are being asked to visit hospitals and morgues to identify Americans, Boucher said.

More Americans are in Thailand than in any other affected nation, but they are being sought in other countries as well, he said.

The Thai government has assured U.S. officials, amid concern about mass graves, that the remains of non-Thai citizens will not be buried without proper identification, he said.

Photographs, fingerprints and DNA samples are being taken and the location of foreigners' remains is being monitored by the government, Boucher said.

"Our consular affairs task force has been up and running 24 hours a day," he said.

"They're responding to calls, they're responding to faxes. ... The task force itself is placing calls to families to get more information or, in many cases, to pass on information that we can find."

The toll-free number to the task force is 888 407-4747.

Boucher offered advice for Americans who may be traveling in southern Asia, even if they are far away from sites where the tsunamis struck:

"Call your mother. This is a time where people who know they're hundreds of miles away from ... where the disaster might have occurred need to call home and tell their relatives, who know it's only a quarter-inch on the map."

ODShowtime
12-30-2004, 09:22 AM
guys, it's surpassing my worst estimates now :(

Death toll in Asian quake disaster passes 118,000

Indonesia has borne the brunt of Sunday's catastrophe, with a health ministry official putting the country's toll at 79,940 with entire coastal villages disappearing under the wall of water.

In Sri Lanka 24,743 were confirmed killed by the tidal waves, while 4,916 people were still missing, the president's office said.

The death toll in India hit 10,850 with many thousands still missing, officials said.

In southern Thailand nearly 2,400 people, among them more than 700 foreign tourists, were killed, the interior ministry said.

The ministry listed 6,130 people missing, most of whom Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said were feared dead.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041230/ts_afp/asiaquaketoll_041230133757&e=2

This could be de-stabalizing for the regions. A commentator was talking yesterday about how the CIA should be analyzing this and get the admin to take the initiative to try to get good PR for the US out of this. I have to agree. I like when our rep is built on helping.

LoungeMachine
12-30-2004, 10:09 AM
No. The tsunami was God's plan...as harsh as it seems. The freewill murder of infants by their mothers is not. Those mothers will answer for their actions one day. :gulp:

So "God" cc's YOU his itinerary each day?

Plan today = wipe out 50,000 innocent children, buy milk, pick up dry cleaning........

FUCKING HYPOCRITICAL BULLSHIT

you are now entering katydid territory, B3, how's it feel?

#1 How do you propose to know what is "God's plan" and what isnt?

#2 Why do you fucking bible thumping sheep always use "God's plan" to justify your hatred, racism, and bigotry?

Hey, I just got a memo....It says "God's Plan" is to have you raped in prison

Here's a notion, try and wrap your mind around it.

There is no "plan"

Things happen from a combination of free will and cause & effect

The "creator" doesnt change the weather, start wars, or give a shit if you get gang banged in prison

Deal with THAT

LoungeMachine
12-30-2004, 10:18 AM

Must've been God's plan for them to be there:rolleyes:

Opiate for the Masses

Hey, if we all just let go, and say everything is "God's plan", then that relieves us of the burden of taking responsibility for anything.

Irag war = God's plan

Tsunami = God's plan

BigBadBrian wife cheating on him = God's plan

Nickdfresh
12-30-2004, 10:36 AM
BigBads gonna' have a rough week over this. Now he's been likened to Katydid.

ODShowtime
12-30-2004, 10:47 AM
I don't know what's up with the cons this week. They just don't have that spark.

Jesus Christ
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
No. The tsunami was God's plan...as harsh as it seems.

Do not speak for Me or My Father, as We do not "plan" the deaths of thousands of human beings (OK, Dad had that one bad day back with the Flood, but verily, that was a long time ago)

We do not plan these things, but yet if ye read Matthew 24, then ye realize that it is a sign of the times.

Many of what ye call "natural disasters" are in actuality the result of man made damage unto this planet which We created. And verily, the environmental policies of the son of Bush will only ensure that more of these sort of things happen. :(

Now if ye will excuse Me, I have a unusually full immigration department this week, and St. Peter needeth a hand with the paperwork.

BigBadBrian
12-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
Do not speak for Me or My Father, as We do not "plan" the deaths of thousands of human beings (OK, Dad had that one bad day back with the Flood, but verily, that was a long time ago)

We do not plan these things, but yet if ye read Matthew 24, then ye realize that it is a sign of the times.

Many of what ye call "natural disasters" are in actuality the result of man made damage unto this planet which We created. And verily, the environmental policies of the son of Bush will only ensure that more of these sort of things happen. :(

Now if ye will excuse Me, I have a unusually full immigration department this week, and St. Peter needeth a hand with the paperwork.

Shut up, FORD. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
12-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Here's the official death toll update:

Tsunami death toll tops 116,000
The death toll from Sunday's tsunamis jumped sharply today to over 116,000 after Indonesia reported nearly 80,000 people were killed in that country alone. Emergency workers said that in some parts of Indonesia's Aceh province as many as one in four people are dead.

FULL STORY
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/asia.quake/index.html):(

Angel
12-30-2004, 06:34 PM
The US is once again....

The US has already donated 15 million in aid.

Canadian Federal Govt has donated 40 million in aid. Provincial Govt of BC, I believe, another 2 million. I'm not sure what other provincial govt's have hopped on board yet. Canadian citizens over 8.7 million through private donations.

Sorry, BBB, but unless you guys have increased your $ amount, you're NOT leading!

Angel
12-30-2004, 06:36 PM

Actually, both US and Canadian geologists on the West Coast tried to get warnings through when they detected the quake. I don't say it very often, but B3 is right! :gulp:

Nickdfresh
12-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Last I heard, Spain topped out at $68Million, the U.S. is chipping in $35M, but we are sending a lot of Naval ships for medical and security purposes.

Also:

Thousands of Americans missing after tsunamis
U.S. confirmed death toll rises to 14
Thursday, December 30, 2004 Posted: 2:55 PM EST (1955 GMT)

(CNN) -- The U.S. State Department is working to find thousands of Americans who are still missing after powerful tsunamis struck countries bordering the Indian Ocean.

Spokesman Richard Boucher said Thursday the confirmed death toll of Americans killed in the disaster has risen to 14.

The exact number of missing Americans in the region is unavailable. "We're working, at any given moment 2,000 to 3,000 names,..." Boucher said.

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/30/tsunami.americans/index.html)

ODShowtime
12-31-2004, 12:09 AM
we're sending a damn aircraft carrier. that's a little pricey these days.

and my one clueless friend from LA didn't even know about it until I mentioned it to him about 1 hour ago :rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
12-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Canadian Federal Govt has donated 40 million in aid. Provincial Govt of BC, I believe, another 2 million. I'm not sure what other provincial govt's have hopped on board yet. Canadian citizens over 8.7 million through private donations.

Sorry, BBB, but unless you guys have increased your $ amount, you're NOT leading!

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) - The United States is pledging $350 million to help tsunami victims, a tenfold increase over its first wave of aid, President Bush announced Friday.

"Initial findings of American assessment teams on the ground indicate that the need for financial and other assistance will steadily increase in the days and weeks ahead," Bush said Friday in a statement released in Crawford, Texas, where he is staying at his ranch.

"Our contributions will continue to be revised as the full effects of this terrible tragedy become clearer," he said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this epic disaster."

Bush also is sending Secretary of State Colin Powell to Indian Ocean coastal areas ravaged by earthquake and tsunami to assess what more the United States needs to do. The president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, will travel with him.

The newly announced aid came after some critics claimed that the initial U.S. contribution of $35 million was meager considering the vast wealth of the nation.

France has promised $57 million, Britain has pledged $95 million, Sweden is sending $75.5 million and Spain is offering $68 million, although that pledge is partly in loans.

Powell was traveling to New York on Friday to discuss the crisis with U. N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

Bush said disaster response officials are on the ground and the United States has established a support center in Thailand that is in operation. More than 20 patrol and cargo aircraft have been made available to assess the disaster and deliver relief supplies, he said.

"Many of those aircraft are on the scene," Bush said.

The president said the United States has dispatched the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, a maritime squadron from Guam and an amphibious ship carrying a Marine expeditionary unit. "They will soon be in position to support relief efforts to include the generation of clean water," he said.

On Friday, the president spoke by phone with British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin about the relief and recovery efforts and was briefed by Powell and National Security Council officials on the efforts under way.

White House deputy press secretary Trent Duffy, who read the president's statement to reporters on the phone, did not disclose details of where the additional U.S. aid was being found in government coffers. He said, however, that the administration was talking with congressional officials about replenishing funds being used to back the tsunami aid pledge.

The president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who has experience with extensive hurricane damage in Florida, will travel with Powell overseas. A congressional delegation headed by Rep. Jim Leach, R-Iowa, a former U.S. foreign service officer, is scheduled to visit Thailand and Sri Lanka next week.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who often travels to blighted areas, said Thursday he plans to visit India to try to help victims of tsunamis that have left millions of people at risk of disease.

"I feel like I've been hit in the stomach," Frist, R-Tenn., said in an e-mail to friends and supporters. "It is like 9/11 but so different. There is no one to blame."

Andrew Natsios, chief of the U.S. Agency for International Development, said his staff arrived in the stricken areas on Monday, and he stressed the importance of assessing needs and organizing.

"This is a very complex operation," Natsios said Friday on CBS'"The Early Show.""If it's not managed properly, we can actually slow down the relief effort."

Canada was added Friday to a coalition of countries and organizations planning relief efforts. Others are the United Nations, the United States, Japan, India and Australia.

The U.S. death toll rose to 15, with eight dead in Thailand and seven in Sri Lanka. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said some 600 Americans who were listed as missing have been found, but several thousand had not been located four days after the disaster struck.

In Sri Lanka, Boucher said, Americans have been showing up at U.S. consular offices wearing bathing suits, with no money and no clothes.

With the global death toll continuing to rise, European governments discussed holding an international donors conference Jan. 7.

Boucher said the United States would participate in any such gathering, but he did not give details.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 04:23 PM
See! All they need is a public relations disaster to do the right thing. By the way Brian, are you donating anything? You never answered my question.

FORD
12-31-2004, 04:27 PM
we're sending a damn aircraft carrier. that's a little pricey these days.

and my one clueless friend from LA didn't even know about it until I mentioned it to him about 1 hour ago :rolleyes:

Well, the carrier was kinda in the neighborhood already, so it's not like they had to ship one out from the States.

The USS Lincoln was involved in a training excersize somewhere in the South Pacific.

Sure hope it didn't have anything to do with underwater weapons testing :(

Seshmeister
01-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Angel

BBB posts like this is a sports foum.

Pretty childish stuff.

As it happens since the UK and Canada have given more by population never mind GDP.

BigBadBrian
01-03-2005, 06:36 PM

Pretty childish stuff.

As it happens since the UK and Canada have given more by population never mind GDP.

Thanks for your input Sesh. Now go back to falling off your barstool. :gulp:

Seshmeister
01-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Aren't you depressed that while falling off a barstool I can still beat you in every argument on these forums with my left hand without spilling the drink in my right...?:D

BigBadBrian
01-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Aren't you depressed that while falling off a barstool I can still beat you in every argument on these forums with my left hand without spilling the drink in my right...?:D

You may wish that were true...but it's not. ;)

Angel
01-04-2005, 02:28 PM

Pretty childish stuff.

I agree Sesh. Pretty sad that GWB had to hire his poppy and Clinton to head a campaign to get Americans to donate. Our Govt is trying like mad to keep up with citizen donations. Over 61 mil from citizens alone.... That's approximately $2 for each citizen.

That means that US citizens should have contributed what, about 700 mil by now? Come on people, reach into your damn pockets!

and yes, BBB, I have made my $100 contribution.