PDA

View Full Version : Beltran impressed by Yankees

Bob_R
12-27-2004, 08:03 PM
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Carlos Beltran was impressed by George Steinbrenner after meeting with the Yankees owner earlier in the week, and told a newspaper in Puerto Rico that he would not be intimidated by playing in New York.

The free-agent All-Star center fielder who led the Houston Astros within one win of their first World Series, talked with Steinbrenner in Tampa, Fla., on Tuesday.

``The meeting with Steinbrenner was very good,'' Beltran said in a story published in Friday's edition of Primera Hora newspaper. ``He is a professional person, super-educated. I've let them know my interest, and they have interest, too, about me joining their team.''

The Yankees -- and Astros -- clearly will have some competition in the race for the prized outfielder. Beltran said the New York Mets, Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs have also shown interest.

``The Mets have been very aggressive,'' he said. ``So far, they haven't made any offers. I think we'll have a meeting very soon to talk personally.''

No meeting with the Mets is scheduled, but will probably take place the week of Jan. 3.

Beltran thinks he would be prepared to play in a high-profile baseball environment, such as New York.

``In all the places, when you do something good, the people applaud you. When you do something bad, they boo you,'' he said. ``That happens in all the big league parks.''

The All-Star outfielder batted .417 in the NL championship series for the Astros with four home runs, five RBIs and four steals after hitting .455 with four homers and nine RBIs in the division series. If Houston doesn't reach an agreement by Jan. 8, the Astros would be ineligible to re-sign him until May 1.

``As a baseball player, I want to be treated fairly -- based on what I've done in my career,'' Beltran said. ``Of course, the opportunity to win is bigger than the economic thing. I want to be part of a winning team. I will consider every team.''

POJO_Risin
12-27-2004, 08:15 PM
LMFAO...

what's he supposed to say...

"Well George...Fuck your 100+ million...you suck donkey dick!"

My guess is...George could punched him in the balls...and dragged him through human feces...

and Beltran woulda said...

yessa massa George...

ALinChainz
12-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Yeah, not hard to be impressed by many zeroes and a serie contender with a huge tradition and history.

Carmine
12-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
LMFAO...

what's he supposed to say...

"Well George...Fuck your 100+ million...you suck donkey dick!"

My guess is...George could punch him in the balls...and dragged him through human feces...

and Beltran woulda said...

yessa massa George...

LMAO! Whatever works Pojo.....:D