PDA

View Full Version : What is the most I should pay for guitar lessons

Vivian Campbell
01-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I just got a Fender Strat and I am looking foward to taking lessons. Since I know jack shit, and don't want to get ripped off, what is the most that I should dish out for lessons?

scottydabodi
01-24-2005, 06:47 PM
In NYC the going rate is $50/hr. I get $70/hr, but, wait!! You're Vivian Campbell!!! You already KNOW how to play guitar!!!!

Vivian Campbell
01-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info Scotty.

Originally posted by scottydabodi
You're Vivian Campbell!!! You already KNOW how to play guitar!!!!

:lol:

If you listened to some recent Def Lep albums, you wouldn't think so. ;)

Eyes of the Night
01-24-2005, 09:40 PM
10 bucks hr ...

BrownSound1
01-25-2005, 02:18 AM
I never took lessons, so I dunno.

David Van Via
01-25-2005, 02:43 AM
I didn't take lessons either, good old try it over and over again 'till you get it right!

Eyes of the Night
01-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Took em' for 3 months to learn the chords ... that was the going rate 15 years ago ... lmao

GAR
02-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I would guerilla-lesson. I'd take a lesson, then take home the diagrams and workbook and work at it for a month before another lesson.

Also I would take ghost-lesson: my buddies would take lessons, then I'd come over afterwords and have them show me what they were supposed to study, and while going over their papers and book diagrams would then try to take mental snapshots of this then go home and practice it.

REMEMBER I was a fucking welfare latchkey paperboy for Pasadena Star-News.. I didn't have shit to spend. I made like $25 per month, on a good month I swear that route sucked. I had to pass the tracks to get between streets and was always catching flats from thorns.

GAR
02-01-2005, 07:40 PM
OH My buddies were spending $15-20 back in the day for a half-hour, so double that at least these days to adjust for inflation.

Panamark
02-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Free.

Listen with your ears, play with your fingers.

Buy a good chord book.

Cathedral
02-03-2005, 02:26 AM
$20 a half hour here in Cinci, and you can take them once a week.
I hated lessons because just as soon as i got comfortable, it was over.

By the way, there are countless offerings in instructional software out there that can do every bit as well as a live teacher can for you.
There was no internet when i began learning *cough* years ago.

Besides, the moment you hear your teacher ask "Hey, what was that, and how did you do it?"....It's time to leave.

GAR
02-03-2005, 04:11 PM
If your teacher asks you during your lesson time how you did a trick, I believe the proper answer would be, "sure for an extra 15 minutes"

GAR
02-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
there are countless offerings in instructional software out there that can do every bit as well as a live teacher can for you.

I've planned to get the "How I Play Guitar" 3-DVD lessons set by John McGlaughlin. It looks awesome but it's $150 bux.