PDA

View Full Version : Carroll to the Niners?

POJO_Risin
01-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Carroll just won't leave USC for this job...but there is a damn push...

It could be interesting...as the days progress...

Sunday, January 9, 2005

ESPN.com news services
Southern California and San Francisco 49ers alumni Ronnie Lott and Tim McDonald are among those trying to convince Trojans coach Pete Carroll to become the Niners' head coach, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday.

Lott and McDonald are serving as intermediaries in an effort to bring Carroll back to San Francisco, where Carroll grew up and where he once served as defensive coordinator.

Lott and McDonald are also attempting to sell Niners owner John York on the idea of turning over the entire operation to Carroll.

Carroll, however, said last Thursday he had no interest in the job.

"I have not been contacted, I don't expect to be contacted and I'm not interested," Carroll said.

A former 49ers assistant and also head coach of the New York Jets and New England Patriots, Carroll has guided USC to consecutive national titles.

Others on San Francisco's list of candidates include current Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren, a former 49ers offensive coordinator, and Jim Fassel, who took the Giants to the Super Bowl.

But there are some intriguing coordinators who have captured York's attention, as well. York met with Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel on Saturday, and the Niners are also to interview Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, son of former San Francisco coach Dick Nolan.

Two potential sleepers are defensive coordinators Jerry Gray of the Buffalo Bills and Tim Lewis of the New York Giants. The Jets' Donnie Henderson and Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger are also in the mix.

ALinChainz
01-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Notice how Leinart is waiting until the deadline to declare.

Been following this too and I think he takes it.

POJO_Risin
01-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Well...I know that before this incredible success at USC the past 2 years...this woulda been a no brainer...I know he sold his soul to NE and the Jets when he coached there...it's the way he is...translates well to college...

I don't know now though...they are perched to win several championships...I would never leave that situation...especially when I built it...

I know it's his hometown...whatever...but he could line himself for a better job than this...

funny...saying there are better jobs than SF...

POJO_Risin
01-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Many will be watching Holmgren...IMO...if he's available...Carroll becomes a mute point...

ALinChainz
01-09-2005, 11:13 PM
I hear you, but in this case ... a shit team, you get time to build .. he's the local boy ... they all want the Super Bowl ...college is nice and prestigious and all that, granted ... only 32 jobs in the NFL ...wants to prove he can ... #1 pick in San Fran ...

So far, ownership has said it's time to get this team back, blah blah blah ... so means maybe opening the wallet.

Would he take Leinart .. don't know ... he very well might. Don't trust a Heisman qb myself, but would put asses in the seats of a team that isnt going to be good right away.

Might be using the Niners to get USC to pony up a little more ...who knows.

I think he strikes while the iron is hot, gets himself one of those 5 year, $25 million dollar deals and makes the jump. Proven he can win at the big time college level, time to prove he can win in the pros.

In my humble opinion of course. :D

ALinChainz
01-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Holmgren wouldn't be impossible ... if they can't get Carroll, I bet they look there.

POJO_Risin
01-09-2005, 11:25 PM
I see it as the other way around...

Carroll can't lose this year...or next...IMO...

the iron is hot now...sure...but he really could be building something special at USC...and that may be more than enough to keep him from going...

POJO_Risin
01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
You know who would be interesting?...I know he has vocal chord issues...but what about this guy?

ALinChainz
01-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Like Fassel, better when he is calling the offense and not leaving it to a coordinator.

POJO_Risin
01-09-2005, 11:49 PM
I Loved Wyche...fiery motherfucker...and used to piss everyone off...lmfao...

ALinChainz
01-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Liked him as a color guy on games too. He might be content enough as a coordinator.

MAX
01-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again. Ol' Petey boy is stellar at USC but as an NFL coach, he blows.

ALinChainz
01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
USC has one of their stud OL leaning towrds the draft now ... Pete could be taking the Niners gig ...

could happen ... I'm still saying he does ...