PDA

View Full Version : Jeb!

BigBadBrian
01-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Jeb!
Matt Towery

January 18, 2005

In last week's column, it was Newt Gingrich for president in 2008. This week brings us to consideration of another name that deserves serious consideration -- a name that now may be viewed as just as much a long shot as Gingrich, although for different reasons.

That name is Jeb Bush. He says, emphatically, he will not run. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't.

First, a bit of follow-up. I met with Newt Gingrich late last week. He continued to stick to his story that he's really just pushing the fresh policy ideas in his new book. Even so, it was clear that he is preparing to enter the next and most amazing stage of his meteoric public career. Let's put it this way: Don't be shocked to see him vacationing in New Hampshire and signing lots of books in Iowa.

Gingrich is the textbook case of a potential presidential contender whom the politically naive may discount as a candidate because they think he can't restyle his old image. They're wrong. Now let's consider another potential Republican candidate who pundits incorrectly believe could never win because of the simple fact of his family ties. That man is Gov. Bush.

Many so-called political experts are often way off when it comes to deciding this far out who can win the White House. They would have us believe a Jeb Bush candidacy in 2008 would be doomed supposedly because Americans would never elect three presidents from the same family. How interesting. Had the late Robert Kennedy lived and been elected president in 1968, there is little doubt that, in good time, brother Teddy would have seemed the next popular choice for Democrats entranced by the Kennedy mystique.

In the case of Gov. Bush, there is substance behind the notion that he could -- even should -- be elected to succeed George W. Bush. With all deference to Jeb's dad, George H.W. Bush -- whom I passionately supported in '88 and in '92 -- and to his brother, the current president, it's long been my contention that Jeb is the most articulate and the most natural political leader hanging on the family tree.

Moreover, our InsiderAdvantage surveys in Florida have consistently shown Bush to have strong approval ratings. The most recent of these surveys found him well above 60 percent approval. That's no mean feat in this divided and tumultuous political era. Some of his popularity may be attributed to his household last name. But in a state as politically diverse as Florida, there's got to be more to it. Could it be because he's been a great governor? Not just good, or even very good. Great. Here are some reasons why:

Consider that Florida doesn't have the fiscal luxury of a state income tax. Now realize the impact that 9/11 had on the state's No. 1 industry, tourism, and its ability to generate state revenue through sales and other taxes.

Now imagine meeting the diverse needs of a huge state with a large senior population and a multitude of urban areas, which bring with them many of the social and other problems attendant to tough life in the city.

Somehow through all this, Jeb Bush has managed to steer his state through rocky financial times, instilling a confidence that Florida can face up to virtually any challenge.

Bush accomplished this in part by embracing the Reagan economic philosophy. Florida eliminated some $6 billion dollars in taxes on businesses and those who invest in the state's economy. The result is a rebounding jobs market that is back to pre-9/11 levels, and boosted by a continuing expansion in economic sectors like construction and development. In fact, Wall Street has just upgraded Florida's credit rating for the first time in 30 years.

Second, Gov. Bush deep-sixed the good-ole-boy system of state government, a relic of Florida's old days of system-abusing, "hail-fellow-well-met" Democrats. He passed legislation that transformed Florida's civil service system into one that is merit-based, not tenure-controlled. Many positions in state government that were once private political fiefdoms are now accountable to the state's chief executive. That includes Florida's head of public education, once elected, now appointed by the governor. Bush even dispensed with the Board of Regents -- almost universally a private little kingdom with too many kings -- instead of allowing state universities to continue serving as their own governing bodies.

And speaking of education: Bush has spearheaded the Florida Comprehensive Achievement Test (FCAT), which has set real standards for public schools. The governor has held those schools accountable for their test results. It was controversial with the state's teachers union, but it has proven the catalyst for real improvement in public schools.

Now throw this in the mix: While some Republican leaders talk about privatization of government services, Bush has set in motion a whirlwind series of initiatives to privatize everything from prisons to mental health facilities. Jeb Bush is a true conservative with a progressive bent.

All of the above said, it now looks like Bush wants his name taken out of consideration for the presidency in 2008. But just as the concept of Newt making a big comeback isn't so far-fetched, a Jeb Bush run makes equally good sense. In the end, both men must make their own decisions. But it's great to see the GOP with leaders who are bright, widely known and able to turn rhetoric into government policy -- leaders capable of, well, leading.

FORD
01-18-2005, 09:47 AM
After 4 more years of destruction, crime, stupidity, and national embarrassment at the hands of the BCE , nobody named "Bush" will ever again be elected to any national office.

But then, Junior was never elected either, so until the electro-fraud machines and the whore media are brought down, "elections" mean nothing.

DLR7884
01-18-2005, 09:52 AM
:sleepy:

DLR7884
Let it go already! :D

Vivian Campbell
01-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Please.... God... No!

Spc. Graner
01-18-2005, 10:49 AM
The Bush family provides the leadership and direction that this country needs. They are returning integrity and inconfidence to the cum stained halls of the White House.

I nominate the Bush family for Royalty status. You know, like in England. Americans really are not intelligent enough to vote.

Guitar Shark
01-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by FORD
But then, Gregoire was never elected either, so until the electro-fraud machines and the whore media are brought down, "elections" mean nothing.

Agreed 100%

FORD
01-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Not a valid comparison, Matt. Especially since the local mediawhores (just like the national ones) are GOP/Neocon asskissers. And Republican Sam Reed, went against his partisan interests and WITH the law, which is exactly what Cruella Harris in Florida and the Asshole Blackwell in Ohio did NOT do.

Guess it all comes down to a Secretary of State who is elected by the voters, and not a partisan operative. Which is why Chris Dunce and the other Sore LossiRossiman whiners are trying to force him out now.

Pontius Pilate
01-18-2005, 04:06 PM
All hail American aristocracy!

http://www.isdesigners.com/kennbros.jpg

Pontius Pilate
01-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Not a valid comparison, Matt. Especially since the local mediawhores (just like the national ones) are GOP/Neocon asskissers. And Republican Sam Reed, went against his partisan interests and WITH the law, which is exactly what Cruella Harris in Florida and the Asshole Blackwell in Ohio did NOT do.

Guess it all comes down to a Secretary of State who is elected by the voters, and not a partisan operative. Which is why Chris Dunce and the other Sore LossiRossiman whiners are trying to force him out now.

Mr. Ford, care to respond to the fact that King County votes exceeded the county's population? Democrats and fraud! Oh no. We must be mistaken.

FORD
01-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Got a source for that? And FAUX News, Rush Limbaugh and Chris Dunce are not sources.

Nickdfresh
01-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Pontius Pilate
All hail American aristocracy!

http://www.isdesigners.com/kennbros.jpg

Excellent! The flower of America.

DEMON CUNT
01-18-2005, 09:18 PM
After 4 more years of destruction, crime, stupidity, and national embarrassment at the hands of the BCE , nobody named "Bush" will ever again be elected to any national office.

But then, Junior was never elected either, so until the electro-fraud machines and the whore media are brought down, "elections" mean nothing.

It seems as though the neocon shitbags just fall farther and farther into their brainwashed denial of reality.

Watch the way Jeb is portrayed in the media from now on. They'll start to prop him up as a political media darling. The President's big brother they'll call him. The right-wing pundi-trons on TV will instruct the conservatives to lick ol' Jebbie's balls clean. At which time the conservatives will leap to their feet to start licking with flags waving and a prayer in their hearts.

I predict a fucking landslide in 2008 for Jeb. The Dems will run some boring middle aged white guy with a flat personality who cannot articulate a platform because he's too busy covering his crotch due to all of the low blows the media will be delivering.

vhrightnow
01-19-2005, 04:26 AM

lol you are so dumb.........you just cant open your eyes, can you?

blueturk
01-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
It seems as though the neocon shitbags just fall farther and farther into their brainwashed denial of reality.

Watch the way Jeb is portrayed in the media from now on. They'll start to prop him up as a political media darling. The President's big brother they'll call him. The right-wing pundi-trons on TV will instruct the conservatives to lick ol' Jebbie's balls clean. At which time the conservatives will leap to their feet to start licking with flags waving and a prayer in their hearts.

I predict a fucking landslide in 2008 for Jeb. The Dems will run some boring middle aged white guy with a flat personality who cannot articulate a platform because he's too busy covering his crotch due to all of the low blows the media will be delivering.

By 2008 the draft will have been reinstated and it SHOULD be hard for a Republican to win. On the other hand,never misunderestimate the ability of the neocons to overlook any fuck ups in their blind devotion to the party.

Nickdfresh
01-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Let's see how people feel about the Bush's after a few more thousand U.S. soldiers are killed in the Iraqi quagmire and God knows what else as the country lapses further and further into civil war. In a few years the Bush name will be synonymous with shit.

BigBadBrian
01-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Excellent! The flower of America.

All we need is one more bullet. :gun:

Nickdfresh
01-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
All we need is one more bullet. :gun:

That would solve a few problems.

BigBadBrian
01-19-2005, 07:50 AM
That would solve a few problems.

I didn't say who it was for, did I? ;)

BigBadBrian
01-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Regardless, Jeb WON'T have my support in '08.

He is an interesting guy to listen to, but I don't like some of his domestic agenda.

FORD
01-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by vhrightnow
lol you are so dumb.........you just cant open your eyes, can you?

An illiterate Busheep says I'm dumb and can't open my eyes. If we weren't living in an Orwellian nightmare, I would think this ironic.

FORD
01-19-2005, 09:31 AM
In a few years the Bush name will be synonymous with shit.

In a few years?

I've been saying that since 1981, when it was obvious that Poppy rigged the Iran hostage thing.

ODShowtime
01-19-2005, 01:28 PM
In a few years?

I've been saying that since 1981, when it was obvious that Poppy rigged the Iran hostage thing.

Yeah, I was gonna say...

gw will have to fuck things up REAL bad to actually offend the mindless horde that he can thank for his victory.

it will be too late by that point.

Wayne L.
01-19-2005, 07:41 PM
I don't think Jeb Bush will run for president in 08 but Newt Gingrich more than likely will.

Nickdfresh
01-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I don't think Jeb Bush will run for president in 08 but Newt Gingrich more than likely will.

Well well well, look who discovered he is no longer banned...More insightful commentary from Wayne L.

Wayne L.
01-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Well well well, look who discovered he is no longer banned...More insightful commentary from Wayne L.

I was never banned by the DLR Army in the first place because having an opinion isn't against the law. Do you think Jeb Bush will run for president in 08 Nickdfresh?

Nickdfresh
01-19-2005, 08:19 PM
I was never banned by the DLR Army in the first place because having an opinion isn't against the law. Do you think Jeb Bush will run for president in 08 Nickdfresh?

Actually you were banned for threatening to shut down the site, and then unbanned. And I doubt he'll get far if he does.

DEMON CUNT
01-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Regardless, Jeb WON'T have my support in '08.

He is an interesting guy to listen to, but I don't like some of his domestic agenda.

No shit?

OK, let's hear your feelings on Jeb's "domestic agenda."

Wayne L.
01-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Actually you were banned for threatening to shut down the site, and then unbanned. And I doubt he'll get far if he does.

I wasn't banned at all.

Nickdfresh
01-19-2005, 09:30 PM
I wasn't banned at all.

YOU WERE BANNED CUNT! I busted your lying, trailer-trash ass once tonight ("I never said that"--"Big deal"). Do I have to own you all night you terminally slow bumkin?!

P.S. You were banned for your tirade on New Years Eve in the Aerosmith thread!
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15358&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

twonabomber
01-19-2005, 09:34 PM
isn't Jeb marrried to a Hispanic? there are still pockets of rednecks that don't approve of that and won't vote for him.

Wayne L.
01-19-2005, 09:46 PM
YOU WERE BANNED CUNT! I busted your lying, trailer-trash ass once tonight ("I never said that"--"Big deal"). Do I have to own you all night you terminally slow bumkin?!

P.S. You were banned for your tirade on New Years Eve in the Aerosmith thread!
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15358&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't.

DLR7884
01-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Wayne, you were banned.

For some reason, you are back.

I'm sure it won't last long.

You aren't calm....you certainly aren't cool....and the only thing you collect are scabs and your boogers.

DLR7884
You'll fuck this up for yourself soon enough. :)

Satan
01-20-2005, 10:09 AM
We don't even want Wayne in Hell! And we don't turn down too many people.

Nickdfresh
01-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Wayne, you were banned.

For some reason, you are back.

I'm sure it won't last long.

You aren't calm....you certainly aren't cool....and the only thing you collect are scabs and your boogers.

DLR7884
You'll fuck this up for yourself soon enough. :)

I'm not so sure, they seem to be pursuing an irritating, but slightly entertaining, morons will not be banned policy (i.e. Katydud).

DLR7884
01-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm not so sure, they seem to be pursuing an irritating, but slightly entertaining, morons will not be banned policy (i.e. Katydud).

True, but Katy is more entertaining than Wayne.

DLR7884
Just watch, if he posts like he used to, he'll be gone quickly.