PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC`s "The Jack" and other boring concert cornerstones....

Mr Badguy
01-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Does anyone really like "The Jack" as much as AC/DC think we do?

I find the song very boring, yet it is always included at every show you go to and every live CD/DVD/video they release.

Especially the fact that the lyrics changed from the funny card playing double-entendres from "High voltage" to the dirty old man "She gave me her mind/ She gave me her body/ But she gave it to anybody" version.

It pisses me off when I think of all the other classic Bon Scott era songs that get left out because of this momentum halting borefest.

Other bands also include songs that never shift from their live set but get more tiresome the more you hear them.

Name and shame.

DLR7884
01-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Led Zeppelin-"Stairway To Heaven."

I skip it on every live disc/bootleg I have.....

DLR7884
The band just played it for the borderline fans I think.

DLR7884
01-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Also, "The Jack" has always been a favorite of mine....with the original lyrics.

Why did they change them?

DLR7884
Bon Scott had a great voice for that song....Brian Young doesn't.

fe_lung
01-14-2005, 09:58 AM
DLR7884
Bon Scott had a great voice for that song....Brian Young doesn't. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well said! As with all of AC/DC's material, it's better with Bon. When Bon was performing it wasn't just a song, it was a fucking documentary. Brian Johnson..... yeah, not so much!

fe_lung
01-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Live "Favorites" I tune out.....

Just Like Heaven, The Walk, Let's Go To Bed - the Cure
Jungleland - Springsteen
Until The End Of The World, Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2
Dream On - Aerosmith
Roxanne - Sting

None of them are bad songs, I'm just sick to death of them.

DLR7884
01-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by fe_lung
Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2

I thought they didn't play that song live for about 15 years.

When I saw them in 1997 they started to play it then stopped.

DLR7884
That pissed me off.

fe_lung
01-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
I thought they didn't play that song live for about 15 years.

When I saw them in 1997 they started to play it then stopped.

DLR7884
That pissed me off.

After Rattle & Hum they said they'd never play it again as they felt the movie contained the ultimate version of the song. By the time ZOO TV went outdoors it was back in the set, however.

fe_lung
01-14-2005, 11:23 AM
I can do without hearing Pride as well. Again, not a bad song but it's in ever set and it's the same every time, every tour. GAG!

High Life Man
01-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Layla

Figs
01-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Jump by Van Halen

Mezro
01-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Jump
Rock and Roll All Nite
Enter Sandman

Mezro..give them all a rest...

FORD
01-14-2005, 03:15 PM
"The Jack" was Bon Scott's song completely. Brian Johnson should NEVER have attempted that song. It's like Cherone singing "I'm The One" on the VDIII tour. Uh, what's the song called, Gary? Did YOU write it?

Didn't think so.

UGS
01-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by FORD
"The Jack" was Bon Scott's song completely. Brian Johnson should NEVER have attempted that song. It's like Cherone singing "I'm The One" on the VDIII tour. Uh, what's the song called, Gary? Did YOU write it?

Didn't think so.

Why are you limitting your attack to "I'm the one"? Did he not butcher a dozen other CVH songs, including Unchained?

FORD
01-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Why are you limitting your attack to "I'm the one"? Did he not butcher a dozen other CVH songs, including Unchained?

He did, and they all sucked. But with "I'm the One", it was worse than the others, because the lyrics were Dave's personal testimony to what a Van HALEN show was all about, and that testimony can't be replicated by a guy in an Italian suit, twirling like a ballerina and fingerfucking his own ass.

rob100
01-14-2005, 04:38 PM
I agree on The Jack.

Also: Dazed & Confused.

And Child In Time was classic back in 1972, but when Gillan lost most of his voice, 25 years ago. These days Deep Purple stopped playing it. They don't need to, because nobody associates that band with Purple anyway, without Blackmore and Lord.

rob100
01-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by rob100
I agree on The Jack.

Also: Dazed & Confused.

And Child In Time was classic back in 1972, but when Gillan lost most of his voice, 25 years ago.

...uh, replace ''but when'' by ''until'' and it makes perfect sense.

loss of fools
01-14-2005, 07:03 PM
not that iv seen it but i image dont wanna miss a thing is shit live especialy when there could be some sick as a dog or get it up.

blueturk
01-15-2005, 12:36 AM
"Free Bird". I don't care if I never hear that song again. Although I'm sure that The Lynyrd Skynyrd With No Original Members Band gets all kinds of idiots screaming for it at shows.

DLR7884
01-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Whole Lotta Love gets old.

The only reason I can listen too it is because of the medlies (sp?) they do in the middle of the song.

DLR7884
Other than that, I don't need to hear it live.

Mr Badguy
01-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Also Iron Maiden.

I love "Hallowed be thy name", "Wrathchild", "The number of the Beast", "Run to the hills" and "Two minutes to midnight" but even they themselves sound bored playing them.

Give them a rest and bring back "Aces high" etc.

tydhurst
01-18-2005, 11:24 AM
AC/DC Just bores me.

Shaun Ponsonby
01-18-2005, 11:32 AM

Bon Scott had a great voice for that song....Brian Young doesn't.

Brian Young is Dave's guitarist-I think you got mixed up with Angus/Malcom's surname.

I think AC/DC's set list is pretty much set in stone now. They've been playing more or less the same set for a good few years.

DLR7884
01-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Whoops, I meant Brian Johnson.

DLR7884
I knew that didn't sound right.

DLR7884
01-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by tydhurst
AC/DC Just bores me.

Must suck to be you.

DLR7884
How do you like VH and not AC/DC?

Shaun Ponsonby
01-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Must suck to be you.

:D :D :D :D
ANGUS!! ANGUS!! ANGUS!! ANGUS!!

I think that if certain things aren't played by EVERY band-then, a lot of people won't come back.

Lynyrd Skynyrd NEED to play 'Freebird'
Clapton NEEDS to play 'Layla'
Queen NEED to play 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
Yes NEED to play 'Roundabout'
Motorhead NEED to play 'Ace of Spades'

..and so on...

Jérôme Frenchise
01-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Does anyone really like "The Jack" as much as AC/DC think we do?

I find the song very boring, yet it is always included at every show you go to and every live CD/DVD/video they release.

Especially the fact that the lyrics changed from the funny card playing double-entendres from "High voltage" to the dirty old man "She gave me her mind/ She gave me her body/ But she gave it to anybody" version.

It pisses me off when I think of all the other classic Bon Scott era songs that get left out because of this momentum halting borefest.

Other bands also include songs that never shift from their live set but get more tiresome the more you hear them.

Name and shame.

I agree!! But then, it's always been a pain to hear B. Johnson's voice (it sounds like a rusty saw squeaking on some rusty nail) and to see him "sing" (he always seems to suffer hellish pains, making grotesque faces). The real stuff is what AC/DC did with Bon, definitely. HE was a singer.

However, unlike Van Hagar, I still can listen to their present music. I remember a hell of a night we recently had with mates in a pub where the tenant (who is a pal) projected the "Stiff Upper Lipp" live video... We all suddenly went nuts with thrust. It just acted as a catalyst.:rockit:

Jérôme Frenchise
01-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Led Zeppelin-"Stairway To Heaven."

I skip it on every live disc/bootleg I have.....

DLR7884
The band just played it for the borderline fans I think.

Exactly the same song I avoid myself. Robert Plant himself soon couldn't stand it himself, how bored he must have got at the time!

The Stones' "Satisfaction" sounds to me like sugar tastes after stuffing with Chamallows...
"Highway To Hell" is the most personal Bon Scott tune, but AC/DC keeps on thinking that playing it is relevant...
And of course, any Diamond song covered by fat "Haggis" is unbearable. I just hope some day he'll swallow up his mike while botching the golden repertoire...:D

Shaun Ponsonby
01-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Jérome from Fra
And of course, any Diamond song covered by fat "Haggis" is unbearable. I just hope some day he'll swallow up his mike while botching the golden repertoire...:D

:donkey: :donkey: :donkey: :donkey: :donkey: :donkey:

That deserves a star or 5!!

Atomic_Rob
01-19-2005, 05:51 PM
I totally agree with the Jack comments. Its not just live, I dont really like it on High Voltage either. Just one of them songs I dont like.

Bon and Dave are the greatest 2 front men in history in my view. I have the AC/DC live 78 bootleg DVD that includes the If You Want Blood set and Rock Goes To College, Bon is on top form.

Other songs that have to be played and dont like:
Status Quo - Rockin All Over The World *HUGE MISTAKE*
Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger

Havent seen these but still:
Led Zppelin - Dazed and Confused
Aerosmith - Love In An Elevator I am sick of it

Wayne L.
01-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Satisfaction-The Rolling Stones
Paranoid-Black Sabbath
Yesterday-Paul McCartney
Walk This Way-Aerosmith