PDA

View Full Version : Woman sues over Janet Jackon's breast

ALinChainz
02-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Fri Feb 6, 1:28 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A Tennessee woman has filed a class action suit against Janet Jackson and others involved in her breast-baring Super Bowl halftime show, saying millions of people are owed monetary damages for exposure to lewd conduct.

The suit, filed earlier this week in federal court in Knoxville, Tennessee, also names pop star Justin Timberlake, who performed with Jackson, CBS Broadcasting, show producer MTV Networks Enterprises, and the parent of those two companies, Viacom.

The action seeks a court order to prevent anything like last Sunday's stunt from being repeated on U.S. network television prior to 10 p.m. local time when children might be watching.

No dollar figure for damages is mentioned in the suit, but it estimates that over 80 million U.S. viewers might be due compensation. CBS has said the game drew an average viewership of just under 89.6 million people. Advertising during the game sold for more than $2 million (1.1 million pounds) a spot.

The suit states that the ultimate compensatory damage figure, should a jury decide to grant damages, should be no higher than what the parties being sued made out of participating in and airing the Super Bowl and its halftime show.

If additional punitive damages are granted, it adds, they should be no higher than the "gross annual revenues of each defendant for the last three years..."

Those figures would probably run into the billions of dollars, according to the Smoking Gun, a Web site that first published the court papers.

During the halftime show Timberlake tore off half of Jackson's black leather bustier, exposing her right breast, while the two were singing a duet.

Jackson took the blame but said "it was not my intention that it go as far as it did."

CBS has already said it would use an "enhanced delay" on its February 8 broadcast of music's Grammy Awards so it can censor both audio and video as needed, and ABC also said it will use a delay on its February 29 broadcast of the Academy Awards (news - web sites).

The suit says the defendants knew the broadcast would be watched by millions of families with children but they "included in the halftime show sexually explicit acts solely designed to garner publicity and ultimately to increase profits for themselves. The suit mentions the breast exposure but also says the show in general contained "other lewd and sexually explicit conduct."

The law firm handling the suit issued a statement on Friday saying that neither the woman who filed it, Terri Carlin, nor her attorney, Wayne Ritchie, would comment. "The issue here is accountability and not more publicity," it said.

Fairwrning
02-06-2004, 05:23 PM
3 years pay for being forced to stare at Janet's tit....sign me up...:donkey:

ALinChainz
02-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
The law firm handling the suit issued a statement on Friday saying that neither the woman who filed it, Terri Carlin, nor her attorney, Wayne Ritchie, would comment. "The issue here is accountability and not more publicity," it said.

Not more publicity? Yeah, right. Who is Terri Carlin and she and her attorney aren't looking for their 15 minutes? Bullshit.

With all the violence and sex on TV, you'd think people could get a grip over a tit flash.

Gmoney
02-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Yes, it was scary image, but to sue....give me a fuckin' break!!

Somebody should sue this person for being an idiot!!

alexpgrimes
02-06-2004, 10:16 PM
What about my pain and suffering for staring at that boob Justin Timberlake???

Panamark
02-07-2004, 12:55 AM
I think its great that Janet is showing the world that the Jackson family are not a bunch of sick perverted sexual misfits ! Right at the time her brother is in court for child molestation !

Was it just me that found this totally wierd ??

Little Texan
02-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Not more publicity? Yeah, right. Who is Terri Carlin and she and her attorney aren't looking for their 15 minutes? Bullshit.

With all the violence and sex on TV, you'd think people could get a grip over a tit flash.

I think what the woman is really looking for is a paycheck. Regardless, I think someone should sue CBS, MTV, and the NFL for subjecting the nation to such a shitty, horrendous, forgettable Super Bowl halftime show. That is, by far, the worst excuse for a halftime show I've ever had the misfortune of seeing in my entire life.

Little Texan
02-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
I think its great that Janet is showing the world that the Jackson family are not a bunch of sick perverted sexual misfits ! Right at the time her brother is in court for child molestation !

Was it just me that found this totally wierd ??

The Jacksons are the epitome of weird. That whole family is FUBAR. Everyone just thought that Janet was the "normal" one, but she's just as fucked up as the rest of them. I thought I read something about her having coffee enemas a few years ago to cure her depression. Yeah, shooting hot coffee up your ass is going to perk you up. Pun intended. :D

Cathedral
02-07-2004, 03:02 AM
The bitch should have done it in Playboy. at least that way she could have made money as opposed to losing money...If she gets fined that is.
I don't find her attractive and i was offended that the fucking N*&%$R Bitch showed her black nasty ass tit.

thebuldawg
02-07-2004, 12:20 PM
No dollar figure for damages is mentioned in the suit, but it estimates that over 80 million U.S. viewers might be due compensation. CBS has said the game drew an average viewership of just under 89.6 million people. Advertising during the game sold for more than $2 million (1.1 million pounds) a spot.

Well if they think that compensation could be in the billions, and you figure that they made (and I'm just pulling this firgure out of the air) a billion dollars on this and they do win the suit and split it like this then the payouts will be around $11 a piece which after you get taxed for it will turn out to be about $1.27.

OOH! OOH! Sign me on! I want my $1.27! :rolleyes:

Bunch of sue happy jackasses are what they are.

Cathedral
02-07-2004, 01:10 PM
You forgot to subtract the Attorney's Fees....Now you are down to a Quarter (.25)

That's less than the cost of the call to hire the fucker...

thebuldawg
02-08-2004, 01:41 PM
D'oh!

Full Bug
02-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
What about my pain and suffering for staring at that boob Justin Timberlake???
No shit, thats the real crime here.....

Little Texan
02-08-2004, 02:54 PM
The whole halftime show was a crime somebody should get prison time
for.

Dr. Love
02-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I don't find her attractive and i was offended that the fucking N*&%$R Bitch showed her black nasty ass tit.

Wow.

alexpgrimes
02-08-2004, 11:12 PM
I think Latoya was better looking anyway.

Seshmeister
02-09-2004, 07:47 AM
I think Cat nailed it.

This Tennessee woman is just a racist hiding behind the banner of decency.

Fuck her and her twisted little mind...

Cheers!

:gulp:

Albert Einstein
02-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
What about my pain and suffering for staring at that boob Justin Timberlake??? :lol: funny!

Dave IS VH
02-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Janet is ugly, she looks too much like her brother, and her music is horrible.

Only reason her and Justin did this, to sell their albums, and get back into the (lime light) again.

The SB halftime show still sucked, even thew Janet showed her tit's the music was still horrible, and making me sick.

God, I hate Hip hop, Rap, and pop music.

thebuldawg
02-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Dave IS VH
God, I hate Hip hop, Rap, and pop music.

Preach it brother!

KANE
02-24-2004, 01:08 PM
im gonna sue too, cause i didnt get my moneys worth, didnt get to see the nip, whats up with that ?

Sarge
02-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Never before has such been made about a saggy.. and floppy tit than this..

Jesus.
Her tits look like shit