X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrownSound1
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Mar 2003

Marshall 5150?!?

I hear that EVH and Marshall have teamed up to produce a Marshall 5150 amp. That's all I know. Anyone else have any input?
  • Don Corleone
    Veteran
    • May 2004

Yeah. However what I've heard is that it won't be the Marshall 5150. What it will be is a copy of Ed's orginal Marshall Plexi head. Apparently this will be sold as a re-issue model, but not with Ed's signature on it (he will be an endorsee).
    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• distortion9
      Sniper
      • Mar 2004

I saw something about that over at the links (before it exploded). I think it was in some guitar rag. Some band listed a Marshall 5150 in their touring rig....something like that. Maybe road testing it?
      http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...sternsucks.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80...9e45f7d735.jpg

Your mom's box!

Comment

• Denny
        Banned
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Don Corleone
        Yeah. However what I've heard is that it won't be the Marshall 5150. What it will be is a copy of Ed's orginal Marshall Plexi head. Apparently this will be sold as a re-issue model, but not with Ed's signature on it (he will be an endorsee).
        It won't be ANYTHING special. Vintage Marshall's are the way to go.

Comment

• Denny
          Banned
          • Oct 2004

Like this:-

Comment

• BrownSound1
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Mar 2003

Well if they can replicate the sound of that '67 Super Lead, and do it with some consistancy, then that will be great. However, I can see where it would be difficult to do....you almost have to have specialized parts that exhibit the exact same characteristics as the ones in Ed's amp. Much more difficult to do than it seems.

Comment

• Denny
              Banned
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Brownsound1
              Well if they can replicate the sound of that '67 Super Lead, and do it with some consistancy, then that will be great. However, I can see where it would be difficult to do....you almost have to have specialized parts that exhibit the exact same characteristics as the ones in Ed's amp. Much more difficult to do than it seems.
              Those vintage Marshall Amps are so Low tech, No Tech that is very difficult replicate that EXACTLY sound correctly.

ALOT of it has to do with the TRANSFORMERS of '60's Super Lead Amps.

ANother thing to Remember is that EVH's PLEXI was a NON MASTER VOLUME AMP.........meaning that the distortion didn't come from a preamp but from turning the fucking AMP all the way to 11.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

You are correct..and a lot of people miss the point of the power tubes cranking out the tone.

Comment

• jacksmar
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

If you can find this amp, you’ll have Eddie’s sound, Zep’s sound, KISS’s sound and with a few tweaks Hendrix tone.

Muscians Friend is unloading the 5150 amp. I wondered why but this may be the case.
                  A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The Haunted have the Marshall 5150 signiture series listed in their axology listing of gear in the Feb issue of Guitar World.
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• kentuckyklira
                      Veteran
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Denny
                      Like this:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...774100785&rd=1
                      I play 4 of those, through 8 4X12 cabs.

But then, I´m slightly mad!
                      http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

The SL-X is the last of the stock Super Lead series, it ran from 92 to 96 at which time it became the designated JCM-Slash model before retiring in 99 I believe.

I will find out about the Marshall-EVH and let it be known here. If such thing exists, it will debut at NAMM in Anaheim on the 20th - sorry no passes this year..

Comment

• Coyote
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jacksmar
                          If you can find this amp, you’ll have Eddie’s sound, Zep’s sound, KISS’s sound and with a few tweaks Hendrix tone.

Muscians Friend is unloading the 5150 amp. I wondered why but this may be the case.
                          Man, I KNEW I should've bought one while I had the chance...
                          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• sambo
                            Sniper
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jacksmar

or one of these

(100W SLP with cab). Gets me everything I need. Bit of a one trick pony.. but a SansAmp GT2 and/or a good natural OD will more than assist in getting you most sounds.
                            Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• jacksmar
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Gar you make a great point, “stock Super Lead series”.
                              The fact that Marshall had a stock tone and stayed with it for a few years meant finally that Marshall was listening to guitar players needs.
                              I had to re-tube the amp and it didn't sound the same after that. I got another one and after time, another re-tube and the amp tone went away. I guess the load just didn't match properly.
                              I ended up with a JCM 900. I think it was the 4100. But the board that the tubes seat into went out. I’ve not had much luck with Marshalls I guess. I bought a new dfx250 for the house/demos and the power supply fan is going out.

Sambo, I tried one these in the local music shop and it sound great when I recorded a couple of demo pieces with it but it didn't have the umph/push live. It didn't break up very well. That's probably why it sounded tight on tape.

I'm headed to LA in Feb and I've resigned myself to stopping at the Carvin shop, if its still there, and picking up the Vai amp. I've played two of these locally and they are just awesome. I'll make sure to get the cabinet/stack its set for.
                              A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

Working...