PDA

View Full Version : the comedian's comedian

flappo
01-02-2005, 06:24 AM
Peter Cook voted comics' favourite

7.51AM, Sun Jan 2 2005

Peter Cook has come out on top in a vote by comedians to find the greatest funnyman of all time.

More than 300 comedians, comedy writers, producers and directors on both sides of the Atlantic were asked to rank the biggest names in comedy. (Pic: Granada Ventures Ltd)

Cook was named the world's most talented comedian, followed by Fawlty Towers and Monty Python star John Cleese in second place, American filmmaker Woody Allen and the late Eric Morecambe.

The list of 50 top comedians, compiled for the Channel 4 show The Comedians' Comedian, is dominated by British talent.

Tommy Cooper, who died after collapsing on stage in 1984, is sixth in the list, Scottish stand-up Billy Connolly eighth and double act Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer ninth.

Today's top-rated British comedians include Steve Coogan (17), cross-dresser Eddie Izzard (19), Have I Got News for You? star Paul Merton (20), Phoenix Nights creator and star Peter Kay (22) and Blackadder creator Rowan Atkinson (24).

At 26th in the list, Harry Hill, the doctor turned comedian famous for TV Burp, has been voted funnier than Monty Python star Michael Palin (30), The Young Ones star Rik Mayall (34) and British wit Stephen Fry (39).

The talent behind The Office, Ricky Gervais, is also in the top 50 list, although at 49th he ranks below more established stars.

Women have fared less well - the highest ranking female is Victoria Wood at 27, followed by French and Saunders at 31.

The only other females in the top 50 are US star of the barbed one-liners Joan Rivers, at 40, followed by the late British comedienne Joyce Grenfell, who appeared as Sgt Ruby Gates in the St Trinian's films.

Although Cook is voted number one, his comedy partner Dudley Moore is absent from the top 50.

Cook's partnership with Moore in the Not Only...But Also TV shows made the pair one of the funniest double acts of all time.

Tributes to Cook included Canadian Austin Powers star Mike Myers, who was voted 48th in the list, and said of the late British comedian: "I didn't know dirty words could be done that artfully."

Arthur Smith said: "He had talent oozing out of him and he hardly had to exert himself as he was so brilliantly funny.

"He influenced a whole generation of people - even now he's spoken of in terms of awe."

The 50 top comedians:

1. Peter Cook

2. John Cleese

3. Woody Allen

4. Eric Morecambe

5. Groucho Marx

6. Tommy Cooper

7. Laurel and Hardy

8. Billy Connolly

9. Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer

10. Richard Pryor

11. Chris Morris

12. Tony Hancock

13. Bill Hicks

14. Peter Sellers

15. Steve Martin

16. Ronnie Barker

17. Steve Coogan

18. Charlie Chaplin

19. Eddie Izzard

20. Paul Merton

21. Eric Idle

22. Peter Kay

23. Larry David

24. Rowan Atkinson

25. Bob Hope

26. Harry Hill

27. Victoria Wood

28. Spike Milligan

29. Christopher Guest

30. Michael Palin

31. French and Saunders

32. Eddie Murphy

33. Bob Monkhouse

34. Rik Mayall

35. Steven Wright

36. Ken Dodd

37. Les Dawson

38. Chic Murray

39. Stephen Fry

40. Joan Rivers

41. Joyce Grenfell

42. Phil Silvers

43. Jackie Mason

44. Eric Sykes

45. Robin Williams

46. Paul Whitehouse

47. Bill Cosby

48. Mike Myers

49. Ricky Gervais

50. Mel Brooks.

ashstralia
01-02-2005, 06:59 AM
where's benny hill?:D

scottydabodi
01-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Can you say GEORGE FUCKING CARLIN?!??! Who the fuck wrote this list, Einstein and Darwin????? Bullfuckingshit.

LoungeMachine
01-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
Can you say GEORGE FUCKING CARLIN?!??! Who the fuck wrote this list, Einstein ?.

Hey, I had nothing to do with this.

Fucking Brits wouldnt know comedy if it bit them on their arse.

LoungeMachine
01-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Where's Lenny Bruce?

No Lenny?, no George?

lame

scottydabodi
01-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Where's Lenny Bruce?

No Lenny?, no George?

lame

Dude, no Kinison either... FOR SHAME!!

LoungeMachine
01-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
Dude, no Kinison either... FOR SHAME!!

Robert Klein

Hell Roseanne for that matter was funnier than half that fucking list.

:rolleyes:

I'm funnier than half that list:D

What's in Flappo's pants is funnier than half that list:p

Dan
01-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by ashstralia
where's benny hill?:D

No Benny Hill WTF?

DEMON CUNT
01-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Bill Hicks is/was GOD! My all time fave!

No David Cross? Educate yerselves: http://www.subpop.com/scripts/main/bands_page.php?id=407

The Derek and Clive shit is fucking funny. "One day this bloke came up to me and called me a cunt..."