PDA

View Full Version : Warner won't be backup

Island Boy
12-30-2004, 12:09 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2504522

Warner on lookout for starting spot with new team; Testaverde might be open to role as backup quarterback

BY NEIL BEST
STAFF WRITER

December 30, 2004

In 1998, Vinny Testaverde was the highest-rated quarterback in the AFC, coming out of nowhere to lead the Jets to the conference title game after inheriting the job because of an injury.

In 1999, Kurt Warner was the highest-rated quarterback in the NFL, coming out of nowhere to lead the Rams to a Super Bowl title after inheriting the job because of an injury.

Each has had his ups and downs since, and Sunday, each will face a career crossroads at Giants Stadium.

For Warner, it surely will be his last game as a Giant, and he hopes it will be his last as a backup in any uniform. He reiterated yesterday that at age 33 and after a 5-4 record this season, he believes he still is starting-caliber and has no interest in teams that won't give him that chance.

That means there is no possibility he will be a Giant, an option he was granted when he signed his two-year deal in which the second season was designed to void.

Asked whether there is any scenario in which he could envision backing up Eli Manning again, he said there was not. "I'm not going to be content right now in my career, where I am and what I believe I can do, being a backup next year, that's just the bottom line," he said. "It's nothing against the Giants, nothing against the situation, the coaches, anybody. I've loved my year here. But I'm not content being a backup."

Many players agreed with coach Tom Coughlin at the time he made the switch to Manning that though the offense's problems were not entirely Warner's fault, the rookie might provide a spark. That did not happen, and six losses later, the move is ripe for second-guessing. Warner's passer rating is 86.5, higher than any Giants starter since Phil Simms in 1993 and 38.4 higher than Manning's.

Warner has not gloated and has been supportive of Manning. But he believes he proved something to those who wondered whether he was through.

It is unclear what kind of market value Warner has and where he might land. It likely will require a team with an unsettled quarterback situation where he can compete for a starting job without being handed one, perhaps the Cardinals, Dolphins or even the Cowboys.

At 41, Testaverde figures to have fewer options, but unlike Warner, he is playing now and will start for the Cowboys near his hometown of Elmont. It would be an appropriate venue if this proves to be his final game, which is a possibility. But unlike Warner, Testaverde would be open to being a backup in 2005 under the right circumstances. Coach Bill Parcells said he would be open to having him back.

Hey, wait: The Giants will be looking for a backup for Manning. Hmmm.

"The thing I always look at is, am I healthy? Am I having fun? Am I able to contribute to the team in whatever capacity they're asking me to?" Testaverde said. "Those are the things I will have to answer when the season is over."

He will face a fellow No. 1 draft pick in Manning. When the Buccaneers chose Testaverde in 1987, Manning was 6 years old. Testaverde went 0-4 as a rookie. Manning is 0-6.

Has Testaverde pondered that this might be the end of the line? "I try not to think about that and I really haven't," he said. "Not many guys get to walk away when they want to and I'm in a position to do that. A lot of guys are injured or their abilities diminish drastically from one year to the next and they are released or cut. I've been fortunate."

Notes & quotes: The Giants have 15 players on their injury list, including G Greg Walker (knee), who became their 17th player on injured reserve. WR Mark Jones, G Chris Snee and S Gibril Wilson are out. OL Brandon Winey is doubtful. DT Kenderick Allen, DE Lance Legree, DE Raheem Orr, WR Willie Ponder, DT Fred Robbins, TE Jeremy Shockey, WR Jamaar Taylor, WR Amani Toomer and G Jason Whittle are questionable. Only Orr and Taylor practiced. LB Reggie Torbor left with the flu but is probable ... The Cowboys have one player on their list: FB Richie Anderson, who went on IR.

I just cant belive he or anyone else thinks that he is gonna be a starter in this league again. :confused:

He is a great guy ans I hope I eat my words, but I dont think it will happen!!!!

DLR7884
12-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Me neither.

DLR7884
Warner hasn't been the same since those injuries a few years ago.

ALinChainz
12-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Miami, SF, Dallas, and Arizona all will have to have a QB in my mind and he could probably be their starter without much problem.

He'll find someone in need.

But I agree, ever since the hand injuries, he has not been the same player, not even close.

Island Boy
12-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Miami, SF, Dallas, and Arizona all will have to have a QB in my mind and he could probably be their starter without much problem.

He'll find someone in need.

But I agree, ever since the hand injuries, he has not been the same player, not even close.

SF would be better with Richard Simmons at QB!!!!!!!

LOL

Va Beach VH Fan
12-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Kurt Warner is a better QB than a handful of no-loads that are starting in the NFL right now.....

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 02:34 PM
?????

Well...normally...I'd disagree...but there are a couple of jobs...Cleveland...Dallas (Warner and Teste aren't that different at this stage)...Arizona...although McCown is rollin' now...

Miami...maybe SF...

I just don't see him starting anywhere...

Brett
12-30-2004, 02:39 PM
He won't be a backup? Well Kurt, you won't be playing anymore then I guess, because you're 33 going on 40.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 02:50 PM
And is wife is 40 going on a senile old man looking 80 year old...

beat up piece of trash...lmfao...

ALinChainz
12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
The wife is probably the one nagging him to keep playing.

Should have enough cash to retire comfy you would think.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Not when your wife is a money grubbing whore who can't keep her ugly ass pug face shut...

fucking white trash bitch...

tjvhou812
12-30-2004, 03:18 PM
i think warner would fit in good over in dallas

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 03:21 PM
I know that Parcells has a vision of who the QB should be...which is why he's sticking with Testeverde...I don't think he likes Henson...or whoever the fuck else they have...

I just can't see it being Warner...but we'll see...

I think you'll see Dallas get someone though...

ALinChainz
12-30-2004, 03:52 PM
Vinny is 41, and he isn't Warren Moon.

They have to find someone, even with Jones coming out last week stating that Vinny may be back at QB for them in '05.

Henson hasn't had enough time to determine whether he is their future or not, but they shouldn't wait til the last minute either.

They won't have parcells much longer than next season anyway.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 04:07 PM
If they have him for next season that is...

he's started hedging again...

Brett
12-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

She is a nasty butch dyke-looking hag yes.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Do you think Kurt goes home every night from work going..."Oh Fuck..."

Brett
12-30-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm sure he wishes he was single, or least free to get the trophy wife, not the ugly bitch whore he married probably while he was making $300 a year playing for the Iowa Barnstromers.

ALinChainz
12-30-2004, 05:12 PM
And with all the religious stuff he apparently preaches to anyone who will listen, would look bad to have the hottie on the side so you could maybe at least stand going home to her once in awhile.

She had to look better at one time or another.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Doubtful...

Brett
12-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Yes with the lights off and the bag over her head, I'm sure she looked way better then.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:18 PM
And Brett...he was making $5.25 shelving bread at Piggly Wiggly...;)

ALinChainz
12-30-2004, 05:18 PM
I bet her parents had money ... he married her and tried forever to get into pro football, she supported him.

Now it's payback time ... in spades.

Va Beach VH Fan
12-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

I think you have a thing for her, as much as you talk about her....

Call it the "Mona syndrome"....

:D

Brett
12-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Doesn't she have a blind kid, or a deaf kid or something? Or he's retarded....something like that.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Yeah...he's fucked...couldn't leave her if he wanted...He'd have to give her the bank...not like he isn't doing that already...

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:24 PM
I think he's blind, deaf and retarded...

of course...Warner married her...so we could say the same about him...

Brett
12-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Oh yeah she'd get half his shit, I seriously doubt he had a prenup for the Piggly Wiggly pension plan he had at the time.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Is there a woman as hated as Warner's wife in professional sports?

Brett
12-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Probably not, but here in LA, Glen Rice's wife was pretty annoying a few years back, when she bitched on TV and on the radio that her husband wasn't allowed to score enough.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:40 PM
LMFAO...I remember that shit...

Rice had to just be shaking his head...

Brett
12-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Dude averaged 16 points on a team with Shaq and Kobe. Stupid bitch, I bet now in hindsight she sees that nobody ever averaged more than 13 as the third wheel during the Phil years.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:50 PM
I can't fathom she thought he should have been more than a third wheel...you have to appreciate women bitching about a team that was set to win three in a row...

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Glen Rice...there's a name that just doesn't register on many people's radars...

Brett
12-30-2004, 05:54 PM
I think he's out of the league now, dude just couldn't shoot and couldn't say healthy anymore. Good call by his wife.

POJO_Risin
12-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah...he's out of the league...had some good years with Charlotte as well...

redblkwht
12-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Brett
Oh yeah she'd get half his shit, I seriously doubt he had a prenup for the Piggly Wiggly pension plan he had at the time.
LMMFAO, damn that was funny..gotta give you a vote on that..
dude you gotta join our football league..imagine the shit talk
you bring too..

redblkwht
12-31-2004, 12:19 AM
she does look like a mix breed of Glen Close & a doberman..
Kurt Warner will never get what he wants, he will retire watch-
NO WAY 1st string.

Sarge
12-31-2004, 12:23 AM
I am glad someone mentioned his wife..
I don't like the guy because of her...

She looks like Howie Long!

Joe Mannix
12-31-2004, 12:41 AM
She should be the next Alpo spokesman.
perfect fit, IMO

DLR7884
12-31-2004, 08:43 AM
Kurt Warner's wife looks like Cloris Leachman when she became the new Mrs. Garrett on The Facts Of Life....

I can't remember her name now.

DLR&884
Either way, Cloris Leachman was hotter, and probably still is