• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Howard Dean for DNC chair!

I'm Running

As I have traveled across our country, I have talked to thousands of people who are working for change in their own communities about the power of politics to make a difference in their own lives and in the lives of others. Every group I have spoken to, I encouraged them to stand up for what they believe and to get involved in the electoral process—because the only sure way to make difference is to step up and run for office yourself.

Today, I'm announcing my candidacy for the Chairmanship of the Democratic National Committee.

The Democratic Party needs a vibrant, forward-thinking, long-term presence in every single state and we must be willing to contest every race at every level. We will only win when we show up and fight for the issues important to all of us.

Another integral part of our strategy must be cultivating the party's grassroots. Our long term success depends on all of us taking an active role in our party and in the political process, by volunteering, going door to door and taking the Democratic message into every community, and by organizing at the local level. After all, new ideas and new leaders don't come from consultants; they come from communities.

As important as organization is, it alone can no longer win us elections. Offering a new choice means making Democrats the party of reform—reforming America's financial situation, reforming our electoral process, reforming health care, reforming education and putting morality back in our foreign policy. The Democratic Party will not win elections or build a lasting majority solely by changing its rhetoric, nor will we win by adopting the other side's positions. We must say what we mean—and mean real change when we say it.

But most of all, together, we have to rebuild the American community. We will never succeed by treating our nation as a collection of separate regions or separate groups. There are no red states or blues states, only American states. And we must talk to the people in all of these states as members of one community.

That word—'values'—has lately become a codeword for appeasement of the right-wing fringe. But when political calculations make us soften our opposition to bigotry, or sign on to policies that add to the burden of ordinary Americans, we have abandoned our true values.

We cannot let that happen. And we cannot just mouth the words. Our party must speak plainly and our agenda must clearly reflect the socially progressive, fiscally responsible values that bring our party—and the vast majority of Americans—together.

All of this will require both national perspective and local experience. I know what it's like to lead hands-on at the state level and I know what it's like to run for national office.

With your help, this past election season, Democracy for America, already started creating the kind of organization the Democratic Party can be. This past election cycle, we endorsed over 100 candidates at all levels of government—from school board to U.S. Senate. We contributed almost a million dollars to nearly 750 candidates around the country and raised millions of dollars for many more candidates.

Together, we helped elect a Democratic governor in Montana, a Democratic mayor of Salt Lake County, Utah and an African American woman to the bench in Alabama. Fifteen of the candidates we endorsed had never run for office before—and won.

I also have experience building and managing a local party organization. My career started as Democratic Party chair in Chittenden County, Vermont. I then ran successful campaigns: for state legislature, lieutenant governor and then governor. In my 11-year tenure as governor, I balanced the state's budget every year.

I served as chair of both the National Governors' Association and the Democratic Governors' Association (DGA). And as chair of the DGA, I helped recruit nearly 20 governors that won—even in states like Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Mississippi.

All of these experiences have only reaffirmed what I know to be true. There is only one party that speaks to the hopes and dreams of all Americans. It is the party you have already given so much to. It is the Democratic Party.

We can win elections only by standing up for what we believe.

Thank you and I look forward to listening to your concerns in the weeks ahead.

link
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

DEAN FOR DNC CHAIR

By Steve Cobble
    PDA Political Advisor
    Progressive Democrats of America was founded in 2004 to transform the Democratic Party and our country. We seek to build a party and government controlled by citizens, not corporate elites-with policies that serve the broad public interest, not just private interests.

On Wednesday morning, November 3rd, even as George W. Bush was claiming victory,
    Progressive Democrats of America (PDA) launched two bold “fight-back” initiatives:

(1) PDA immediately joined the “Ohio vote count” fight, which led to the historic
    January 6th challenge by Rep. Conyers, Rep. Tubbs-Jones, Sen. Boxer, and friends;
    and
    (2) PDA launched its own “Draft Dean for DNC Chair” effort along with Grassroots for
    America and PDA board member Pam Paul who was instrumental in connecting PDA with
    the Dean netroots and the current Dean staff.

PDA’s leadership also sent a letter to Governor Dean encouraging him to run, and to
    keep the energy alive that the Dean, Kucinich and Sharpton campaigns had injected
    into the 2004 campaign. Just last week, PDA was introduced to the DFA’s January
    MeetUps, so we could continue to work closely together for change. (And it was at
    PDA's founding convention in July, of course, that PDA brought together Dennis
    Kucinich, Howard Dean, John Conyers, & Barbara Lee in Roxbury, MA to help keep
    progressive grassroots energy alive for the future.)

Now we are on the verge of helping “the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party” to
    take a giant step forward by electing former Vermont Governor Howard Dean as the new
    Chair of the Democratic National Committee next month.

The importance of this potential victory can not be overstated. Electing Governor
    Dean as Chair of the DNC will be a victory for reform, for the internet, for small
    donor fundraising, for volunteer action, for antiwar politics, for standing up and
    fighting back, and for progressive values.

Howard Dean is the only candidate running for DNC chair who is a progressive
    reformer, opposed the war in Iraq, raised millions and millions of dollars from
    small donors, has both held executive office and practiced internet-based “netroots”
    activism in his campaign, and who believes in change from the grassroots/netroots
    up.

Howard Dean is not afraid to fight back when the GOP cheats, slanders, and distorts.
    Howard Dean can handle the TV disinformers, the talk radio thugs, the Freeper
    punks, and whatever Swift Boat-type liars the RNC drags out for their next round of
    dirty tricks.

And amazingly, even though the Democratic Party is overwhelmingly opposed to the war
    in Iraq (especially the way the Bush cabal has handled it), pro-choice (particularly
    when the next Bush Supreme Court appointee will put the right to choose in
    jeopardy), ready to defend Social Security (the FDR rock upon which the New Deal
    Democratic Party was built), and solidly for universal health care (an area where
    Dean had marked success as Governor of Vermont) only Howard Dean among the current
    serious DNC candidates is on the “Wellstone side” of all these issues.

Oh, one more thing. When Howard Dean became Governor of Vermont in 1991, it was a
    red state. In the previous president election, a Bush had defeated the Democratic
    nominee from Massachusetts 51-48%. But since Howard Dean became Governor, Vermont
    has gotten bluer and bluer. Which makes Governor Dean the only candidate running
    for DNC chair who actually led his state as it switched from red to solid blue…

When the netroots first began pushing “Dean for DNC”, one party hack was anonymously
    quoted attacking the idea, saying that it would be as “bad” as when Ron Brown ran
    for DNC Chair. Well, that's interesting disinformation. I was on Ron’s campaign
    for Chair, and here’s what happened:
    • *Ron Brown won, defeating 4 serious opponents.

*The Democrats held the House and Senate in ’90 & ’92.

*Bill Clinton won the Presidency in 1992.

If that’s our template for the next 4 years, the party hack’s comparison is not an
    attack, it’s a compliment!

Dean for DNC. It’s the next step for reformers. And PDA is ready to roll…
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

I sure hope it is Dean. ANY other choice would be another nail in their coffin. I don't think the party can survive much more mediocrity.

The Republicans feared Dean and that is why his character was assasinated by the 'liberal' media. His strong opinions and willingness to speak them were what caused that intital swelling of support he had.

Then there was the 'scream' which was aired more than the Zapruder Film. It was actually fascinating to watch the media tear down, in just a few days, all that Dean had accomplished.
      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The Democratic Party needs to take a proactive stance, a divergent one of setting America's future agenda. They can no longer be reactive. The Democrats can no longer pander to this current Republican-lite, 30% less Republican, reduced Republican platform mentality which sells short the ideals of working people and adopts the securocrat mentality propagated by the current regime.

I am happy to see Howard Dean in the DNC Chairmanship, because he represents a divergent stratagem from the status quo we have been conditioned to expect from the Democratic leadership. He will be a welcome change indeed. I think he will bring both energy and resolve to the position, not to mention new ideas!

Congratulations Chairman Dean.
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-12-2005, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• diamondD
          Veteran
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

I am happy to see Howard Dean in the DNC Chairmanship, because he represents a divergent stratagem from the status quo we have been conditioned to expect from the Democratic leadership. He will be a welcome change indeed. I think he will bring both energy and resolve to the position, not to mention new ideas!

Congratulations Chairman Dean.
          You are aware that he still has to actually get it first aren't you?
          Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
            Indeed. From I've seen and read, it's far from a lock. Maybe if he actually gets in though, it'll actually be good for the Dems. We'll see.

Personally, here's my choice since he's done such a great job in the last two Presidential elections and the last mid-term election:

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
              Yes...No!...Yes! That is I read it, with my mind clouded by alcohol, but initially understood that Dean was a candidate for the position I went on to something else and saw Ford's intro which implies he is a virtual lock, so I edited my post. I then came back a third time to verify, and realized that I messed up after rereading it, but the 20 min. edit limited had expired. So I suck I guess.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                Maybe if he actually gets in though, it'll actually be good for the Dems. We'll see.
                I agree. Doesn't it also mean that as DNC chair, he's effectively prevented himself from running for president in 2008? That would be good for the Dems too.
                ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                  I agree. Doesn't it also mean that as DNC chair, he's effectively prevented himself from running for president in 2008? That would be good for the Dems too.
                  You may have a point there.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                    The Dems should clone Jesus Christ from DNA on the Shroud of Turin and run him in 2008. Surely he could beat Jeb Bush. You know Jesus gives better speeches than Gore and Kerry.

Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about this one, but I do dig ol Deanie....

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
                        The Dems should clone Jesus Christ from DNA on the Shroud of Turin and run him in 2008. Surely he could beat Jeb Bush. You know Jesus gives better speeches than Gore and Kerry.

This is what the neocons would do if Jesus was running.......
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT

The Rublublicans would attack him for being a pascifist-commie-pussy-fag! Karl Rove, spawn of Satan, would find a way after he could not tempt him for 40 days in the American (Red State) Southwest.

These guys would be first in line to play the part of the Roman Governor:

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Damn it Ford you beat me! You could almost hear the mad scramble to the picture archives on that one!

Comment

• diamondD
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

If you wanted to make irrelevant post on the subject...
                              Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

Working...