PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Blake cut by the Cards

Polk High
02-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Blake released after subpar year

By MEL REISNER, AP Sports Writer
February 4, 2004
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green released Jeff Blake on Wednesday, saying Josh McCown showed in three starts at the end of last season that he was the team's quarterback of the future.

Green refused to discuss Blake's shortcomings and said the decision had more to do with McCown's potential.

``It's about Josh being ready in his third year to be the starting quarterback,'' Green said. ``I think that when you draft a player, you expect that player to play. Some play the first year, some play the second year. They better start playing by the third year.''

ADVERTISEMENT

The switch will have no bearing on whether the Cardinals draft a quarterback in April, when they will have the No. 3 pick overall, Green said.

``You don't try to outsmart yourself. You take the best player on the board, because you're always going to get a great player.'' Green said. ``Whether that player is a quarterback or not is irrelevant; you can never have too many good players. And no matter who comes in -- whether it's an eight-year veteran or a 22-year-old rookie -- Josh McCown knows that they want his job.''

But Green reiterated that any newcomer would arrive as McCown's backup.

Green had offensive coordinator Alex Wood deliver the news to Blake and said he had no idea whether the development surprised the 12-year veteran.

``I'm sure if a player really wanted to be here he'd hope that it would work out,'' Green said. ``But we have to be realistic. The first thing I said when I stood up here is that we will always take a realistic look at our talent and the decision we have to make according to that talent. We also said we think we have the talent on this team to be good, but we're going to have to really work to bring it out of them.''

Blake's number is unlisted, and Ralph Cindrich, his agent, did not return phone calls seeking comment.

The waiver was Green's first major player move since he replaced Dave McGinnis on Jan. 7.

Blake signed a $7.5 million, three-year contract, including a $1.5 million signing bonus, last March 12. The move saved the team $3 million over the next two years -- $2 million in salary each of the next two years, offset by $500,000 a year that Blake's bonus will count against the salary cap.

Blake arrived as the intended replacement for Jake Plummer, who left for Denver.

But McGinnis benched Blake at halftime on Dec. 7, after San Francisco took a 34-0 lead on the way to a 50-14 win, and McCown started the last three games.

Blake completed 208 of 367 passes for 2,247 yards, 13 TDs and 15 interceptions -- throwing more pickoffs than scores for the first time in his career. He also ran for 177 yards and two TDs on 30 carries.

Blake spent 1992-93 with the New York Jets and also played for Cincinnati (1994-99), New Orleans (2000-01) and Baltimore (2002).

Polk High
02-04-2004, 10:07 PM
some people just get cut no matter where they are

Gmoney
02-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Still not a bad deal for Blake, collected a few million for one year. Let's just hope he didn't blow it all on blow and hookers!!

ALinChainz
02-05-2004, 01:51 PM
You still have to wonder if Denny Green will go quarterback with the number 3 pick or maybe Larry Fitzgerald.

Not sure if they really need another wideout with Boldin and Johnson, but Fitz may be too hard to pass up.

I'm not sold on McCown as their QB, so I still say if Manning is there, or Rivers maybe, they should go that route.

Troy
02-05-2004, 06:43 PM
He was a mediocre at best QB. He only really had two good seasons and they were the only two he played the entire year...

Jeff Blake stats (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BlakJe00.htm)

Why does he think he's so great??? Who has he made famous in the WR dept. Carl Pickens? He has this big chip on his shoulder. He should be thankful he still is offered a job.

ALinChainz
02-05-2004, 07:31 PM
And Arizona was the only starting gig he was going to find last season. He's a back up for everyone else this upcoming I think.

azcrdnal
02-05-2004, 07:45 PM
im glad blake is gone him and plummer are the same person.

Gmoney
02-05-2004, 07:56 PM
If you couldn't be the starter with the mighty Bengals, that should have been the first clue that he sucked.

DLR7884
02-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Except Jeff Blake is black and went to East Carolina, Plummer is a honkey and went to Arizona.

DLR7884
They will be drafting a new QB this year, McCown isn't the future.

ALinChainz
02-06-2004, 11:35 AM
They should have their choice of the top QBs available too. Or will Denny Green think Fitzgerald is the next Randy Moss and go with him.

I agree, they should go QB definitely.

KANE
02-07-2004, 04:05 PM
IBlake is a spring training QB, always looks good in camp but hurls chunks during the season, none of us out here in AZ, really give a fuck about the Cards, as long as bidwell owns them, they will suck shit,period.

Polk High
02-07-2004, 11:07 PM
i'm glad he's gone also, he had a bad year and never really helped out much

Va Beach VH Fan
02-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
You still have to wonder if Denny Green will go quarterback with the number 3 pick or maybe Larry Fitzgerald.

Larry'll be gone bro...

The Raydahs are gonna grab him at #2......