PDA

View Full Version : Are the 80's being relived?

Steve Savicki
01-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Considering I found out that "breaking the habit" song in which someoneidentified the arist (who I forget already) is a new song, does anyone think today's music is the 80's regurgitated considering I compared that song to Michael Sembello?

There's also this song with lyrics,

"Somebody told me you had a girlfriend that looked like a boyfriend" that sounds like a cross between Frankie goes to Hollywood and Corey Hart with a harder arrangement.

If the style is indeed nicking off the 80's (besides all that rap with 80's music in the backgroup just to spice it up), at least someone remembers a good generation of music!

Figs
01-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
There's also this song with lyrics,

"Somebody told me you had a girlfriend that looked like a boyfriend" that sounds like a cross between Frankie goes to Hollywood and Corey Hart with a harder arrangement.

That's "Somebody told Me" by The Killers. Pretty good song. There's not a ton of good new stuff, but it exists. The modern rock station I listen to plays '80's and '90's stuff for an hour at lunch which is cool because it's stuff I don't hear on classic rock stations.

Shaun Ponsonby
01-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
"breaking the habit" song...the arist (who I forget already)

I think taht is Linkin' Park, or is it Limp Bizkit?

I'm not sure which, but it is definately one of them.

And yes, I do think the 80's are being relived. I wasn't there for most of it-but people who were are telling me the 80s are back. Not just in music, but in fashion etc. I've noticed that alot of 80's songs are being remixed into shitty club versions recently.

WACF
01-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Bad comparision on my part but I find some of The Killers guitar sound reminds me of Platinum Blonde....very '80's....

tydhurst
01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Some Fucking SOD put that Bloody Killers song on Over and Over and Over and Over and Over again at a party i went to on saturday night, luckily someone had the foresight to put the Immigrant Song on after!

DrMaddVibe
01-26-2005, 07:15 AM
The singer from the Killers SUCKS! Monotone, boring and flat. I'm surprised the band couldn't find someone better.

Panamark
01-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Once is enough

Soul Reaper
01-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
And yes, I do think the 80's are being relived. I wasn't there for most of it-but people who were are telling me the 80s are back. Not just in music, but in fashion etc.

Finally...it took long enough.

loss of fools
01-26-2005, 06:02 PM
all these new nme bands suck such as the killers, fraz ferdinad, razorlight ect.

rustoffa
01-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Couldn't agree more.

The new Queens of The Stone Age single sounds like a Cars' song with cowbell.

Susie Q
01-27-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Couldn't agree more.

The new Queens of The Stone Age single sounds like a Cars' song with cowbell.

I used to like the Cars. The 80's were my time to shine! It's a feel good era for me.:)

Shaun Ponsonby
01-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Don't like theindie shit, either. Having said that, Jet are quite good. Kind of like AC/DC at times.

Matt White
01-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
And yes, I do think the 80's are being relived. I wasn't there for most of it-but people who were are telling me the 80s are back. Not just in music, but in fashion etc.

Fashion?!?! Hell, I don't think I can fit into my parachute pants anymore!:mad:

Knucklebones
01-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Jet is boring and sucks

Panamark
01-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Jet dont suck. Britney, NSync and JUstin Timberlake suck.

Rock and Roll doesnt suck. Capiche ???

Lou
01-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Once is enough

Yup.

loss of fools
01-28-2005, 08:08 PM
jet dont suck but have to say there not the best of live bands. a realy good live band and new band are the datsuns. there not indie shit there just good old rock n roll.

rustoffa
01-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q
I used to like the Cars. The 80's were my time to shine! It's a feel good era for me.:)

I still like The Cars.

That stuff is ingrained in alot of our adolescence's.

Elliot Easton always struck me as having a guitar sound all his own on alot of it.

He's the guitarist for Creedence Clearwater Revival now.

That's right....saw 'em at a local amphitheater wine and cheese type dealio just this past summer.

jackassrock
01-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by loss of fools
the datsuns

Fuckin shit yeah!
My band played with them when they came to town and they blew the roof off.

Those boys bring the RAWK !!

loss of fools
01-28-2005, 08:21 PM
nice one. iv seen them four times and they were amazing everytime.

EbDawson
01-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa

Elliot Easton always struck me as having a guitar sound all his own on alot of it.

He's the guitarist for Creedence Clearwater Revival now.

Actually that's Creedence Clearwater Revisited. I guess Fogerty doesn't let them use the name even though there's original CCR guys in the band.

lms2
01-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Actually that's Creedence Clearwater Revisited. I guess Fogerty doesn't let them use the name even though there's original CCR guys in the band.

Smart move I would say. ;)

Wayne L.
01-29-2005, 07:59 AM
The kids who were the first MTV generation in the 80's & listening to Motley Crue & Madonna are reliving their past 20 years later but the decade sucked in more ways than one for rock, pop, soul & the crap known as rap.