PDA

View Full Version : Powell Says It Won't End

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 02:05 PM
December 28th, 2004 1:25 pm
Insurgency in Iraq 'will not end': Powell

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US Secretary of State Colin Powell said that the insurgency in Iraq "will not end," as insurgents are determined to derail the country's democratic transition.

Powell reiterated that Iraq's January 30 elections will take place as scheduled and that the US and Iraqi forces are working to have security in place for the polls.

But, he told CBS television, "the insurgency will not end."

"These insurgents are determined to have no representative government. They want to go back to a tyranny," Powell said.

"And so the insurgency will continue and the insurgency will have to be defeated by coalition forces, but increasingly the insurgency will be defeated and brought under control, if not completely defeated, by Iraqi forces that we are building up as rapidly as we can," he added.

Powell, who spoke to several US television networks early Tuesday, said he hoped the Iraqi Islamic party, the country's main Sunni movement, would reconsider its decision to boycott the elections.

"The party that pulled out, we hope that they will review their actions and take another look at security closer to the event, and perhaps rejoin the process," he told Fox News.

The elections will "go off well" in most of the country, but the security situation in the Sunni-dominated areas needs to improve to encourage voters to turn out, Powell said.

"In the Sunni area, which is the most populated part of the country, we have an insurgency that is raging, and we will be devoting all of our coalition efforts and the efforts of Iraqi military and police forces to bring this under control so that people will feel secure and safe in coming out to vote," he told Fox.

Powell also said an audiotape attributed to Osama bin Laden shows that the Al-Qaeda chief is linked to Iraq's most wanted man, Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

He added that the CIA has yet to confirm the authenticity of the tape, which was broadcast Monday by Al-Jazeera television.

In the audiotape, the speaker recognizes Zarqawi as Al-Qaeda's leader in Iraq. The speaker also calls for a boycott of Iraq's January 30 elections.

"If it is Osama bin Laden -- and the CIA has not made a final judgment on that -- it certainly rhetorically puts them together," Powell told CNN.

"We now have two murderers, two terrorists, two thugs, talking to each other. I don't know what this rhetorical support will translate into, but we're moving right ahead toward elections on the 30th of January," Powell told Fox News.

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 02:08 PM
I hope he continues to speak his mind.

Let Team Rove try and blackball him as they've done with everyone else foolish enough to tell the truth about what this administration has got us into.

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 02:26 PM
gw got what he wanted for Christmas. perpetual warfare

DEMON CUNT
12-28-2004, 02:27 PM
This will mean nothing to the right wing imperialists who post here. Their denial is sanctioned by God!

Just like Rumsfeld's bullshit- they will down play it.

Thou Shalt Say Nothing Negative About St. Bush's Holy War!

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 02:28 PM
But even the right wing wack jobs here can't dismiss CP

or could they?

DrMaddVibe
12-28-2004, 02:29 PM
It's not going to end as long as that non-existant Al Quida link is allowed to operate inside Iraq's borders.

DEMON CUNT
12-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

or could they?

Yep, that's the one area where they continue to be consistant... Their undying support of this fake war on terror!

You know the mantras "Iraq is better off without Saddam" yadda yadda yadda!

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
It's not going to end as long as that non-existant Al Quida link is allowed to operate inside Iraq's borders.

So the "solution" is to rid the country of Al Qaeda?

How?

And isnt the majority of the "insurgents" AKA Iraqi Citizens, just former Republican Guard?

I can hear it now.....

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of Al Qaeda?

Ridding that country of people who dont want us there IS IMPOSSIBLE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

So long as we're there, there will be bombings and killings, that much we KNOW

Regardless of who we install, er, elect to run the place.

They can produce suicide bombers faster than we can produce troops

It's a war of attrition, and we'll lose eventually

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 03:09 PM
unless we kill everyone...

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
unless we kill everyone...

you'll go far in this Administration:D

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 03:40 PM
I agree 100% with Powell, and i'll take it a step further by addressing one of his comments.

("And so the insurgency will continue and the insurgency will have to be defeated by coalition forces, but increasingly the insurgency will be defeated and brought under control, if not completely defeated, by Iraqi forces that we are building up as rapidly as we can," he added.)

The above quote brings to the surface a feeling i have had for a long time now, only now, my feelings are pretty much confirmed.

I was thinking that if the roles were reversed, and we Americans were the Iraqi's, we would take to the streets and fight for our freedom against the insurgence. We wouldn't just sit back and bitch about what the liberating forces were doing wrong, we would step up and actually die for our country, just as we have done in the past.

My problem is with the lack of volunteers stepping forward in Iraq to join the fight to liberate themselves.
I get the impression that they are too scared to fight when they have been given the prime opportunity to take charge of their homeland and gurentee their own freedom.

I don't see them doing much for themselves and at the cost of our soldiers lives, it's insulting.
I propose that if they (the Iraqi's) don't start showing the world that they actually want to be free, and take a stand against the insurgency standing in the path and shut them down. we pull the fuck out and let them have their way.
Of course that also means that our soldiers that have given their lives to the cause would have died in vein, and that saddens me.

I guess what my question to the Iraqi Citizens is, "Do you want a free Iraq?, and if so, Why don't you fight for it?".

I am honestly beginning to doubt their will to be a free Nation because the numbers of Iraqi Soldiers is drastically lower than i gave them credit for, and how can we train them if they don't step forward and have a desire to stop the insurgents?

Powell is right, and unless the Iraqi's decide to take their nation back from the tyrants who wish to keep them opressed and are willing to die for the futures of their children, and their childrens children...This entire effort will have been in vein.

To me, the key to winning the war is determined on 80% more Iraqi involvement.
They are throwing away the opportunity of a lifetime, or should i say several lifetimes.

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I was thinking that if the roles were reversed, and we Americans were the Iraqi's, we would take to the streets and fight for our freedom against the insurgence. We wouldn't just sit back and bitch about what the liberating forces were doing wrong, we would step up and actually die for our country, just as we have done in the past.

My problem is with the lack of volunteers stepping forward in Iraq to join the fight to liberate themselves.
I get the impression that they are too scared to fight when they have been given the prime opportunity to take charge of their homeland and gurentee their own freedom.

Cat what you need to understand (you probably do) is that Saddam systematically murdered anyone with any sort of leadership initiative. This happened for over 25 years. That's long enough that it actually effected the gene pool. There aren't many leaders there. There are few people that understand what true leadership qualities are. All leaders were eradicated. That's one of the main reasons why this is so challenging. The real good ones were wiped out 20 years ago.

Cathedral
12-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I do understand that.
What i don't understand is the citizens innability to see that we are there, entrenched in battle for their cause, and that NOW is the time for them to band together and take control of their country.

We cannot leave at this point, so i really don't understand their hesitation to take a more proactive role in their futures.
The Gulf War and Bush Sr. pulling out has a lot to do with it after so many were slaughtered for uprising.
I see it as a trust issue, and rightfully so, but dammit, I think we have proven to them that we are there for the long haul this time around.

To quote Arnold Schwarzenegger "Take my hand if you want to live" lol.

BigBadBrian
12-28-2004, 03:52 PM
I think the liberals on this board need to re-read this article and re-comment. They are way off base here. Colin Powell is exactly correct but the libs are giddy for the wrong reasons...as usual. Smarter monkeys please.....

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
12-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I think the liberals on this board need to re-read this article and re-comment. They are way off base here. Colin Powell is exactly correct but the libs are giddy for the wrong reasons...as usual. Smarter monkeys please.....

I get it without you spoon feeding it to me.

condescention = the tool of the right:mad:

BigBadBrian
12-28-2004, 03:59 PM
I get it without you spoon feeding it to me.

condescention = the tool of the right:mad:

I'll let it stew about in your mind for awhile. It may hit you. Think Insurgency, Timeline, and Elections.

This war is not about land. It's about time.

Nickdfresh
12-28-2004, 06:46 PM

or could they?

Lemme guess...Like Richard Clark, Gen. Shinseki, ex-Sec. of the Army Paul White, Powell will have an agenda to settle scores with the administration for being "forced out." The Karl Rovian (Dubya's little "turd blossom") way of doing things.

But the increasing discord by congressional Republicans such as John McCain will be impossible to ignore in the coming months.

Nickdfresh
12-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
II was thinking that if the roles were reversed, and we Americans were the Iraqi's, we would take to the streets and fight for our freedom against the insurgence. We wouldn't just sit back and bitch about what the liberating forces were doing wrong, we would step up and actually die for our country, just as we have done in the past....I don't see them doing much for themselves and at the cost of our soldiers lives, it's insulting.
I propose that if they (the Iraqi's) don't start showing the world that they actually want to be free, and take a stand against the insurgency standing in the path and shut them down. we pull the fuck out and let them have their way.
Of course that also means that our soldiers that have given their lives to the cause would have died in vein, and that saddens me.

I guess what my question to the Iraqi Citizens is, "Do you want a free Iraq?, and if so, Why don't you fight for it?".

I am honestly beginning to doubt their will to be a free Nation because the numbers of Iraqi Soldiers is drastically lower than i gave them credit for, and how can we train them if they don't step forward and have a desire to stop the insurgents?

Powell is right, and unless the Iraqi's decide to take their nation back from the tyrants who wish to keep them opressed and are willing to die for the futures of their children, and their childrens children...This entire effort will have been in vein.

To me, the key to winning the war is determined on 80% more Iraqi involvement.
They are throwing away the opportunity of a lifetime, or should i say several lifetimes.

Did you notice how the insurgents attack the Iraqi "security forces" first. Bus loads of these guys are being summarily executed, and intelligence is drying up because people will not cooperate with the "coalition" for fear of being labeled a "collaborator." That's why we are having difficulty finding viable recruits for the "security forces" that have been infiltrated by the insurgents.

"Freedom" doesn't mean much to the dead.

DEMON CUNT
12-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I'll let it stew about in your mind for awhile. It may hit you. Think Insurgency, Timeline, and Elections.

This war is not about land. It's about time.

Think bullshit, bullshit, more bullshit.

This war is not about land. It's about the chaos caused by our illegal and inept invasion. We destroyed their government, their army, their police force. Chaos erupts when there is no order. Factions begin to fight not only each other, but the occuping force as well.

ODShowtime
12-28-2004, 11:15 PM
two excellent replies gentlemen. there are so many obvious fuck-ups. rattling them off sounds cheap, but they're all important.

how about recruiting troops and police? who's a double agent? how the hell can we tell? background checks? hello gw? they fucking kidnap people's families to blackmail them into suicide missions. we are up against a truly evil foe or set of foes.

LoungeMachine
03-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Savicki Inspired Bump!!!