PDA

View Full Version : Time to vote

BigBadBrian
01-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Time to vote
Charles Krauthammer

January 7, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Has no one learned anything?

On Sept. 13, 1993, I was on the White House lawn watching the signing of the Oslo accords. I also watched the intellectual collapse of the entire Middle East intelligentsia -- journalists, politicians, ``experts'' -- as they swooned at the famous handshake between Yasser Arafat and Yitzhak Rabin and refused, that day and for years to come, to recognize what was obvious: that Arafat was embarking not on peace but on the next stage of his perpetual war against Israel, this one to be launched far more advantageously from a base of Palestinian territory that Israel had just suicidally granted him.

Why was this so obvious? Because Arafat said so -- that very night (in an Arabic broadcast to his own people on Jordanian television) and many times afterward. The Middle East experts refused to believe it. They did not want to hear it. Then came the intifada. Thousands of dead later, they now believe it. The more honest ones among them even admit they were wrong.

Now Arafat is dead, Mahmoud Abbas is poised to succeed him, and the world is swooning again. Abbas, we are told, is the great hope, the moderate, the opponent of violence, the man who has said the intifada was counterproductive.

The peacemaker cometh. Once again, euphoria is in the air. Once again, no one wants to listen to what is being said.

Elections for the new Palestinian leader are on Sunday. Conveniently, this being a Palestinian election, we already know the winner. How has President-to-be Abbas been campaigning?

Dec. 30: Abbas, appearing in Jenin, is hoisted on the shoulders of Zakaria Zbeida, a notorious and wanted al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades terrorist. Abbas declares that he will protect all terrorists from Israel.

Dec. 31: Abbas reiterates his undying loyalty to Arafat's maximalist demands: complete Israeli withdrawal to the 1949 armistice lines, Jerusalem as the Palestinian capital, and -- the red-flag deal-breaker -- the ``right of return,'' which would send the millions of Palestinians abroad not to their own country of Palestine but to Israel in order to destroy it demographically.

Jan. 1: Abbas declares that he will never crack down on Palestinian terrorism.

Jan. 4: Abbas calls Israel ``the Zionist enemy.'' That phrase is so odious that only Hezbollah and Iran and others openly dedicated to the extermination of Israel use it.

What of Abbas' vaunted opposition to violence? On Jan. 2 he tells Hamas terrorists firing rockets that maim and kill Jewish villagers within Israel, ``This is not the time for this kind of act.'' This is an interesting ``renunciation'' of terrorism: Not today, boys; perhaps later, when the time is right. Which was exactly Arafat's utilitarian approach to terrorism throughout the Oslo decade.

Some of the American and Israeli responses to Abbas are enough to make you weep. Spokesman at the U.S. Embassy in Israel: ``We don't think it is useful to focus on every statement by every official; what's important is the process.'' Official in Prime Minister Sharon's office: ``Words don't count in the Middle East; what counts are actions.''

Have we learned nothing? In the Middle East, words are actions. Never more so than in an election campaign where your words define your platform and establish your mandate. Abbas is running practically unopposed and yet, on the question of both ends and means, he chooses to run as Yasser Arafat.

During the decade of Oslo, Arafat's every statement of hatred, incitement and glorification of violence was similarly waved away. Then bombs began going off in cafes and buses, and the Middle East wise men realized he meant it all along. Now once again they are telling us to ignore the words. Abbas does not really mean it, they assure us. This is just electioneering. We know his true moderate heart. Believe us.

Why? On the basis of their track record? And even more importantly, you do not conduct foreign policy as a branch of psychiatry. Does Abbas mean the things he says about Israel now? I do not know, and no matter what you hear from the experts -- the same people who assured you that Arafat wanted peace -- neither do they.

But we do know this. In Abbas' first moment of real leadership, his long-anticipated emergence from the shadow of Arafat, he chooses to literally hoist the flag of the terrorist al-Aqsa Brigades.

Can Abbas turn into a Sadat, who also emerged from the shadow of a charismatic leader, reversed policy and made peace with Israel? I'll believe it when I see it. And hear it.

DEMON CUNT
01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/03/09/images/Rabin_Clinton_Arafat.jpg

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/13/newsid_3053000/3053733.stm

The handshake - the first ever in public between the two former arch enemies - marked the signing of a Declaration of Principles for peace between the Arabs and Israelis.

President Bill Clinton introduced the two leaders to the crowd of invited guests in front of the White House. By his side, were former Presidents Jimmy Carter and George Bush who had vigorously campaigned for peace during their terms in office.

Forget the blowjob heard round the world, Clinton was one hell of a statesman! Clinton made efforts towards peace by actually seeking peace.

Bush's "war is peace" approach to world affairs has killed close to 1400 Americans. Bush's "War is Peace" doctrine has caused much of the world to despise it's most powerful country.

There will be no peace in this part of the world as long as Bush is our president.

Jesus Christ
01-07-2005, 10:42 AM
There will be no peace in that part of the world until I, the Messiah, set up My Kingdom in Jerusalem's temple.

But the arrogance of My people the Jews shall soon turn against them (Ezekiel 38-39) Only after that destruction shall they repent from their oppression of the Palestinians and remember their Messiah.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT

Forget the blowjob heard round the world, Clinton was one hell of a statesman! Clinton made efforts towards peace by actually seeking peace.

Bush's "war is peace" approach to world affairs has killed close to 1400 Americans. Bush's "War is Peace" doctrine has caused much of the world to despise it's most powerful country.

There will be no peace in this part of the world as long as Bush is our president. [/B]

GOOD Bill, it's always such a pleasure to read your analyses.
I agree with you. The USA had their best president in decades (Clinton), then the worst they could get (G. W. Bush). Too bad.

I've been at war for 4 years against stupid hodgepodge that's spread around in Europe. Whatever their background, many people will blame Americans as a whole on Bush's foreign policies these days. It's obviously inaccurate, but they all feel qualified as supreme judges from the height of the little they know. Blind lovers are wrong too, but they do a lot less harm.

As for the Israel vs Palestine conflict, it's unfortunately not up to the president of the USA to solve it, whoever he'll be. Where I live, I know very few people who aren't biased on either side. Almost everybody sticks either to one or the other. One close friend of mine takes an active part in helping Palestinian children by getting them out of there to Geneva for a couple of weeks to let them breathe and see something else than the gloom they've known since the day they were born. One of the children was shot down like a little rabbit near the border just before Christmas. He was 10 years old. That friend of mine is entirely anti-Israeli, but who would convince him not to be in such circumstances?

I won't claim that all Israeli are responsible, but it's 100% every Israeli's fault in a lot of people's minds here. Anti-Palestinians will be 100% against any idea from the other side as well. In Israel and in Ghaza, there isn't more room for nuances. Not less either, though.
The way Israel was founded was a mistake, basically. Who would accept to let their home to anybody, being themselves relegated to the back of the garden? But there was a compromise that was signed, back in 1947-48. Sure.
But it's 2005 now. The end is not yet to be seen. It won't directly depend on foreign countries. Peace will spring from there. As long as they can't live together, nothing will ever get better. They have never tolerated each other as neighbours, so there are few chances. Still, it's the only way out. I think the young generation will manage to live in peace. Arafat was an old extremist, Sharon is one too. Palestinian (and Israeli) children are paying for long-lived diehard hatreds, and THEY will get out of those old butchers's mess.