PDA

View Full Version : Tino Back with the Yanks

POJO_Risin
12-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Torre wanted Giambi...his first mistake...

Tino was the heart of the team....

but he's back...a 1 year...3 million dollar deal...and he's willing to "play any role with the team that they want me too..."

It could be full time duty if Giambi's contract is voided...

It could be part time duty and DH if Giambi's contract isn't voided...

it could be platooning with Bernie at DH and Giambi at First if Beltran is signed...

whatever the case...this move is bad news for the AL...maybe more than RJ...because he brings something to the dugout...

the old Yankee swagger...

we'll see what happens with Giambi...

ALinChainz
12-31-2004, 02:19 PM
I don't see Giambi being back.

Good signing for the Yanks. They already know what they're getting.

Figs
12-31-2004, 02:25 PM
Tino came into a tough spot replacing Mattingly, but did a great job. Even when his regular season numbers started faltering he was always good in the post season. Who the hell knows if you'll ever see Giambi in pinstripes again. I don't think the union will let the contract be voided; besides the Yanks knew the risk when signing him, was this year's revelation a surprise to anyone?

POJO_Risin
12-31-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't think it was part of the equation in 2001...I really don't...the rumors hadn't started yet...

I agree...I think Giambi will still have that deal...the question is...will NY keep him...

They could just eat that contract...or try and deal him for a prospect or two...who knows...

Figs
12-31-2004, 02:54 PM
It will be tough to keep him from a PR standpoint. But if they're stuck with him for $80+ million, they might have to throw him out there to show whether or not he has any trade value left. Even then they'll have to swallow a large majority of that $80+ million anyway.

POJO_Risin
12-31-2004, 02:57 PM
If they play him...and he proves worth...they'll keep him...IMO...

If they truly want to be rid of him...they'll find a way...that deal has to have a buy out...a big one...but a buy out...

ALinChainz
12-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Seems like the story with the Yanks. Got to pay to cash to buy, sell, or trade with them.

ALinChainz
12-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Wonder if he'll start getting the roid chants like Canseco used too ... when he would step out of the box and flex an arm or some shit.

POJO_Risin
12-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Imagine if he and Sheffield are on the field together in ANY park outside of Yankee Stadium...

imagine Boston...;)

Figs
12-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Wonder if he'll start getting the roid chants like Canseco used too ... when he would step out of the box and flex an arm or some shit.

Absolutely, especially in Boston, or NY after a trade...

Va Beach VH Fan
12-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Good signing....

Tino's getting a little long in the tooth, but a good temporary fit....

POJO_Risin
12-31-2004, 04:20 PM
He had decent stats last year...similar to his last year in NY...

.270...around 20 dingers...60 or 70 ribbies...and I know it wasn't full time duty...

POJO_Risin
12-31-2004, 04:20 PM
lmfao...I'm just guessing to be honest...I think that's what I remember...

Bob_R
12-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Very good pickup getting Tino back.

Wright, Pavano, Johnson, Martinez. Pretty good acquistions. Gave up alot for RJ. But, you have to give to get.

Beltran's next.

Island Boy
12-31-2004, 09:40 PM
Tino is the man and never should have left!!!!!:baaa:

And whoever gets Giambi........be it us or someone else, I still think there gonna get a decnt ballplayer. Definatly not his old self, but he will be solid.