PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever have an MRI?

BigBadBrian
01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Anybody ever have an MRI? I have to have another one. I had one before about 6 years ago but I was heavily sedated and don't remember much.

I'm claustrophobic and I think I'm going to freak the hell out. :D

How long does it last? The doctor gave me Ativan to calm me down.

DrMaddVibe
01-13-2005, 04:20 PM
It's a "walk in the park"!

Relax.

Carmine
01-13-2005, 04:21 PM
I had one before. If you are claustrophobic, Sorry BBB, but you will not like this. Mine took 50 minutes...best thing to do is just close your eyes and relax. It was 8 years ago that I had mine, I have heard they do have "open" ones now. I hope for you sake, its an open test.

Fabulous Shadow
01-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I have had 2. Find out if you can get an "OPEN SYSTEM" MRI. You don't have to go in the tube. I have had BOTH kinds and found the Open System type to be a walk in the park.

They generally last about 45 mins... Too damn long to be in a tube!

DLR7884
01-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I hope you have the open one too!

DLR7884
Just double up on the drugs and get some Z's.

distortion9
01-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Just recently had a "Stand Up" MRI done for my back....it was great. They had a wide screen tv set up playing old Honeymooner episodes, I shit you not.

I've also had a "closed" MRI done way back. Didn't bother me much, it was just REALLY hard to stay perfectly still for so long.

Look into the "Stand Up" thing.

smaz
01-13-2005, 04:46 PM
I think it was one of those I had, or it was something similar. I swear it took about 10 mins or so, but I'm not sure. I got given shite music to listen to, and almost fell asleep. They're easy, just lie there and wait. You should get an alarm or something you can press if you need to stop at any time though.

Ally_Kat
01-13-2005, 04:54 PM
my father takes them every other week it seems now.

His last about 45 mins in the tube. They should ask you if you are claustrophobic and when they tell you, they'll most likely knock you out for it. If they just give you something to take the edge off of your worry, they'll also give you some headphones to listen to.

It is also rather loud in them. That's mainly why they give you the headphones.

But yeah, if you are worried that you'll freak out, just warn them before hand and take the snooze.

edit -- Dad says they'll also inject you with something before they start.

Jesterstar
01-13-2005, 05:08 PM
If I am not mistaken a MRI means that the cylinder is going to shrink to the size of your body cutting off your air and circulation for almost a full minuet. But I am only totally certain of that. I hear it can kill a closterphobic also.

distortion9
01-13-2005, 05:10 PM
wtf?

GAR
01-13-2005, 05:12 PM
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/pr/vitalsigns/images/MRI.jpg

What the open system does is microwave your fuckin' brains until the Alien's homing selector pin falls outta your head - and they do this because the damned thing is so hard to find with x-rays: very small, metallic but does not show up in imaging.

http://www.agraphafx.com/gfx/mri.jpg

The amplified waves of over 300,000 MegaGAUSS® induced directly into the forehead actually vibrates the little bastard sufficiently to the extent that it breaks thru the surface of the skin no matter how deeply embedded in yer skull, whereupon a hi-frequency microsensor detects when it hits the metal pan behind the foam pillow you lay down on.

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/1297/zacks/jpgs/zacks.cocaine.jpg

Fuck ATAVAN, ask for some SHIATSU. And a Percodan pushed up the arse.. that'll calm you down some really good, now!

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/images/enema/1moveblockage.jpg

Fabulous Shadow
01-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I was never injected with anything? I stayed awake and without meds both times. I closed my eyes before going in and NEVER opened them. I did bacis relaxation techniques while in the tube. I did get a lil freaked the first time and almost had to ask them to get me out, but I just did some deep breathing and it wore off.

DLR7884
01-13-2005, 05:21 PM
I thought they did injections or made you drink some sort of liquid when you got a CAT scan....

DLR7884
Not an MRI....I'm probably mistaken though.

GAR
01-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
I was never injected with anything? I stayed awake and without meds both times. I closed my eyes before going in and NEVER opened them.

meh.

what a fun lay you seem to be.

you probably frigg it under the covers, with the lights and TV off too.

smaz
01-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by GAR
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/pr/vitalsigns/images/MRI.jpg

What the open system does is microwave your fuckin' brains until the Alien's homing selector pin falls outta your head - and they do this because the damned thing is so hard to find with x-rays: very small, metallic but does not show up in imaging.

http://www.agraphafx.com/gfx/mri.jpg

The amplified waves of over 300,000 MegaGAUSS® induced directly into the forehead actually vibrates the little bastard sufficiently to the extent that it breaks thru the surface of the skin no matter how deeply embedded in yer skull, whereupon a hi-frequency microsensor detects when it hits the metal pan behind the foam pillow you lay down on.

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/1297/zacks/jpgs/zacks.cocaine.jpg

Fuck ATAVAN, ask for some SHIATSU. And a Percodan pushed up the arse.. that'll calm you down some really good, now!

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/images/enema/1moveblockage.jpg

:rofl: Fantastic.... :D

smaz
01-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Jesterstar
If I am not mistaken a MRI means that the cylinder is going to shrink to the size of your body cutting off your air and circulation for almost a full minuet. But I am only totally certain of that. I hear it can kill a closterphobic also.

I heard you're a wanker. Guess my ears are ok.

GAR
01-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Let's talk about a Cat Deeley scanning..

Ally_Kat
01-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
I thought they did injections or made you drink some sort of liquid when you got a CAT scan....

DLR7884
Not an MRI....I'm probably mistaken though.

He gets MRIs and he gets an injection. And no, they are not knocking him out or sedating him because he's all cool with laying in the tube.

Rikk
01-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Did your Dad get used to it after going in that many times?

Ally_Kat
01-13-2005, 06:38 PM
He was cool with it from the beginning. First time they told him what they were going to do and all he asked was what type of music they would give him to listen to. Dad's laid back like that.

Rikk
01-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
He was cool with it from the beginning. First time they told him what they were going to do and all he asked was what type of music they would give him to listen to. Dad's laid back like that.

You should have made him listen to 1984.;)

TLR
01-13-2005, 09:22 PM
I had one and it was in the tube and lasted for at least 30 minutes. Didn't bother me at all. I was laying flat on my back just listening to all the racket the thing makes...

GAR
01-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I heard that if your nerve endings in the Hypothalamus section of the brain are wired horizontally instead of vertically, you run the risk of coming outta there speaking in fluent Cuntonese..

Flash Bastard
01-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Unless you're clausterphobic it's not a big deal at all, the hardest thing is remaining still for 30 minutes to an hour.

Oh yeah, and it's pretty boring in there, even with all the neat clicking and banging noises the thing makes.

Jesterstar
01-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by smaz
I heard you're a wanker. Guess my ears are ok.

Why do you have a cock in your ears??? because that's the only way a fag like you would feel ok with their ears.

BigBadBrian
01-13-2005, 10:02 PM
I was never injected with anything? I stayed awake and without meds both times. I closed my eyes before going in and NEVER opened them. I did bacis relaxation techniques while in the tube. I did get a lil freaked the first time and almost had to ask them to get me out, but I just did some deep breathing and it wore off.

Deep Breathing? Deep Breathing? I'm already Hyperventilating!

Hell, I think I'm going to shit my pants! :D

This thing looks like a damn coffin. I think my one saving redemption is I have metallic dental bridgework so they can't put me in head first. I got the bastards on that one. Why in the hell do they need my head in that damn torture chamber if it's my mid-section they need to magnetize/radiate?

Bastards. :mad:

GAR
01-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Hes saying he can't hear you because he's got a cock in his ears and that it's fine with him because he enjoys the fulfilling sounds of a throbbing knob upside the face like that.

GAR
01-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Why in the hell do they need my head in that damn torture chamber if it's my mid-section they need to magnetize/radiate?

I asked a professional at Arcadia Radiology where I had my Gock scanned for impurities, "Why can't they start the machine at the midsection?" and she told me ".. we start the magnetic field before you enter it so that the patient has a smooth transition, rather than immediately scramble his DNA like huervos rancheros for breakfast the second we flick the switch."

I hoped this explanation helps calm you down n'stuff..

GAR
01-13-2005, 10:09 PM
I felt it necessary also to mention something I omitted previously:

"Don't watch the remake of that movie 'The Fly" starring Jeff Goldblum immediately before visiting the office for an MRI"

Don't do that.
I can't tell you "why not" so don't bother asking, you'd have to see it.

- what I mean is "don't 'see it' " prior to doing a scan.

Fabulous Shadow
01-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Deep Breathing? Deep Breathing? I'm already Hyperventilating!

Hell, I think I'm going to shit my pants! :D

This thing looks like a damn coffin. I think my one saving redemption is I have metallic dental bridgework so they can't put me in head first. I got the bastards on that one. Why in the hell do they need my head in that damn torture chamber if it's my mid-section they need to magnetize/radiate?

WTF? Your HEAD isn't going in? That's a piece of cake bro!

Jesterstar
01-14-2005, 08:56 AM

Actually your whole head is attached to a vacume to sucktion the Latex to cut off your circulation and Air.

BigBadBrian
01-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Jesterstar
Actually your whole head is attached to a vacume to sucktion the Latex to cut off your circulation and Air.

Attached to a vacuum? Kinda like the way you give yourself a blowjob? :lol:

BigBadBrian
01-14-2005, 06:25 PM

Maybe, but you don't understand. I'm claustrophobic. Shit, I get claustrophic under the bedsheets at night with just my head sticking out. I have to stick a leg out of the side of the bed to "get my freedom," if you know what if mean.

And forget doing the :sex: under the sheets. No damn way. I don't care if it's freezing outside. My wife's cool with it after all these years. :D

Jesterstar
01-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Attached to a vacuum? Kinda like the way you give yourself a blowjob? :lol:

Years of Yoga Helped me do that Bigboy.

BigBadBrian
01-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
He gets MRIs and he gets an injection. And no, they are not knocking him out or sedating him because he's all cool with laying in the tube.

OK, so I got this thing last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Maybe it was because of the drugs. :D Anyway, I had to lay in that fucking torpedo tube for 45 minutes. Yes, they did hook an IV up to me. The chick (she was hot!) explained that certain target areas under study need different contrast agents, even for an MRI. Organs get it usually, bones and ligaments don't, for example.

Jamocha Joe
01-20-2005, 09:51 AM
I just had an MRI yesterday and I'm claustrophobic too. This is the second one for me. I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

Susie Q
01-20-2005, 06:02 PM
The thing with MRI's is the "stuff" that they inject you with. You all want to be sure that you are not on a certain medication for diabete's. The dye would KILL you. I believe it is Gloucophage. Check with ELVIS on that one.....he is the resident RN.