PDA

View Full Version : My Manifesto

SilvioDante
02-09-2004, 08:09 PM
As most of us know this year is the 20th anniversary of the release of 1984, what I believe was the last great rock album released. On this occasion I took time to step back and look at the state of rock and roll. This is where it stands in my opinion.
Rock and roll got very sick in April of 1985; I think we all understand the significance of that date. It was put on it’s deathbed in April of 1994 when Kurt Kobain put the business end of a shotgun in his mouth. He became a martyr for an entire generation of pussys and rock suffered. We need to save it.
I remember the summer of ’84. On my local radio station, there would be a phone fight on their “Top 9 at 9” show (or what ever it was) between Duran Duran fans and VH fans. One or the other would be number 1. Ah, air play for a rock album, a long dead dinosaur. There have been bands to come and go, but not many rock bands. This brings me to The Darkness.
I understand that The Darkness are VERY polarizing. Justin Hawkins, the lead singer, even admitted in an interview that people are split down the middle. People either love them or hate them. But here is the thing; we all need to love them. We need to buy their records, get them TRL, and call our radio stations. We need to turn the tables on the record companies. They have dictated for years what we are supposed to see as cool. Now, they found a rock band they are testing us with. They put the bait in the water. We don’t need to take it; we need to pull them into the water with us. If this album just gets into the top 10, record companies will go look for others, who will probably be better. Competition can never hurt.
There is a revolution coming. I do not believe that The Darkness will start it. I think they are the warning shot. I do not think The Darkness will save the world; I will leave that to Coldplay and Bono. I do believe that they could be the last chance to save rock and roll from extinction.
I know I will get run outta here like Wayne L. for this post. That is fine. I will fall on the sword for this. I firmly believe that if The Darkness get popular, the kind of bands and music we all like can and will come back. Someone said anyone who listens to The Darkness is starved for good rock and roll, your right!! I am sick and fucking tired of turning on the radio and hearing the newest rap group and their sampling of Earth, Wind and Fire/Parliament/James Brown being called genus. I am tired of turning on MTV (when it is playing music) and seeing the latest Teen People covergirl/boy. I am very tired of turning on my local “rock” station and hearing crunching power chords and a guy pissing and moaning. I want to hear a melody. I want to hear two-handed guitar solos. I want to see videos with half naked chicks. I want a lead singer with an attitude!! I want our NEW Van Halen, our new Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Stones, or Who. Things have to change. We have been given the vehicle for change. We must use it before it is too late.

Thank you for your time.

Mr Walker
02-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Nice post bro...
Nice post!

If you get "run outta here" you can come crash at our place.

Golden AWe
02-10-2004, 08:26 AM
It seems that the love/hate part of the band is also very visible here at the Army...just finished writing about it on the Metal Flame-thread.

Good post, I'll share the sword if needed...

S.P.G
02-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Coldplay and Bono are overrated.

Fair enough the darkness aren't saviours, but no fucking way are those two.

They're probably responsible for the demise in music!

NE169
02-15-2004, 08:28 PM
You won't get run out like Wayne, Silvio--you used proper punctuation and kept any/all fetishes of yours to yourself!!

SilvioDante
02-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Well there is this midget thing of mine I won't get into; and I was purty durn good edgumacated,