PDA

View Full Version : Bush Full of Shit on Social Security

Nickdfresh
01-12-2005, 04:06 PM
The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050112/1037440.asp)
Bush says fix Social Security promptly

Says it 'is going broke'; Schumer disagrees

By DOUGLAS TURNER
News Washington Bureau Chief
1/12/2005

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Tuesday said the Social Security System "is going broke" and needs to be fixed now, but Democrats, including Sen. Charles E. Schumer charged the White House has created a false crisis in an attempt to kill the program.
Schumer, D-N.Y., a member of the Finance Committee that will consider any changes to the system, said in an interview Bush is being influenced by "a group of ideologues who really want to undo Social Security."

"They don't like the fact there is a government program that is so successful. Privatization is a euphemism for killing it."

Bush, at a White House event, predicted he will be able to convince skeptics that creating private investment accounts is the way to do it.

"Most younger people in America don't think they'll see a dime," Bush said, kicking off what will be a series of appearances by his top officials to help convince the public and lawmakers that the retirement system needs fixing.

Any move to change the program will carry massive political impact. In Erie County alone, more than 188,000 people receive some form of Social Security, according to census data made available by Schumer's office.

Some House Republicans were reported worried that trying to change a benefit package used by 48 million Americans could cost them their majority in 2006.

Rep. Jack Kingston, R-Ga., said more than 15 House Republicans are fearful of a backlash prompted by Bush's initiative. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., warned that tampering with Social Security could cost the GOP its House majority in the 2006 elections.

Schumer said his contacts on Wall Street are "very leery of any program that borrows another $2 trillion, which is what this privatization would cost."

"That would send interest rates so sky high that it would do far more harm to the economy than any good it would do (the financial community.)

"They don't need it, and they are very lukewarm about it."

Bush has not specified exactly how he wants the system changed. He is likely to back something close to the recommendation of the 2001 commission report urging that 2 percentage points of the total 12.6 percent payroll tax for Social Security be set aside for private investment accounts.

Bush told the Wall Street Journal he will try to provide political cover for those in Congress who support overhaul and make it politically risky to oppose.

"My attitude is once we assure the seniors who receive Social Security today that everything is fine I think we've got a shot to get something done," Bush said.

Schumer and other Democrats who lashed out at Bush had no recommendations on how to retain the system's solvency. They said their first task was to examine in detail what Bush actually asks Congress to do.

Social Security is projected to start paying out more in benefits than it collects in taxes in 2018, according to Social Security trustees, and can pay full promised benefits only until 2042.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has projected that the program will be solvent until 2052.

Schumer, who will head the Democrats' 2006 Senate campaign, said the administration doesn't "want to fix it. They have manufactured a crisis."

"What other business or government would put at the top of its agenda a plan for a problem that doesn't start to bite until 2042?" he said.

Under the commission plan, benefits could be cut for today's future recipients by up to 40 percent to finance privatization," said Rep. Sander Levin of Michigan, the top Democrat on the House Social Security subcommittee.

"Personal investment accounts don't save Social Security, they dismantle Social Security," said Barbara Kennelly, a former Democratic congresswoman from Connecticut, who now heads the National Committee to Preserve Social Security.

News wire services and Washington Bureau Assistant Patti Truant contributed to this article.

e-mail: dturner@buffnews.com

Nickdfresh
01-12-2005, 04:46 PM
What? I thought Privatizing SS was a great plan to get government off our backs according to some of you. No conservatives will step forward to stand up for your fearless leader's plan to further deficit spend in order to privatize SS?

You guys are being pussies!

DEMON CUNT
01-12-2005, 04:54 PM
How dare you question The Great George W. Bush, Vessel of God!

http://img.heartlight.org/200302/20030220_pftn-bush-large.jpg

BigBadBrian
01-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Damn Nick, is that all you do all damn day long? Cut and paste articles from the Internet? Don't you have a fucking job? :rolleyes:

DEMON CUNT
01-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Damn Nick, is that all you do all damn day long? Cut and paste articles from the Internet? Don't you have a fucking job?

The ROTH ARMY Spam Master General speaks!

Sgt Schultz
01-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
What? I thought Privatizing SS was a great plan to get government off our backs according to some of you. No conservatives will step forward to stand up for your fearless leader's plan to further deficit spend in order to privatize SS?

Yes I votd for Bush, and i am a pussy. A big fat hairy juicy one and I need a douche i think. Shame on Bush for wanting to allow me to put a partial amount of my own money into a savings account or mutual fund.

Nickdfresh
01-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Yes I votd for Bush, and i am a pussy. A big fat hairy juicy one and I need a douche i think. Shame on Bush for wanting to allow me to put a partial amount of my own money into a savings account or mutual fund.

That could wipped out in the stock market, but that NEVER happens anymore.

And isn't our deficit big enough (like approaching $8 billion).
Is deficit spending fiscally conservative? We are in a war and Bush wants to fund something else.

Nickdfresh
01-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Damn Nick, is that all you do all damn day long? Cut and paste articles from the Internet? Don't you have a fucking job? :rolleyes:

I read the local paper this morning and posted it form work. Don't you have an Oliver North or David Limbaugh article to write a paper on or something? When is your Ann Coulter book report due?;)

DEMON CUNT
01-12-2005, 05:25 PM
I'd like to invest all of my SS in ENRON!

I hear that they are set to kick ass stock market style! I'm gonna fucking retire is style, yo!

Nickdfresh
01-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
I'd like to invest all of my SS in ENRON!

I hear that they are set to kick ass stock market style! I'm gonna fucking retire is style, yo!

"You sound like a fine young man from California! Would like to switch over to our natural gas plan? We'll save you money!"

BITEYOASS
01-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

All privatization of SS does is to have us under the whim of risky entreprenuers. Gee didn't we try this privatization stuff before in the 1920's, wonder what happened with that? What's next? lower the minimum wage and bring back child labor?

Nickdfresh
01-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Neo Cons hate the New Deal! And they are willing to sell your children down the river to destroy its fundamental legislation in an ideological pissing match.