PDA

View Full Version : Metal records that changed your life

Wa Wa Zat
01-04-2005, 01:40 PM
I was young and innocent(sophomore in High School) and then a friend at school asked me if I would tape some records for him on my Montgomery Wards lp/tape/radio/stereo combo(my first stereo)sniff:

Metallica - Kill 'Em All - I had never heard anything like this before and I was completely blown away.........I would be a big fan of this band until Cliff left us. I can finally listen to ...And Justice... anything after ...Justice... SUCKS!!! Lousy Sell Outs!!!

Mercyful Fate - Melissa - Loved the music but I never dug the vocals. recently rebought this and cannot figure out why I didn't like it.

Raven - Break The Chain ep - two great songs with a silly cover of Born To Be Wild w/Udo. I ended up getting the Live At the Inferno album,which completely ROCKED!!! and then eagerly awaited the new studio/major label debut record........and it SUCKED!!

Armored Saint - EP - Three cool tunes, but I never got heavily into them, but I always dug them

Honorable mention:

Spinal Tap - Heard this and became a huge fan of this album and its humor

It would lead down the path to Thrash, Technical, Shred and just plain ol' Metal........I was never the same.

Golden AWe
01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
The Unholy Six = the first six albums from Black Sabbath changed my life and attitude towards music...

Other very important albums have been

Sepultura - "Chaos A.D." - easily their best album.

Megadeth - "Peace sells, who's buying" and "Countdown to..." made me a fan of the band...they play sooo tight.

Opeth - I haven't really find a weak album from their whole catalogue yet.

Anthrax - "Among the living" and "Sound of a white noise", different era's, still full of marvellous stuff.

Carmine
01-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Well the first is Van Halen....8 years old when I first heard that album, I couldnt believe it!

The next would be Ride the lightning, I only bought it cuz they were opening for Ozzy on the Puppets tour and I wanted to hear them before I went. Fight Fire with Fire and For Whom The Bells Toll sent ME down the road to Metal Awareness like no other!

Anthrax "Spreading the Disease" it was the first album Joe Belladonna sang on....he's my bud, lives in my hometown!

Wa Wa Zat
01-04-2005, 02:00 PM
No Way Dude!!!(sorry had to go there)

That was my first Metal concert! I saw them at the Cow Palace in SF when I lived in San Jose with me folks.

It Rocked!!!!

Carmine
01-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Wa Wa Zat
No Way Dude!!!(sorry had to go there)

That was my first Metal concert! I saw them at the Cow Palace in SF when I lived in San Jose with me folks.

It Rocked!!!!

Yep, his real last name is Bellardini. He was a kickass hockey goalie too! His parents still live in Oswego, NY....Joe built them a big new house, right next to their old one! And one for himself next to that. He's a great guy...in Florida I think? After the band "Belladonna" went bust, there was some talk of an Anthrax reunion, but I have not heard anything in a while.

guwapo_rocker
01-04-2005, 02:28 PM
The Difranco Family.:D

fe_lung
01-04-2005, 02:48 PM
For me it was a little known record called Van Halen I - I doubt anyones ever heard of it, but it had a song called Ain't Talkin' Bout Love which made me want to learn to play guitar.

Then I heard The Sex Pistols and realized that I really could play guitar if I wanted to, even if I wasn't as good as EVH.....

aesop
01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Fair Warning...no doubt. I could write a book about it, actually...

...a close second would be 'Back in Black'. I've still never heard an album with such raw uninhibited power...like a heavy metal jack hammer to the brian...unrelenting, unyielding, unforgiving, unapoligetic...with the lyrical content to back it up...

...and Angus's guitar playing is like a big, fat, blues-laden heavy metal middle finger aimed right at you.

Big Troubles
01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Van Halen I

Motley Crue- Too fast for Love

Led Zep- Houses of the Holy

AcDc- Hwy To Hell

PHOENIX
01-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Van Halen I

Motley Crue- Too fast for Love

Led Zep- Houses of the Holy

AcDc- Hwy To Hell

Hey BT long time no see.

The albums that affected me were...

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil ( This got me hooked on Heavy Metal)

Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time ( I played that cassette to death in my walkman and helped me get through early high school)

Metallica - Kill Em All ( I totally flipped out when i heard this, Started hanging around the bad crowds and smoking dope)

GnR - Appetite ( soundtrack of my youth)

The Tragically Hip - Any album ( Had something in common with my future wife and helped me mellow out)

sambo
01-04-2005, 08:56 PM
AC / DC - Back In Black and Highway to Hell ... still has the same effect on me now, such huge albums
Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz ... who the bloody hell was this Randy Rhoads dude????
VH - VH1 .... like nothing else before them..
Motley Crue (SATD) and GnR in the mid / late 80's....

Rikk
01-04-2005, 09:12 PM
BUDGIE - Never Turn Your Back On a Friend
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf900/f967/f96761xo5ff.jpg

SUICIDAL TENDENCIES - Suicidal Tendencies
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc500/c539/c5392495284.jpg

JUDAS PRIEST - Hell Bent For Leather (Killing Machine)
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc300/c313/c31333ai77o.jpg

BLACK SABBATH - Sabotage
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf500/f594/f59485vkqt9.jpg

DOLLY PARTON - Bubbling Over (this one is a real riffage-heavy masterpiece)
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf200/f286/f28623ykj5n.jpg

rustoffa
01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
The first Van Halen record flabbergasted the best of the best regarding all manner of rock genres when it was released.

I never considered classic VH "metal".

The dynamics of classic VH is best described as Van Halen....

You know, Runnin' with the ice cream devil.....

Dancin' the night away under lit-up skies with beautiful girls while dirty-faced kids wait in garbage cans,etc.

...back to metal.

Probably Priest, Maiden, or The Plasmatics.

sambo
01-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
The first Van Halen record flabbergasted the best of the best regarding all manner of rock genres when it was released.

I never considered classic VH "metal".

Will agree... VH were not metal in the true sense of the word, but life changing certainly... the opening to RWTD was certainly a turning point.

back to metal.....

lms2
01-04-2005, 10:19 PM
oh never mind.

rustoffa
01-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by sambo
life changing certainly... the opening to RWTD was certainly a turning point.

Couldn't agree more.

Vivian Campbell
01-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Holy Diver by DIO. I wasn't into music that much, but when I first heard the opening riff from Viv Campbell on "Rainbow in the Dark" combined with Dio's amazing voice - I was hooked. On that day I become a Rock fan. If it wasn't for Dio, I would have never ended up being the hardcore Dave/Eddie fan that I am today.

aesop
01-04-2005, 11:39 PM
I would also like to add Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche. Thinking Man's metal...That album raised the bar so high for QR and 'concept albums' that they never fully recovered...

Matt White
01-04-2005, 11:48 PM
MASTER OF PUPPETS

The single GREATEST recording in history, (In my humble opinion!:)).

scottydabodi
01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Metal that changed life as we know it...

Shit... too many to mention... how about Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast".

Golden AWe
01-05-2005, 10:54 AM
How can anybody Motley Crue "metal/heavy metal"?

Big Troubles
01-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Hey BT long time no see.

The albums that affected me were...

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil ( This got me hooked on Heavy Metal)

Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time ( I played that cassette to death in my walkman and helped me get through early high school)

Metallica - Kill Em All ( I totally flipped out when i heard this, Started hanging around the bad crowds and smoking dope)

GnR - Appetite ( soundtrack of my youth)

The Tragically Hip - Any album ( Had something in common with my future wife and helped me mellow out)

Crue's SATD was a true work of art. Total kick ass. Yeah, I totally agree with Iron Maiden as well. But for me, it was # of the Beast/ Run to the Hills. I still haven't given Mettalica a solid listening chance YET. GnR's only kick ass album was Appetite (IMO). Never liked the Hip, except for New Orleans...

Ever listen to Possum Dixon, Jesus & Mary Chain or 999? Wow, that's kinda the whole Rock n Roll spectrum! :D Throw in the Sex Pistols and we have ourselves a serious drink here!

Big Troubles
01-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
How can anybody Motley Crue "metal/heavy metal"?

well, the definition of "metal" varies from person to person. Alternative today is different than what it was in the 90's and seriously far from the underground 70's and 80's. I dont know how many times Ive cringed when Ive heard someone refer to Pearl Jam as "alternative". Ugh! Crue from early 80's up until Theatre of Pain, was "metal" to me. Afetr that it became arena rock.

PHOENIX
01-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Crue's SATD was a true work of art. Total kick ass. Yeah, I totally agree with Iron Maiden as well. But for me, it was # of the Beast/ Run to the Hills. I still haven't given Mettalica a solid listening chance YET. GnR's only kick ass album was Appetite (IMO). Never liked the Hip, except for New Orleans...

Ever listen to Possum Dixon, Jesus & Mary Chain or 999? Wow, that's kinda the whole Rock n Roll spectrum! :D Throw in the Sex Pistols and we have ourselves a serious drink here!

I recently got into the Pistols.

So lets have a drink anyways.:D

rustoffa
01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
"Nu Metal".....

Now this genre escapes me.... have yet to fully understand the cuntcept.

Some of the stuff the kids are doing is good....I just have no idea who most of them are...just one bombastic version after another.

Like, "Korn" impressed me as a poor, snot-nosed, warm-up suit version of "Faith No More", and then someone refers to it as "nu metal".

Maybe it's time to parole Varg Vikernes.

Rikk
01-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
I recently got into the Pistols.

So lets have a drink anyways.:D

Then you and BT have good taste.:)

The PISTOLS are amazing. I have their box set. You should also check out their amazing 2000 documentary on DVD, THE FILTH AND THE FURY. It's one of the all-time great rock 'n' roll movies.

Panamark
01-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Ah ! Good to see some support for the Pistols !

-Never mind the Bollocks (Pistols)
-AC/DC up to Back in Black.
-Angels (Oz band) up to No Secrets
-Rose Tatoo (All)
-Blizzard of Ozz
-Diary of a Madman (Ozzy)
-Screaming for Vengeance (Priest)
-British Steel (Priest)
-Defenders of the Faith (Priest)
-Led Zep 4
-All the original Sabbath
-All the original Halen
-All Metallica up to Black
-Megadeth "Peace Sells and Countdown"
-Anthrax "Spreading the Disease, among the Living"
-Maiden "Number of the Beast"
-Shout at the Devil (Crue)
-Holy Diver (DIO)
-Savatage -Hall of the Mountain King
-Metal Church Metal Church
-Operation Mindcrime Queensryche...
-WASP's first album :)
-Sweet (All their albums)
-Slade (All their albums)
-Baby Animals - Baby Animals
-Kiss Hotter than Hell, Destroyer, Live II

Man !! Theres a lot when you look back..

Rikk
01-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Damn, you got good taste, MARK.

I have to admit, I'm more of a punk fan than metal fan. That said, SABBATH, PRIEST and other groups are among my very favorites!!

I never really considered VAN HALEN metal.

The SEX PISTOLS are incredible. I would consider PRETTY VACANT, E.M.I., GOD SAVE THE QUEEN, PROBLEMS and SUB-MISSION among the greatest songs ever recorded. The sad thing is that while this album has all the vitality of the debut VH album, it was never followed up!! It's ludicrous. This is a classic album that was dying for a follow-up. VAN HALEN fans consider themselves short-changed with only six classic albums. Imagine how PISTOLS fans feel with only one real album plus a few b-sides and odd tracks on compilations like THE GREAT ROCK 'N' ROLL SWINDLE!! Anyway, the PISTOLS are among my very favorite groups.

Panamark
01-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Well we almost got a second album from the pistols

- Rock and Roll Swindle
- Silly Thing
- Lonely Boy
- Belsen was a gas
- Ronnie Biggs was doin time, till he done a bunk ! (What was that called ) ???
- No Lip Child
- C'mon Everybody (Sid)
- My Way (Sid)
- Something Else (Sid)
- Stepping Stone (Cover)
- Road Runner (Cover)
- Substitute (Cover)

Im sure theres a couple more too.....

Rikk
01-06-2005, 03:05 AM
Ever heard the b-sides DID YOU NO WRONG or SATELLITE? DID YOU NO WRONG is especially amazing. It's as good as anything on the BOLLOCKS album. Amazing track.

Panamark
01-06-2005, 03:23 AM
I knew I was forgetting a few. Satellite is awesome !
I had the 45 at one stage. Ive also heard Did you no wrong...

Great Stuff !

Rikk
01-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Ever heard any of the P.I.L. stuff Lydon did after the PISTOLS? I've only heard a few tracks, but they sounded pretty good.

Panamark
01-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Yes, I heard the first PIL album. To be honest I didnt like
it. Its not the same without Jones and Cook.

Did you ever see the "Classic Albums" episode of "Never mind
the Bollocks". Worth seeing if you are a pistols fan :)

Mr Badguy
01-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I`m going to limit myself to one album and one song or we`ll be here all day.

Song: MOTORHEAD "ACE OF SPADES" - Seeing them perform it live on "The young ones" in 1984 was my intoduction to the madness of Heavy Metal and I was hooked. It`s still as good today as it was then. Real rock n roll.

Album: KISS "ALIVE!" - That album blew me away when I got it and if I have to think of one album that affected me big time, then it would be that one. The sound is great, the songs are great and Ace Frehley`s lead guitar work put the cherry on the cake. I don`t care how many overdubs it`s got, it`s still a hell of a record and a reminder of how good Kiss were before they became a joke.

Big Troubles
01-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Ever heard any of the P.I.L. stuff Lydon did after the PISTOLS? I've only heard a few tracks, but they sounded pretty good.

Ouch! Yeah, PIL really didn't leave a lasting impression on Pistol fans. :D Rise was generic, but "ok"...

Nobody digs 999? They might be Giants or Dead Milkmen? Forgotten Rebels, Sons of Freedom or National Velvet? (Rikk, you should know who the Rebels are) from Hamilton.

WACF
01-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Sons of freedom...forgot about them....what was that single with the heavy bass line?

The first real Heavy Metal album I heard was Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast....I was awestruck!

The only other one I can think that made an impact would be Women and Children first...I was at a buddies and his brother had it in his collection.
We put it on and I could not believe how raw it was....I became hooked on VH then.

Rikk
01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Did you ever see the "Classic Albums" episode of "Never mind
the Bollocks". Worth seeing if you are a pistols fan :)

Got both that and the FILTH AND FURY film on DVD. Great discs!!:)

Rikk
01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Ouch! Yeah, PIL really didn't leave a lasting impression on Pistol fans. :D Rise was generic, but "ok"...

Nobody digs 999? They might be Giants or Dead Milkmen? Forgotten Rebels, Sons of Freedom or National Velvet? (Rikk, you should know who the Rebels are) from Hamilton.

DEAD MILKMEN are awesome. DEAD KENNEDYS are one of my favorite bands. Also love BLACK FLAG and CIRCLE JERKS. But I don't know FORGOTTEN REBELS. Are they older?

aesop
01-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Warrant!!!!!!!!!!!

Hah ha just kidding...

...Fags

Big Troubles
01-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by WACF
Sons of freedom...forgot about them....what was that single with the heavy bass line?

"You're No Good" is the one you are prob thinking of. They only had 3 albums, then dissapeared. :(

Big Troubles
01-06-2005, 08:33 PM
DEAD MILKMEN are awesome. DEAD KENNEDYS are one of my favorite bands. Also love BLACK FLAG and CIRCLE JERKS. But I don't know FORGOTTEN REBELS. Are they older?

I grew tired quick with the kennedy's. I liked "Give me Conv' or give me Death" and a few other songs like "Soup is good Food" and "Holiday in Cambodia" The Rebels. Awe, you'd dig them. Sound semi-british punk, and ass kickin' like the Pistols were. Songs like "Fuck me Dead" and "Bomb the Boats" and a classic like "Surfin' on Heroin" made them very underground trendy in the 80's and 90's.

check this out: http://www.forgottenrebels.com/

Big Troubles
01-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by aesop
Warrant!!!!!!!!!!!

Hah ha just kidding...

...Fags

"She's my Cherry Pie". LOL I think Id take Nelson over them. :D

aesop
01-06-2005, 08:48 PM
"She's my Cherry Pie". LOL I think Id take Nelson over them. :D

Yea but would you take Firehouse over them??? That is the question!

Don't Treat Me Bad...lol

Big Troubles
01-07-2005, 04:24 PM
now you're just trying to scare me. LOL

Rikk
01-07-2005, 04:30 PM
I grew tired quick with the kennedy's. I liked "Give me Conv' or give me Death" and a few other songs like "Soup is good Food" and "Holiday in Cambodia" The Rebels. Awe, you'd dig them. Sound semi-british punk, and ass kickin' like the Pistols were. Songs like "Fuck me Dead" and "Bomb the Boats" and a classic like "Surfin' on Heroin" made them very underground trendy in the 80's and 90's.

check this out: http://www.forgottenrebels.com/

I will definitely check that out. Definitely one of the styles I really like.

I can't believe you got bored by the Kennedys. They're amazing. Still, different tastes.

Big Troubles
01-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Pull My Strings is a fav of mine actually. :D "Is my cock big enough, is my brain small enough, for you to make me a star?"... LMAO! Classic.

Rikk
01-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Pull My Strings is a fav of mine actually. :D "Is my cock big enough, is my brain small enough, for you to make me a star?"... LMAO! Classic.

I love that tune!!

Do you know SHORT SONGS from GIVE ME CONVENIENCE? "Rick Wakeman, eat your heart out!" LOL!!!!!!:D

Big Troubles
01-07-2005, 04:42 PM
LOL The Kennedy's always had an untapped creative presence to them. Unfortunatley, I think they were ahead of their time. J Biafro was a freaky mo fo.

Rikk
01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
LOL The Kennedy's always had an untapped creative presence to them. Unfortunatley, I think they were ahead of their time. J Biafro was a freaky mo fo.

Did you know that the drummer, bass player and guitarist have been touring without him for three or four years now? They've actually had two different singers and still call it DEAD KENNEDYS.

Sound familiar?

Big Troubles
01-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Did you know that the drummer, bass player and guitarist have been touring without him for three or four years now? They've actually had two different singers and still call it DEAD KENNEDYS.

Sound familiar?

really? I had no idea. wild. so whats Biafra or is it 'fro, doing these days?

Rikk
01-07-2005, 06:56 PM
really? I had no idea. wild. so whats Biafra or is it 'fro, doing these days?

Biafra is basically doing his lecture talks, although he did make another album with his side-band LARD. He's very critical of the DEAD KENNEDYS "reunion" and says he will never have anything to do with those guys again.

LOL...this really sounds familiar!!:D

HippieLettuce
01-08-2005, 02:17 AM
http://www.ironmaiden.com/discography/discography_IMG/killers.jpg