PDA

View Full Version : Christian Group says Spongebob and Bob The Builder Promote Queer Love!

fe_lung
01-21-2005, 02:29 PM
U.S. Christians Issue Gay Warning Over Kid Video

Thu Jan 20, 7:39 PM ET Entertainment - Reuters

By Jill Serjeant

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Christian Conservative groups have issued a gay alert warning over a children's video starring SpongeBob SquarePants, Barney and a host of other cartoon favorites.

The wacky square yellow SpongeBob is one of the stars of a music video due to be sent to 61,000 U.S. schools in March. The makers -- the nonprofit We Are Family Foundation -- say the video is designed to encourage tolerance and diversity.

But at least two Christian activist groups say the innocent cartoon characters are being exploited to promote the acceptance of homosexuality.

"A short step beneath the surface reveals that one of the differences being celebrated is homosexuality," wrote Ed Vitagliano in an article for the American Family Association.

The video is a remake of the 1979 hit song "We Are Family" using the voices and images of SpongeBob, Barney, Winnie the Pooh, Bob the Builder, the Rugrats and 100 TV cartoon stars. It was made by a foundation set up by songwriter Nile Rodgers after the Sept. 11, 2001, hijacked plane attacks to promote the nation's healing process.

Christian groups however have taken exception to the tolerance pledge on the foundation's Web site which asks people to respect the sexual identity of others along with their abilities, beliefs, culture and race.

"Their inclusion of the reference to 'sexual identity" within their 'tolerance pledge' is not only unnecessary but it crosses a moral line," Dr James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, said in a statement on Thursday.

Rodgers was astounded at the attack. "That is so myopic and harsh. You have really got to look hard to find anything in this that is offensive to anyone. The last thing I am going to do is taint these characters," he told Reuters.

Dobson was quoted by the New York Times on Thursday as having singled out the wildly popular SpongeBob during remarks about the video at a Washington D.C. dinner this week.

SpongeBob, who lives in a pineapple under the sea, was "outed" by the U.S. media in 2002 after reports that the TV show and its merchandise was popular with gays. His creator, Stephen Hillenburg, said at the time that although SpongeBob was an oddball, he thought of all the characters as asexual.

It is not the first time that children's TV favorites have come under the critical spotlight of the U.S. Christian right. Tinky Winky, the purse-toting purple Teletubbie, was in 1999 declared a homosexual role model by Rev. Jerry Falwell.

Carmine
01-21-2005, 02:45 PM
What the F! I always thought Spongbob was tappin Sandy the Squirrel. Who knew Patrick, Squidward and Mr. Krabs were on his hit list!

Mezro
01-21-2005, 02:48 PM
I think more Christian Groups promote queer love than cartoons.

Mezro...oh and Priests too...nothing helps young people find gay love faster than Catholic Priests and their Jesus finger puppet...

guwapo_rocker
01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Don't turn your back Billy!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHH!http://skyd.org/images/priest/gay-priest.jpg

Mezro
01-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Don't turn your back Billy!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHH!http://skyd.org/images/priest/gay-priest.jpg

Exactly man.

Mezro...Catholic Priests are the new terrorists...

Nickdfresh
01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
More retarded Christian Fundimentalist bullshit!

ODShowtime
01-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Attention DaveisKing: Do not let your kids watch spongebob!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Bill Lumbergh
01-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
What the F! I always thought Spongbob was tappin Sandy the Squirrel. Who knew Patrick, Squidward and Mr. Krabs were on his hit list!

:D Think he sticks Plankton up his ass?!

scottydabodi
01-24-2005, 03:11 PM
These Christian groups should just fucking RELAX. Everytime someone tries to have a bit of fun, some Christian Psychogroup raises up and makes a big stink about it... Here's some news for these bozos: Bert and Ernie promote gay relations too!!

Mezro
01-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
Bert and Ernie promote gay relations too!!

Bert puts that cone shaped head to work.

Mezro...hey Ernie...i'm gonna cum in your rubber duckie...

Carmine
01-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
:D Think he sticks Plankton up his ass?!

LMAO...gives new meaning to Crabbie Patties'!

lms2
01-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Spongebob isn't gay, he's just a nice guy...

What I don't understand is why the christian groups have to make everything sexual in nature. Ain't they getting? Is that why they are so preoccupied with the subject?

DavidLeeNatra
01-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
More retarded Christian Fundimentalist bullshit!

well...ain't these the same groups supporting mr. george w.(anker) bush?

Nickdfresh
01-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by lms2
Spongebob isn't gay, he's just a nice guy...

What I don't understand is why the christian groups have to make everything sexual in nature. Ain't they getting? Is that why they are so preoccupied with the subject?

They're projecting their warped, repressed sexuality on to everything.

FORD
01-25-2005, 02:53 AM
I think Dobson has a crush on Falwell, and it's mutual. And the self loathing old queens that they both are, they have to project it on to some poor cartoons.

Barney, on the other hand, is a total flamer. I don't think anybody would dispute that.

Rikk
01-25-2005, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
well...ain't these the same groups supporting mr. george w.(anker) bush?

Yup. And that speaks volumes...:D

BTW, the singer from the Pen band called and said he's not happy with the beer you give the band during their weekly performance. He was quite upset about it.