PDA

View Full Version : Marshall 5150?!?

BrownSound1
01-11-2005, 12:49 PM
I hear that EVH and Marshall have teamed up to produce a Marshall 5150 amp. That's all I know. Anyone else have any input?

Don Corleone
01-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Yeah. However what I've heard is that it won't be the Marshall 5150. What it will be is a copy of Ed's orginal Marshall Plexi head. Apparently this will be sold as a re-issue model, but not with Ed's signature on it (he will be an endorsee).

distortion9
01-11-2005, 12:54 PM
I saw something about that over at the links (before it exploded). I think it was in some guitar rag. Some band listed a Marshall 5150 in their touring rig....something like that. Maybe road testing it?

Denny
01-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Yeah. However what I've heard is that it won't be the Marshall 5150. What it will be is a copy of Ed's orginal Marshall Plexi head. Apparently this will be sold as a re-issue model, but not with Ed's signature on it (he will be an endorsee).

It won't be ANYTHING special. Vintage Marshall's are the way to go.

Denny
01-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Like this:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3774100785&rd=1

BrownSound1
01-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Well if they can replicate the sound of that '67 Super Lead, and do it with some consistancy, then that will be great. However, I can see where it would be difficult to do....you almost have to have specialized parts that exhibit the exact same characteristics as the ones in Ed's amp. Much more difficult to do than it seems.

Denny
01-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
Well if they can replicate the sound of that '67 Super Lead, and do it with some consistancy, then that will be great. However, I can see where it would be difficult to do....you almost have to have specialized parts that exhibit the exact same characteristics as the ones in Ed's amp. Much more difficult to do than it seems.

Those vintage Marshall Amps are so Low tech, No Tech that is very difficult replicate that EXACTLY sound correctly.

ALOT of it has to do with the TRANSFORMERS of '60's Super Lead Amps.

ANother thing to Remember is that EVH's PLEXI was a NON MASTER VOLUME AMP.........meaning that the distortion didn't come from a preamp but from turning the fucking AMP all the way to 11.

BrownSound1
01-11-2005, 05:04 PM
You are correct..and a lot of people miss the point of the power tubes cranking out the tone.

jacksmar
01-11-2005, 05:05 PM
If you can find this amp, you’ll have Eddie’s sound, Zep’s sound, KISS’s sound and with a few tweaks Hendrix tone.

http://www.blamepro.com/br01210.htm

Muscians Friend is unloading the 5150 amp. I wondered why but this may be the case.

ZahZoo
01-11-2005, 05:19 PM
The Haunted have the Marshall 5150 signiture series listed in their axology listing of gear in the Feb issue of Guitar World.

kentuckyklira
01-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Denny
Like this:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3774100785&rd=1 I play 4 of those, through 8 4X12 cabs.

But then, I´m slightly mad!:)

GAR
01-11-2005, 09:14 PM
The SL-X is the last of the stock Super Lead series, it ran from 92 to 96 at which time it became the designated JCM-Slash model before retiring in 99 I believe.

I will find out about the Marshall-EVH and let it be known here. If such thing exists, it will debut at NAMM in Anaheim on the 20th - sorry no passes this year..

Coyote
01-12-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by jacksmar
If you can find this amp, you’ll have Eddie’s sound, Zep’s sound, KISS’s sound and with a few tweaks Hendrix tone.

Muscians Friend is unloading the 5150 amp. I wondered why but this may be the case.

Man, I KNEW I should've bought one while I had the chance... :mad:

sambo
01-12-2005, 01:58 AM

or one of these

http://www.blamepro.com/mar35th.htm

(100W SLP with cab). Gets me everything I need. Bit of a one trick pony.. but a SansAmp GT2 and/or a good natural OD will more than assist in getting you most sounds.

jacksmar
01-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Gar you make a great point, “stock Super Lead series”.
The fact that Marshall had a stock tone and stayed with it for a few years meant finally that Marshall was listening to guitar players needs.
I had to re-tube the amp and it didn't sound the same after that. I got another one and after time, another re-tube and the amp tone went away. I guess the load just didn't match properly.
I ended up with a JCM 900. I think it was the 4100. But the board that the tubes seat into went out. I’ve not had much luck with Marshalls I guess. I bought a new dfx250 for the house/demos and the power supply fan is going out.

Sambo, I tried one these in the local music shop and it sound great when I recorded a couple of demo pieces with it but it didn't have the umph/push live. It didn't break up very well. That's probably why it sounded tight on tape.

I'm headed to LA in Feb and I've resigned myself to stopping at the Carvin shop, if its still there, and picking up the Vai amp. I've played two of these locally and they are just awesome. I'll make sure to get the cabinet/stack its set for.

kentuckyklira
01-13-2005, 09:34 AM
[B
I had to re-tube the amp and it didn't sound the same after that. I got another one and after time, another re-tube and the amp tone went away. I guess the load just didn't match properly. [/B] You have to rebias the amps after re-tubeing. A tech can do it for you in a quarter of an hour!

Believe me, treat your Marshall right and it´s a friend for life. Three of mine are from 1971, nuff said??

jacksmar
01-13-2005, 11:17 AM
http://www.geofex.com/

I've had all this electronics training and didn’t consider the bias because I was buying matched pairs of output tubes. Maybe in passing that might have been the problem. The Q value of the matched tubes should have allowed the same bias current to the output transformer. I didn't place any mods on the Marshall's because when I found one that sounded the way I wanted it to, I was set. There’s only been one guitar shop that I used to trust the bias setup to and that was The Guitar Emporium in Louisville, KY. It turns out that my bass player at the time had a kid that worked in his dad's electronics shop that was better than the guitar shop. I found this out when a JCM 900 4500 head went south. Even after the repair the tone wasn't the same. The head was much better for lead, but lost some of the presence for rhythm.

Carvin still has a shop in West Hollywood as it turns out. I plan to spend a good deal of time there. I need some new shirts so I can get them at Déjà Vu.

I've borrowed the Vai amp for so many things I have to get my own. The JSX amp sounds good too. I just haven't gotten used to it yet.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to use a Marshall for rhythm and recording. The tone can't be duplicated. I want the lead to sound as smoothe as Vai and as hectic as Eddie. The Carvin Vai head has that advantage over Marshall on the lead. Even as I say this, my guess is I'll still have my JCM 2000 for lead backup. Some things never change.

:)

GAR
01-13-2005, 03:34 PM
huhuhhhuhhh...

If you are coming from so far away you should PM me in Feb when you come out.

Bring your guitar and I'll put a little secret-something under your pickguard I guarantee nobody else has out.

GAR
01-13-2005, 03:37 PM
(I'm just not going to talk him out of the deal he's so set on making..)

We can preach Marshall all we want in here, but if he likes what he hears locally and it brings about more of the desire to play because he is happy with his sound, that is the amp he should have.

Personal philosophy only.. your mileage may vary.

Denny
01-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
You have to rebias the amps after re-tubeing. A tech can do it for you in a quarter of an hour!

Believe me, treat your Marshall right and it´s a friend for life. Three of mine are from 1971, nuff said??

Those Old Marshall and also Fender Amp's sound fucking BEAUTIFUL.

I have 2 Channel 50 Watt Soldano. It just ROCKS, man.

IMO, The Marshall SLP's from '66 to '75.

The Marshall 50 watt JMP 1,2,3 heads from the Early 70's.

The Fender Twin Reverb Deluxe('60's)

and the American made Soldano's are the best fucking Amps money can buy.

BrownSound1
01-15-2005, 12:58 AM
I have yet to see an amp that didn't need biasing after putting tubes in, matched pairs or not. I don't care for these amps that have a fixed bias either, because tubes sets are as individual as people are...it is just the nature of the beast.

Denny
01-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
I have yet to see an amp that didn't need biasing after putting tubes in, matched pairs or not. I don't care for these amps that have a fixed bias either, because tubes sets are as individual as people are...it is just the nature of the beast.

Soldano's don't have a FIXED bias but they don't need re-biased after you re-valve them.

GAR
01-15-2005, 08:35 PM
You do if you fry 'em with a Variac.

spanishfly48
01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
couldn't you just bye one of the vintage series 1959SLP as thats what eddie used??? they sell it now on their site...
http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/vintage/1959slp.html

ELVIS
01-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I have one of the reissues and two vintage Super Leads, a '69 and a '73...

They all sound totally different, but the reissue sounds nothing like the vintage amps...

ELVIS
01-21-2005, 06:30 PM
http://www.giveyourdreamswings.com/Sandcastling/2002/CarryingATune/large2.jpg

:elvis:

guitarboy5150
01-22-2005, 10:50 AM
taken from eddievanhalen.com

Hey Andre, thought I would give you a heads up, and put the RUMOR to rest that Van Halen and Marshall are designing a new amp. This is straight from Jim Marshall's mouth.. " laughs " No Eddie and I have nothing in the works, I havent even spoken with him in years " " I've seen some of the hype that's out there, they even had prices mentioned " " if you want that style of amp, take a look at that one right there " He pointed to a 1959 SLP reissue. He didnt sound like a political recording machine, he was very plesant and friendly. Plus there was about 10 people at the Marshall exhibt at the time, so he wasnt swamped. Andre I did'nt know where to post this info, so I thought I'd let you make the desision.

Dave
www.spacetape.com

Denny
01-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I have one of the reissues and two vintage Super Leads, a '69 and a '73...

They all sound totally different, but the reissue sounds nothing like the vintage amps...

That's not FUCKING important, dude.

You have a Bible!

Panamark
01-26-2005, 03:22 AM
Ive been looking at the reissue plexis.

Seems a lot of people reckon they dont sound the same as the
originals... Marshall recently released a hand-wired series to try
and grab some of the potential buyers who are seeking these
older heads...

I would be interested in hearing this EVH/Marshall effort, if true..