PDA

View Full Version : Intel or AMD?

Bob_R
01-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Do you guys have a preference over which chip is in your computer? Or, it just doesn't matter?

Which is better in your opinions?

I understand AMD has made great strides.

Yes or No?

Thanks.

freak
01-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I prefer AMD FWIW.

I build workstations and servers and have found that the AMD ones tend to fare a lot better in the field.

If you are a hard core gamer or do a lot of video editing , you'll probably do better with a high-end Intel due to the greater memory bandwidth.

Foe general all-around use though, you definitely get more bang for your buck with AMD.

Flash Bastard
01-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Intel is a sad joke. I wouldn't wipe my ass with them.

AMD is light years ahead.

Of all the computers I've built over the last 5 years, none of the AMD equipped systems presented a single processor-related problem, however half of the Intel equipped ones went 'tits up' within 3 months.

Denny
01-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Do you guys have a preference over which chip is in your computer? Or, it just doesn't matter?

Yes or No?

Thanks.

Intel, Intel, Intel.

ELVIS
01-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Yeah right, like you would know, or even have a choice...

BTW, is "tits up" good or bad ??

Flash Bastard
01-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

BTW, is "tits up" good or bad ??

In this case, it's very bad.

ELVIS
01-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Well, In all honesty, tits up sounds good...;)

tomballin
01-23-2005, 04:14 AM
I've got AMD and Intel boxes both, and service both.

Intel has less compatability problems than AMD because of some Intel patents that AMD has to work around.

However, I agree with the above post, currently AMD is a better product, and cost a lot less than Intel. Intel's living off their high priced name, imo.

guwapo_rocker
01-23-2005, 10:25 AM
AMD rocks!!

FORD
01-23-2005, 03:51 PM
I've been using AMD processors ever since the Intel Pentium III "spyware" controversy, and I've never been sorry for doing so.

I've never had any compatibility issues, whether running any version of Windows, or any distribution of Linux.

Thank God Cyrix went out of business though. Now THAT was a piece of shit processor!

freak
01-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Thank God Cyrix went out of business though. Now THAT was a piece of shit processor!

Only one processor was worse, and that was the Nec 8086 clone.

Everyone of those I built up either died or could not adequately run Lotus 123.

Pure crap.

Denny
01-23-2005, 09:40 PM
I've been using AMD processors ever since the Intel Pentium III "spyware" controversy, and I've never been sorry for doing so.

I've never had any compatibility issues, whether running any version of Windows, or any distribution of Linux.

You have AMD systems because you know how to properly build them and configure them. I will only use Intel processors mainly because there are very little problems with them.

AMD as you will know are very prone to Overheat and when the Overheat they aren't stable.

With Intels you can overclock them and they will still be stable without a crazy cooling system.

There are also alot of really crappy, cheap motheroards on the market for AMD which doesn't help things either.

Quite honestly though, It all comes down to personal preference.

Intels are generally better for Multimedia and Video Editing than AMD.

Denny
01-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by freak
Only one processor was worse, and that was the Nec 8086 clone.

Everyone of those I built up either died or could not adequately run Lotus 123.

Pure crap.

Lotus 123!!!!!! Ancient History.....

Denny
01-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC

Yes or No?

Thanks.

It just isn't about the processor you have, a big part of how good a processor will perform is down to what Motherboard you have and what Chipset is on it and also what BIOS is on the Motherboard.

The Type of RAM is a BIG CONSIDERATION too and is what Operating System you use.

Windows XP Home or Professional for instance is a piece of fucking garbage......

Windows 95, 98 and 98SE and Millenium are very outdated now.....

The only option if you are going to Use Microsofts Operation System is Windows 2000 Professional.

However, Windows are releasing a New O/S called "Longhorn" which is meant to be released later on this year or in early 2006.

FORD
01-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Only an idiot would run ANY processor today without an adequate cooling fan & heat sink. The fact that these things are now numbered in gigahertz mean that they are doing millions of instructions per second. Try doing that, and see if you don't get warm really fast ;)

Any processor that overheats will shut down. And the more recent ones won't even boot in the first place if they sense a cooling system isn't operational.

That's one of my concerns about the new Mac Mini, actually. Sure the tiny case is convenient in the fact that it doesn't take up much room. But how the fuck do you keep the thing cool?

As for Windows Longhorn, I'm not too optimistic. I liked XP at first because it seemed to run faster than Win 2K especially with extra memory. (1 gig in my primary PC) But it seems that all the patches to plug the numerous security holes in XP have totally made the thing sluggish. I tried 2 of the earlier betas of Longhorn and I just wasn't impressed. I'll give it another shot when it gets to the RC stage, but I'm not holding my breath.

Denny
01-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Only an idiot would run ANY processor today without an adequate cooling fan & heat sink. The fact that these things are now numbered in gigahertz mean that they are doing millions of instructions per second. Try doing that, and see if you don't get warm really fast ;)

Any processor that overheats will shut down. And the more recent ones won't even boot in the first place if they sense a cooling system isn't operational.

That's one of my concerns about the new Mac Mini, actually. Sure the tiny case is convenient in the fact that it doesn't take up much room. But how the fuck do you keep the thing cool?

As for Windows Longhorn, I'm not too optimistic. I liked XP at first because it seemed to run faster than Win 2K especially with extra memory. (1 gig in my primary PC) But it seems that all the patches to plug the numerous security holes in XP have totally made the thing sluggish. I tried 2 of the earlier betas of Longhorn and I just wasn't impressed. I'll give it another shot when it gets to the RC stage, but I'm not holding my breath.

I haven't kept up too much with what is happening it the Computer Industry for a while now as I am not working in it. Although I have been reading up a little bit again just recently.

I remember about 3 years that Cyrix made a processor that ran at 1ghz that didn't need a Heatsink or fan.

The things you've just mentioned are the reason I don't like Windows XP at all.

Everyone in Windowsland is stuck with Windows 2000.

All of previous versions of Windows besides 2000 and XP aren't supported by Microsoft now, I don't think.

I think Microsoft will support Win2k for a few years longer as it geared towards Business and Power Users.

The best feature of Win2k is NFTS.

freak
01-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Denny
Lotus 123!!!!!! Ancient History.....

Lotus isn't ancient. My S-100 bus Z80 CPM machine is. :)

When you stop and think about it, there haven't been that many software advances since that time (aside from GUIs)

freak
01-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Denny
AMD as you will know are very prone to Overheat and when the Overheat they aren't stable

With Intels you can overclock them and they will still be stable without a crazy cooling system.

A. Nothing is stable when it overheats

B. I'm running an AMD slightly overclocked to 2.25 GHz with a stock heatsink and fan. Seldom goes above 43 degrees celsius.

There are also alot of really crappy, cheap motheroards on the market for AMD which doesn't help things either..

That's true for either platform. Stick with decent vendors and you do not have a problem. Gigabyte motherboards are both inexpensive and solid.

Intels are generally better for Multimedia and Video Editing than AMD.

Yes, due to memory bandwidth advantages. This is true.

DeadOrAlive
01-24-2005, 12:44 AM
I dont really give a damn. if it works, it's good!

freak
01-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
I dont really give a damn. if it works, it's good!

Now, how can we have a meaningless debate with an attitude like that??? :D

This is the Roth Army!
Every cow is sacred!

tomballin
01-24-2005, 01:14 AM
Yelp XP is a basterdized 9X and Win2k products, that sucks. However, if you have a current build, strip it down, and stay away from the recent patches, INCLUDING SP-2, it works great, and is very stable.

I’ve said it a zillion times, don’t screw with the OS code, due to internet hackers/malware/etc., when possible. Have a proper firewall and protection/filter software “module” “in front” of your OS to protect it. For some stupid reason Microsoft doesn’t understand this, and now is pooping all over themselves with stupid OS/browser patches, etc.

All my R & D time the last two years, has been in developing and perfecting the OS front-end internet protection modules. I have a late version/build Win 9x OS box, with my latest protection module, that blows both my XP and Win2k box's away and it has 40% less CPU power.

Win2k was never a good internet/multi-media OS, imo, because of the lack of proper support software development. Great for business apps however, and I still use it for that purpose in my network.

At least in my bench tests, AMD blows Intel away for multi-media boxes, and that has been their whole claim to fame. Yeah they run hotter, who gives a damn, how expensive is a good heat sink/fan/artic silver, geeee.

>>All of previous versions of Windows besides 2000 and XP aren't supported by Microsoft now, I don't think.

Yes they are, at least 98, 98SE, and ME until 6/96

FORD
01-24-2005, 01:52 AM
Does anyone actually still have Windows ME on their computer? That was the biggest piece of shit Microsoft ever released. (except for maybe "Bob")

freak
01-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Does anyone actually still have Windows ME on their computer? That was the biggest piece of shit Microsoft ever released. (except for maybe "Bob")

Installed it from the MSDN CDs a couple of years ago to test an older application.

Who's braindead call was it to release that garbage? Even 3.11 was more stable/usable.

It deserves every bad thing that was said about it and then some.

spmusicplyr
01-24-2005, 02:05 AM
I am running a 2.2 gig athlon 64 on my laptop...cant complain. cant wait until they start releasing 64bit windows and 64bit AOL programs.

had an athlon 1ghz thunderbird core before that...up until may and that son of a bitch could run todays programs no problem.