PDA

View Full Version : Russian Lawmakers Call For Ban On Jewish Groups

ELVIS
01-25-2005, 04:11 PM
January 26, 2005 (http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050125/1/3q3ee.html)

http://sg.yimg.com/xp/afp/20050126/1046206259.jpg
Russia's nationalists call for ban on Jewish groups

Russia's nationalist lawmakers have asked the prosecutor general to ban all Jewish organizations because of their "extremist" views, in a vitriolic call ahead of this week's 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz.

The letter was dated January 13 but only rose to public attention this week. It shocked human rights defenders and even some of the original signatories reportedly changed their minds and were recalling their names.

A foreign ministry statement issued on the eve of President Vladimir Putin's attendance at the Auschwitz memorial commemoration in Poland said "the statement has nothing to do with the official position of the Russian leadership."

The seven-page call signed by 20 members of the 450-seat State Duma lower house of parliament that included the Communist Party and nationalist groups used some of the most profane language against Jews publicly published in the post-Soviet era.

"The whole democratic world today is under the financial and political control of the Jews," said the statement.

The group was led by Vladimir Zhirinovsky and his Liberal Democratic Party.

"We would not want our Russia, which is subject to a permanent, extra-legal war seeking to prevent its rebirth, to find itself among unfree countries," the statement said.

It called on the Russian courts to ban "all Jewish religious and community groups" which the statement also described as "anti-Christian" and accused Jews of staging attacks against their own community as a provocation so they could pin blame on others.

"We would like to underline that many anti-Jewish acts around the world are staged by the Jews themselves as a provocation in order to take punitive measures against patriots," the letter said.

The Russian state officially does not subscribe to any religion but Orthodox Christians dominate the country's religious life and often enter into politics with the patriarch's frequent meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin and some visiting heads of state.

"We cannot follow the false idea of tolerance which is imposed on us, such as that of the acceptance of sin, of evil, of heresy, and in the present case, of nothing less than satanism," said the document.

It was also published by a periodical called Orthodox Russia in a version that had some 500 signatures that included editors of nationalist publications.

The appeal was published on paper carrying the parliament's letterhead and called on Russia's prosecutor general to "officially open a legal investigation into banning all Jewish religious and community groups" on grounds of "defense of the homeland."

The Israeli embassy here issued a statement asking the Russian government to "immediately" take measures to fight growing anti-Semitism in the country. "This is a classic example of anti-Semitism," the statement said.

The letter and the following Israeli appeal have not been covered by the state-controlled media.

But rights groups were quick to vent their outrage. The Moscow Bureau for Human Rights appealed to both Putin and Prosecutor General Vladimir Ustinov asking the two to denounce the anti-Jewish drive.

"Will Russia be able to put a stop to the brewing neo-nationalism," the human rights body's letter demands.

Meanwhile Andrei Cherkizov -- one of Moscow's most noted Jewish commentators who appears on Moscow Echo radio -- accused the Russian government itself of secretly harboring ant-Semitic views.

"I can tell you this with absolute certainty," Cherkizov told the radio station. "However you try to cover up anti-Semitism, its naked feet will still be sticking out."

Meanwhile Russia's Inter-religions Council called the appeal a "gross violation."

It added said the letter "has added serious arguments for future US State Department condemnations of our country's polemics."

Washington recently expressed concern about the fate of Jews living in Russia. A series of booby trapped anti-Semitic signs injured several people last summer.

:elvis:

Nickdfresh
01-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Hardly shocking since it was the Czar's Russian secret police that fabricated the infamous "Protocols of the Elders of Zion."

ELVIS
01-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm sorry the shock value of the article isn't up to your standards...

Nickdfresh
01-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Are you pissed that I am not shocked or something?:rolleyes:

Mishar_McLeud
01-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I'm surprised it took that long for Zhirinovsky to say that out loud...
Did you know that brain-sick morons have been painting swastica on Jewish cemetaries since late 80-es? Jeez I'm happy my country sepparated from those dickheads in 1991 :rolleyes:

FORD
01-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Just one more piece in the puzzle leading up to Ezekiel 38-39.

BTW, I remember Zhirinovsky mentioned as a serious contender totake Yeltsin's place at one time. Pooty Poot better pay very close attention to what he eats and where it comes from. Just ask the dude in the Ukraine who barely survived such an attempt. Or Yasser Arafat, who didn't.

Mishar_McLeud
01-31-2005, 07:46 PM
No, actually Zhirinovsky is Putin's right hand. I'm serious about that, he's party (eg he) has been chosen to play just the role he is playing now - shocking the world with such kinda statements, and for Putin to deny all the shit he says. All LDPR's (Lyberal-Democratic Party of Russia) statements are being written in Kremlin, so those two guys just play cliche good cop/bad cop game.

JCOOK
02-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Just one more piece in the puzzle leading up to Ezekiel 38-39.

BTW, I remember Zhirinovsky mentioned as a serious contender totake Yeltsin's place at one time. Pooty Poot better pay very close attention to what he eats and where it comes from. Just ask the dude in the Ukraine who barely survived such an attempt. Or Yasser Arafat, who didn't.

FORD: Do you really believe Yasser was poisoned?:rolleyes: