PDA

View Full Version : Pick-ups...

smaz
01-19-2005, 07:25 AM
I was thinking about getting some new pick ups for my bass, but only if it would be worth it. I thought I'd ask you experts first.....

Are they easy to install???
Are they worth it???
How much difference do they make???
What are the best one's, but at a reasonable price???
Is it worth it???
Any other info/tips???

Currently got an Epiphone Thunderbird.............

BrownSound1
01-19-2005, 03:35 PM
As far as a name brand I personally love Seymour Duncans, but I'd say you'd be ok with DiMarzios too. If you aren't sure about installation, then get a tech to do it. It isn't hard, but I've been working with electronics and wiring for more years than you've been living.

The difference in tone can be anything you want, from subtle to extreme...just depends on what you are looking for in a tone.

Cato
01-20-2005, 07:21 PM
I've never seen any replacement pickup for Thunderbird, though...

Katydid
01-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Cato
I've never seen any replacement pickup for Thunderbird, though...

Just say, " Jack Daniels if you please.." That should bring her to her knees.

Girls don't like Winos.

Cato
01-20-2005, 09:45 PM
just curious...how does your son feel you spamming this site?

jackassrock
01-25-2005, 01:39 PM
There's probably two connections to solder for each pup. If you can solder, and read directions you should be able to handle it.

I've never seen replacements for a t-bird either, but sometimes you see Gibsons on e-bay for a reasonable price.

Check it Smaz, I just got a Gibson Blackbird a few weeks ago. It sounds freakin great. More P-bassy than I've ever heard a t-bird. If you can find a set of these pups you'll cut through with no trouble at all.

Panamark
01-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Agree with Brownsound1. Seymour Duncan, cant go wrong !

Panamark
01-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Easy to install, just solder the wires in the same place..
A good idea is to get the pickup you want, then take guitar to a
guitar shop for a full setup. Most shops will install a pickup
as part of the cost of a standard setup if you provide the pickup.
(If you are worried about installation)

BrownSound1
01-26-2005, 04:03 PM
As a general rule there are only two wires to connect on pickups...unless you're into coil tapping and going out of phase, then you've got 4 wires to deal with. Duncan and DiMarzio both have wiring diagrams on their websites, complete with their respective color code schemes. Like I said above, it isn't hard, but if you're intimidated by it then there is nothing wrong with getting a tech to do it.

Cato did bring up a good point, I've never seen T-Bird replacement pickups that I can think of.

manwiththedogs
01-27-2005, 04:58 PM
http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s.htm

kentuckyklira
01-28-2005, 06:44 AM
Really depends on what youŽre looking for.

But, first things first, if you want to get your Epiphone to sound like a Gibson, forget it, it wonŽt work!

Other than that IŽd say search the internet for some clips comparing various pick-ups, I know there are such sites, just donŽt know where!

Kristy
01-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Depends really on what kind of bass you have, what system (i.e., amp) you're playing it through and your over all playing style.

Best thing you can do is go to a music store that sells a lot of basses and then see what bass with whatt pickup you like the sound of best. Also as a rule of thumb, bass pick-ups can be more expensive then guitar pick-ups (as in active pick-ups that require battery power) and it really isn't wise to spend more on the pick up then what the bass is actually worth.

Atomic_Rob
01-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Ummmm Smaz your bass sounds FINE the way it is

GAR
01-31-2005, 03:45 PM
I thought Duncan had a T-bird pu but afraid I was wrong.

Nikki Sixx had one just like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64402&item=3779389393&rd=1

- originally which he sold to Mel from Abbatoir, who sold it to a guy named Randall Wong from Sacramento. He sent it to me with the popped-headstock thing like this and I restored the whole thing back in 85.

I like how the real ones were put together. Buy the real thing and ebay the Epi clone.