PDA

View Full Version : Any history buffs here?

Susie Q
01-20-2005, 06:44 PM
My favorite time period is the Civil War. I have been researching this time period for years. I had a ancestor die at the Andersonville Prison in Georgia.

Below is a picture of Henry Wirz hanginghttp://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cwpb/04100/04194r.jpg

Lou
01-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Judging how this thread sank so quickly, I'd say no :D

I took "honors" History in high school. I did some hands-on stuff in 11th grade, visited Hope Lodge in Ft. Washington, PA and also was a student-guide at the Richard Wall House near my home, which was built in 1685 and continuously occupied through sometime between 1979-1981. Oldest continuously occupied house in the state. That was kinda fun doing that; what I remember most about that was the "trundle bed" and the origin of "don't let the bed bugs bite."

LoungeMachine
01-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q
My favorite time period is the Civil War. I have been researching this time period for years. I had a ancestor die at the Andersonville Prison in Georgia.

Below is a picture of Henry Wirz hanginghttp://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cwpb/04100/04194r.jpg

He was tried and convicted as the first man to ever buy a Van Hagar album.

Matt White
01-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Got a little history back ground!:D
Civil War? Crazy. Trenchwarfare! Europeans studied it, and thought it would be fun to try in WWI!
Sherman? Check trees that are in his path to the sea. A few bulges! And they AIN'T caused by the humidity!:D

Ozzy Fudd
01-20-2005, 11:21 PM
S1A....I think That should be history .

Rikk
01-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Who was Henry Wirz and what was he really convicted of?

I took a couple of American history courses in undergrad, but I don't remember Henry Wirz.

Nickdfresh
01-21-2005, 03:32 AM
War is fun to read about! I have read quite a bit on WWII mostly.

BigBadBrian
01-21-2005, 07:51 AM
WWII, Civil War, Napoleonic Era, and the Ancient Warfare Era. It's all fascinating. :gulp:

EbDawson
01-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Who was Henry Wirz and what was he really convicted of?

I took a couple of American history courses in undergrad, but I don't remember Henry Wirz.

The Confederate commander at Andersonville. He was hung in response to all the Union deaths at Andersonville mainly due to the starving conditions. Robert E. Lee offered to trade the Union prisoners he held on several occasions one for one in an exchange for Confederates held by the North. It was however, the North's official policy to deprive the South of manpower so all of Lee's offers were refused thus dooming many Union soldiers to their deaths. What a fucked up war! Nothing very civil about it.

Coyote
01-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Ancient Greece, Egypt... the 70's... :D