PDA

View Full Version : The i-pod

Nickdfresh
01-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I need to get my fat ass back in shape since I've bounced back from constant sinus infections.

I used to run almost everyday, but I need LOUD, RAUNCHY hard rock like CVH to run to. I have always used the Sony Sports Walkman radio thing, but now that Apple is offering cheaper i-pods without the superfluous memory, I want to pick one up for this purpose so I can sequence the songs. I need to know:
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2003/04/new-ipod-300x425-3.jpg
1.) How is the i-pod for working out in general?

2.) Will the headphones stand up to constant sweating? Kind of gross, but I've rusted out several sets of 'sports' waterproof headphones before. This has always been the biggest problem.

3.) Will the i-pod stand up to repeated shock, and the general abuse and pounding of long distance running?

4.) Are they water resistant overall?

Bill Lumbergh
01-13-2005, 03:55 PM
I'd like to know some of this shit too. Been thinking about getting one of these for a while.

Nickdfresh
01-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I'd like to know some of this shit too. Been thinking about getting one of these for a while.

The two new (smaller) models seem awesome. The $150 one stores 240 songs, that's all I need!

Fabulous Shadow
01-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Why are they so expensive? I want one too but it seems kinda pricey. Is it just to listen to mp3's? That's all I want it for. Also want to use it while working out...

Ally_Kat
01-13-2005, 04:11 PM
my friend had an ipod she used to use to jog with, and the thing kept breaking on her. Finally she said screw it.

But that was the originals. Not sure about these new ones coming out.

smaz
01-13-2005, 04:22 PM
My girlfriends got a 4GB Mini I-pod. Holds 1000 songs, and plays 'em loud. I don't know about for working out, but I'm sure they'd survive. They have 25 minutes of Skip-protection. Easy to use with a sensitive 'wheel', which you just move your thumb over to scroll through menus, or adjust the volume. Also have a couple of games, although they are a little pointless. For more info, check here:

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/specs.html

Scroll to the bottom for a detailed spec.

Bill Lumbergh
01-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
The two new (smaller) models seem awesome. The $150 one stores 240 songs, that's all I need!

I've been looking into the $249 one........1000 songs. Almost bought it(and one for my wife) 4 ot 5 times, not sure why I havent gone through with it. My brother has one of "big" ones, and these things are fucking great. Coming home and immediately putting the entire Dave catalog on the thing is a given. I agree with you though, the ones that hold 10,000 songs are a waste.

Bill Lumbergh
01-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
Why are they so expensive? I want one too but it seems kinda pricey. Is it just to listen to mp3's? That's all I want it for. Also want to use it while working out...

I agree. 250 isnt a ton of money, but for something like this it DOES seem a bit much.

Mezro
01-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Even an iPod mini is a bit bulky when working out.

I just ordered the iPod shuffle for my workout. 250 songs is more than enough for an hour and a half of pounding the iron and intense cardio.

Mezro...saw the shuffle at Macworld yesterday...super tiny...super light...perfect for activity and cheap as balls...sold...

Mezro
01-13-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

Mezro...almost forgot...click and check it out...

Fabulous Shadow
01-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Great tip Mez! Thanks...

smaz
01-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Holy fook.... Those shuffles are tiny!!! And cheap too. I'm not sure if they're availible in the U.K. though. And it shuffling your songs could be a bit annoying.....

Mezro
01-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by smaz
Holy fook.... Those shuffles are tiny!!! And cheap too. I'm not sure if they're availible in the U.K. though. And it shuffling your songs could be a bit annoying.....

Anybody who is serious about their workout will not be fucking around picking out songs every two minutes. Set it and forget it.

Mezro...shuffle = variety...it can also play your playlist in order as well...

smaz
01-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
Anybody who is serious about their workout will not be fucking around picking out songs every two minutes. Set it and forget it.

Mezro...shuffle = variety...it can also play your playlist in order as well...

Good points. I didn't kown it played it in order too. I'll keep an eye out for 'em :D

Nickdfresh
01-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

Mezro...almost forgot...click and check it out...

Impressive! But Mezro, how do the ear buds hold up to sweat or rain?

Mezro
01-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Impressive! But Mezro, how do the ear buds hold up to sweat or rain?

Pretty well but if that is an issue buy a pair of sports buds.

Mezro...I have 2 pairs...one for the gym and one for my commute...

Vivian Campbell
01-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Guys get a DELL DJ. It the same price of the I-POD mini, but plays 9,000 songs. Trust me, I don't have a large music collection and I easily exceeded 1000 songs. $249 for the I-POD mini or even the near 400 bucks for the 10,000 song IPOD is a rip off.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=SDJ201Y&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external

rochesterdr
01-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Yo, I work out all the time with my 40G iPod, but it needs a couple of modifications.

First, you'll need a new carrier, one that has an arm strap. I got one at best buy for $25 and it's sweat proof and does the job

Second, those headphones are no good for working out, they'll fall out of your ears every 10 secs, so get some that stay on your head.

The only thing is, the 40G is almost on the big side, as is the 20, but the mini is the right size, i think. but then you are talking about a fraction of the hard drive space. I am very happy with the 40gb and I use it every day. In fact it is the best thing I've ever bought myself. I am a bodybuilder so I use it when I workout all the time and it works fine. It even survived an entire year in Iraq, so no complaints here.

DEMON CUNT
01-14-2005, 03:36 AM
I have a 20G and I fucking LOVE IT. I use it at least an hour a day.

The standard issue IPop headphones are durable and deal with sweat just fine. (Just never ever smell them.) :D With earbud style headphones- either they fit your ears or they don't. You may need to try a few diffrernt styles. SONY makes decent moderatly priced headphones in various models.

My "non-sweat situation" headphones are BOSE TriPort, which are the best sounding set I have ever owned.

Plus, IPods have all kinds of different accesories, cases, skins, etc. Which make it kind of like a hobby.

IPod or die!

flappo
01-14-2005, 07:19 AM
yeah , people say it's only 250 songs

250 songs ??

thats every cvh song ever recorded x 2

isnt that enough ??

Mr Walker
01-14-2005, 08:47 AM
My son got an Ipod for Christmas. It's definitley a cool toy to have although installing the software for it on my computer with Windows XP Service Pack 2 was a real bitch.

If your looking to buy something like that, you might want to check out the 'Nomad' by Creative Labs... same thing but much cheaper.

At BestBuy a 40 gig ipod is about 400 bones where the Nomad is only 250 or a 20 gig ipod is 300 bones where a 30 gig Nomad is 200.

Mezro
01-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Mr Walker
If your looking to buy something like that, you might want to check out the 'Nomad' by Creative Labs... same thing but much cheaper.

Some people want a GEO and others want a Mercedes. There is a seat for every ass.

Mezro...I'm not buying an mp3 player called Gonad...

Nickdfresh
05-05-2005, 09:46 AM
So, does anybody actually go running with the thing? Can it take the pounding over the long haul?

Cathedral
05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
An old Sony Walkman, $20.00

A 5-pack of blank cassettes, $5.00

Napster Subscription, $19.95

The ability to make a mix tape that won't skip during an agressive workout and without spending a fortune on technology that can't take the abuse........PRICELESS.

classicdude
05-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I busted out for the 40GB Nomad Jukebox about a year or so ago. Set me back like 3 bills. Still haven't filled the fucker up after ripping up umpteen cd's to it. The manual says don't run with it but walking is fine. I would guess biking would be okay too. Them earbuds blow. I could never get them to stay in my ears, plus they were uncomfortable as hell. Good luck! :)

Nickdfresh
05-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by classicdude
I busted out for the 40GB Nomad Jukebox about a year or so ago. Set me back like 3 bills. Still haven't filled the fucker up after ripping up umpteen cd's to it. The manual says don't run with it but walking is fine. I would guess biking would be okay too. Them earbuds blow. I could never get them to stay in my ears, plus they were uncomfortable as hell. Good luck! :)

I picked it up today with an armband and case, so it should be alright. The only thing I'd worry about is the docking port and water getting into it. I ripped out my SONY Sports earphones and will use those in it. I'll go out with is Saturday or Sunday, but I think it should be cool. I put 91 songs on it today and have use only a tiny fraction of the 4GBs.

NATEDOG001976
05-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I bought a Mini (it fits 1000 songs) Even though I have over 600 Cd's the Mini works great for me...take shit off, add shit, no big deal! The car radio receiver thing sucks MAJOR ass, go with a direct plug in...much better sound quality!

Nickdfresh
05-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I've been looking into the $249 one........1000 songs. Almost bought it(and one for my wife) 4 ot 5 times, not sure why I havent gone through with it. My brother has one of "big" ones, and these things are fucking great. Coming home and immediately putting the entire Dave catalog on the thing is a given. I agree with you though, the ones that hold 10,000 songs are a waste.

Do it if you haven't done so already!

While I've only been out about three times with it, it seems to work well while out on a long run.

I just load it up with up-tempo rock and kill myself running! I even dropped it once after I put on the arm band clip, according to directions which didn't work so well. I have a rubber jacket that goes around the Ipod and and a lycra arm band. I just put it on shuffle and go. I ditched the stock ear pieces and went with my SONY Sports headphones.

I only wish it were a little more powerful though, volume wise.