PDA

View Full Version : Lions set to release Joey Harrington?

POJO_Risin
01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
WTF does this mean?

the Lions are denying it...but the rumor persists...and they may be trying to get out of 8 mill in bonuses...but would still take the hit against the cap...

decision coming soon...I still think he could be good....

Joey Harrington's career as a Detroit Lion could be ending sooner than expected, according to a Booth Newspapers report.

Sources close to the situation say Detroit is pondering whether or not to release the quarterback in late February, before he is due to receive a $3 million roster bonus.
Harrington is also scheduled to make almost $5 million with the Lions for the 2005 season in addition to the scheduled bonus.

Broadcast reports have the Lions denying that they intend to release Harrington.

Harrington's status in the Detroit franchise has been a subject of great debate. Detroit president Matt Millen would like to bring Harrington back, but the team's offensive coaches reportedly would like to go in another direction.

"That decision hasn't been made yet," said a Detroit source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "We're looking at all the options."

Former offensive coordinator Sherman Lewis, who was forced out of his position after the regular season ended, wrote letters to owner William Clay Ford and Millen, among others, saying that the Lions would never win with Harrington at quarterback.

The Lions staff is expected to meet several times in the next few weeks to discuss Harrington's future. Although money will be an issue, it should not be the deciding factor one way or the other.

One factor in the decision will be what other options the Lions would have. Mike McMahon, the backup last season, doesn't appear to be in the running for the 2005 spot.

After 44 career starts and three years, Harrington hasn't lived up to the billing of being the third overall pick in the 2002 draft.

As the Lions continue to debate the future of Harrington, one thing appears certain. If Harrington returns, he will not have his contract restructured. Harrington has offered to get his deal re-done but the Lions aren't interested.

If Harrington were to play the 2005 season with Detroit, his salary cap number would be just under $10 million. The Lions can absorb that for this year and also make it easier for them to release Harrington next season (for a cap hit of less than $4 million).

If the Lions were to restructure Harrington's deal, however, and then want to cut him next year, the cap hit would be closer to $8 million.

WARF
01-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Gimme a fuckin' break....
Harrington hasn't had enough time in Detriot to develop!
He lost his star receiver Charles Rogers for two staright years...

POJO_Risin
01-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Oh fuck that...it's not Rogers being hurt that's made him suck...

it's 1 of 2 things...

1. He sucks...

2. His line sucks...

Rogers hasn't helped...but that's not the sole reason...

like I said...he could be good...

but when you are picked #3...and have been starting for 3 years...you should have produced by now...

WARF
01-12-2005, 07:11 PM
I think they should give me one more season.
And your right the o-line is fuckin' terrible in Detriot...

WARF
01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Shit... I was just lookin at his stats.... they're not great but... his QB rating has improved by 20 points since his rookie year... and he had only twelve picks this year.... compared to 22 in 2003... I like harrington... he's gonna be even better next year if they improve their o-line and Rogers coming back... hell... Kevin Jones is gonna break out next year too!

POJO_Risin
01-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Hell...Jones broke out this year...

he's the real deal...but defenses will play them different...

if they have Rogers back...and can't double Williams...and then they won't be able to stack 8 in the box...

Harrington should...better...get the job done...

lmfao....if he's still playing for them...

ALinChainz
01-12-2005, 07:54 PM
The line isn't as bad as it looks.

Kevin Jones broke out, led the NFL in rushing over the last 7 weeks with 800 + yards. Before Mooch got here, the offense was more dink and dunk, he got rid of the ball quickly, most of the time too quickly, hence the low number of sacks. This year he was asked to push it more downfield, but was much to gun shy, held the ball and TOOK the sack. Could the line be better ? Sure.

Damien Woody wasn't in shape all year and was fined a few times. The thing thatgets people about Joey is his lack of fire when they lost. I thought he should have another year also, his numbers were decent and improved, except for the yardage, should have been more. But a lot of injury at the skill positions were a hindrance to say the least.

This is just as much about money also I believe. I'm not sold on him, maybe he could benefit from one more season. Brees blossomed this season, his 4th, but impending free agency has the effect on a lot of players.

I thnk Joey heard the rumblings and that is why he offered to restructure, but the club isn't really interested. Personally, they have a plan B in mind if they cut him loose, one of the veterans out there or Brees. This was a surprise to most Lion fans today.

ALinChainz
01-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Harrington reacts to Kowalski's story
On 760 WJR Detroit, Mitch Albom got ahold of the man at the eye of this hurricane, Joey Harrington. Here is a transcript of what Harrington had to say about today's story.

I got a call from Coach Mariucci and Matt Millen, both this morning saying exactly that. Obviously I didn't read the article, and had no idea it came out. But I got a call saying that there was some article written, and a wildfire had spread. They just wanted to call tell me they didn't say any of the things, the stuff that's being reported or written was completely untrue.

And I'm glad they did it, because if I had heard from another source -- since I don't read this stuff -- if I had heard from a friend or someone who read the article saying 'Hey Coach and Matt Millen said this about you' and I hadn't heard from them personally, my inclination would be to think that maybe they were thinking that. But they both called me, reassured me that there's no truth behind it. I believe them one hundred percent.

Co-host Ken Brown: Did they call collect?
JH: Call collect!? *Laughs* That's another issue.

Mitch Albom: So in other words they had to call you, tell you that there was this story, and in they had to tell you in the same conversation that there's no truth to it. Like they had to bring you the news, and deny the news at the same time.

JH: Exactly. That's pretty much the extent of it. I try to stay away from newspapers during the season, but especially in the offseason I didn't expect a story like that.

MA: And when you hung up the phone, what was your immediate emotion? 'What was that about?'

JH: That's kind of ... (trails off) I was talking to Coach Mariucci, and was telling me all this stuff, and I said 'Coach, I don't care. Why are you telling me this?' 'Oh, I'm telling you this because I want you to hear it from me', and after I thought about it I thought -- yeah, that's really cool. That's really nice of them. And it actually did help out a lot. I don't care what the report is about, but I do care that Coach and Matt Millen thought enough to call me and clear things up with me before I thought otherwise.

Print | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

The Lions fire back
As Tom Kowalski suggested, the Lions have issued a press release denying everything in today's MLive.com story. The story suggested that former offensive coordinator Sherm Lewis was forced out, and on his way out he wrote a scathing letter saying the Lions would never win with Joey Harrington at QB.

Here is the Lions' response -- from Matt Millen and Steve Mariucci:

"We have absolutely no intention of releasing Joey Harrington and there has been no organizational discussion about cutting Joey as suggested in the article. Joey had his best season this past year and we firmly believe that he will continue to improve. We consider the report baseless and untrue."

The release also quotes Sherm Lewis denying the story, and refutes points presented in the story: there is no bonus due to Harrington in early 2005, Lewis didn't send a letter to anyone within the organization, and Lewis was not forced to retire. Here is Lewis' quote.

"The suggestion that I sent letters to Mr. Ford, Bill Ford and Matt (Millen) regarding Joey (Harrington) is ludicrous. I did not send any letters as indicated. To insinuate that my retirement is anything but my desire is equally absurd. No one in the organization knew anything about my retirement until the day after the Tennessee game when I informed Steve (Mariucci) of my intent to retire and spend more time with my family."

Kowalski stands by his story, with one clarification -- that the roster bonus will be paid in July, not the reported March.

Another source: Millen wanted Harrington
One note that I haven't blogged yet from Sunday's Detroit News that is relevant to today's news was something that Kowalski has been saying for years, but finally has another source: Millen made the call on Harrington. Here's what the News had in the Vartan Kupelian and Mike O'Hara column.

It wasn't the Fords or Tobin who made the call on Harrington, (Dan) Miller (Fox 2 Detroit's sports director) says. It was Millen, which the Lions president had insisted all along.

Miller used to host a weekly radio show with Millen long before either landed in Detroit, and they've maintained a good relationship.
"It was two weeks before the draft," Miller said earlier this week. "I called Matt and asked him who the Lions were going to draft."

The proviso was that Miller was going to be out of the country, and Millen's answer was safe with him.

Millen said he was going to draft Harrington, the quarterback from Oregon, Miller said.

Here are a couple of items of note not related to today's Harrington-could-be-cut story. Killer briefly mentions in his story that the Lions have contacted the 49ers to talk to their coordinator.

The Lions are searching for a new offensive coordinator and received permission from the San Francisco 49ers to talk to their offensive coordinator, Ted Tollner. Other candidates are believed to still be coaching in the playoffs and the Lions can't approach them until their teams are knocked out of the Super Bowl chase.

On Sports Radio 1130 Detroit, Killer confirms that one of the candidates they want to interview isn't Marty Mornhinweg -- but he doesn't want to say who the candidates are in order to protect his source.

The Sacramento Bee confirms the interest in Tollner.

The Miami Dolphins have asked for and received permission to talk to defensive-line coach Dan Quinn about a position there, and the Detroit Lions have done the same with offensive coordinator Ted Tollner.

Detroit coach Steve Mariucci brought Tollner to San Francisco as quarterbacks coach when Mariucci was coaching the 49ers.

Pro Football Weekly says the Lions weren't sold on Shaun Rogers until about midway through last season, and he was justly rewarded with a massive contract. Here are a couple of PFW quotes:

“When he’s playing well, he can be an unstoppable guy,” Lions pro personnel director Sheldon White told PFW. “You usually find a big guy that can hold the point, two-gap really well, but doesn’t do anything tackle-to-tackle. Bill Parcells mentioned it: This guy can run, is athletic, can pass-rush, changes directions well. He’s just a big athlete. He’s a phenomenal talent that way. His presence opens up everything for the other guys.”

Killer talks more about The Story
Kowalski talked with Sean Baligian on It Is What It Is on Sports Radio 1130 Detroit. Here are the brief notes of the discussion.

- There are two factions, those who think Harrington can do it, and those who think he can’t
- Millen stands behind Harrington
- A decision will be made in the next five weeks
- Could be a June 1 cut, after they have a replacement on the roster – if the bonus is in July instead of the reported March
- Killer thinks he will stay because there is no sure fire replacement and Millen makes the decision (He likes Harrington)
- Friction in the front office over difference of opinion
- Sherm Lewis wasn’t a Harrington fan, didn’t think he had the intangibles – and it wasn’t a secret
- Lions are going to put out a release saying Killer is totally wrong
- Killer is fine with the Lions saying he’s wrong, he stands by his story
- Lions want to make sure they make the right decision
- Don’t know what options are out there at QB, keeping their options open
- Lions are probably going to make a decision after they get the new OC
- The coordinator they want is still in the playoffs
- Cap hit if they release Harrington (Killer trying to nail down details) is 2 million this year and 4 million next year

Thanks to Jeff Cottrell for the notes.

Killer's forum update; audio notes
If you're not a regular forum-reader, today is the day to start. Here is Tom's update on today's BLOCKBUSTER Joey Harrington-could-be-released story that Killer put in our Lions forum.

TomKowalski: i fully expect the lions to completely deny this story and say they never considered releasing harrington ... they may also deny there was ever a letter ...

there is one correction to the story, though ... harrington's roster bonus is to be paid in july, not march ... which further suggests (to me) that cutting him after june 1 makes it more plausible -- plus they could also have another qb in place ... but, like i said, i'm sure the lions will deny all of this ...

Here are audio notes of Tom's impromptu interview with Jamie and Brady on Sports Radio 1130 Detroit. Kowalski will also be on with Sean Baligian's It Is What It Is show at 10:35 a.m.

- Tom in surprised, but doesn’t think they will cut him
- Not positive about what they will get, they may have to go to the 3rd or 4th option
- Comes down to whether or not Harrington can take them to the Super Bowl
- Offensive coaching staff wants someone else
- Sherm Lewis sent a letter to the Lions brass saying that Harrington won’t be the guy
- Millen is open and listening, but it’s his final decision
- No power struggle internally, the Fords love Millen and he’s in charge
- Offense will look different next year, more aggressive
- Good shape cap wise
- A lot of the staff has felt this way about Harrington for a long time
- Should be an interesting training camp
- OC they are targeting are still coaching in the playoffs

Thanks to Jeff Cottrell for the audio notes

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/

Lou
01-12-2005, 09:49 PM
I think Harrington can be a solid QB in this league...to outright cut him is pretty stupid. Unless the Lions want ANOTHER year of losing.

POJO_Risin
01-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Hmmmm...the Lions can only win WITH Harrington? Christ...you may be the only person on the planet that thinks that...

POJO_Risin
01-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Personally...I don't think they should cut him...I agree...

but...I do think if they dump him...they can get someone better...

ALinChainz
01-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Nothing in the Detroit papers, at all.

Local paper here has the Kowalski story.

I would grade Harrington an incomplete because he as coached by Marty Mornigwheg (sp) and then Mooch, has had 2 versions of the West Coast in 3 years, and inconsistent health with the young receivers and runningbacks. He hasn't had any solid veteran back-up (Detmer, Mirer) to tutor him, and the line won't be the same again next season.

It's about the cap hit and the Lions want to be damn positive he is the guy. From Fox Sports tonight, they are going to want to restructure, which he had said he was willing to do, but also hinted at an extension.

Tough spot.

ALinChainz
01-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Be interesting to see if San Diego franchises Brees.

Lou
01-12-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't think they'll get anyone better, and I still think he's shown enough that he should be the starting QB until they DO find someone better. If they cut him without a plan to get someone better, it'll be yet another losing season. That's all I'm saying.

ALinChainz
01-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Gotta have a plan B if they cut him.

I heard 2 names so far ... Warner and Garcia.

Lou
01-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Garcia sucks anymore. Warner might have something left in him based on this year. Why the Giants benched him when the team started out 5-1, was still 5-3 and VERY much in playoff positioning is a mystery to me.

ALinChainz
01-12-2005, 11:19 PM
It is and the word is that the Lions young offensive players should be a draw to a veteran QB.

Not sure if I'm fired up about either, but I wanna win, and am tired of waiting.

ALinChainz
01-13-2005, 08:32 PM
DREW SHARP: Cut Joey now? It makes no sense

January 13, 2005

BY DREW SHARP
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

There was unity in the Lions' denial of a report published Wednesday that claimed they're discussing the possibility, albeit extremely remote, of cutting bait in the Joey Harrington experiment in the next couple of months.

Matt Millen and Steve Mariucci stood shoulder-to-shoulder in a team statement conveying their outrage.

Acrimony makes for a nice smokescreen.

But don't let the vehemence fool you. The divisions regarding Harrington might not be as strong as outgoing offensive coordinators firing off critical letters to ownership, but understand that there is a distinct difference of opinion regarding Harrington's development.

There is no rift between Millen and Mariucci, but rather a spirited debate on the pluses and minuses of their young quarterback.

Harrington remains the most polarizing figure in the organization, and the biggest problem in this ongoing debate is that there's no middle ground with this guy. Either you like him or you don't. Either you believe in him or you won't. Nobody can come to a consensus regarding Harrington, fueling the notion that the Lions might somehow consider releasing him, thus rendering the third selection overall in the 2002 draft a bust of biblical proportions.

Millen likes Harrington, but doesn't trust the offense. Mariucci likes the offense, but doesn't trust Harrington.

When in doubt, follow the money. And should a battle ensue over Harrington's future, there are 15 million reasons why Mariucci would win final approval.

That's how much money is left on his five-year, $25-million deal.

The odds are against Harrington succeeding here due to a question of confidence. His numbers improved this season. He completed more passes and tossed fewer interceptions, but relative to the overall numbers surge in the pass-crazed NFL this season, any improvement was negligible. The No. 1 objective of this season was solidifying an opinion, one way or the other, on Harrington, and the apparent divisions underscore the continued uncertainty.

The Lions must keep all their options open when approaching the free-agent shopping season, but cutting Harrington defies all logic.

What's gained?

Regardless of what you think about his long-range future, Harrington has earned the opportunity to fight it out next summer with a proven competitor. It was a mistake anointing Harrington as the unchallenged leader of this team as a rookie rather than entertaining the possibility of the two most despised words in the Lion vocabulary -- "quarterback controversy."

But nobody wants competition these days. Kurt Warner doesn't want to compete. He wants to start. Why should Matt Hasselbeck come here and fight for playing time when he could go to a team where his role is predetermined?

And, please, stop salivating over Drew Brees.

San Diego isn't letting the NFL comeback player of the year get away. The Chargers will tag Brees with the franchise label and give him a one-year, $9-million deal and hope this season wasn't a fluke.

Jeff Garcia was once Mariucci's guy in San Francisco and reportedly has worn out his welcome after one season in Cleveland. He would be available should the Browns' new coaching staff, whenever they arrive, cut him. But Garcia's career is on fumes, barely recognizable from his Pro Bowl days of a few years ago. He has earned more acclaim recently for passes thrown to Playboy bunnies than wide receivers.

The Lions aren't expected to bring back Mike McMahon and Rick Mirer, and jettisoning Harrington would mean bringing in three new quarterbacks next season. That's competitive suicide for a coach who desperately needs a playoff appearance next season to salvage a crumbling reputation.

It's no secret Mariucci isn't entirely sold on Harrington. He pretty much shoved him face-first under the bus when looking for reasons as to why the offense stuttered to a halt in the second half.

Who knows? Perhaps that's part of his grand scheme of molding a winning quarterback.

But the first intangible of a winning quarterback is breeding confidence in others, and Harrington hasn't accomplished that after 44 starts. It doesn't warrant cutting him right now, but it justifies the doubts.

Contact DREW SHARP at 313-223-4055 or dsharp@freepress.com.

ALinChainz
01-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Lions deny discussing releasing Harrington

January 13, 2005

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA and CURT SYLVESTER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERS

Quarterback Joey Harrington isn't going anywhere, and former offensive coordinator Sherm Lewis retired on his own.

The Lions wanted to make that clear Wednesday, after Booth Newspapers reported they were considering releasing Harrington and Lewis had been forced out.

Coach Steve Mariucci briefly responded to the report before boarding a flight to Detroit from San Francisco, where he scouted practices for Saturday's East-West Shrine Game.

Asked if there was any chance the Lions were going to cut Harrington, Mariucci said, "I don't know of any scenario that would cause us to do that. He's with us."

Asked if there had been any discussion of releasing Harrington, Mariucci said, "What? How? How can I best say this to you? Joey is our quarterback. Enough said."

Mariucci and president Matt Millen called Harrington, who is in Oregon, to deny the report personally.

Harrington, interviewed by phone on "The Mitch Albom Show" on WJR-AM (760), said: "They said there was some article written and wildfire had spread, and they wanted to tell me they didn't say any of those things and the stuff that was being written or reported was absolutely untrue.

"And I'm glad they did it. If I'd heard from another source ... and I hadn't heard from them personally ... my inclination would be to think, 'You know, maybe they were thinking that.' But they both called me and reassured me that there's no truth behind it and I believe them 100 percent.

"... Coach Mariucci was telling me all these things and I said, 'Coach, I don't care. Why are you telling me all these things?' 'Oh, I'm telling you all this because I want you to hear it from me.' After I thought about it, I said, 'Yeah, that's cool. That's nice of him.' "

Mariucci and Millen also issued a statement refuting the report: "We have absolutely no intention of releasing Joey Harrington, and there has been no organizational discussion about cutting Joey as suggested in the article. Joey had his best season this past year, and we firmly believe that he will continue to improve. We consider the report baseless and untrue."

Booth reported the Lions were considering releasing Harrington in late February, before they had to pay him a $3-million roster bonus.

The Lions said there was no roster bonus due to Harrington in late February or early March.

Booth also reported Lewis was forced out and had written letters to Millen, owner William Clay Ford and vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. saying the Lions would never win with Harrington because he didn't have the intangibles.

The Lions said Lewis retired on his own after the season ended Jan. 2 at Tennessee and "no letters were sent from ... Lewis to anyone in the organization as suggested."

"The suggestion that I sent letters to Mr. Ford, Bill Ford and Matt regarding Joey is ludicrous," Lewis said in a statement. "I did not send any letters as indicated. To insinuate that my retirement is anything but my desire is equally absurd. No one in the organization knew anything about my retirement until the day after the Tennessee game, when I informed Steve of my intent to retire and spend more time with my family."

NOTEBOOK: Asked if a backup would be signed to help Harrington or to push him, Mariucci said, "Yes, and yes. Who that person is, I don't know yet." Backup Mike McMahon is unsigned, but the Lions would consider keeping him. ...

The Lions have received permission from the San Francisco 49ers to speak with offensive coordinator Ted Tollner. It is believed they also will consider members of their current staff, including quarterbacks coach Greg Olson, who called plays late in the season.

redblkwht
01-14-2005, 12:41 AM
I see him being dumped..
Like you guys said, in 3 years?
Favre didnt have anyone but sharpe in his
first 3..either you got it or you dont.
I see them trading or picking up a FA.
then pick up a rookie in the draft for the future.
I forsee the kid from USC going there, gut feeling.
or am i nuts? lmao ;)

redblkwht
01-14-2005, 12:44 AM
BTW, is he doing the draft this year or are we waiting
for his announcement..
on the other hand is he staying at USC?
too many brews? umm yeah. :gulp:
im off tomorrow, right on..

steve
01-14-2005, 09:54 AM
They could always pick up a nice solid veteren QB like Mark Brunnel.

ALinChainz
01-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Leinart still waiting, I think he's waiting to see if Pete Carroll gets the Niners job, who have the #1 pick overall.

DrMaddVibe
01-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Take Brad Johnson!

Please!

ALinChainz
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Here is a chat transcript with the guy who broke the story, from 1/12.

==================================================

Tom Kowalski chat transcript

Lions forum regulars were treated to an impromptu chat with Tom Kowalski the day he breaks the controversial story that the Lions are pondering whether to cut Joey Harrington. Keep your eyes on the forum for impromptu chat announcements. They could happen at any time.

TomKowalski HEY, ANYTHING HAPPENING TODAY?

Slick Why would they not restructure his deal if they kept him?

TomKowalski FELLAS, THEY DON'T WANT TO RESTRUCTURE BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO ADD MORE MONEY TO FUTURE YEARS ...

gino7 TOM..... they are reporting here in NY, on WFAN that Harrington to be cut

TomKowalski YES, SOME STATIONS ARE NOT GETTING IT RIGHT ... FIGURES ...

Cutback No kidding on the ...future years stuff. Why not just ask him to take a pay cut?

TomKowalski WHY WOULD HARRINGTON TAKE A PAY CUT?

Emkow so did Mariucci know about Sherm Lewis before Tennessee? I know it was obvious, but did he make that decision?

TomKowalski LOOK, LEWIS WAS BEING PHASED OUT AND HE KNEW IT ... THE STORY SAID HE WAS OFFIICALLY RETIRED ... I DIDN'T DISPUTE THAT ...

OldEnglishD Tom, were you at Northville Downs for this rumored episode with Sherm Lewis?

TomKowalski NO, I WASN'T AT NORTHVILLE DOWNS ... BUT IT'S INTERESTING THAT THERE'S OTHER "SMOKE'' TO THIS FIRE ...

ron Tom,....If one of your so-called sources for the column denied what you claim is happening regarding Harrington,would you call him out ?

TomKowalski MY SOURCES HAVEN'T FLINCHED ...

BigBob Killer, why not trade him?

TomKowalski THEY COULD TRADE HIM, THAT'S A POSSIBILITY TOO ... GUYS .. I SIMPLY SAID THEY ARE CONSIDERING RELEASING HIM, NOT THAT THEY WILL ... BUT BOY THE LIONS DIDNT' LIKE THAT ...

Emkow could the Sherm Lewis letter have been an email, so they weren't lying by saying he didn't write a letter? will you ever get your hands on the letter itself?

TomKowalski OK, HERE'S THE THING ON THE "LETTER .... FELLAS, I CAN'T PRODUCE THAT REPORT RIGHT NOW AND THE LIONS KNOW IT ... SO I EITHER REVEAL MY SOURCES OR I TAKE A HIT RIGHT NOW ... I'LL TAKE THE HIT

TomKowalski WE'LL SEE WHO'S RIGHT WHEN IT ALL WASHES OUT ...

Slick Yeah, I never thought they would have a response

TomKowalski FELLAS, THE LIONS ARE GOING TO DENY THIS TO THE HILT .. I KNEW THAT .. .WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S SUCH A BIG STORY ...

TommyTune roster bonus due in july

TomKowalski THE ROSTER BONUS IS DUE IN JULY ... THE LIONS OMMITTED THAT PART IN THEIR STATEMENT ... I ADMITTED I WAS WRONG ABOUT THAT ...

CouldWinSix TOM: You probably already covered this, but what is the advantage to denying it now?

TomKowalski FELLAS .. DON'T YOU THINK IT WAS INTERESTING THAT THEIR STATEMENT NEVER INCLUDED THE FACT THAT HARRINGTON WOULD BE THEIR STARTER IN 2005?

TomKowalski IT WAS JUST "HE HAD A GREAT YEAR" AND "HE'S IMPROVING'' ... DID YOU READ ANY REAL COMMITMENT TO HIM IN THAT STATEMENT? ... YEAH, ME EITHER ...

TomsSource Just that they're not releasing him...

TomKowalski NO, THEY SAID THEY HAD NO -- INTENTION -- OF RELEASING HIM ...

TomKowalski THINGS CHANGE QUICKLY, RIGHT?

gino7 Tom, whats your opinion on what Fat Mike Francesa is saying about the Lions cutting Harrington ?

TomKowalski FELLAS, THIS ISN'T A DEBATE OVER WHETHER HARRINGTON SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T BE CUT, TRADED, WHATEVER ... IT'S ABOUT THE LIONS CONSIDERING RELEASING HIM... IT'S ALL CONJECTURE AFTER THAT ...

TommyTune So what? They said they weren't going to release Morton because of the roster bonus and they did - it doesnt matter what they say or dont say... give me a break, Tom!!!

TomKowalski OH, RIGHT ... MORTON ... THANKS ... I MIGHT USE THAT ...

AlwayzRight Tom the LETTER ...either Sherms lying or your SOURCE is LYING... Who do YOU think is LYING????

TomKowalski FELLAS ... I BELIEVE IN MY SOURCES ...

Slick Will the Lions cut you off from here n out?

TomKowalski LOOK, THE LIONS ARE VERY PROFESSIONAL ... THEY PROBABLY WANT TO STRANGLE ME RIGHT NOW, BUT THEY WON'T TREAT ME MUCH DIFFERENT ...

mrlions30 TOM: If true, why didnt they play McMahon the last 3-4 games to get into the playoffs ?

TomKowalski LOOK, I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DIDN'T PLAY MCMAHON ...

Angrydriver Your story may have gotten some backs up against a wall...

TomKowalski HEY, I'M ON THE DEFENSIVE BIG TIME HERE ... THAT'S ALL RIGHT ... LIKE I SAID, I BELIEVE IN MY SOURCES ...

Triumphdog Tom, what would you like to see be done with Harrington?

TomKowalski FELLAS, I THINK HARRINGTON WILL BE BACK ... IT'S ULTIMATELY MILLEN'S CALL AND I THINK HE WANTS HIM BACK ...

ElectricLion Your sources seen the letter?

TomKowalski LIKE I SAID, I CAN'T PRODUCE THE REPORT ... IF YOU THINK I'M WRONG, THAT'S FINE ... WE'LL FIND OUT EVENTUALLY ...

ron Tom,do you like Garcia better than Harrington?

TomKowalski I THINK THEY'RE INTERESTED IN WARNER AND GARCIA -- TWO GUYS , THOUGH, WHO SAID THEY WANTED TO START ...

mrlions30 TOM: I give you credit...This story took HUGE NAD's to release.

TomKowalski LOOK, I'M SURE I'M GOING TO TOASTED OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS ... THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES ... I KNEW THIS STORY WOULD GENERATE SOME HEAT ...

StillLost Tom, is McMahon gone regardless, or does this potentially impact his situation?

TomKowalski YOU HEARD MOOCH ... AT HIS LAST PRESS CONFERENCE ... "DON'T WRITE OFF MIKE MCMAHON ... I LIKE WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE'' ...

ron Tom...Any other reporters reporting similar things privately?

TomKowalski HERE'S WHAT WILL BE INTERESTING ... WHICH MEDIA OUTLETS WILL SIMPLY REPEAT WHAT THE LIONS SAY AS TRUTH AND WHICH REALLY DO SOME DIGGING OF THEIR OWN ...
TomKowalski FELLAS ... I'VE GOT TO RUN ... SORRY TO BE BRIEF, BUT I WANTED TO TOUCH BASE ...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/stories/lions/20050112chat_transcript.html

Sarge's Little Helper
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Here is a chat transcript with the guy who broke the story, from 1/12.

Tom Kowalski chat transcript

Lions forum regulars were treated to an impromptu chat with Tom Kowalski the day he breaks the controversial story that the Lions are pondering whether to cut Joey Harrington. Keep your eyes on the forum for impromptu chat announcements. They could happen at any time.

TomKowalski HEY, ANYTHING HAPPENING TODAY?

Slick Why would they not restructure his deal if they kept him?

TomKowalski FELLAS, THEY DON'T WANT TO RESTRUCTURE BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO ADD MORE MONEY TO FUTURE YEARS ...

gino7 TOM..... they are reporting here in NY, on WFAN that Harrington to be cut

TomKowalski YES, SOME STATIONS ARE NOT GETTING IT RIGHT ... FIGURES ...

Cutback No kidding on the ...future years stuff. Why not just ask him to take a pay cut?

TomKowalski WHY WOULD HARRINGTON TAKE A PAY CUT?

Emkow so did Mariucci know about Sherm Lewis before Tennessee? I know it was obvious, but did he make that decision?

TomKowalski LOOK, LEWIS WAS BEING PHASED OUT AND HE KNEW IT ... THE STORY SAID HE WAS OFFIICALLY RETIRED ... I DIDN'T DISPUTE THAT ...

OldEnglishD Tom, were you at Northville Downs for this rumored episode with Sherm Lewis?

TomKowalski NO, I WASN'T AT NORTHVILLE DOWNS ... BUT IT'S INTERESTING THAT THERE'S OTHER "SMOKE'' TO THIS FIRE ...

ron Tom,....If one of your so-called sources for the column denied what you claim is happening regarding Harrington,would you call him out ?

TomKowalski MY SOURCES HAVEN'T FLINCHED ...

BigBob Killer, why not trade him?

TomKowalski THEY COULD TRADE HIM, THAT'S A POSSIBILITY TOO ... GUYS .. I SIMPLY SAID THEY ARE CONSIDERING RELEASING HIM, NOT THAT THEY WILL ... BUT BOY THE LIONS DIDNT' LIKE THAT ...

Emkow could the Sherm Lewis letter have been an email, so they weren't lying by saying he didn't write a letter? will you ever get your hands on the letter itself?

TomKowalski OK, HERE'S THE THING ON THE "LETTER .... FELLAS, I CAN'T PRODUCE THAT REPORT RIGHT NOW AND THE LIONS KNOW IT ... SO I EITHER REVEAL MY SOURCES OR I TAKE A HIT RIGHT NOW ... I'LL TAKE THE HIT

TomKowalski WE'LL SEE WHO'S RIGHT WHEN IT ALL WASHES OUT ...

Slick Yeah, I never thought they would have a response

TomKowalski FELLAS, THE LIONS ARE GOING TO DENY THIS TO THE HILT .. I KNEW THAT .. .WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S SUCH A BIG STORY ...

TommyTune roster bonus due in july

TomKowalski THE ROSTER BONUS IS DUE IN JULY ... THE LIONS OMMITTED THAT PART IN THEIR STATEMENT ... I ADMITTED I WAS WRONG ABOUT THAT ...

CouldWinSix TOM: You probably already covered this, but what is the advantage to denying it now?

TomKowalski FELLAS .. DON'T YOU THINK IT WAS INTERESTING THAT THEIR STATEMENT NEVER INCLUDED THE FACT THAT HARRINGTON WOULD BE THEIR STARTER IN 2005?

TomKowalski IT WAS JUST "HE HAD A GREAT YEAR" AND "HE'S IMPROVING'' ... DID YOU READ ANY REAL COMMITMENT TO HIM IN THAT STATEMENT? ... YEAH, ME EITHER ...

TomsSource Just that they're not releasing him...

TomKowalski NO, THEY SAID THEY HAD NO -- INTENTION -- OF RELEASING HIM ...

TomKowalski THINGS CHANGE QUICKLY, RIGHT?

gino7 Tom, whats your opinion on what Fat Mike Francesa is saying about the Lions cutting Harrington ?

TomKowalski FELLAS, THIS ISN'T A DEBATE OVER WHETHER HARRINGTON SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T BE CUT, TRADED, WHATEVER ... IT'S ABOUT THE LIONS CONSIDERING RELEASING HIM... IT'S ALL CONJECTURE AFTER THAT ...

TommyTune So what? They said they weren't going to release Morton because of the roster bonus and they did - it doesnt matter what they say or dont say... give me a break, Tom!!!

TomKowalski OH, RIGHT ... MORTON ... THANKS ... I MIGHT USE THAT ...

AlwayzRight Tom the LETTER ...either Sherms lying or your SOURCE is LYING... Who do YOU think is LYING????

TomKowalski FELLAS ... I BELIEVE IN MY SOURCES ...

Slick Will the Lions cut you off from here n out?

TomKowalski LOOK, THE LIONS ARE VERY PROFESSIONAL ... THEY PROBABLY WANT TO STRANGLE ME RIGHT NOW, BUT THEY WON'T TREAT ME MUCH DIFFERENT ...

mrlions30 TOM: If true, why didnt they play McMahon the last 3-4 games to get into the playoffs ?

TomKowalski LOOK, I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DIDN'T PLAY MCMAHON ...

Angrydriver Your story may have gotten some backs up against a wall...

TomKowalski HEY, I'M ON THE DEFENSIVE BIG TIME HERE ... THAT'S ALL RIGHT ... LIKE I SAID, I BELIEVE IN MY SOURCES ...

Triumphdog Tom, what would you like to see be done with Harrington?

TomKowalski FELLAS, I THINK HARRINGTON WILL BE BACK ... IT'S ULTIMATELY MILLEN'S CALL AND I THINK HE WANTS HIM BACK ...

ElectricLion Your sources seen the letter?

TomKowalski LIKE I SAID, I CAN'T PRODUCE THE REPORT ... IF YOU THINK I'M WRONG, THAT'S FINE ... WE'LL FIND OUT EVENTUALLY ...

ron Tom,do you like Garcia better than Harrington?

TomKowalski I THINK THEY'RE INTERESTED IN WARNER AND GARCIA -- TWO GUYS , THOUGH, WHO SAID THEY WANTED TO START ...

mrlions30 TOM: I give you credit...This story took HUGE NAD's to release.

TomKowalski LOOK, I'M SURE I'M GOING TO TOASTED OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS ... THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES ... I KNEW THIS STORY WOULD GENERATE SOME HEAT ...

StillLost Tom, is McMahon gone regardless, or does this potentially impact his situation?

TomKowalski YOU HEARD MOOCH ... AT HIS LAST PRESS CONFERENCE ... "DON'T WRITE OFF MIKE MCMAHON ... I LIKE WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE'' ...

ron Tom...Any other reporters reporting similar things privately?

TomKowalski HERE'S WHAT WILL BE INTERESTING ... WHICH MEDIA OUTLETS WILL SIMPLY REPEAT WHAT THE LIONS SAY AS TRUTH AND WHICH REALLY DO SOME DIGGING OF THEIR OWN ...
TomKowalski FELLAS ... I'VE GOT TO RUN ... SORRY TO BE BRIEF, BUT I WANTED TO TOUCH BASE ...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/stories/lions/20050112chat_transcript.html

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.