PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Clinton urges use of faith-based initiatives

BigBadBrian
01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Sen. Clinton urges use of faith-based initiatives
By Michael Jonas, Globe Correspondent | January 20, 2005

On the eve of the presidential inauguration, US Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton last night embraced an issue some pundits say helped seal a second term for George W. Bush: acceptance of the role of faith in addressing social ills.

In a speech at a fund-raising dinner for a Boston-based organization that promotes faith-based solutions to social problems, Clinton said there has been a "false division" between faith-based approaches to social problems and respect for the separation of church of state.

"There is no contradiction between support for faith-based initiatives and upholding our constitutional principles," said Clinton, a New York Democrat who often is mentioned as a possible presidential candidate in 2008.

Addressing a crowd of more than 500, including many religious leaders, at Boston's Fairmont Copley Plaza, Clinton invoked God more than half a dozen times, at one point declaring, "I've always been a praying person."

She said there must be room for religious people to "live out their faith in the public square."

The issue of faith in politics has been at the center of debate following the presidential election, with some arguing that Bush's strong identification with religious values was a key to his victory over Senator John F. Kerry.

The dinner was a fund-raiser for the National TenPoint Leadership Foundation and the Dorchester-based Ella J. Baker House. Both youth outreach programs are directed by the Rev. Eugene F. Rivers 3d, a leader of the clergy-based efforts to stem youth violence in Boston in the 1990s that has become a national model for community-police partnerships.

The minister has often criticized established black leaders and liberal politicians, saying they have failed to deal honestly with the problems of youth violence.

Rivers said he hoped Clinton's appearance last night would build broader support for an issue on which some Democrats have been skittish.

"She is in a position to articulate a progressive vision around this issue of faith and values," Rivers said.

"The Clintons, on faith-based solutions, have always been way ahead of the curve," said Rivers, citing President Clinton's support of a 1996 law banning the federal government from discriminating against religious organizations seeking funding available to groups delivering social services.

In her speech, Clinton praised the efforts of Rivers and others working to curb youth violence, saying those of faith are often most willing to walk the streets of the country's most dangerous neighborhoods to try to reach young people. Where others "see trouble," she said, Rivers and faith-based soldiers "see God's work right in front of them."

Although the senator has insisted that she is focused only on her work in the Senate and constituents in New York (she faces reelection in 2006), talk of another Clinton seeking the White House seems to be a topic of speculation wherever she goes.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino got the ball rolling with his introduction of Clinton last night, calling her "the first first lady to be a US senator and maybe the first woman to be something else."

"I don't know who the right person will be in 2008, but Hillary is certainly one of the most compelling political figures on the horizon," said Alan Solomont, the former finance chairman of the Democratic National Committee, who attended last night's event. '

Clinton wasn't the only would-be candidate generating buzz at the dinner. Seated prominently at the head table was Deval Patrick, a former assistant attorney general in the Clinton administration who said last week that he is considering a run for Massachusetts governor in 2006.

"I'm interested and I'm exploring," said Patrick last night. "I'm trying to cast a wide net and talk to a lot of people."

The 48-year-old black attorney from Milton said he will decide in the next several months whether to seek the Democratic nomination for the state's highest office. Patrick, who was in charge of the Justice Department's civil rights division from 1994 to 1997, left his position last month as chief legal counsel to Coca-Cola Co., where he worked for nearly four years.The event was billed as the Ella J. Baker Awards Dinner, and four leaders were honored for supporting the youth outreach efforts of the Baker House.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/01/20/sen_clinton_urges_use_of_faith_based_initiatives?m ode=PF

ELVIS
01-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Hahaha...

Listen to this attention whore try to adopt a George Bush like agenda!

Give us a break!

When Mrs. Clinton becomes the liberal candidate for 2008 (and she will), we will run Condi, and we will win!

:elvis:

Nickdfresh
01-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Hahaha...

Give us a break!

When Mrs. Clinton becomes the liberal candidate for 2008 (and she will), we will run Condi, and we will win!

Maybe you need help with your reading comprehension Elvis, the CLINTON's supported the faith based protections in 96.'

Just 'cause they are not evangelical pseudo-Christian phonies, well, here's a picture of your heroes of America:

ELVIS
01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Whatever man...:rolleyes:

FORD
01-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I have no problems with Faith Based organizations working in partnership with government agencies, when done appropriately. Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army are just two examples of such organizations who have done well.

What I have a problem with is right wing reactionaries such as the BCE determining who is and who is not a worthy faith based organization, based on their warped neocon fascist ideology, and the attempt to gut government programs entirely to shift them into churches. That is NOT what the relationship between the government and religious based orgnaizations should be.

Also I think the tax exempt status of religious organizations needs to be re-evaluated. If a church is deliberately campaigning for political candidates, then they should pay taxes, as that does NOT fall under the category of "the Lord's work"

ELVIS
01-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by FORD
If a church is deliberately campaigning for political candidates, then they should pay taxes.

Example ??

BigBadBrian
01-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Example ??

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I22994-2004Oct10

ELVIS
01-20-2005, 09:19 PM
;)

Satan
01-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Example ??

http://www.satirewire.com/news/0112/images/robertson.jpg http://are.as.wvu.edu/falwell.jpg

http://www.biblesearchengine.com/Hagee.jpg http://www.cristianismo-primitivo.org/apologetica/fotos/Paul_Crouch.jpg

http://www.bltg.com/crusade/franklin.jpg

Just to name a few...... but by extention, it's safe to add the large and profitable church/corporations whom the above represent. Southern Baptists and Pentecostals, to be exact.

ELVIS
01-20-2005, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't include John Hagee...

LoungeMachine
01-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Hahaha...

Give us a break!

You're an Idiot:rolleyes:

ELVIS
01-20-2005, 09:58 PM
No...

You da IDIOT!

LoungeMachine
01-20-2005, 10:40 PM
No...

You da IDIOT!

Fuck.

My mistake.;)

Jesterstar
01-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Fuck.

My mistake.;)

Go Ahead Suck his balls you know you want to........:p

LoungeMachine
01-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Jesterstar
Go Ahead Suck his balls you know you want to........:p

Seriously, aren't there message boards DEDICATED to ignorant, homosexually oppressed, alcoholic retards where you can hang out and BE WITH YOUR PEOPLE.?

Get a job, a life, an education, a blow job from Joe Thunder, shit just get SOMETHING in your life other than your male on make sexual fantasies IN HERE.

fucking dolt.

Satan
01-20-2005, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't include John Hagee...

You wouldn't??

Well, I watched John Hagee's program the Sunday before the Election, and every word out of his mouth for the entire hour was one long sermon on how "God will never forgive you if you don't vote for Bush".

And people accuse the Devil of mocking God and JC? :mad:

Satan
01-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Seriously, aren't there message boards DEDICATED to ignorant, homosexually oppressed, alcoholic retards where you can hang out and BE WITH YOUR PEOPLE.?

Get a job, a life, an education, a blow job from Joe Thunder, shit just get SOMETHING in your life other than your male on make sexual fantasies IN HERE.

fucking dolt.

Uh, you mean homosexually repressed, right?

There's all kinds over at Hitchworld, but I don't think the homosexuals are oppressing anybody over there.

ELVIS
01-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Satan
I watched John Hagee's program the Sunday before the Election, and every word out of his mouth for the entire hour was one long sermon on how "God will never forgive you if you don't vote for Bush".

I'm sure you're exaggerating, but I didn't see it...

Hagee can be over the top, but I believe he's a true Christian...

LoungeMachine
01-20-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Satan
Uh, you mean homosexually repressed, right?

There's all kinds over at Hitchworld, but I don't think the homosexuals are oppressing anybody over there.

No, I had it right the first time.:D

There's nothing repressed about Jester. He's full out there polesmoker.

He's oppressed by even his own.

Take pride. He's one of your's:cool:

Not for the polesmoking mind you, just for being so GodDAMNNED stupid.:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
01-20-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm sure you're exaggerating, but I didn't see it...

Hagee can be over the top, but I believe he's a true Christian...

How I would LOVE to read YOUR idea of a "true christian"

Just gimme the top ten. any order will do.:D

ELVIS
01-21-2005, 12:04 AM
#1 Danny Knight, my pastor.

LoungeMachine
01-21-2005, 12:06 AM
#1 Danny Knight, my pastor.

My mistake.

I meant top ten values/virtues/actions/

not people.

sorry:(

blueturk
01-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Hahaha...

Give us a break!

While I don't really care much for Hillary OR Condi (one is indeed a media whore and the other a fawning sycophant), there's a big difference between blatant opportunism and claiming that God speaks through you, or instructs you to declare a war.

Phil theStalker
01-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Hahaha...

Give us a break!

ELVIS, let me inform you if either of your comedic candidates runs and/or wins we're all losers. These "things" aren't leaders of great nations. These "things" are the same.

You know something, the people of the United States may need to stop these so-called elections and fight a war to get rid of these "things" and then from dirt and blood soaked lives and streets the people of America will need to rebuild A NEW NATION with it's own bank, and the old Bill of Rights they left to us to legally take back the government when the election process fails and has been taken over by global corporate criminals inside and outside of the country.

It was a nice joke to read, ELVIS. But really think about the "we's gonna we" thing. "We" ain't gonna win nothing if all this great nation has to run for the most powerful office in the world is your couple of twats then we've lost already. Get your gun. Have ammo. Have a water source, buy something now to purifiy the water, stock up on canned goods, have an escape "place" out of the metro areas (city, suburb, first rural ring). These areas will all have the nice ladies, Hillary or Condi Rice, "foreign assests" HELPING you Americans. Those nice ladies will "invite" them into our house just like Bush says. Maybe Bush will invite them in. Who know, but this world is not the same since an elements running (the one's running the country are the one's financing the loans and debt, not your voted for politicians who know the banks of the world run America and every country that's in debt to them, which is about the whole world except for, oh, Saddam Hussien, yeh, and "we," the U.S. takes him out for, for...for us? NO, silly children, Saddam was taken out by "PRETEXT," "LIE," FOR THE BANKERS GLOBAL VISION OF THEIR WORLD THEY ARE BUILDING AND FINANCING. And your government puppets did it for them with the "PERFECT PRETEXT [QUOTE FROM WOLFOWITZ] TO INVADE IRAN." And have OUR American troops DIE, DIE, DIE, DYING, DEAD TODAY, DEATH TOMORROW for the bankers global vision of thier OWNED world they are building and financing to achieve.

Get your chip, ELVIS. Connie Rice's banker bosses want to know where you are an what you're up to, son.

BigBadBrian
01-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Phil theStalker has Jumped the Shark. His stories are getting old. :D

FORD
01-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Nope. Hillary is definitely one of THEM. Did you see that fucking Stepford Neocon bitch swaying along to that Lawrence Welk reject singing Asscrotch's fascist song yesterday??

It was sicker than the song itself! If I can find a clip, I'll put it up, or for that matter if anyone else has one, go for it.

Jesterstar
01-21-2005, 11:24 AM
No, I had it right the first time.:D

There's nothing repressed about Jester. He's full out there polesmoker.

He's oppressed by even his own.

Take pride. He's one of your's:cool:

Not for the polesmoking mind you, just for being so GodDAMNNED stupid.:rolleyes:

I like how you get all defensive about me calling you gay. It sends you into a retarded rage. I love it. Your the totally gay one. Your just projecting your sexual thoughts on me.