PDA

View Full Version : Keepers of the Metal Flame

Panamark
02-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Im up for a bit of new musical influx. Who would you cool cats recommend as new bands who are keeping the Metal flame alive ??

SilvioDante
02-07-2004, 09:03 AM
The Darkness.... I still can't figure out if they are a joke are not but who cares. Throw back to the hair band era. I like the CD everytime I hear it. The lead singer's falsetto is an acquired taste though...

alexpgrimes
02-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by SilvioDante
The Darkness.... I still can't figure out if they are a joke are not but who cares. Throw back to the hair band era. I like the CD everytime I hear it. The lead singer's falsetto is an acquired taste though... Yes I agree. The music is good. Just his falsetto voice and the way his gives the thumbs up make me cringe.

Golden AWe
02-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Try Finnish metal bands like Sentenced and Amorphis...especially a cd called "Tuonela" from Amorphis is excellent...

Coyote
02-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Im up for a bit of new musical influx. Who would you cool cats recommend as new bands who are keeping the Metal flame alive ??

Can't really answer that. Been gettin' into Motorhead lately... :gulp:

PHOENIX
02-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Danko Jones!

Panamark
02-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Guys, hows this, Ive never seen any of "The Darkness" before last night. I couldnt sleep last night and was sitting here reading the threads at 3:00 in the morning. Anyways just after I read this one, they fucking played three "The Darkness" film clips on Rage (Our all night music show). Followed by some Van Halen !

Anyways I thought they were a good Rock band, except I dont really like the singers voice. Sort of like Freddy Mercury without gonads (if thats possible) or Tiny Tim in a Metal Mood.

The last clip they played was a kind of Rock Christmas Carol and the singer was wearing a Top with the dangling stringy bits that Ozzy made famous.

Shame he is so squeaky. Otherwise they sounded good.

Keep em coming :D

ELVIS
02-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Queens Of The Stone Age !!

Mr Walker
02-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Justin Hawkins (singer of The Darkness) has described himself as Tiny Tim on methamphetemines.

The Electric Six are a cool band to check out as well.

ELVIS
02-07-2004, 06:50 PM
The Darkness sucks!

It's fake!

Leandro Pujiz
02-08-2004, 12:08 AM
The Darkness and.......

Dave IS VH
02-08-2004, 03:46 AM
It seems like, all of today's metal or hard rock is screaming, or raping to screaching guitar.

It all sounds the same to me, it's like the bands are not trying anymore, but that is only my opinion.

ELVIS
02-08-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Dave IS VH
It seems like, all of today's metal or hard rock is screaming, or raping to screaching guitar.

You mean rapping ??

:D

SilvioDante
02-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Of course The Darkness are fake, everybody is!!! I know I am a little biased because I like them, but I know they are an image. All entertainers are. My thing is I like their image. They aren't pissing and moaning about how rough life/love/ their parents are or whatever makes this new generation mopey. News flash: I liked him, but Eddie Vedder wasn't that miserable all the time. If he didn't want to be famous, HE WOULD HAVE STOPPED MAKING RECORDS A LONG TIME AGO! Don't get me wrong, I like Pearl Jam, but this "woe is me because I didn't understand what would happen when I got famous" shit was an act. And the slacker crowd ate it up with a spoon.

Even though The Darkness are "fake", they are making music that we all miss. Music with a damn melody, fun music, party music! Dave would be, and IS proud. To quote the Diamond one," I bought (The Darkness' debut LP) PERMISSION TO LAND. It's superb. I'm definitely a fan.
"It's great to see a new band following the path. They've come to the right place, tapping into a source I've come from."

That is all I have to say about that. Hammer away.

Mr Badguy
02-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Iced Earth!

Real heavy metal!

Golden AWe
02-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Of course The Darkness are fake, everybody is!!! I know I am a little biased because I like them, but I know they are an image. All entertainers are. My thing is I like their image. They aren't pissing and moaning about how rough life/love/ their parents are or whatever makes this new generation mopey. News flash: I liked him, but Eddie Vedder wasn't that miserable all the time. If he didn't want to be famous, HE WOULD HAVE STOPPED MAKING RECORDS A LONG TIME AGO! Don't get me wrong, I like Pearl Jam, but this "woe is me because I didn't understand what would happen when I got famous" shit was an act. And the slacker crowd ate it up with a spoon.

Even though The Darkness are "fake", they are making music that we all miss. Music with a damn melody, fun music, party music! Dave would be, and IS proud. To quote the Diamond one," I bought (The Darkness' debut LP) PERMISSION TO LAND. It's superb. I'm definitely a fan.
"It's great to see a new band following the path. They've come to the right place, tapping into a source I've come from."

That is all I have to say about that. Hammer away.

Good post man. The Darkness has brought the fun back in RR, I've so much had enough with all this fake sorrow and moaning...and bands like Linkin Park, who tell that "I made these lyrics when I was very pissed of because my computer didn't work"

I still like the old sex and drugs better than computers and the vegetarian juices

ELVIS
02-08-2004, 06:27 PM
I'll give THE DARKNESS a second listen...

I'm open minded...:)

ELVIS
02-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Ok.. I gave them a second listen.. and a third and a fourth...

I don't like it!

It's cliched over produced CRAP!

IT IS FAKE! LIKE A SIT COM !!

If you fall for this you are a weak minded individual, and I have no respect for your lame ass...

The singer sucks and there is nothing exciting about the music...

My GOD how people are starving for good ROCK !!!

:elvis:

ELVIS
02-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Of course The Darkness are fake, everybody is!!!

You are full of crap!!!

SilvioDante
02-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Well, opinions are like assholes I guess....

I'll just have to be lame. Won't be the first time. Sure as hell won't be the last.

I am just amazed that you can listen to an album 4 times in 24 minutes and give an objective opinion....

Panamark
02-08-2004, 10:54 PM
The dudes voice sucks. Its a bit like that guy from Canned Heat (Going to the country) trying to sing metal

Panamark
02-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Mr Walker
Justin Hawkins (singer of The Darkness) has described himself as Tiny Tim on methamphetemines.

Well thats a good self assesment. Thats who he sounds like.

ELVIS
02-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Well, opinions are like assholes I guess....

I am just amazed that you can listen to an album 4 times in 24 minutes and give an objective opinion....

I listened to two songs several times each.. they were similar and they sucked...

Golden AWe
02-09-2004, 08:17 AM
You don't sense any irony in Justin and the Darkness??

How can they be so fake when the biggest prank they're are making is on themselves?

Long live The Darkness!!!

Mr Badguy
02-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Ok.. I gave them a second listen.. and a third and a fourth...

I don't like it!

It's cliched over produced CRAP!

IT IS FAKE! LIKE A SIT COM !!

If you fall for this you are a weak minded individual, and I have no respect for your lame ass...

The singer sucks and there is nothing exciting about the music...

My GOD how people are starving for good ROCK !!!

:elvis:

I couldn`t agree more, Elvis!

They aren`t laughing at themselves, they`re laughing at you; the real rock fan who has been taken in by this hard rock boy band who have seen a gap in the market.

I`ve heard comparisons to Queen, Van Halen, AC/DC etc. and it makes me wanna puke.

If these guys had shown up in 1991 (which I think is where they think they are), they would have got as much respect as Tuff, Trixter and all those other shit bands who only sold records because people just wanted to hear goodtime rock music, no matter how shit it was.

Trust me, in ten years we`ll all be slapping each other on the back and laughing at how we were taken in by this shit.

If only some of the other British rock bands of the last fifteen years had a fraction of the money that`s being thrown at The Darkness.

There were many who had far more quality and originality.

Golden AWe
02-10-2004, 08:17 AM
Yes, the big part of their success now is that they are so much retro from the old times. I don't know why the comparison to Ac/dc and Queen make you wanna puke - it's there, they've got the theatrical elements of the Queen, everything is BIG. Some don't like the singers voice, well, try singing those songs, can you do that? He's no Freddie Mercury but hey, no one is!
And if you listen to the whole album, it's filled with honest and straight ahead hard rock riffs can you blame anybody for that?

I don't wanna fight for this, I'm not gonna force anybody to like the band, and I'm not comparing The Darkness to bands with long histories yet, but when the same people who on this very site WORSHIP bands and artists like Judas Priest, Helloween and Dio - I can't take the accusation too seriously. In my eyes those are the bands we should have been laughing at and slapping each others backs.

And don't you think that the bands I mentioned are not laughing at us who have been taken by the bands and the men who wear black leather pants, play the same "heavy metal" riffs over and over again and tell stories about the evil underworld...???

The british bands that make me wanna puke are bands like Coldplay. And Oasis for their "originality". :)

Mr Badguy
02-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
Yes, the big part of their success now is that they are so much retro from the old times. I don't know why the comparison to Ac/dc and Queen make you wanna puke - it's there, they've got the theatrical elements of the Queen, everything is BIG. Some don't like the singers voice, well, try singing those songs, can you do that? He's no Freddie Mercury but hey, no one is!
And if you listen to the whole album, it's filled with honest and straight ahead hard rock riffs can you blame anybody for that?

I don't wanna fight for this, I'm not gonna force anybody to like the band, and I'm not comparing The Darkness to bands with long histories yet, but when the same people who on this very site WORSHIP bands and artists like Judas Priest, Helloween and Dio - I can't take the accusation too seriously. In my eyes those are the bands we should have been laughing at and slapping each others backs.

And don't you think that the bands I mentioned are not laughing at us who have been taken by the bands and the men who wear black leather pants, play the same "heavy metal" riffs over and over again and tell stories about the evil underworld...???

The british bands that make me wanna puke are bands like Coldplay. And Oasis for their "originality". :)

Oasis and Coldplay aren`t rock bands, they`re pop and I detest them as much as The Darkness.

I would put them all in the same bracket.

I was talking about bands like Thunder, The Almighty etc.

I know you`re sitting there going "Who?" but that`s because they didn`t get the budget that The Darkness are getting.

If you can`t tell that there is something contrived about The Darkness, then that`s your problem for being so blind.

Remember, very little music comes out of Britain these days which hasn`t been created by a record company.

It`s all manufactured.

To me, The Darkness have as much credibility as The Spice Girls or Westlife.

They are a creation designed to line the pockets of record company executives desperate to tap into the goldmine that is rock music.

That`s the way I see it.

Golden AWe
02-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Well I'd say let's give them that 10 years you spoke about. I would like to make a bet...let's say a bottle of Jack or some fine irish whiskey. Well check out the situation then - there will be no losers, just drinkers.
A couple of records later we'll know a lot more - I believe in a thing called The Darkness.

If they're created by the record company - well, the Sex Pistols were created by Malcolm Mclaren but nobody blames them for that...

Btw I do know Thunder and I've heard of The Almighty but I've only hear music from Thunder.

Panamark
02-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Ok so far we got,

The Darkness (which Ive now heard)
Sentenced and Amorphis
Motorhead. (If you squeeze my lizard, I'll put a snake on you !)
Danko Jones ?
Iced Earth
Queens of the Stoneage (Im sure Ive heard some of their stuff)

Thanks guys, will start checking some of these out.

Nobody mentioned Black Label Society. Has anyone heard them ?
They seem to get a lot of good reviews, Zakk is pretty cool.

WACF
02-11-2004, 12:46 AM
PROBOT...I know it is only a Dave Grohl side project but it FUCKING rocks...

Mr Badguy
02-11-2004, 06:21 AM
I`m surprised noone has mentioned Audioslave yet.

Their album is great.

Just as good as RATM but without the politics.

Golden AWe
02-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

Nobody mentioned Black Label Society. Has anyone heard them ?
They seem to get a lot of good reviews, Zakk is pretty cool.

I enjoy them very much...I've only got one record but yeah, it kicks ass!!!

Mr. Badguy...the Audioslave has been on top of my playlist since I bought it last year and it's not going down...I also have a couple of bootlegs and live videoclips...

I do think their next album, whenever it will appear, will be even better, I think with time they'll be even better than RATM with a different singer...now you can still hear which song was more of a Cornell song and which one sounds Morello...nothing bad with that but I'm sure they'll get even better with time.

Chris Cornell kicks ass...his voice isn't always the best live sound but it's still damn good...

Mr Badguy
02-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
I enjoy them very much...I've only got one record but yeah, it kicks ass!!!

Mr. Badguy...the Audioslave has been on top of my playlist since I bought it last year and it's not going down...I also have a couple of bootlegs and live videoclips...

I do think their next album, whenever it will appear, will be even better, I think with time they'll be even better than RATM with a different singer...now you can still hear which song was more of a Cornell song and which one sounds Morello...nothing bad with that but I'm sure they'll get even better with time.

Chris Cornell kicks ass...his voice isn't always the best live sound but it's still damn good...

Well, at last we agree.

I was never a great fan of Soundgarden but Cornell has an excellent voice for the style that Audioslave are going for.

The RATM section of the band cooks!

Super tight!

THE keepers of the metal flame.

Purple Haze
02-12-2004, 04:25 PM
If you liked Pantera, check out Damageplan. The drummer and guitarist from Pantera started this new group once Pantera folded. You might like Fireball Ministry too if the mood hits ya.