PDA

View Full Version : What band doesn`t get the respect it deserves?

Mr Badguy
01-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Who isn`t getting enough praise for their work over the years?

I would say Deep Purple.

Zeppelin and Sabbath both seem to be more revered these days even though Purple were just as big in the 70`s.

They made some shit hot LPs like "In rock", "Machine head", "Burn" and "Perfect strangers".

They`re still out there doing it full time, unlike Zep or Sabbath.

Also the amount of good bands the members of Purple produced: Rainbow, Whitesnake, Gillan and....erm Paice, Ashton and Lord.

Even offshoot bands like Dio, after Ronnie got his big break from Blackmore.

Maybe it is because Deep Purple is a really crappy name or because they are so ancient.

DLR7884
01-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Alice In Chains.

Just because they were from Seattle they were considered "grunge", even though they weren't.

They were less popular than Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden....

DLR7884
They were a better band than all of them combined.

blueturk
01-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Thin Lizzy.Contrary to what your local "classic rock" station may have led you to believe,Thin Lizzy actually released some material other than "The Boys Are back In Town".
The line-up with Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham on guitars was one of the greatest live bands of all time.Even after Robertson left (or was fired?) and the band changed guitarists more than J-Lo changes husbands,they still put out some great stuff.
Check out the "Live And Dangerous" video (a BBC special from 1978) and prepare to be blown away.Or check out these albums:
1.Jailbreak
2.Johnny The Fox
3.Bad Reputation
4.Live And Dangerous
5.Black Rose

R.I.P. Phil Lynott

Coyote
01-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
Thin Lizzy.Contrary to what your local "classic rock" station may have led you to believe,Thin Lizzy actually released some material other than "The Boys Are back In Town".
The line-up with Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham on guitars was one of the greatest live bands of all time.Even after Robertson left (or was fired?) and the band changed guitarists more than J-Lo changes husbands,they still put out some great stuff.
Check out the "Live And Dangerous" video (a BBC special from 1978) and prepare to be blown away.Or check out these albums:
1.Jailbreak
2.Johnny The Fox
3.Bad Reputation
4.Live And Dangerous
5.Black Rose

R.I.P. Phil Lynott

Amen to that! I have those, btw... :cool:

Mezro
01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Kings X - the most amazing band in the world that mainstream music fans have never heard of.

Mezro...should have been huge...should have been respected...should not be playing 500 seat shacks...

DLR7884
01-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
Kings X - the most amazing band in the world that mainstream music fans have never heard of.

Mezro...should have been huge...should have been respected...should not be playing 500 seat shacks...

Black guitarist with a mohak.....

DLR7884
Right?

Mezro
01-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Black guitarist with a mohak.....

DLR7884
Right?

Black bass player with a mohawk

Mezro...but you get the idea...amazing band...

DavidLeeNatra
01-06-2005, 07:16 PM
What band doesn`t get the respect it deserves?

mine !!!

Rikk
01-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

I would say Deep Purple.

Zeppelin and Sabbath both seem to be more revered these days even though Purple were just as big in the 70`s.

They made some shit hot LPs like "In rock", "Machine head", "Burn" and "Perfect strangers".

Also the amount of good bands the members of Purple produced: Rainbow, Whitesnake, Gillan and....erm Paice, Ashton and Lord.

Maybe it is because Deep Purple is a really crappy name or because they are so ancient.

I was just listening to DEEP PURPLE today in my car on the way to school.

Amazing band. And they produced many more amazing songs than just SMOKE ON THE WATER and HIGHWAY STAR.

How about:
ANTHEM
BLOODSUCKER
FLIGHT OF THE RAT
FOOLS
NEVER BEFORE
PICTURES OF HOME
WHEN A BLIND MAN CRIES
MARY LONG
SMOOTH DANCER
OUR LADY
SAIL AWAY
YOU FOOL NO ONE
LAY DOWN, STAY DOWN
STORMBRINGER
LADY DOUBLE DEALER
GETTIN' TIGHTER (Tommy Bolin was a bad mutha fucka)
PERFECT STRANGERS
THE BATTLE RAGES ON

...and many, many more!

One of the greatest rock bands in history.

http://www.thehighwaystar.com/graphics/mk2a/deepur10.jpg

Rikk
01-06-2005, 07:24 PM
1.Jailbreak
2.Johnny The Fox
3.Bad Reputation
4.Live And Dangerous
5.Black Rose

R.I.P. Phil Lynott

Once again, an amazing band. They have literally a hundred great songs, and many more good ones.

Check out:
RAY-GUN
DUBLIN
REMEMBERING
THE ROCKER
BLACK BOYS ON THE CORNER
LITTLE DARLING
IT'S ONLY MONEY
KILLER ON THE LOOSE

One of my favorite bands!

aesop
01-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Mezro

They kinda got thrown into the whole generic 'Prog Rock' stereotype. I think they're a great band*

* Mind you I also love Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Marillion, Testament, and a host of other bands not considered 'mainstream'

...It's a shame so much good music goes un-appreciated...

PHOENIX
01-06-2005, 08:01 PM
I agree with all the above except for Kings X. Never cared for them.

I think the most underated band would have to be Iron Maiden. No radio station ever plays these guys. All their popularity comes from word of mouth to this day!

RogueHorseman
01-06-2005, 09:45 PM
1.Jailbreak
2.Johnny The Fox
3.Bad Reputation
4.Live And Dangerous
5.Black Rose

R.I.P. Phil Lynott

Nothing but the absolute TRUTH.

Not a day goes by that Thin Lizzy doesn't play in my ride at some point.

Five stars and today's Tip Of The Ten Gallon Hat<sup>TM</sup> salute to you!

RogueHorseman
01-06-2005, 10:06 PM
A few more lesser known Lizzy tunes I'm big on-

>Dancing In The Moonlight (Van Morrison'ish, should have been a huge top 40 hit here, was in England)
>Whisky In The Jar (their first "real" single, still a standard on U.K. rock radio)
>Still In Love With You, Live (not typical, but amazing)
>Cowboy (from Jailbreak, blends smoothness with metal as well as any attempt I've ever heard)

The whole Jailbreak album start to finish is a flat out rock masterpiece and has had so much more influence than it begins to get credit for.

HippieLettuce
01-06-2005, 11:34 PM
http://members.tripod.com/~tomolee/cover.jpg

Vivian Campbell
01-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Without a doubt its Deep Purple. It is the only band that went through two lead singer changes in a span of a decade and still remained successful. They had the best reunion album ever - Perfect Strangers. The most memorable guitar intro ever - Smoke on the Water. Greatest live album - Made in Japan. Greatest Guitar player ever - Ritchie Blackmore. Greatest keyboard player ever - John Lord.

Look at the great musicians that were in Deep Purple:
Ritchie Blackmore
John Lord
Ian Gillan
David Coverdale
Glenn Hughes
Tommy Bolin
Steve Morse
Ian Paice
Joe Lynn Turner
Don Airey

The current MK of Deep Purple is damn good. I saw them live during the summer and they delivered one hell of a show. Their last album, Bananas, was very good.

BrownSound1
01-07-2005, 01:46 AM
You forgot to include Satriani in that list too...he did play guitar on a tour for them. However, I do not for one second think Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest guitarist of all time...He was good, but I can think of loads who can play circles around him.

Rikk
01-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
You forgot to include Satriani in that list too...he did play guitar on a tour for them. However, I do not for one second think Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest guitarist of all time...He was good, but I can think of loads who can play circles around him.

True, but he's got one of those incredible sounds. Meat and potatoes rock 'n' roll guitar, but with a real classical edge and some evil to it. He's definitely near the top of my list when it comes to guitarists...and frankly, I'd rather listen to him than Eddie at the moment only because I hate Eddie so much right now.

DavidLeeNatra
01-07-2005, 05:52 AM

you beat me to that... ;) and I agree...blackmore had a unique sound but isn't that much of an all time guitar hero for me...

I still have a concert of the MKII reunion tour (perfect strangers) live from paris on video and you can already see that blackmore and gillan hate each other. gillan voice was fucked up and totally shot that night and he sounded like some bad karaoke impersonator that night...

Vivian Campbell
01-07-2005, 08:32 AM
You forgot to include Satriani in that list too...he did play guitar on a tour for them.

Yep, to finish up the Battle Rages On Tour. Since Blackmore left, the rest of the members were going to dissolve Purple after the tour. But, with Blackmore out of the picture they claim there was less conflict and they rediscovered the fun of touring together. Gillan asked Satch to become the permanent guitarist, but Satch balked.

I think I subconsciously forgot to add his name due to the fact that he was the supporting act for the DP show I saw. He delivered a very boring set.

However, I do not for one second think Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest guitarist of all time...He was good, but I can think of loads who can play circles around him.

Here’s my case for Blackmore - if you want emotion in your music - you have to turn to Blackmore. This man plays with his heart on his Fender. When DP or Rainbow had some sort of romantic or sad song, Ritchie transcended the lyrics sung and explained to you through his solos the deep and utter pain of the subject of the song. “Wasted Sunsets” (Perfect Strangers) is a perfect example of this. I don’t know the man personally, but to play with such heart wrenching passion, you have to have some kind of deep sorrow in your soul. Other guitar greats like Eddie Van Halen could never give you the emotion Ritchie brought to the music.

Ritchie, in the seventies, was one of the fastest guitar players out there. He founded Neo-Classical guitar. When he wasn’t in one of his moods, he delivered some of the best live performances out there.

Who can claim as many memorable riffs and solos as Ritchie Blackmore? The only one I can think of is Tony Iommi. Highway Star, Fire Ball, Flight of the Rat, Smoke on the Water, Strange Kind of Woman, Mistreated, Burn, Man on the Silver Mountain, Stargazer, and Gates of Babylon only scratch the surface of his amazing guitar catalogue.

nosuchluck
01-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Deep Purple
Jethro Tull
Savatage( i dont think Criss Oliva's death got any mention in any guitar magazine)

i disagree with whoever said Iron Maiden...i think they're overrated.

Mr Badguy
01-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
Who can claim as many memorable riffs and solos as Ritchie Blackmore?

Mick Mars.

Only joking!

I agree totally.

There are a lot of guys who could probably play faster than Richie nowadays but how many of them can write a good tune?

Blackmore would be in my top ten guitarists.

Mr Badguy
01-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
i disagree with whoever said Iron Maiden...i think they're overrated.

No way!

There aren`t many bands who have released a string of brilliant albums like Maiden.

Every album from 1980`s "Iron Maiden" through 1988`s "Seventh son of a seventh son" was flawless.

Their quality did dip in the 90`s but they are getting close returning to form.

And they`ve never sold out to get on the radio.

Noone epitomizes Heavy Metal non-conformity better than Iron Maiden.

HippieLettuce
01-07-2005, 10:53 AM
No way!

There aren`t many bands who have released a string of brilliant albums like Maiden.

Every album from 1980`s "Iron Maiden" through 1988`s "Seventh son of a seventh son" was flawless.

Their quality did dip in the 90`s but they are getting close returning to form.

And they`ve never sold out to get on the radio.

Noone epitomizes Heavy Metal non-conformity better than Iron Maiden.

No shit.

How the fuck is Maiden overrated?

nosuchluck
01-07-2005, 11:18 AM
they're boring.period. Em C D. for how long??

i did like most of their stuff upto Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, but then they gradually lost it after that (the low points being the albums with Blaze Bayley)

i dont consider Dance of Death to be a return to form in any way. its the most boring album i've ever bought...i've ALWAYS fallen asleep halfway through.

nosuchluck
01-07-2005, 11:19 AM
no doubt they didnt sell out and stuck to their guns...but if their guns are Em C D, then i'm not interested...

Mr Badguy
01-07-2005, 12:58 PM
no doubt they didnt sell out and stuck to their guns...but if their guns are Em C D, then i'm not interested...

Well, if that`s the way you look at music then I could see how you could find it boring.

However, the masses listen to songs rather than analyze chord progressions.

It`s all about the melodies and dynamics on top of the chords.

I mean, think how many bands have made careers out of 12 bar blues and never got boring.

Golden AWe
01-07-2005, 12:59 PM
I totally agree with Deep Purple. Blackmore is one of the sole virtuosos in the world of rock guitar...

Alice In Chains - they didn't make that many albums, on my books they were amazing, but I'd still rate Soundgarden higher than them.

Everything Soundgarden did except for "Black hole sun" is underrated...they had been a superb band for years before that big hit.

Thanks to Sesh I've found a very underrated band from the past - Love/Hate.

Plus the finnish geniuses, Kingston Wall.

ULTRAMAN VH
01-07-2005, 01:16 PM
That's simple, classic DLR era Van Halen. No boxsets, no live cd's or dvd concert footage. The latest Best Of featuring Spam singing Dave era tunes live. The constant assault by the sisters to eliminate that era of the band. It's a No Brainer.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-07-2005, 01:39 PM

I would say Deep Purple.

SURE!
At least the Gillan/Blackmore/Glover/Paice/Lord combination (I can't stand the Dio stuff, and Coverdale-arf-arf above all).
I dunno how the name of the band sounds, but I can tell you it's damn good when you're a French-speaking teen or not Even more these days as the whole 70's guitar rock period is waving hardly back!

I live near Lake Geneva, opposite MONTREUX. Smoke's gone down, not Purple. I certainly ain't thinking of the "Bananas" grotesque ersatz, but the golden time staff...

nosuchluck
01-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Well, if that`s the way you look at music then I could see how you could find it boring.

However, the masses listen to songs rather than analyze chord progressions.

It`s all about the melodies and dynamics on top of the chords.

I mean, think how many bands have made careers out of 12 bar blues and never got boring.

point noted. but blues is really different from what Maiden does today, in terms of dynamics and stucture. also blues is played with a lot more feeling, emotion,etc and there's a lot of improvisation going on- with Maiden the melodies, structure, etc. its a bit too rigid for my liking.

yeah i agree the masses dont analyse chord progressions et al, but after a point everything will start to sound the same- atleast thats whats happened with a lot of my friends.

its not that i totally dislike Maiden; its just that they dont play as well as they can anymore.

Mr Badguy
01-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Jérome from Fra
SURE!
At least the Gillan/Blackmore/Glover/Paice/Lord combination (I can't stand the Dio stuff, and Coverdale-arf-arf above all).
I dunno how the name of the band sounds, but I can tell you it's damn good when you're a French-speaking teen or not Even more these days as the whole 70's guitar rock period is waving hardly back!

I live near Lake Geneva, opposite MONTREUX. Smoke's gone down, not Purple. I certainly ain't thinking of the "Bananas" grotesque ersatz, but the golden time staff...

YES!

That`s what I was trying to say!

Mr Badguy
01-07-2005, 06:14 PM
point noted. but blues is really different from what Maiden does today, in terms of dynamics and stucture. also blues is played with a lot more feeling, emotion,etc and there's a lot of improvisation going on- with Maiden the melodies, structure, etc. its a bit too rigid for my liking.

yeah i agree the masses dont analyse chord progressions et al, but after a point everything will start to sound the same- atleast thats whats happened with a lot of my friends.

its not that i totally dislike Maiden; its just that they dont play as well as they can anymore.

Cool, Man.

I can live with that.

You dig what you dig.

BITEYOASS
01-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Some of you will probably slam me for this, but I would say Devo. Just don't listen to anything past "New Traditionalists" There best recordings s whatever they did before they got a record contract. One I'd recommend is "Devo Live: The Mongoloid years". Listen especially to the last concert on that disc, in which some guy named Murray the K gives a rather stoned introduction. And then the band proceeds to piss off the audience with there intentionally bad music. One hippie storms up the stage, grabs the mic and yells out: "I'm gonna beat the shit out of you assholes" from the bands 10+ minute version of "Jocko Homo", after which they start singing a song that goes like this: I need a chick, to suck my dick!:D

rustoffa
01-07-2005, 10:44 PM
UFO
The Plasmatics
L7
The Cramps
MC5
Cheap Trick
Foghat
Black Flag
The Stooges
Lunachicks
Flat Duo Jets
Gram Parsons
Alex Chilton
Link Wray
Mark Farner
Marshall Tucker Band
Dead Kennedys
Gene Vincent
Rose Tatoo
Peter Frampton
Roky Erickson
The Damned
Devo
Hanoi Rocks
Weezer
Twisted Sister
Bow Wow Wow
Mentors
T Rex
New York Dolls
Gang Of Four
Joan Jett
J Geils
Nick Gilder
SWEET
L7
L7
L7
L7
L7

ALinChainz
01-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm gonna say this band and then bail.

Not that they deserve mass respect or anything, but am wondering if anyone else here likes them at all.

Tora Tora.

:D

aesop
01-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
The Plasmatics

LOL I'm surprized there has never been a Wendy-O pic fest here from back in the day...

...Is she still alive??

nosuchluck
01-08-2005, 12:28 PM
i think MSG was great too. Michael Schenker is one guitarist who certainly does NOT get the amount of respect that he deserves.

teamaa104
01-08-2005, 12:59 PM
obviously this band gets no respect around this website..

Motley Crue!!

sike you all can hate them if you want

academic punk
01-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Anyone ever hear of RORY GALLAGHER?

Brilliant guitarist, was once ebven seriously considered to replace Mick Taylor in the Stones, but seems to have been forgotten both by fans and critics alike (bands like Devo or the aforementioend Alex Chiloton and Gram Parsons at least keep critics raving and drooling to this day).

Who else?

The Faces (before Rod turned shit)
Richard Thompson
Yo La Tengo
Mogwai

(these are actually alll artists who are criticaly respected...)

oh...DAVE!!! He's NEVER gotten the credit he deserves, except from us here. Critics used to dismiss VH in the early days, then they may have begun to VAGUELY praise CVH after he left, but it was still in the light of "CVH were pretty good...uhm....weren't they?"

That JD Considine (who from the way he praised this last VH tour must've received a rim job from Al) reviewed "A Li'l Ain't Enough" with two words: "Wanna bet?" <eanwhile it's got some great stuff on it, and next to EEAS is the best, most exciting album of dave's solo career.

FORD
01-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Let's face it, Deep Purple lost respect for the same reason Van Halen has. Because the band became a fucking joke.

Unlike VH though, it wasn't the work of one frizzy haired tequila peddling Republican assclown. But a band with a revolving door lineup, really isn't much of a band at all. Unless Gillan and Blackmore are both involved, it really ain't Deep Purple.

PenguinsKID1986
01-08-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't think the Black Crows ever got the respect they deserved, I know it dosn't help when your as big a prick as Chris Robinson but?

academic punk
01-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by PenguinsKID1986
I don't think the Black Crows ever got the respect they deserved, I know it dosn't help when your as big a prick as Chris Robinson but?

what do you mean? They sold good numbers until they stopped being BLATANT rip offs of the stones and the faces, and then they went right down the shitter when they attempted to be only blatant rip-offs.

no coincidence.

(actually, parts of Lions I liked a lot.)

nosuchluck
01-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Let's face it, Deep Purple lost respect for the same reason Van Halen has. Because the band became a fucking joke.

Unlike VH though, it wasn't the work of one frizzy haired tequila peddling Republican assclown. But a band with a revolving door lineup, really isn't much of a band at all. Unless Gillan and Blackmore are both involved, it really ain't Deep Purple.

dont forget Jon Lord. they shouldve atleast called it quits when Lord left.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-09-2005, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Badguy
[B] Who isn`t getting enough praise for their work over the years?

Yeah. But there used to be a most smashing group called J. GEILS BAND (I bought their first 8 albums 11 years ago). Well, they've never stopped blowing my face out ever since. I think it's unfair.
To me, these guys are really under-rated, looking backwards. What's the matter with them? They seem to have been forgotten even in the US. How do you regard them in America today?
---

Jérôme Frenchise
01-09-2005, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by academic punk
[B] Anyone ever hear of RORY GALLAGHER?

Brilliant guitarist, was once ebven seriously considered to replace Mick Taylor in the Stones, but seems to have been forgotten both by fans and critics alike (bands like Devo or the aforementioend Alex Chiloton and Gram Parsons at least keep critics raving and drooling to this day).

Good Rory is still a hero today in Europe. In Ireland, he is an icon. Damned! It's been 10 bloody years since he died.

academic punk
01-09-2005, 11:42 AM
[B] Anyone ever hear of RORY GALLAGHER?

Good Rory is still a hero today in Europe. In Ireland, he is an icon. Damned! It's been 10 bloody years since he died.

Is it that long? TEN YEARS? Shit. And is he still revered in Ireland? He's been COMPLETELY forgotten state-side. Which is a shame. I don't even know if his records are still available here.

DavidLeeNatra
01-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
Anyone ever hear of RORY GALLAGHER?

BIG GUNS !!!

academic punk
01-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
BIG GUNS !!!

Hey! Another thing we have in common then, Natra! A toast!

DavidLeeNatra
01-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey! Another thing we have in common then, Natra! A toast! :bottle:

DavidLeeNatra
01-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey! Another thing we have in common then, Natra! A toast!

academic punk
01-09-2005, 02:20 PM
hahahahahahahaha!

Jérôme Frenchise
01-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Well, is there really nobody here remembering of great 70s J. GEILS BAND? I just can't believe so! Is it a taboo band name or what?
---
Rory's records can be found everywhere in France, Britain and of course Ireland, wonderfully re-issued with great, great remastered sound!

Go to www.btinternet.com/~rory.gallagher

loss of fools
01-09-2005, 06:10 PM
definatly agree with the people who said thin lizzy and deep purple especialy deep purples fireball its a amazing album. i would also so megadeth, all you ever hear about is metallica but megadeth shit all over them.

academic punk
01-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Well, is there really nobody here remembering of great 70s J. GEILS BAND? I just can't believe so! Is it a taboo band name or what?
---
Rory's records can be found everywhere in France, Britain and of course Ireland, wonderfully re-issued with great, great remastered sound!

Go to www.btinternet.com/~rory.gallagher

great tip jerome! and welcome to our tiny island.

(why'd you give me a crap review, though???)

academic punk
01-09-2005, 08:54 PM
and J. Geils early on was great stuff. i guess sorta like Chicago, they morphed into a crappy radio band, and lost their original cult audience.

(JImi Hendrix was an ENORMOUS fan of the first Chicago LP. The he died, they brought in Peter Cetera, they recorded "Love Me Tomorrow" and the rest is history.)

flappo
01-10-2005, 06:56 AM
yeah , thin lizzy

one of the all time gratest rock bands

and very VERY underrated

in 1977 they toured the us with queen and actually blew queen away !

but enough aboot the backstage orgy :D

Jérôme Frenchise
01-10-2005, 01:40 PM
great tip jerome! and welcome to our tiny island.

(why'd you give me a crap review, though???)

Why, this may be a tiny island, but it's the biggest! Such a bloody fine place to be!

The "crappy" link is just what's given at the bottom of "Irish tour" remastered. Sorry, I just should have checked myself before.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-10-2005, 01:50 PM
[B] and J. Geils early on was great stuff.

It's just what I did mean, the first 8 albums, from the 1970 debut one to the 1976 double "Blow your face out" live dynamite...
Will you buddies say something about them in the thread I launched on that topic - or am I really in the woods by mentioning J. Geils Band??)!?
I've gotta know!

teamaa104
01-10-2005, 09:08 PM
you all may disagree, but the human league is a band that does not get the respect it deserves. they were so far ahead of their time and the music was simply amazing.

blueturk
01-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by flappo
yeah , thin lizzy

one of the all time gratest rock bands

and very VERY underrated

in 1977 they toured the us with queen and actually blew queen away !

but enough aboot the backstage orgy :D

Ha Ha. Fucking idiot.

nosuchluck
01-11-2005, 11:55 AM
the late great Shawn Lane does not get the respect that he deserves....

flappo
01-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Ha Ha. Fucking idiot.

i guess you're more of a robson & jerome fan ?

Soul Reaper
01-15-2005, 09:40 AM
1.Jailbreak
2.Johnny The Fox
3.Bad Reputation
4.Live And Dangerous
5.Black Rose

R.I.P. Phil Lynott

I got Thin Lizzy's Greatest Hits album recently and every song is brilliant. Phil Lynott is an awesome songwriter. 'Live andDangerous' has to be one of the best if not the best live album ever.

Jack68
01-20-2005, 07:11 PM
THE KINKS-Great live band with one of the best songwriters ever.
THIN LIZZY-Everyone and their mother pointed this one out.I actually met him in 1980 in ireland at my Uncles bar ,he was waiting for a ferry.
GEORGE HARRISON-his solo stuff is incredible imo,as is his slide guitar playing
WILLIE FUCKING NELSON-great stuff
FRANK ZAPPA-Dont hear him at all on the radio,got turned on to him a few years back and havent looked back
RUSH-How the fuck these guys arent in the r&r hall of fame?I know its a shit title but come on.RUSH IN RIO IS FUCKING AMAZING.

Atomic_Rob
01-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Rustoffa some of the bands on that list you mentioned are fuckin SPOT ON.

I love the New York Dolls, they get alot of credit from Aerosmith in the walk this way book but they are over shadowed by the Pistols and Clash when it comes to punk. Their first album was a MASTERPIECE.

Weezer, UFO, T-Rex, Joan Jett [Runaways are only good all girl band], Cheap Trick and the Sweet also fuckin rock and don't get the respect they deserve.

julia
01-20-2005, 07:55 PM
The Ramones don't get the respect they deserve I very rarely hear them on the radio

Nickdfresh
01-20-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm goin' out on a limb here: m THE PSYCHEDELIC FURS!

CVHfan
01-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I agree with just about everything above and would argue Stevie Ray Vaughan. He reinvigorated the Blues in a time when Blues was very unprolific. He kicked some ass, especially on "In Step"

I am not a huge fan of Rock after 1998 because it all sounds the same, but I really like Sevendust because they sound different. They get very little attention as opposed to bands that are not half as good. Sevendust is an underrated band.

tydhurst
01-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
That's simple, classic DLR era Van Halen. No boxsets, no live cd's or dvd concert footage.

true!

Led Zeppelin, because AYMMSH said Black Sabbath were better.

Shaun Ponsonby
01-22-2005, 06:31 PM
UFO, their music hasn't aged.

THE SCORPIONS, they did do other songs that were not called 'Wind of Change' that were actually good, 'Virgin Killer' and 'Alien Nation', for example.

I feel bad for STATUS QUO, because they are seen as, shall we say uncool, but who can deny that they certainly know how to rock (except their version of John Foggerty's 'Rockin All Over The World')?

WHITESNAKE's Moody-Marsden line-up was better than Whitesnake post-1987 (or White Jovi as I call them).

CHEAP TRICK are certainly underrated.

And, of course, a lot of forgotten Progressive gems, and a lot of the bands from the NWOBHM.

DrMaddVibe
01-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Fishbone

The Cult

Brother Cane

Chris Isaak

Babe The Blue Ox

Ministry

Roxy Music

Corey Stevens

Julian Lennon

Jellyfish

Spinal Tap

Garbage

tydhurst
01-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by julia
The Ramones don't get the respect they deserve I very rarely hear them on the radio

There's a good reason for that.

DeadOrAlive
01-23-2005, 09:15 PM
...MY BAND!!!

Mulattothrasher
01-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Accept
Grave Digger
Running Wild
Iced Earth
Annihilator
Sodom
Manowar
Jag Panzer
Helloween
Many others, but those come to mind first heheh

Chaz Rock City
01-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Rainbow: I think their better than Deep Purple. Check out Final Vinal, Blackmore plays a crushing solo on I Surrender

Lizzie Borden: He is the only guy to take what Alice Cooper did, and make it his own. Unlike Manson and WASP he wrote good songs.

Cheap Trick: Check out the box set Sex, America, and Cheap Trick

ps I like Mick Mars. Yngwie Malmsteen once said,"I don't know what Mick Mars is doing, but no one does it better." I met Mick once, he seemed like a nice guy.

Atomic_Rob
01-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Status Quo - listen to anything from between 1970 - 1977's Live album. That is Rock and Fuckin Roll. Very under rated in my book.

loss of fools
01-24-2005, 07:47 PM
grand funk railroad- im only a new fan of theres so im not sure how big they got or are, but you never hear anything of them. very overlooked.

Shaun Ponsonby
01-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Ah, Mr. Fools- Grand Funk. Excellent band.

DrMaddVibe
01-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by loss of fools
grand funk railroad- im only a new fan of theres so im not sure how big they got or are, but you never hear anything of them. very overlooked.

Isn't Kulick playing with them now?

rob100
02-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob
Status Quo - listen to anything from between 1970 - 1977's Live album. That is Rock and Fuckin Roll. Very under rated in my book.

Yeah. Quo is great.

secrets
02-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Faith No More were pretty influential, don't hear about them anymore.

Wayne L.
02-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Kiss & AC/DC

DLR7884
02-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Kiss & AC/DC

How do those 2 bands not get the respect they deserve?

DLR7884
They are two of the most popular rock bands in history.

FORD
02-22-2005, 03:44 PM
and J. Geils early on was great stuff. i guess sorta like Chicago, they morphed into a crappy radio band, and lost their original cult audience.

(JImi Hendrix was an ENORMOUS fan of the first Chicago LP. The he died, they brought in Peter Cetera, they recorded "Love Me Tomorrow" and the rest is history.)

Cetera was a founding member of the band, and he contributed to the great sound of the early records as well.

He did turn into a pussy after Kath died though :(

katie
02-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Budgie
Lone Star

SweetSecrets
02-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Baby Animals

FORD
02-25-2005, 01:09 AM
The band that doesn't get any respect is The Alarm.

Many wrote them off either because of their hair (which was admittedly ridiculous) or mistakenly tagged them as U2 clones because they wrote about similar subjects (God & politics)

Of course the U2 comparison wasn't entirely accurate. They sounded as much like the Clash as they did U2, and the early material - mostly on acoustic guitars - shows a great deal of Dylan influence as well.

And then by the time they released the "Strength" album in 1986, Dave Sharp's guitar riffs were closer to early 70's Stones than anything on the "Dirty Work" album released the same year.

You can't find an Alarm CD in any American record store (unless it's one of those indy places that loves imports) and it's a goddamned shame. They never got the credit they were due :(

http://www.thealarm.tv/photos/promo_dec1.jpg

Jérôme Frenchise
02-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Well, I tried to open a thread about them, considering them as a first-class band that never reached the fame they deserve: the Fleshtones. They may be seen as underdogs if you only look at their sales and how known they are, but to me they're a top group.

As soon as their first album, "Blast off", they played a kind of 50s revival (in 78!), with a strong sound identity, a high musical science ( a big beat, breaks, off-beat parts, beautiful harmonies, sharp riffs...), often funny lyrics (I think), and an overwhelming enthusiasm.

Pete Zaremba (voc/harmonica/organ) and Keith Streng (guitar) are true wizards, to me.

This album is my favorite:

Jano
02-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Blue oyster Cult!

nosuchluck
02-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by katie
Budgie

nice choice.

DLR7884
02-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by katie