PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Question

ALMOSTsaved
12-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Probably NOT the right place to post this...

Yesterday, I purchased a Sony Subwoofer for my home stereo system. As usual when I got home I found that Sony wasn't too forthcoming with the instructions.

First things first. I've hooked up the Subwoofer and it sounds incredible, but I noticed on the back that there is a "phase" switch that says "normal" and reverse.

Does anyone know what this is for? There's absolutely NOTHING written about this switch in the instructions and when I do switch it, there's not too big of a difference.

Let's see if I can get an answer here before calling the less than helpful sales people at Circuit City.

Thanks in advance!

Carmine
12-27-2004, 02:20 PM
This should help dude....

www.hometheater.about.com/cs/loudspeakers/a/aasubwoofera.htm

ALMOSTsaved
12-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks so much! 5 Stars for you!

Carmine
12-27-2004, 02:37 PM
no problem! Thanks, back at ya....

ALMOSTsaved
12-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Gracias!

GAR
12-27-2004, 02:55 PM
If the bass sounds deeper when you flip that "phase switch" then that is the proper position for it.

It allows people who got the wrong polarity when wiring things up to correct the problem, being that all it does is "sum" up the sub-sonic frequencies' spectrum from both channels.

These things should really be called "SUMMING" subwoofers, except that not all subs are the same - its just that in 5 way Dolby or DTS stereo systems, that's how the prefer to carry the lower frequencies -

THIS allows the manufactur of the speaker drivers to get away with smaller, cheaper speakers for both R-front, R-rear, & L-front and L-rear channels because the upper range is the one most noticeable percieved during occurances of sound segments like common dialogue and background noice and music.

The bass range should be also at least both left and right channels - it sounds more natural and better to me anyways because everytime there's an explosion, a boom, a crash - the subwoofers in these 5*1 systems seem to take off on their own power and it's a weird experience when watching a movie - especially when the sub makes the whole house rattle, which is a distraction when trying to become absorbed in shit like Spiderman 2.. watch that one with your system turned up and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Watch it with your finger on the phase switch and you'll probably notice the differences in the 2 different settings, too. Neither one is a "wrong" setting, meaning neither will harm your system. It's just that for correct phase, the speaker cone should push forward instead of pulling backward for best operation= you can check this by unplugging the sub and touching a 9v battery to the terminals positive to negative, negative to positive (battery and spkr terminals) and it should make the cone throw forward.

Touch a stripped toaster cord plugged into the wall outlet to the terminals, and watch it throw YOU forward...

GAR
12-27-2004, 02:55 PM
My cock is unplugged..