PDA

View Full Version : Recording basses

UGS
01-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Just looking for a bit of advice. . .

I'm looking to buy a bass strictly for recording demo type suff, and on a limitted budget. I need something with fast action and playability, and good intonation. Appearance is not an issue. I'm considering passive pickups, but I'm open to any suggestions against that.

Any help from bassists/home recording enthusiasts?

DrMaddVibe
01-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Fender Squire

Kramer 420s

Hamer Slammer

I'd go with one of those. They're not expensive but yet they play well. You can find a Kramer at MusicYo sometimes for 79 bucks! If you settle with the Fender, I'd get a maple fretboard/maple neck. The Hamer is a short scale bass with a lot of punch. I own all 3 and also have quite a few more.

BigBadBrian
01-14-2005, 08:02 PM
You like those wall mounts, Doc? Reliable?

Also, what kind of strings you using?

From one bass dude to another, Cheers! :gulp:

DrMaddVibe
01-14-2005, 08:53 PM
As long as you put them on a wall stud...I've NEVER had one fall off yet.

Strings...GHS, flat wounds, Fender...don't have any flat wounds on anything right now. I find using a pick gives me a speed edge and I'd rather swap a "fat" sound for a clearer faster note. Mainly use a 1.14 cat tounge or a Cool .75...

Started out as a 6 stringer and always went to the bass to figure out the notes. After awhile I figured that I had the wrong instrument! Been hooked ever since. One of a few bassist that put trills out on a 4 string!

BrownSound1
01-15-2005, 12:42 AM
I've got a Fender Jazz and a Fender Precision..might be a bit pricey for you. However, I figure with those two basses I pretty much have the spectrum covered sound wise. I've got them loaded with Duncan Antiquity pickups...I'm not an active pickup kind of guy. I use a Sadowsky bass preamp and a Radial Engineering JDV class-A direct box. Sometimes I do run through my Mesa Boogie V-Twin on the blues setting...for a bit of overdrive, but 9 times out of 10 I just go direct.

ashstralia
01-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
I've got a Fender Jazz and a Fender Precision..

good call brownsound.
ugs, you could probably find an older
japanese fender pretty cheap...
very nice basses.
i have a jazz with e.m.g's
as a workhorse, it's punchy, quiet,
and suits any style of music.

manwiththedogs
01-15-2005, 12:39 PM
If you can only have one bass, make it a Fender...fer sure.
For home recording, you may want to look into some type of direct box, the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass DI is a good one for not much $
Hope this helps.

BrownSound1
01-15-2005, 03:08 PM
You can't go wrong with a Fender...mainly because every other bass out there is trying to sound like either a Precision or a Jazz bass. The Sansamp is great, and will give you all of the amp tones you would want.

GAR
01-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Fender Jazz or Jazz-copy is good.

made in mexico, jap or indonesia don't matter

you can replace the pickups with new Duncans - that's your best
bet

Precisions are fine, classic P-sounds.

IF you can go up to $300 you might find a used Epiphone Thunderbird.

UGS
01-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Thanks for all the imput, this has been great. I'm considering a Mexican Jazz bass by Fender. For my simple needs, you can't go wrong with such a timeless classic. Maybe down the line I'll upgrade to some better pickups.

Rikk
01-16-2005, 03:16 PM
I actually throw a Fender Jazz through a simple Boss Compression/Sustainer and record direct. No amp.

The band will usually cut the track live, and I'll keep the live rhythm guitar and drums, but the bass won't be mic'd (just provide a nice ambient sound)...but the bass is cut alone afterwards directly.

Amazing sound.

DrMaddVibe
01-16-2005, 07:06 PM
My fault...I thought you said "limited budget"?

Hell, if you want it to sound great...get a Gibson Thunderbird or a Rickenbacker!

BrownSound1
01-17-2005, 03:18 AM
The Thunderbird is the only bass Gibson made that was worth a shit...and I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest. I had a friend who had a Gibson Grabber bass, with a sliding pickup....it had a nice feel to it, but it sounded like warmed over ass.

A Rickenbacker is a cool bass...haven't seen one in a long time though.

smaz
01-17-2005, 07:16 PM

This should make up for it......

http://www.tatadoheaven.com/Ric/images/ricks/rickenbacker.jpg

They actually look quite nice, I'd consider it in the future....

http://www.lucan.nl/gitaar/gitaarplaatjes/rickenbacker-lucia.jpg

Originally posted by GAR

IF you can go up to $300 you might find a used Epiphone Thunderbird.

I've got one of them, they're very nice. I'd recommend them along with a wristband/sweatband thingy, they can wear the skin off your wrist....

manwiththedogs
01-17-2005, 07:30 PM

Ricks are ok, as long as you dont try to slap on em...lol

smaz
01-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by smaz
This should make up for it......

Just noticed they're mostly guitars :D Hehehe, my bad :D

jackassrock
01-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by UGS
Thanks for all the imput, this has been great. I'm considering a Mexican Jazz bass by Fender. For my simple needs, you can't go wrong with such a timeless classic. Maybe down the line I'll upgrade to some better pickups.

Man, that's a great idea.
Mex Fenders are reasonably nice guitars. and for the price I'd say the only thing better would be a used Japanese Fender. They are usually really close copies of the USA models that are WAY cheaper.

I'd take a look at the nut too. If it's plastic you should switch to bone or even brass immediately. It will do wonders for the tone without a major overhaul.

jackassrock
01-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by UGS

Man, that's a great idea.
Mex Fenders are reasonably nice guitars. and for the price I'd say the only thing better would be a used Japanese Fender. They are usually really close copies of the USA models that are WAY cheaper.

I'd take a look at the nut too. If it's plastic you should switch to bone or even brass immediately. It will do wonders for the tone without a major overhaul.

jackassrock
01-25-2005, 01:58 PM
oops sorry bout the double post

SNIPER
01-25-2005, 02:06 PM
The best sounding bass is The Music Man stingray. You can buy the lower model which is called the sub. These basses were made by Leo Fender in the 70's. It is the most powerful raw punchy bass you could buy!! For in studio or live. I have 6 of them. Any other bass sounds like a pussy next to this one.