PDA

View Full Version : Tim Russert interviews Bush

ELVIS
02-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Sunday, February 8, 2004

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2004/ALLPOLITICS/02/08/elec04.prez.bush/top.bush.ap.jpg
NBC's Tim Russert interviews Bush on Saturday in the White House Oval Office.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Though conceding that Iraq apparently did not possess weapons of mass destruction, President Bush defended his decision to go to war in an interview that aired Sunday, saying, "Saddam Hussein was dangerous, and I'm not just going to leave him in power and trust a madman."

In an interview with NBC's "Meet The Press" taped Saturday in the Oval Office, Bush also said he's confident he will win a second term in November.

"I don't intend to lose," he said. "I want to lead this world to more peace and freedom."

Addressing the controversy over the fact that no weapons of mass destruction have been found in Iraq, Bush said, "I expected to find the weapons."

"I'm sitting behind this desk, making a very difficult decision of war and peace, and I based my decision on the best intelligence possible, intelligence that had been gathered over the years, intelligence that not only our analysts thought was valid but analysts from other countries thought were valid."

Bush was asked by moderator Tim Russert whether his statement on the night the U.S. began the war in Iraq that intelligence "leaves no doubt" that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction was "apparently, not the case." The president responded, "Correct."

But Bush said Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein "had the ability to make weapons at the very minimum."

The president signed an executive order Friday creating a commission to review U.S. intelligence-gathering, including an evaluation of prewar intelligence. Bush gave the commission until March 2005 to finish its work.

Bush said he'd be glad to visit, but not testify before the commission.

Bush's opponents have criticized his decision to delay that deadline until after November's presidential election. But Sunday, the president said he wanted to give the commission enough time to complete a thorough assessment of U.S. intelligence gathering.

"We're in a political season, but there will be ample time for the American people to judge whether I made good calls," he said.

Bush also stood firm behind CIA Director George Tenet, denying that Tenet's job is in jeopardy. "Not at all, not at all," Bush said. "I strongly believe the CIA is ably led by George Tenet."

Bush was asked whether Congress would have authorized the war if he had gone to them and explained that Saddam should be removed because he was a threat to his people, but that it was unclear whether he had weapons of mass destruction.

"I went to Congress with the same intelligence Congress saw -- the same intelligence I had, and they looked at exactly what I looked at, and they made an informed judgment based upon the information that I had," he said. "The same information, by the way, that my predecessor had. And all of us, you know, made this judgment that Saddam Hussein needed to be removed."

But Sunday, two of Bush's Democratic rivals for president took issue with that assertion.

Speaking on "Fox News Sunday," Sen. John Edwards said Bush's statement that Congress saw the same intelligence information as the president was a "big leap."

"I'm not certain that's true," he said. "I know the president of the United States receives a different set of information than we receive on the Senate Intelligence Committee, and he receives more information, which he should."

Democratic front-runner Sen. John Kerry accused Bush on Sunday of backpedaling on the messages he gave Americans to justify going to war.

"George Bush needs to take responsibility for his actions and set the record straight. That's the very least that Americans should be able to expect," Kerry said.

"Either he believed Saddam Hussein had chemical weapons, or he didn't. Americans need to be able to trust their president, and they deserve the truth," Kerry said. (Full story)

Defends military record

On the topic of Bush's military service during the Vietnam War, Bush bristled at attacks suggesting he didn't fulfill his National Guard service.

"Political season is here. I served in the National Guard. I flew F-102 aircraft. I got an honorable discharge. I've heard this, I've heard this ever since I started running for office. I put in my time, proudly so," Bush said.

In 1972, Bush, a pilot in the Texas Air National Guard, got permission to continue his guard service in Alabama, where he was working on a Senate campaign. Reports surfaced during the 2000 presidential campaign that Bush did not report for duty during that time; Bush, honorably discharged from the guard, insisted he did.

Last week, Terry McAuliffe, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, accused Bush of being "AWOL," which led Republican National Committee Chairman Ed Gillespie to brand McAuliffe as the "John Wilkes Booth of presidential character assassination."

Bush did leave the guard eight months early. Asked why by Russert, the president said, "I was going to Harvard Business School and worked it out with the military."

Vietnam 'a political war'

Bush said he supported his country during the Vietnam War, but called the conflict "a political war."

"I supported my government," he said. "I did. And would have gone had my unit been called up, by the way."

"The thing about the Vietnam War that troubles me as I look back was it was a political war," he said. "We had politicians making military decisions, and it is lessons that any president must learn, and that is to the set the goal and the objective and allow the military to come up with the plans to achieve that objective."

Defends his handling of economy

Bush also defended his handling of the economy, despite the loss of 2.2 million jobs so far in his term and a $521 billion budget deficit.

"I have been the president during a time of tremendous stress on our economy and made the decisions necessary to lead that would enhance recovery," Bush said. "The stock market started to decline in March of 2000. That was the first sign that things were troubled. The recession started upon my arrival."

He also said the criticism of his administration's spending by conservatives, such as radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh and the Heritage Foundation, are "wrong."

"If you look at the appropriations bills that were passed under my watch, in the last year of President Clinton, discretionary spending was up 15 percent, and ours have steadily declined," he said.

"The other thing that I think it's important for people who watch the expenditures side of the equation is to understand we are at war ... and any time you commit your troops into harm's way, they must have the best equipment, the best training and the best possible pay."

:elvis:

FORD
02-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Bush "leading the world to more peace and freedom" is about as likely as Hitler leading the world to Orthodox Judaism.

ELVIS
02-08-2004, 04:29 PM
That's bullshit...

Cathedral
02-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Still comparing Bush to Hitler, eh?

That's just sad and completely WRONG!

John Ashcroft
02-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Whoops, fucked up my edit... Here comes the post.

Start from Cat's post to get the full effect... :D

John Ashcroft
02-08-2004, 09:04 PM
And why Dean is gone, and why Kerry won't win this year, and why the Dems will be in the minority for the forseeable future.

Come on Ford, what the hell do any of your candidates have to offer for the prosperity of America? And "getting rid of George Bush" doesn't count! It's a cop-out answer, and you should know this. At least the American public knows this. Maybe your party should do a little more listening rather than blasting out continuous character assasinations...

Pink Spider
02-09-2004, 07:21 AM
According to even the corporate media polls, the "people's" main objective is to dethrone Shrub. Any Democrat candidate seems to have a clear projected lead. Even if it will be the same with one selected.

If they secure Kerry to continue their dirty work, they can use Shrub as a complete scapegoat for future activities. It worked with Clinton and so on. The sheep always rally to their respective sides instead of discontinuing the cycle. If Kerry starts a war there will be an outpouring of right-winged "pacifists" and history repeats itself.

John Ashcroft
02-09-2004, 08:45 AM
How was Dukakis doing at this point of his campaign?

What about Mondale?

Nice try, now back to the kitchen.

EAST COAST
02-09-2004, 09:47 AM
WHILE YOU GUYS KEEP ON HITTIN GEORGE BUSH, HE SMILES BECAUSE ALL THE LIBS CAN DO IS GET PERSONAL AND LOOK DESPERATE. FACT, HE IS PRES... FACT, HE WILL GET REELECTED. HERMAN KERRY MUNSTER IS SHARK BAIT, HE WILL GET EMBARRASSED.. THANK GOD WE VOTE ON THIS AND IT ISNT HANDLED LIKE VAN HALEN, IF IT WAS WE WOULD BE LISTENING TO PRESIDENT SAMMY KERRY, AND THE LEAD SINGER OF VH WOULD BE JOHN HAGAR... WHAT A MESS..

Pink Spider
02-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
How was Dukakis doing at this point of his campaign?

What about Mondale?

Whatever, neanderthal man.

It's no use working yourself up in a frenzy anyway. It's not like the people have much of a choice of who the corporate media selects.

Pink Spider
02-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by EAST COAST
WHILE YOU GUYS KEEP ON HITTIN GEORGE BUSH, HE SMILES BECAUSE ALL THE LIBS CAN DO IS GET PERSONAL AND LOOK DESPERATE. FACT, HE IS PRES... FACT, HE WILL GET REELECTED. HERMAN KERRY MUNSTER IS SHARK BAIT, HE WILL GET EMBARRASSED.. THANK GOD WE VOTE ON THIS AND IT ISNT HANDLED LIKE VAN HALEN, IF IT WAS WE WOULD BE LISTENING TO PRESIDENT SAMMY KERRY, AND THE LEAD SINGER OF VH WOULD BE JOHN HAGAR... WHAT A MESS..

OK, quick right-winger pop quiz.

Rank the following by order of importance:

A. Politics
B. Van Halen
C. Football

And before you ask, this is not a trick question and there IS a difference between A and C.

:)

BigBadBrian
02-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft

:D

Pink Spider
02-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Is something wrong with the kitchen? Have you idiots ever cooked anything in your life without setting something on fire??

Besides, I have some good brownie recipes. But, you're not getting any. :cool:

EAST COAST
02-09-2004, 01:08 PM
tiny weenie spider, you seem a little bitter. thats ok, though if i believed in the liberal left wing, i would be bitter as well. here is one for you pinky, what does GEORGE BUSH, DAVID LEE ROTH, BILL BELICHICK have in common.???........................................ .................. you dont know?!!!! what a shock!!!! get back in the kitchen and when you play your yoko ono put the head phones on...

Ally_Kat
02-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Pink Spider
OK, quick right-winger pop quiz.

Rank the following by order of importance:

A. Politics
B. Van Halen
C. Football

And before you ask, this is not a trick question and there IS a difference between A and C.

:)

now, that depends. Is it NFL football or college football?

FORD
02-09-2004, 01:34 PM
tiny weenie spider, you seem a little bitter. thats ok, though if i believed in the liberal left wing, i would be bitter as well. here is one for you pinky, what does GEORGE BUSH, DAVID LEE ROTH, BILL BELICHICK have in common.???........................................ .................. you dont know?!!!! what a shock!!!! get back in the kitchen and when you play your yoko ono put the head phones on...

David Lee Roth has absolutely NOTHING in common with that unelected fraudulent moronic son of a bitch.

Junyore Grades
02-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Geeze! You're really slipping on your Democratic slander! If you were on your toes you could have made up something like "They have the same dealer." Ya'll better get on the ball, times a slippin! Tic-tic-tic-tic

Catfish
02-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by FORD
David Lee Roth has absolutely NOTHING in common with that unelected fraudulent moronic son of a bitch.

Name-calling already?
Come on, Ford, your boy still has one more state to lose before you should resort to such measures!

BigBadBrian
02-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
now, that depends. Is it NFL football or college football?

I like watching the pee wee leagues also. Those little runts are funny. :gulp:

Pink Spider
02-09-2004, 04:03 PM
here is one for you pinky, what does GEORGE BUSH, DAVID LEE ROTH, BILL BELICHICK have in common.???........................................ .................. you dont know?!!!! what a shock!!!! get back in the kitchen and when you play your yoko ono put the head phones on...

Shrub has Van Hagared the US. You're comparing him to DLR??? Have you been shooting oxycontin???

Oh, and Bill who?

:confused:

Ally_Kat
02-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I like watching the pee wee leagues also. Those little runts are funny. :gulp:

well, if it's college football then the order would be:

A. Politics
C. Football
B. Van Halen

only cuz college football is like window shopping for boyfriends :D

Ally_Kat
02-09-2004, 04:20 PM
college baseball has some hotties too (^_^)

Pink Spider
02-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Double post.

Pink Spider
02-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Well, those are good reasons.

I don't even want to know why BBB goes to Pee Wee league games, though. ;)

Cathedral
02-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Ummm, by the way, who was the last President who got elected after telling the voters they will get served a tax increase? That's what they are saying when they say they will repeal the Bush Tax Cuts. and from the W. interview he pretty much said if you vote for the Denocrat that is what will happen. then the growth in our economy stops, companies will stop hiring and they will claim it is Bush's fault.
We will not let that happen i guarentee that.
And it goes to show how Power Hungry Liberal's are....They'd fuck the progress to gain it back.

The only polls that matter are the one's that open on election day.
Republican voters are notorious for keeping quiet until they step in that booth so go ahead and get your hopes up, it will make Victory that much sweeter come November...

EAST COAST
02-11-2004, 09:59 AM
amen cathedral you see the way it truly is. democrats just hate being overshadowed by truth and reality. they are only comfortable slandering their opponents. it is a very vicious cycle, they will reverse anything to get their stamp on a bill, or their names in the papers, but the most unfortunate part is they take away all the good that has been done and trick the sheep (registered democrats).

FORD
02-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Busheep don't know the meaning of the words "truth" and "reality". And they certainly won't get either one from this Fraudministration, or from the media whores. But then, these are the people who believe everything a windbag junkie says, so go figure.

Ally_Kat
02-11-2004, 01:00 PM
the crap the profs tell me is so f'ed up, illogical, and unsupported that first off i'm amazed it comes from journalists and second off, there's no way it can be truth.

There will always be three sides to every story, esp in politics. Hell, maybe even more sides in politics.

EAST COAST
02-11-2004, 01:14 PM
why does john kerry deserve any respect, he joined a communist backed anti war movement, threw away his medals from vietnam, in 1992 backed SLICK WILLY and his draft dodging ways and declared" we do not need to divide america over who served and how"....yet he tries to call on the presidents record of service, what a bitch.... BUSH SHOULD BE NOMINATED FOR THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE, for liberating 24 million human beings in iraq. so many people do not understand the gravity of the war on terror, for god sake this is world war. if people would get it then bush could get on with his work, and not have to deal with the same questions 100 times per day.. even that moron russert was trying to grill him... look at the hillary lezbo interview and tell me russert did an evenly difficult interview with her, he was lobbing softballs at the dyke .. put him on with BILL THE NO SPIN ZONE, now that would be a fair and unslanted interview.

BigBadBrian
02-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Well, those are good reasons.

I don't even want to know why BBB goes to Pee Wee league games, though. ;)

Maybe because he has kids that age playing. Now go make us some pie.

Cathedral
02-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Maybe because he has kids that age playing. Now go make us some pie.

Don't sweat it, just the assumption that you had sick intentions without knowing anything about why you'd be there proves everything the Liberals are known to be.

I wasn't even being addressed and i found it to be offending and a needless comment.

I wonder what made her mind go there in the first place. that is more troubling in my opinion.

FORD
02-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Shrub has Van Hagared the US. You're comparing him to DLR??? Have you been shooting oxycontin???

Oh, and Bill who?

:confused:

Indeed.... Junior has Van Hagared the country, and the DLC's solution??

Kerry Cherone :(

Looks like only Howard Lee Dean can salvage this mess :D

Cathedral
02-11-2004, 10:54 PM
LMMFAO, Damn that's funny how that fits...

FORD
02-12-2004, 11:22 AM
And we all know he's got the scream.....

Pink Spider
02-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Don't sweat it, just the assumption that you had sick intentions without knowing anything about why you'd be there proves everything the Liberals are known to be.

I wasn't even being addressed and i found it to be offending and a needless comment.

I wonder what made her mind go there in the first place. that is more troubling in my opinion.

Oh, cool I offended you. :)

Pink Spider
02-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral

I just thought of an answer.

What do Catholic priests spend most of their time? A cathedral. I must have saw your username before posting.

:dork: