PDA

View Full Version : Harry says sorry for Nazi costume

BigBadBrian
01-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Harry says sorry for Nazi costume

Prince Harry was photographed at a friend's fancy dress party
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40716000/jpg/_40716791_sun203ok.jpg

Prince Harry has apologised for wearing a swastika armband to a friend's fancy dress party.
Clarence House issued a statement in response to a photograph published on the front page of the Sun newspaper under the headline, "Harry the Nazi".

It read: "Prince Harry has apologised for any offence or embarrassment he has caused. He realises it was a poor choice of costume."

But there have been calls for the prince to make his own public apology.

Tory leader Michael Howard told BBC Radio 4's Today programme Prince Harry should appear in person, rather than talk through a spokesman.

The Board of Deputies of British Jews said the costume was in "bad taste".

But they were "pleased" he had apologised for the incident.

"It was clearly in bad taste, especially in the run-up to holocaust memorial day on the 27th of this month, which the Royal Family will be taking a leading role in commemorating."

The picture was taken at the weekend at a friend's birthday party in Wiltshire, which had the fancy dress theme "colonial and native". This young man has got to come up front and be seen in person making an apology

Prince Harry, 20, appears to be wearing a German desert uniform and a swastika armband. He is also holding a drink and cigarette.

Rabbi Dr Jonathan Romain, of the Reform Synagogues of Great Britain, said: "The fact that the palace has issued an apology indicates that this was a mistake by the prince.

"But having been given, the apology should now be accepted."

But the Queen's former assistant press secretary, Dickie Arbiter, said: "This young man has got to come up front and be seen in person making an apology."

Former armed forces minister Doug Henderson MP said the picture showed the prince was "not suitable" for the prestigious royal military academy Sandhurst, which he is due to attend later this year.

"If it was anyone else, the application wouldn't be considered. It should be withdrawn immediately," said the Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne North.

The prince, who is third in line to the throne, hit the headlines last year after a scuffle with a photographer at a nightclub.

The Sun reported that Prince William was also at the party - dressed as a lion.

Nickdfresh
01-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Does Prince Harry post in the Dump?

kentuckyklira
01-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Political correctness sucks so bad!

I remember when Zodiac Mindwarp posed in a SS officer´s jacket and nobody complained. I guess people were just cooler and more relaxed in the 80s!:(

Seshmeister
01-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Idiot son of a dumb slut

FORD
01-13-2005, 09:49 AM
I thought that Nazi symbols were actually illegal in Germany, to the point where they alter KISS album covers to avoid the "SS" logo......

http://www.kissfaq.com/germany/german_alive2.jpg

kentuckyklira
01-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I thought that Nazi symbols were actually illegal in Germany, to the point where they alter KISS album covers to avoid the "SS" logo......

http://www.kissfaq.com/germany/german_alive2.jpg True. But the costume party wasn´t in Germany.

Nickdfresh
01-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I heard, during the release of the "Great Escape," Who drummer Kieth Moon lived next to Steve McQueen (in Cali I think) and he used to dress up in an SS uniform and goose step back and forth in front of McQueen's beachfront property.

BigBadBrian
01-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Idiot son of a dumb slut

Dumb slut maybe, but Diana was hot....

http://www.capacity.net.au/angelofoz/diana07/109.jpg http://www.bookpage.com/9710bp/images/dianatoppic.gif http://www.squirrelgames.com/logos/plates/ladydiana.jpg

DEMON CUNT
01-13-2005, 10:24 AM
I sure hope Prince Harry returns your arm band, BigBland. Imagine how uncomfortable your next Klan rally will be without that!

BigBadBrian
01-14-2005, 10:49 AM
This is
LONDON
14/01/05 - News and city section

Charles backs Harry
By Robert Jobson Royal Correspondent, Evening Standard

Prince Charles is refusing to force Harry to visit Auschwitz or make a TV apology for his Nazi fancy dress stunt.

The Prince of Wales is angry that his son is being pilloried for what he regards as a silly but harmless prank and wants to shelter him from further bad publicity. But the outrage over 20-year-old Harry's decision to attend a party in a German soldier's uniform with a swastika armband continues to reverberate around the world.

The royal family's refusal to take further action risks provoking yet more public criticism.

Newspapers and television stations in Israel, Germany, Italy and the US have already condemned Harry as stupid and insensitive. But after a series of meetings with senior officials, Charles made it clear that he would refuse to bow to political pressure from senior British politicians, including Tory leader Michael Howard, who demanded Harry make a personal apology.

Charles told his senior advisers he will not allow his son to be "hung out to dry". One senior official told the Standard: "As far as the Prince is concerned Harry has apologised for his mistake. He has said sorry and that is the end of the matter."

It has been decided that after Clarence House's contrite statement yesterday nothing more would be added and there will be no gesture such as a public trip by Harry to the Auschwitz concentration camp.

The offensiveness of Harry's gaffe was compounded by the timing, which coincides with the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

This is to be commemorated later this month in a ceremony attended by representatives from around the world.

Britain will be sending European minister Denis Mac-Shane and defence under-secretary Ivor Caplin. The royal family will be represented by Prince Edward.

Mr Howard, who is Jewish, said only a televised apology from Harry would satisfy. He said: "It would be appropriate to hear from him in person. I think it might be appropriate for him to tell us himself just how contrite he is."

Harry, due to start his military training at Sandhurst in May, is said to be "deeply upset" over the reaction.

A senior source said: "There is a feeling that although it was a genuine error and certainly ill-advised he now feels under siege.

"With the benefit of hindsight he knows he was wrong to wear the uniform and the swastika armband but some among his friends feel it has been taken out of all proportion.

"While the Prince of Wales is understandably disappointed with Harry and has made his feelings very clear, he is equally adamant that his son should not be hung out to dry."

It is understood that the Queen has rallied behind her grandson despite the condemnation.

Although she agrees that Harry's decision to dress as a Nazi was ill-advised, she has acknowledged that he did so at a private party and that he genuinely meant no harm.

"The Queen has not intervened in the situation, she will always back her family and is supporting Prince Charles on whatever course of action he decides is appropriate," said the source. Charles's defiant stance comes as it emerged that he has turned to his former adviser Mark Bolland - who spearheaded his PR drive for acceptance for his relationship with Camilla Parker Bowles.

Mr Bolland, who runs a successful PR firm and is a columnist with a Sunday tabloid newspaper - was contacted by the Prince as the Harry row erupted.

His decision to turn to his former spindoctor comes despite him dispensing with his services last year. Advised by Private Secretary Sir Michael Peat, Charles hired a new public relations team led by former Manchester United spokesman Paddy Harverson.

A senior source said: "This is a clear reflection of just how seriously he's taking the issue. But also it does not reflect well on his current team of advisers."

Since the death of Diana in 1997, Charles has doted on his younger son.

He has turned to the advice of former Guards officer Mark Dyer to help steer Harry into adulthood. A source said: "There is now a feeling in the Prince of Wales's camp that Harry needs a firmer hand to guide him and the sooner he joins the Army the better."

It is still possible that the royal family may decide to send Harry to Auschwitz on a private visit should the weight of worldwide criticism prove too much to ignore.

In Israel, the country's top daily was flooded with readers' comments accusing the Prince of being stupid and acting in bad taste.

In the US, the New York Post ran the picture of Harry with the headline Royal Nazi while the Washington Post declared: "Consensus on Prince Harry's Gaffe: He Knows Nothing."

It emerged that Harry hired his costume at a shop close to Highgrove, Maud's Cotswold Costumes, popular with the young royals and their set.

Among the other outfits which were said to have caught the prince's eye was a SS uniform.

Maud Franklin, 78, who runs the shop, said: "My shop is popular with young royals.

"They normally go for more specific themes or something outrageously silly like a chicken outfit."

Nickdfresh
01-14-2005, 11:09 AM
He's now been ordered to visit Auchwitz by Charles.

DrMaddVibe
01-14-2005, 11:13 AM
And watch "Schindler's List"!

Freedom Through Work!

Figs
01-14-2005, 11:16 AM
reminds me of the movie "Liberty Heights" (1999)

UGS
01-14-2005, 11:52 AM
What do expect from some little fucker who never has, doesn't, and never will work for anything he has? No respect for the Americans, Canadians and Brits who died so that little symbol he like to wear on his arm isn't flying above Windsor Castle.

ODShowtime
01-14-2005, 11:55 AM
good point

BigBadBrian
01-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by UGS
What do expect from some little fucker who never has, doesn't, and never will work for anything he has? No respect for the Americans, Canadians and Brits who died so that little symbol he like to wear on his arm isn't flying above Windsor Castle.

Well UGS.....Welcome to the Roth Army dude!! Cheers! :gulp:

UGS
01-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks man!

I've been lurking around since February, figured I'll start posting now!

Nickdfresh
01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by UGS

Not to mention the Jews. The timing is what makes all this so sickening. Next week is the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz!

DEMON CUNT
01-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by UGS

Sounds like George W.

UGS
01-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Those who don't earn something are the first to take it for granted

ODShowtime
01-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Those who don't earn something are the first to take it for granted

You're right. That's why the majority of Americans this generation take peace for granted.

Mr Grimsdale
01-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Dumb slut maybe, but Diana was hot....

Mr Grimsdale
01-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
He's now been ordered to visit Auchwitz by Charles.

is he travelling by train?

Figs
01-16-2005, 06:33 PM
bit in ze crotch, by a great dane....

ELVIS
01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
That's not Di...

Spc. Graner
01-17-2005, 02:17 AM
British people are dumb.

BIG GOOSE
01-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Political correctness sucks so bad!

(

Fuck you ain't kidding:eek:

Mr Grimsdale
01-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Spc. Graner
British people are dumb.

Ooh, hark at her!

Mr Grimsdale
01-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That's not Di...

You're kidding?

Seriously?

No?

Elvis, sometimes I worry about you. I really do. ;)

ODShowtime
01-18-2005, 11:17 PM
good times

Nickdfresh
01-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale

But who ist that girl? That doesn't look like a photo shop.

Mr Grimsdale
01-19-2005, 05:51 PM
she's some tart called christina hance

she made a fortune as a princess diana lookalike

then when the old girl snuffed it she found she couldn't make any money to support her coke habit

oh yeah and she allegedly worked as a hooker in olde london towne, propositioning businessmen with the line "ever wanted to fuck a princess"

nice girl, the sort you could introduce to the parents

Nickdfresh
01-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
she's some tart called christina hance

she made a fortune as a princess diana lookalike

then when the old girl snuffed it she found she couldn't make any money to support her coke habit

oh yeah and she allegedly worked as a hooker in olde london towne, propositioning businessmen with the line "ever wanted to fuck a princess"

nice girl, the sort you could introduce to the parents

I thought as much! Pity, with a body like that she could have gone far!

Little_Skittles
01-19-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't see what everyone is so upset about the swastika has another meaning or so i'm told. it could mean protection. All ya'll cocksuckers just need to fuck the world and smoke some weed and chillax.

Wayne L.
01-19-2005, 07:47 PM
I think this story with Harry wearing the Nazi costume at a party was blown way out of proportion by the mainstream media in England by the sensitive souls of political correctness on the left. BTW, he shouldn't have to apologize because it was just a mistake since he's not a skinhead or anything.

Nickdfresh
01-19-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure which of the two preceeding posts is more interesting.

Seshmeister
01-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Little_Skittles
I don't see what everyone is so upset about the swastika has another meaning or so i'm told. it could mean protection. All ya'll cocksuckers just need to fuck the world and smoke some weed and chillax.

He tried to hire an SS uniform but it didn't fit him.

I don't think it was protection he was thinking of.

Mr Grimsdale
01-23-2005, 05:48 PM
now there's a business opportunity!

Knucklebones
01-24-2005, 05:35 PM
I say he should rather be flamed for thinking that wrapping a armband around a shirt is a fucking costume lol.