PDA

View Full Version : U.N. official slams U.S. as 'stingy' over aid

BigBadBrian
12-28-2004, 08:12 AM
U.N. official slams U.S. as 'stingy' over aid

By Bill Sammon
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Bush administration yesterday pledged $15 million to Asian nations hit by a tsunami that has killed more than 22,500 people, although the United Nations' humanitarian-aid chief called the donation "stingy."

"The United States, at the president's direction, will be a leading partner in one of the most significant relief, rescue and recovery challenges that the world has ever known," said White House deputy press secretary Trent Duffy.

But U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland suggested that the United States and other Western nations were being "stingy" with relief funds, saying there would be more available if taxes were raised.

"It is beyond me why are we so stingy, really," the Norwegian-born U.N. official told reporters. "Christmastime should remind many Western countries at least, [of] how rich we have become."

"There are several donors who are less generous than before in a growing world economy," he said, adding that politicians in the United States and Europe "believe that they are really burdening the taxpayers too much, and the taxpayers want to give less. It's not true. They want to give more."

In response to Mr. Egeland's comments, Mr. Duffy pointed out that the United States is "the largest contributor to international relief and aid efforts, not only through the government, but through charitable organizations. The American people are very giving." :)

Offers of aid have poured in from around the world in the past two days, with the European Union's executive arm releasing $4 million in emergency aid and pledging an additional $27 million. Canada and several European nations — including Spain, Germany, Ireland and Belgium — each pledged about $1 million yesterday. :rolleyes:

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell hinted that the $15 million U.S. offer was only the first installment of a larger aid package to those countries devastated by 30-foot waves triggered by a massive underwater earthquake.

"We also have to see this not just as a one-time thing," he said. "Some 20-plus thousand lives have been lost in a few moments, but the lingering effects will be there for years.

"The damage that was caused, the rebuilding of schools and other facilities will take time," he added. "So you need a quick infusion to stabilize the situation, take care of those who have been injured, get immediate relief supplies in, and then you begin planning for the longer haul."

If that planning calls for significant food aid, the United States might have to scramble.

"Even before the crisis in the Asia-Pacific region and the Indian Ocean, the demands for food aid were stretching capacity: demands in Sudan, demands in West Africa, demands in other areas hit by drought and fighting," State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said.

"So even though we're giving a lot, the demand is very high," he added. "We're going to have to look at, as we move forward, what we can do to meet that demand."

Money and food are not the only types of aid being sent by the Bush administration. The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) also is sending a 21-member disaster-relief team to the region.
Also, the Pentagon has dispatched military patrol planes from the Pacific Fleet. President Bush has written letters of condolence to seven of the affected nations — Bangladesh, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, the Maldives and Malaysia.

Besides the United States, the largest single national donor was neighboring Australia, which offered $10 million and transportation aid.
"Australia will and should give more," Prime Minister John Howard said.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies made an initial appeal of $6.7 million, which the federation says it will probably increase.

Officials from relief agencies, including the Red Cross and other nongovernmental organizations, met yesterday in Geneva to coordinate their efforts. In New York, diplomats from six of the affected nations met with U.N. officials.

The United Nations and other aid organizations have deployed hundreds of disaster-recovery and humanitarian-response teams to the region, and officials warn that the cost of the disaster could quickly reach "many billions of dollars."

"We may only know the full effect of this emergency weeks from now," Mr. Egeland told reporters yesterday at the United Nations in New York. "The disaster affecting Southeast Asia is not the biggest in recorded history, but the effects could be the biggest because more people live in exposed areas than ever before."

The tsunami-ravaged nations are particularly susceptible to epidemics as authorities struggle with thousands of corpses in unsanitary conditions. International organizations and nations including France, Japan, Israel, Kuwait, Hungary and others are sending medical personnel to some or all of the affected countries.

"The principal danger is that of diseases transmitted through water, especially malaria and diarrhea, and infections caught through respiration," said Hakan Sandbladh, a Red Cross official in Geneva.

Groups such as Doctors Without Borders warned that catastrophes tend to help localized illnesses turn into full-blown epidemics.

The destruction of water and sewage pipes, the disruption of vaccination programs and the lack of attention to disease-carrying pests such as rats and mosquitoes exacerbated the risk, they said.

In this situation, the stagnant pools of water created by the tsunami could boost the numbers of mosquitoes and other insects that transmit tropical maladies such as malaria and dengue fever.

"The risk of epidemics is also linked to concentrations of people whose houses have been destroyed," said Pauline Horrill of Doctors Without Borders.

Meanwhile, Agence France-Presse reported that a tsunami alert system in Hawaii that warns Pacific countries about devastating tidal waves detected the earthquake that led to the destruction across Indian Ocean nations.

But the absence of an alert system in Asia meant the information could not be sent out fast enough.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, established in 1949 after a huge wave killed more than 150 people in Hawaii, issued a bulletin at 3:14 p.m. local time or 8:14 a.m. in the affected area, when it detected an earthquake off Indonesia.

The NOAA's information bulletin said there was a possibility of a tsunami near the earthquake's epicenter, but that no destructive threat existed in the Pacific. The huge tidal waves instead swept across the Indian Ocean, killing people in 10 countries from Indonesia to Somalia.

• Betsy Pisik, reporting from the United Nations in New York, contributed to this article, which is based in part on wire service reports.

DrMaddVibe
12-28-2004, 08:42 AM
I think we ponied up for the global war on terror...let one of the muslim nations stand and deliver to their brothers.

Vanstonica
12-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Good call, Dr! 5 stars!

It's amazing to me that everyone slams the US for getting involved in foreign matters, but as soon as there is a disaster, we're slammed if we don't contribute the majority of aid.

BigBadBrian
12-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Vanstonica
Good call, Dr! 5 stars!

It's amazing to me that everyone slams the US for getting involved in foreign matters, but as soon as there is a disaster, we're slammed if we don't contribute the majority of aid.

EXACTLY!!!

Nickdfresh
12-28-2004, 09:47 AM
I agree with this one BigBad.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Alert the Media.

I must agree w/ B3

This best not become a habit

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Sorry, I have to agree too. Seriously, these fuckers bitch and moan about us all the time and then they EXPECT us to just drop millions immediately like they're ENTITLED to it. We could say FUCK YOU and rot, but we don't.

"Stingy" seriously, these UN folks are really starting to get under my skin. Who the fuck do they think they are?

McCarrens
12-28-2004, 11:03 AM
I never thought I'd see the day when Lounge Machine and I would agree on something.

aesop
12-28-2004, 11:06 AM
U.N. official slams U.S. as 'stingy' over aid

US Citezens slam U.N. as 'Spineless' and 'Impotent' in the areas of Foreign Diplomacy and Competence...

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by McCarrens
I never thought I'd see the day when Lounge Machine and I would agree on something.

There's hope :D

Ally_Kat
12-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime

"Stingy" seriously, these UN folks are really starting to get under my skin. Who the fuck do they think they are?

My fave part was when he said we could spend more on aid if we raised taxes.

Big Train
12-28-2004, 02:51 PM
I think we are all not understanding what he means by stingy. What he is referring to is the amount of cash in his kickback envelope. In his own words:

"It is beyond me why are we so stingy, really," the Norwegian-born U.N. official told reporters. "Christmastime should remind many Western countries at least, [of] how rich we have become."

Exactlty, he has become rich via the UN, so more wealth should be spread around, especially to him...

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
My fave part was when he said we could spend more on aid if we raised taxes.

yeah, I'd love to have my lifestyle degraded further to help ungrateful ********s and ********s.

NOPE

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 03:15 PM
STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!!!!

B-3, OD and Nickfresh on the same page?

Proof that there is truly a bright light at the end of the tunnel, lmmfao.

I don't speak for everyone of course, but I don't want to give more to my government, i think they could use a lot less so they learn how to manage our tax dollars more efficiently.
"Stingy"?, that's a laugh riot there.
We have given more to the world than the world has ever given to us, and in the end WE get shit on no matter what we have done as a nation for humanitarian efforts.

I feel for the 40,000+ people now confirmed dead from these quakes/floods, but to be called "stingy" while digging deep to help out?
Maybe we should consider a reduction in the aide package we are about to offer and say to the world once and for all that we will no longer give a shit about what happens to them if they don't start appreciating and showing some damn respect for our long history of "Saving The Day".
And if that is too extreme, let's adopt a policy of matching donations from other Nations and avoid being the major contributors in any event. In essence, if they want our money they had better pony-up themselves because we will no longer be the worlds punching bag during times of political conflict, or the money bags for those same nations that regularly try to punch us in the eye.

"Stingy" is hardly a word i would "ever" use to describe the US during times of hardship and tragedy across the globe.

Fuck the UN and those backstabbing fools who think they have any right to dictate to us the amount of charity we put forth.
They'd be better served to keep their damn mouths shut unless they intend to say "Thanks".

This idea that's it's OK to be the worlds punching bag is just fucking silly, and this American has had enough.

fanofdave
12-28-2004, 03:20 PM
attention U.N.:

SUCK MY FUCKING COCK

WE CONTRIBUTE SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY
TO EVERY CORNER OF THE WORLD AND YOU
HAVE THE BALLS TO CALL US STINGY?

SUCK IT LONG AND HARD

Happy Holidays, U.N.,

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!!!!

B-3, OD and Nickfresh on the same page?

No need to dispute, this guy's a cocksucker. He already apologized apparently:

UN Official Backs Down: Rich Nations Not 'Stingy'

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The international response to a catastrophic tsunami in Asia has been quick and generous, a senior U.N. official said on Tuesday, playing down his earlier comments that wealthy nations were stingy.

U.N. Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland rowed back from statements he made on Monday after an annoyed Secretary of State Colin Powell said Washington was "the greatest contributor to international relief efforts in the world."

"The United States is not stingy," Powell told CNN's "American Morning" program.

Egeland told reporters on Tuesday: "I've been misinterpreted when I yesterday said that I believed that rich countries in general can be more generous."

"It has nothing to do with any particular country or the response to this emergency. We are in early days and the response has so far been overwhelmingly positive," he said.

"The international assistance that has come and been pledged from the United States, from Europe and from countries in the region has also been very generous," Egeland added.

God damn right tulip boy.

Mezro
12-28-2004, 03:43 PM
We should just give the 15 million to Thailand.

Mezro...the U.S. needs to keep a strong pimp hand on the hooking action...

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
No need to dispute, this guy's a cocksucker. He already apologized apparently:

UN Official Backs Down: Rich Nations Not 'Stingy'

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The international response to a catastrophic tsunami in Asia has been quick and generous, a senior U.N. official said on Tuesday, playing down his earlier comments that wealthy nations were stingy.

U.N. Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland rowed back from statements he made on Monday after an annoyed Secretary of State Colin Powell said Washington was "the greatest contributor to international relief efforts in the world."

"The United States is not stingy," Powell told CNN's "American Morning" program.

Egeland told reporters on Tuesday: "I've been misinterpreted when I yesterday said that I believed that rich countries in general can be more generous."

"It has nothing to do with any particular country or the response to this emergency. We are in early days and the response has so far been overwhelmingly positive," he said.

"The international assistance that has come and been pledged from the United States, from Europe and from countries in the region has also been very generous," Egeland added.

God damn right tulip boy.

ROTMFFLMMFAO @ "tulip boy"...I was not ready for a belly laugh of that magnitude.
I have a respiratory infection right now and that just plain hurt, lol.

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Yeah I thought that would go over well. It's fun when we're all on the same page sometimes.

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Yeah it is, it's a shame we cannot run our country like that more often.
Ya know, when you look at the big picture here at home, we all aren't far from a common ground.
It just seems like our desire to compromise and come closer together gets clouded by ideology and an over bearing need to be right while proving the other side wrong.

We lost touch as a Nation, only i cannot figure out exactly when we drifted off the path of unity.
Tragic as it was, 9-11 gave us a taste of what we lost for a short time.

I'll admit that the Bush Admin wrongly took advantage of that when the Patriot Act was drafted, but dammit we have got to learn how to work together without constant bickering and conspiring or we're all going to be fucked.

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 04:23 PM
that's a nice sentiment, but we already are fucked. I just want some lub so it goes down easier.

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Happy B-Day, OD!

I got news for anyone planning on fucking me...my ass has teeth. :)

I respectfully disagree that we are already fucked, we haven't elected a woman president yet, lmmfao.

DrMaddVibe
12-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Give till it hurts bitches!

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13638489

Angel
12-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Offers of aid have poured in from around the world in the past two days, with the European Union's executive arm releasing $4 million in emergency aid and pledging an additional $27 million. Canada and several European nations — including Spain, Germany, Ireland and Belgium — each pledged about $1 million yesterday. :rolleyes:

Actually B3, due to the public's bitching, Canada has changed their donation from 4 million to 40 million. That's just the federal govt. The provincial gov't of BC has donated 2 million, I believe. I don't know what the other provinces have committed to yet. As of this morning, Canadian citizens had donated 8.7 million through various agencies.

Has the US increased it's initial 15 mil yet?

Big Train
12-30-2004, 09:08 PM
PLEASE, you know 15 mil doesn't even BEGIN to say how much we are gonna give before it's over...it will be billions with a B.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 05:21 AM
December 31, 2004

CATASTROPHE IN SOUTHERN ASIA
U.S. Aid Generous and Stingy
It depends on how the numbers are crunched -- total dollars or a slice of the overall economy.

By Sonni Efron, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON — Americans think of themselves as the most generous people on Earth. So to many, it came as a shock to hear that the U.S. response to the southern Asian tsunami this week was considered stingy.

But views of American generosity depend on who is doing the measuring and how.

By total money, the United States by far donates more than any other country in the world. This is the gauge preferred by most U.S. officials.

But when aid is calculated per U.S. citizen or as a percentage of the economy, the United States ranks among the least generous in the industrialized world.

As U.S. officials and foreign aid experts debate which measure is more apt, the issue is another example of how Americans' views of themselves differ from those from around the world.

"I don't take kindly to comments from the U.N. calling these miserly responses, when we're the ones who generally foot the bill, and we will in this one," said Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), referring to comments this week from U.N. aid officials questioning initial U.S. aid offers.

The Bush administration now is pledging much more, at least $35 million, up from $15 million, and said the amount would rise further. Still, others in Washington sympathize with the view held outside U.S. borders that Americans can afford more.

"It's embarrassing," said Tim Rieser, an aide to Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) who works on foreign aid issues in the Senate and was in the Sri Lankan capital when the tsunami struck. "Nothing illustrates this more vividly than that out of a trillion-dollar budget, we provide less than 1% for foreign assistance and far less than 1% for humanitarian aid.

"Our ability to give far exceeds what we do give," Rieser said.

Critics of U.S. giving often cite statistics from the Paris-based Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development, which each year measures overseas development assistance as a percentage of gross national income for the 22 leading industrialized nations.

In 2003, the United States ranked dead last on OECD's list, spending only 0.15% of its national income. Other Western countries contributed more. Norway spent 0.92% of its national income; France 0.4% and Britain 0.34%.

Officials in both the Bush and the Clinton administrations have argued that the OECD statistics are misleading. The OECD does not measure many forms of assistance provided by the U.S. government other than formal foreign aid, officials said.

Although the OECD measure puts U.S. spending on foreign aid at $16.2 billion last year, the U.S. Agency for International Development counts U.S. giving differently. USAID officials point to its report on aid in 2000 saying government assistance to developing countries totaled $22.6 billion. Further, private assistance — including giving by individuals, religious groups, foundations, corporations, universities and others — was an additional $33.6 billion, said USAID, for a total of more than $56 billion.

Still, many outside the U.S. government believe that aid spending should not include some military expenditures or funds to promote democracy.

Even using the American view of largess, the United States comes up short compared with other nations, said Patrick Cronin, a former assistant administrator for policy and program coordination at USAID under President Bush.

"We have to do more," said Cronin, now at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington think-tank. "But we have to do it smart, and we have to change the debate away from a simple redistribution of wealth to a discussion of … aid effectiveness."

A different key measure of international generosity was devised by the Center for Global Development and Foreign Policy magazine. It ranked rich countries' contributions to the poor in terms of contributions through aid, trade, investment, technology, security, technology and the environment. Countries got points for the quality as well as the quantity of their aid and contributions.

On that scale, the U.S. ranked seventh out of 21 nations, behind Canada, Britain, Australia, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands.

Japan, which is one of the world's largest aid donors but collects huge interest payments on its development loans, ranked last.

The scale found that U.S. contributions of pure foreign aid was relatively much lower than other countries'. The U.S. scored higher on immigration and trade. Allowing foreigners and foreign products into the country are considered measures of how much a rich country is willing to help poorer ones.

But the study upended the commonly held view that shortfalls in U.S. government aid for the global poor were made up by private American contributions.

It found that U.S. government foreign aid in 2002 worked out to 13 cents per American a day. Private donations from U.S. citizens amounted to 5 cents per person a day.

But in 16 other countries, governments gave more. And in three other countries — Switzerland, Ireland and Norway — private citizens gave more.

The Norwegian government gave $1.02 per citizen a day while private giving came to 24 cents a day.

Cronin said that U.S. per capita giving would never match that of Norway, a nation of 4.5 million. On the other hand, the United States makes many other contributions that are hard to quantify in dollar terms, he said, including using its military prowess for worldwide peacekeeping operations that benefit others, or airlifting tsunami relief supplies to remote areas and sending in ships that desalinate water.

"We're not going to hand out the Nobel Peace Prize, but we are going to go into harm's way and provide international security in a way Norway won't, even though they are a staunch U.S. ally," Cronin said.

David Roodman, one of the architects of the Center for Global Development study, argued that no wealthy country was giving enough to the poor.

"Stingy, of course, is a relative term," Roodman said. "I wouldn't say the entire world is stingy. But helping the rest of the world is clearly a low priority in making our policies, and that's true in every country to a greater or lesser extent."

U.S. overseas assistance aid declined in the late 1990s but has increased under Bush from $10 billion in 2000 to $16 billion in 2004. That represents about a quarter of total aid from all the industrialized countries.

At the same time, without another large spending hike, U.S. commitments to Iraq and Afghanistan and now the 11 tsunami-stricken nations are expected to strain the budget for aid to other parts of the world.

Some critics compared Bush's $35-million pledge for the tsunami victims with the roughly $1 billion a week the U.S. was spending in Iraq.

Although the American left has traditionally lobbied for more foreign aid, it is the Christian right that is credited with convincing the administration to spend more on fighting global AIDS and on hunger in Africa. Christian groups also pressed Bush to increase relief efforts for the tsunami victims.

Given the war in Iraq, political efforts in the Muslim world are especially sensitive. Some critics have argued that the administration should have jumped at a chance to show its generosity over a natural disaster that hit Asian Muslims.

In an interview with ABC News' "Nightline," outgoing Secretary of State Colin L. Powell defended the administration's efforts on behalf of Muslims. He said the U.S. had played an important role in Kosovo, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan, where he maintained Muslim populations were freed from oppression.

"So we have nothing to apologize for with respect to what we have tried to do to help Muslims over the years," Powell said. "And this [tsunami aid] is another example of our willingness to help."

The Bush administration has tried to focus its aid on key goals such as economic and political reform. And its Millennium Challenge Account aid program is designed to give assistance to countries that use it most effectively toward those ends.

Some applaud those goals, saying Americans should insist on productive use of aid. Others, like David L. Phillips of the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, said the Bush administration "sees development assistance through an ideological prism."

"Its approach to foreign aid is based on a democracy and freedom criteria," Phillips said. "There's nothing wrong with linking aid to democratic development, but that shouldn't preclude countries that are just starting on the path to democracy from benefiting from foreign aid."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Times staff writers Paul Richter and Peter Wallsten in Washington contributed to this report.

(BEGIN TEXT OF INFOBOX)

Foreign aid

Government aid and private giving, per person, per day in 2002: Country Government Private
Norway $1.02 $0.24
Denmark 0.84 0.01
Sweden 0.61 0.01
Netherlands 0.57 0.04
Switzerland 0.35 0.07
Belgium 0.28 0.02
Ireland 0.28 0.06
France 0.25 0.01
Finland 0.24 0.01
Britain 0.23 0.02
Japan 0.20 0.004
Austria 0.18 0.02
Canada 0.17 0.02
Australia 0.14 0.03
United States 0.13 0.05
Italy 0.11 0.002
Spain 0.11 0.01
Portugal 0.9 0.001
New Zealand 0.8 0.01
Greece 0.7 0.001
Sources: Center for Global Development, Foreign Policy magazine

Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-generous31dec31,0,379722.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 06:24 AM
The U. N. is a joke who shouldn't be taken seriously by anybody while the U. S. gives more money privately by its own citizens & by its own goverment whoever the president is at the time when a tragedy like this earthquake & tsunami occurs so the stingy comment is ludicrous.

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
The U. N. is a joke who shouldn't be taken seriously by anybody while the U. S. gives more money privately by its own citizens & by its own goverment whoever the president is at the time when a tragedy like this earthquake & tsunami occurs so the stingy comment is ludicrous.

No, what's ludicrous, besides your run on sentence, is the FACT that your statement is pure bullshit.

But don't let facts get in your way.

BigBadBrian
12-31-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
No, what's ludicrous, besides your run on sentence, is the FACT that your statement is pure bullshit.

NO. Wayne was pretty much correct. Grammar excluded.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
NO. Wayne was pretty much correct. Grammar excluded.

Wayne's an idiot that talks out of his ass with no information to back up what he says; Grammar is definately NOT excluded!

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 09:21 AM

I think the U. N is complete bullshit as an organization which means my statement is correct since it's mostly against the U. S. & Kofi Annan is a joke LoungeMachine.

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 09:24 AM
My point is we [USA] DONT give more money per capita than anyone else in the world.

Nick's number dont lie, sheep do.

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 09:28 AM
My point is we [USA] DONT give more money per capita than anyone else in the world.

Nick's number dont lie, sheep do.

I think the USA gives enough money to help other countries in need like this tragedy & they don't appreciate it anyway so all this whining from the U. N. & far left liberal wackos is ludicrous.

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 09:35 AM
Yes.

Whining IS ludicrous.

Can't imagine why you're not taken more seriously by our State Dept.

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 09:41 AM
Yes.

Whining IS ludicrous.

Can't imagine why you're not taken more seriously by our State Dept.

The U. N. is the biggest joke in the history of so called world unity while the USA should get out of this origanization before President Bush leaves office in 08. I don't think the State Dept. takes you seriously at all my poor uneducated friend.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 09:57 AM
The U. N. is the biggest joke in the history of so called world unity while the USA should get out of this origanization before President Bush leaves office in 08. I don't think the State Dept. takes you seriously at all my poor uneducated friend.

Give a specific reason. Or were you just told to hate the U.N. by shitty radio program hosts?

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Give a specific reason. Or were you just told to hate the U.N. by shitty radio program hosts?

I don't think a talk radio host had to tell me that the U. N. is one of the biggest jokes as a so called world organization because it speaks for itself. I can think for myself unlike some which is saying a lot especially on this site. Who does your thinking for you, since it can't be you Nickdfresh?

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 10:26 AM
I don't think a talk radio host had to tell me that the U. N. is one of the biggest jokes as a so called world organization because it speaks for itself. I can think for myself unlike some which is saying a lot especially on this site. Who does your thinking for you, since it can't be you Nickdfresh?

Nice! Answer a question with a question you can't answer...BTW, The guy on my shoulders does my thinking for me!

http://gregkrieger.tripod.com/aladamson/angelo/angelomaster500.jpg

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 10:31 AM
Nice! Answer a question with a question you can't answer...BTW, The guy on my shoulders does my thinking for me!

http://gregkrieger.tripod.com/aladamson/angelo/angelomaster500.jpg

I wouldn't doubt it at all. The U.N. is a crazy, mindless, worthless organization that causes more problems than it helps in the long run which is why it's time for the U.S. to withdrawal from it.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't doubt it at all. The U.N. is a crazy, mindless, worthless organization that causes more problems than it helps in the long run which is why it's time for the U.S. to withdrawal from it.

Still no opinion based on specific FACTS! Just more bullshit right-wing generalizations from the "America Firster" mindset!

Have a fuckin' super-sized Freedom Fries on me Wayne from your fav. restaurant: PrickDonalds!

http://www.imediata.com/lancededados/IRAQUE/imagens/magic_freedom_fries_3.jpg

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 10:54 AM

I've read for some time what a mindless dolt you are, but thanks for confirming it for me.

By the way, being called "uneducated" by someone with your limited reach is hilarious.

Or to use your "word of the day", ludicrous.

"The UN is the biggest joke in the history of so called world unity"

That statement pretty well sums up your level of understanding.

Still waiting by the mailbox for your invitation to Mensa?:rolleyes:

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 11:01 AM
Still no opinion based on specific FACTS! Just more bullshit right-wing generalizations from the "America Firster" mindset!

Have a fuckin' super-sized Freedom Fries on me Wayne from your fav. restaurant: PrickDonalds!

http://www.imediata.com/lancededados/IRAQUE/imagens/magic_freedom_fries_3.jpg

I'm not a right wing or left wing anything but you seem out of touch with reality my uncool, uneducated freak. I don't like McDonalds because they're overrated but Wendy's is a whole lot better.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm not a right wing or left wing anything but you seem out of touch with reality my uncool, uneducated freak. I don't like McDonalds because they're overrated but Wendy's is a whole lot better. :D

You are such an idiot! You have no clue do you. You shame the Neocons on this board with you "ludicrous" ineptitude. Why don't you go off and fill your day by being useful, by the way, no I don't want that super-sized.

You are way too dumb to even fuck with!

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 11:13 AM
:D

You are such an idiot! You have no clue do you. You shame the Neocons on this board with you "ludicrous" ineptitude. Why don't you go off and fill your day by being useful, by the way, no I don't want that super-sized.

You are way too dumb to even fuck with!

What is your definition of being way too dumb, unless you mean as smart as you, which isn't too smart?

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 11:14 AM
What is your definition of being way too dumb, unless you mean as smart as you, which isn't too smart?

I find your posts really funny!:DYOU receive:

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 11:16 AM
What is your definition of being way too dumb,

Glad you asked.

ANYTHING posted by you falls under the listing: Way too dumb.

I'm sure you've heard that your entire life though.

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 11:27 AM
Glad you asked.

ANYTHING posted by you falls under the listing: Way too dumb.

I'm sure you've heard that your entire life though.

I think everything that you post is known as stupid & incoherent most of the time because it makes no sense.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 11:33 AM
I think everything that you post is known as stupid & incoherent most of the time because it makes no sense.

I rest my case!:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 11:38 AM
I think .

All evidence to the contrary

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 11:39 AM
I rest my case!:rolleyes:

I know your mom & dad are probably uptight with you because you're making a fool out of yourself on this DLR Army site. I would suggest to you that you get an education & get a life or you might be going to fight in the war in Iraq after possibly graduating. I don't care what you call me whether it's idiot or anything else because I know I'm right & I didn't just hear about VH from this website unlike yourself.

Big Train
12-31-2004, 11:45 AM
December 31, 2004

Officials in both the Bush and the Clinton administrations have argued that the OECD statistics are misleading. The OECD does not measure many forms of assistance provided by the U.S. government other than formal foreign aid, officials said.

Although the OECD measure puts U.S. spending on foreign aid at $16.2 billion last year, the U.S. Agency for International Development counts U.S. giving differently. USAID officials point to its report on aid in 2000 saying government assistance to developing countries totaled $22.6 billion. Further, private assistance — including giving by individuals, religious groups, foundations, corporations, universities and others — was an additional $33.6 billion, said USAID, for a total of more than $56 billion.

[/url]

The thing with the UN is that we provide bucketloads of cash for all of their operations (this per capita nonsense is dumb-overall amounts are all that count) and more importantly, operational and military support, which CERTAINLY has a value, in billions in equipment, man hours and transport.

In addition, how much do we really NEED to give? For any given disaster, there is so much that can be spent, in combination with other countries, to restore what was there. The Democratic senator seems "embarassed" that we don't fit everyone's bill in full all the time, because we can. The Republican senator seems to be conservative enough to understand that and finds it offensive the UN would think we were stingy. That's the UN though, always asking for more cash on the barrelhead, which will mysteriously disappear. Which is probably why they don't count our other valuable forms of tangible help.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 11:49 AM
I know your mom & dad are probably uptight with you because you're making a fool out of yourself on this DLR Army site. I would suggest to you that you get an education & get a life or you might be going to fight in the war in Iraq after possibly graduating. I don't care what you call me whether it's idiot or anything else because I know I'm right & I didn't just hear about VH from this website unlike yourself.

Now you are repeating yourself Wayne through mutiple threads and forums. Is that from a "cut n' paste" web site for retards with unoriginal comebacks and a learning disability that prevents them from having any trace of wit?

Actually asstard, I TAUGHT high school and was in the Army during Gulf War I (I'm 34 btw ADD in case you didn't read my profile). And most of my students wrote far better than you can. Keep spewing grammatically horrid sentences and then KEEP calling everyone "uneducated" "moron(s)" you dumb fucktard! They could use YOU in Iraq, maybe you could set off roadside bombs or something.

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Now you are repeating yourself Wayne through mutiple threads and forums. Is that from a "cut n' paste" web site for retards with unoriginal comebacks and a learning disability that prevents them from having any trace of wit?

Actually asstard, I TAUGHT high school and was in the Army during Gulf War I (I'm 34 btw ADD in case you didn't read my profile). And most of my students wrote far better than you can. Keep spewing grammatically horrid sentences and then KEEP calling everyone "uneducated" "moron(s)" you dumb fucktard! They could use YOU in Iraq, maybe you could set off roadside bombs or something.

What's going on in your life that you get so uptight about everything? You teaching high school is like Charles Manson teaching religion & it's a laughable.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
The thing with the UN is that we provide bucketloads of cash for all of their operations (this per capita nonsense is dumb-overall amounts are all that count) and more importantly, operational and military support, which CERTAINLY has a value, in billions in equipment, man hours and transport.

Correct sir. You are right and I did mention that very fact in a previous post somewhere. We actually dispatched a Carrier Battle Group this morning.

In addition, how much do we really NEED to give? For any given disaster, there is so much that can be spent, in combination with other countries, to restore what was there. The Democratic senator seems "embarassed" that we don't fit everyone's bill in full all the time, because we can. The Republican senator seems to be conservative enough to understand that and finds it offensive the UN would think we were stingy. That's the UN though, always asking for more cash on the barrelhead, which will mysteriously disappear. Which is probably why they don't count our other valuable forms of tangible help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does all of the money actually go through the UN? And though SOME in the UN has done some pretty horrid things (and the UN as a whole has ignored some pretty horrid things), they have a fairly good record at this sort of thing. But aid levels in proportion to our GNP, and coinsidering the fact that Spain has effectively given double the amount we pledged, isn't that a little embarrassing? Aren't disasters like this the kind of events what fans the flames of terrorism?

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 12:07 PM

What's going on in your life that you get so uptight about everything? You teaching high school is like Charles Manson teaching religion & it's a laughable. [/b]

Why? You ought to thank me dipshit! I already improved your writing with simple remedial advice. Must have done something right. Me...Uptight? Dude, you should talk as you attack everyone with your bullshit the minute they call you on something. I'll give you props for knowing who Charles Manson is though.

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Why? You ought to thank me dipshit! I already improved your writing with simple remedial advice. Must have done something right. Me...Uptight? Dude, you should talk as you attack everyone with your bullshit the minute they call you on something. I'll give you props for knowing who Charles Manson is though.

You have way too much time of your hands with a nothing life & you don't even know the subject of the post about the U. N. either.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 12:20 PM
You have way too much time of your hands with a nothing life & you don't even know the subject of the post about the U. N. either.

Wow Wayne, you know so much about me! At least I know how to grasp the basic facts of the U.N. Why don't you go out and find a big article on the U.N. so you can finally have a clue. Try wilkepedia.com or maybe pick up a copy of "Life for Dummies."

DLR7884
12-31-2004, 12:21 PM
This guy, Wayne knows his politics!

DLR7884
12-31-2004, 12:22 PM
I can't believe that guy has any skin between his eyebrows!

DLR7884
Unbelievable!

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
This guy, Wayne knows his politics!

I'm not a Latino in any way, you don't know me at all.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm not a Latino in any way, you don't know me at all.

But I do:

DLR7884
12-31-2004, 12:38 PM
Sorry, Wayne, I put your cousin's pic up.

This one was yours:

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 12:43 PM
The thought of Wayne L. with a mullet is NOT that much of a stretch

DLR7884
12-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah, he sent me that pic.

DLR7884
I thought he would look kinda like that.

Big Train
12-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Posted by Nick:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does all of the money actually go through the UN? And though SOME in the UN has done some pretty horrid things (and the UN as a whole has ignored some pretty horrid things), they have a fairly good record at this sort of thing. But aid levels in proportion to our GNP, and coinsidering the fact that Spain has effectively given double the amount we pledged, isn't that a little embarrassing? Aren't disasters like this the kind of events what fans the flames of terrorism?

As I understand it, the money goes to the UN, who does whatever they want.

As far as money, if you take those numbers at face value and assume we aren't going to raise our amount (which I KNOW we will). The difference is Spain is probably offering the MAX it can right away, like most small nations, essentially saying "this is all I got". Whatever is left, you know the US is gonna pay, so there is nothing to be ashamed about except the guys stupid statement to begin with.

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 03:25 PM
But I do:

Wrong person, wrong suit.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Wrong person, wrong suit.

How about this one then?

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 04:30 PM
How about this one then?

I know it's you.

Nickdfresh
12-31-2004, 04:46 PM
I know it's you.

Wow, you really are a bore. Easier than a streetwalker, but much less interesting. You are way too stupid bumkin.

Please improve the gene pool!

Big Train
12-31-2004, 04:48 PM
How long is this bandwith draining pissing contest going to go on?

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 04:52 PM
How long is this bandwith draining pissing contest going to go on?

Wayne's one of your's, BT

Big Train
12-31-2004, 05:05 PM
One of mine? Did I sign up for a team here? Am I shirts or skins?

I don't give a fuck who's side anybody is on.

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 05:07 PM
One of mine? Did I sign up for a team here? Am I shirts or skins?

I don't give a fuck who's side anybody is on.

If you can't control your own Sheep, we're going to have to take your whistle away:D

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Wayne's one of your's, BT

I thought you were one of the sheep because you are a classified idiot.

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 06:52 PM
I thought you were one of the sheep because you are a classified idiot.

Thank you for playing "Spot the Moron"

You may now give both of your brain cells the rest of the day off.

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Thank you for playing "Spot the Moron"

You may now give both of your brain cells the rest of the day off.

When you don't have any brain cells at all that must be a problem in your useless, worthless life?

LoungeMachine
12-31-2004, 07:09 PM
When you don't have any brain cells at all that must be a problem in your useless, worthless life?

What is absolutely fascinating to me is the fact you never tire of reusing the exact same call out BACK to people.

You share the same originality as Flabby Hagar.

well done, Gump

Wayne L.
12-31-2004, 07:12 PM
What is absolutely fascinating to me is the fact you never tire of reusing the exact same call out BACK to people.

You share the same originality as Flabby Hagar.

well done, Gump

You have the same originality & the brain cells as the person who owns this site which isn't saying too much.

DrMaddVibe
12-31-2004, 09:28 PM
How about this one then?

Hey...that's liberal labia...demon cunt!

Loki
01-01-2005, 12:29 AM
open thine coffers and put thine riches where thine mouth resides, fools.

DrMaddVibe
01-01-2005, 08:59 AM
We should give as much as France does...according to Dean and his crew they're providing global leadership.

Wayne L.
01-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
We should give as much as France does...according to Dean and his crew they're providing global leadership.

Howard Dean is out of mind politically with his useless rhetoric which is why he will never become president of the U. S. & the Democrats will lose again in 08 if he's the DNC chairman.

Nickdfresh
01-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Howard Dean is out of mind politically with his useless rhetoric which is why he will never become president of the U. S. & the Democrats will lose again in 08 if he's the DNC chairman.

Thank you Wayne! You're so brilliant Shadow...or...er...Wayne L.

LoungeMachine
01-01-2005, 01:26 PM
You have the same originality & the brain cells as the person who owns this site which isn't saying too much.

Thank you for the compliment, ewe.

I'll take Sarge's contribution to this world over your's any day pissant.

You should seriously consider going back to school. It may help.

Nickdfresh
01-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Japan raises aid to $500 million
Decision follows U.S. pledge increase to $350 million
Saturday, January 1, 2005 Posted: 7:55 AM EST (1255 GMT)

TOKYO, Japan (CNN) -- Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has announced his nation would offer $500 million in grant aid for the tsunami-stricken regions of southern Asia.

Saturday's announcement makes Japan the single largest contributor in the relief efforts.

Japan had previously pledged $30 million.

The decision to raise Japan's funding level comes one day after the United States increased its aid to the region from $35 million to $350 million, which at the time was the largest contribution by a nation.

The increase followed criticism that the initial amount was far from enough. (Full story)

More than $1.5 billion has now been pledged by the international community.

Aid has begun to reach tsunami victims in remote areas of Indonesia as a United Nations official says the death toll could grow from 138,000 to 150,000. (Full story)

U.S. military helicopters Saturday dropped relief supplies into parts of Indonesia's hard-hit Aceh province virtually cut off from the rest of the world for nearly a week after a powerful earthquake and subsequent tsunamis claimed 80,000 lives in Indonesia.

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/01/01/japan.relief.pledge/index.html)

BigBadBrian
01-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Good. They have more at stake in that part of the world. They used to kill those people.

:gun:

DLR7884
01-03-2005, 10:09 AM

Is that a cheap shot at Sarge....wtf....?

DLR7884
Now you've done it.

Nickdfresh
01-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Is that a cheap shot at Sarge....wtf....?

DLR7884
Now you've done it.

Wayne L. actually admitted in an old thread (In Non DLR/VH) he's been banned from two or three (actually three or four) other sites. CAN'T WE BE #5!?