PDA

View Full Version : Bush to Seek About $80 Billion for Military Operations

frets5150
01-25-2005, 08:40 AM
GOT TO SPEND A LITTLE MONEY TO MAKE ALOT OF MONEY IN THE FUTURE!!!

Bush to Seek About $80 Billion for Military Operations
By Adam Entous, Reuters
WASHINGTON (Jan. 25) - The Bush administration is seeking about $80 billion in new funding for military operations this year in Iraq and Afghanistan, pushing the total for both conflicts to almost $300 billion so far.

That means funding for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan will total nearly $105 billion in fiscal 2005 alone -- a record that shatters initial estimates of the cost.

In addition to money for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and for new Army equipment, up to $650 million is expected to be earmarked for humanitarian, reconstruction and military operations in Asian nations devastated by last month's tsunami, congressional aides said. The administration is considering debt relief for Indonesia, the hardest-hit country, they said.

The funding request comes as the U.S. Army said it is now planning to keep at least 120,000 troops in Iraq for the next two years to train and fight alongside Iraqi forces against insurgents. The Army total is part of a force of 150,000 American soldiers, Marines and other troops now in Iraq.

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California said it was Congress' "highest responsibility" to provide the troops the support they need. But she said lawmakers "owe it to them to critically examine President Bush's request."

John Pike, a defense analyst with GlobalSecurity.org, said the Pentagon might need even more money this year "because we just don't know the rate at which the insurgency will grow or subside, and we don't know the rate at which the Iraqi security forces can be stood up."

The funding request is expected to be formally submitted to Congress after President George W. Bush sends up his fiscal 2006 budget on Feb. 7.

BRACING FOR A BACKLASH

The White House is bracing for a backlash from Democrats and some Republicans. At nearly $105 billion, total funding for military operations in 2005 would be more than 13 times larger than Bush's budget for the Environmental Protection Agency.

In addition to money for military operations, at least $780 million would go to combat the drug trade in Afghanistan.

The administration is also considering including $1 billion to $2 billion to construct a new U.S. embassy complex in Baghdad, and up to $200 million in aid for the Palestinians to shore up newly-elected President Mahmoud Abbas.

Aid for Ukraine may also be included to bolster new President Viktor Yushchenko, congressional aides said.

Bush has so far pledged $350 million in tsunami aid. The new package is expected to include up to $650 million, including $250 million to $350 million for reconstruction, and up to $300 million to replenish funds spent by the U.S. Agency for International Development and the Pentagon.

Administration and congressional officials had initially expected this year's supplemental spending to total closer to $50 billion. But cost estimates skyrocketed to as much as $100 billion as the Iraq insurgency intensified.

Critics have long accused Bush and his advisers of understating the costs. Before the invasion, then-budget director Mitch Daniels predicted Iraq would be "an affordable endeavor," and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz assured Congress: "We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon."

Not including the new funding request, Congress has so far approved $120 billion for Iraq and another $60 billion for Afghanistan. Last year it also approved a $25 billion contingency fund for the Pentagon.

Yet only a fraction of the $18.4 billion set aside for rebuilding Iraq has been spent. The White House blames the insurgency for the slow pace of reconstruction.
:mad:

LoungeMachine
01-25-2005, 10:08 AM
And lest we foget the Social Security "crisis" he's creating to divert our attentions away........

Knucklebones
01-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Bush has so far pledged $350 million in tsunami aid. The new package is expected to include up to $650 million, including $250 million to $350 million for reconstruction, and up to $300 million to replenish funds spent by the U.S. Agency for International Development and the Pentagon

I love this man's priorities, a unecessary war over one of the worst natural disasters and international crises yet.

Knucklebones
01-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Heres a good perspective on how much 80 billion is, well 87 billion.

This was done last year, so it does not even show anywhere close to 300 billion.

http://www.crunchweb.net/87billion/

Knucklebones
01-25-2005, 05:31 PM
well 2 years ago

frets5150
01-26-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Knucklebones
Bush has so far pledged $350 million in tsunami aid. The new package is expected to include up to $650 million, including $250 million to $350 million for reconstruction, and up to $300 million to replenish funds spent by the U.S. Agency for International Development and the Pentagon

I love this man's priorities, a unecessary war over one of the worst natural disasters and international crises yet.

Charity begin's at home!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Fuckin Dubya.

Nickdfresh
01-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Let's cut taxes for those making over $200k a year! Just because we have never cut taxes during "Wartime" doesn't mean it isn't a simply smashing idea!

BigBadBrian
01-26-2005, 10:57 AM

I'd rather buy more ammo and armor for our boys in Iraq than pay for body bags for those ungrateful fuckers in Indonesia. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I'd rather buy more ammo and armor for our boys in Iraq than pay for body bags for those ungrateful fuckers in Indonesia. :gulp:

I rather fund both and suspend tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans until we figure how the hell we are going to get out of this mess!

academic punk
01-26-2005, 02:36 PM
The tax cuts are ridiculous at this time.

This country is in HORRIBLE fiscal condition at this time.

Though I do think the money for the military is a good idea to an extent (how can we complain about lack of armor for the troops, but then complain about the cost of it?).

FORD
01-26-2005, 02:58 PM

I'd rather recover every last dime paid to Halliburton & Bechtel supposedly for Iraq, and use that to buy armor as it should have been in the first place..

LoungeMachine
01-26-2005, 03:43 PM

Condi?

Is that you?:rolleyes:

academic punk
01-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Condi?

Is that you?:rolleyes:

hehheh!

BigBadBrian
01-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by academic punk

You have no concept of how the economy works then. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-27-2005, 01:29 PM

Yeah, that seems to be a common problem.

ODShowtime
01-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by academic punk

you believe gw too much

Angel
01-27-2005, 02:09 PM

Wow! That's got to be a first. That much $ for a region that you didn't bomb first! ;)

Knucklebones
01-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Wow! That's got to be a first. That much $ for a region that you didn't bomb first! ;)

Bush hardly started even using the money that was allocated for reconstruction of Iraq.

LoungeMachine
01-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Oh for Christ's fucking sake:rolleyes:

Spare us the "trickle down" bullshit.

If you think the tax cuts [which benefit me greatly btw] are good for an economy stretched by WAR, then you're just another Busheep moron.

Come on:confused:

scorpioboy33
01-27-2005, 09:58 PM

thats because your a real racist idiot....:)

Rikk
01-27-2005, 10:08 PM

My god...

aesop
01-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Angel

Angel...You suck. Really... You suck :)

Nickdfresh
01-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by aesop

Yeah, well, she has a point! At least lately.

BigBadBrian
01-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Oh for Christ's fucking sake:rolleyes:

Spare us the "trickle down" bullshit.

If you think the tax cuts [which benefit me greatly btw] are good for an economy stretched by WAR, then you're just another Busheep moron.

Come on:confused:

Gee, that's funny. The Kerry/Edwards plan promised to give a tax cut to 99% to all Amercians to stimulate the economy. I just looked at their website again. Its still there. I guess both candidates are full of shit, huh? ;)

BTW...the "tax cuts to the wealthy" was a myth. :gulp:

BigBadBrian
01-28-2005, 07:55 AM
:)

LoungeMachine
01-28-2005, 09:43 AM

BTW...the "tax cuts to the wealthy" was a myth. :gulp:

:rolleyes:

you can't be serious.

Hey, don't let facts get in the way

BigBadBrian
01-28-2005, 09:48 AM
:rolleyes:

you can't be serious.

Hey, don't let facts get in the way

Do a little research. Don't be a liberal lunatic. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Do a little research. Don't be a liberal lunatic. :gulp:

They would have rolled back tax cuts for the Americans making over $200k a year. Kerry/Edwards would also have stopped this Death Tax repeal retarded, nonsense.

BigBadBrian
01-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
They would have rolled back tax cuts for the Americans making over $200k a year. Kerry/Edwards would also have stopped this Death Tax repeal retarded, nonsense.

Liberals such as yourself just don't understand, do you? No, of course not.

Kerry/Edwards tried to claim that the tax cuts were intended only for the wealthiest Americans when they clearly were not. I guess they were living in a dream world, particulary when they claimed they would repeal the tax cuts for the richest 1% of Americans. At the $200,000 level, that's just hogwash.

Hillary Clinton is laughing her ass off right now. She's also in the process of making her move. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-28-2005, 11:00 AM
BigBlunderBrian: You dont' know the facts -or-
They're lying.....Is that all you got Brian?

BigBadBrian
01-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
BigBlunderBrian: You dont' know the facts -or-
They're lying.....Is that all you got Brian?

There you go...resorting to insults. :rolleyes:

You can't handle a decent debate, Lib. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-28-2005, 12:17 PM
There you go...resorting to insults. :rolleyes:

You can't handle a decent debate, Lib. :gulp:

Telling when we are having one. According to you and your debate technique, no one knows anything, or everything we DO know is a lie. You're full of it today Brian. That's your typical M.O.!:o :rolleyes:

Angel
01-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by aesop

Unfortunately, I didn't come up with it myself. I stole it from one of our comedians. Sad that it's not very far from the truth though! :(