PDA

View Full Version : Hackett resigns as Jets offensive coordinator

Bob_R
01-19-2005, 02:11 PM
January 19, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- New York Jets offensive coordinator Paul Hackett resigned Wednesday, ending a four-year stint marred by criticism for his conservative play-calling.

The move was expected after the Jets' 20-17 overtime loss to Pittsburgh in the second round of the playoffs Saturday.

Jets head coach Herman Edwards ``and I agreed that the time was right to move in another direction,'' Hackett said in a statement. ``There are other opportunities that I would like to explore. I leave knowing that I've worked extremely hard and had a hand in the organization's recent success.''

The Jets showed little imagination in their version of the West Coast offense, ranking 17th in the NFL in scoring this season even though Curtis Martin led the league in rushing with 1,697 yards.

Chad Pennington threw for 2,673 yards and only 16 touchdowns, while the Jets ranked 22nd in passing yards and managed 51 points in the first quarter during the regular season.

Once Pennington returned from a strained right rotator cuff in December, Hackett went even more conservative. The tight ends were virtually invisible in the offense, and playmaker Santana Moss was hardly used after a breakout 1,000-yard season.

Perhaps most upsetting to team officials was the lack of offensive scoring in four games against Pittsburgh and New England, where they managed a total of two touchdowns.

``The biggest negative is not being able to score enough points in those games,'' general manager Terry Bradway said Tuesday. ``You can go back, and find out that there were probably a bunch of plays that were left on the field.''

Hackett started losing his supporters midway through the season. Edwards never gave his longtime friend a ringing endorsement, while Pennington would only say that he supported any decision Edwards made on the coordinator's future.

Even when Hackett tried to mix things up, it failed. One play that will be remembered from the regular season is LaMont Jordan's pass with the Jets leading the Ravens 14-0 late in the first half. Ed Reed intercepted in the end zone, Baltimore gained momentum and eventually won 20-17 in overtime.

``Looking at what we need to do to move forward, Paul recognized that a change needed to be made for a number of different reasons,'' Edwards said in a statement.

Hackett joined the Jets after serving as head coach at Southern California from 1998-00. He was also head coach at Pittsburgh before taking over as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach in Kansas City from 1993-97.

Among those thought to be candidates to replace Hackett are Chiefs QBs coach Jason Verduzco and Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy, whose contract is up.